Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,469 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial (38260 Views)

Asari Dokubo To Governor Fubara: Rivers Is Not A Christian State / MURIC Blasts Governor Wike For Declaring Rivers Christian State / Governor Wike: Rivers Is A Christian State – No Apologies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by zoedew: 6:58am On Dec 03, 2019
Ctorch:

https://punchng.com/rivers-is-not-a-christian-state-wike/?fbclid=IwAR0iMLRgJEBMh3nV_wxf-AZuJU8yFPgP0CsYX9YKNFBvJcK30B1qyElZhMQ

It should be interesting to see The Punch Editorial on States in the North who surreptitiously and also overtly run their States as Islamic States and put down Christianity by refusing to allow the use of land to build churches.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:31am On Dec 03, 2019
NaMeAboki:

Look, I have no time for childish questions; if you have a point to prove, kindly go ahead or else STFU.
You're the one who needs to STFU. You think everyone is stupid? You guys installed sharia in ur states to do what exactly? By that implied action, those states are Islamic states. So all that your story is as useless as the brain it came from. FYI until you can explain what hisbah police is for, and their relevance in a secular society, all those ur Islamic states remain what they are
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Enwhen(m): 7:52am On Dec 03, 2019
Nasir123:

I absolutely agree with you on your submission.

But let me say this,its happening everywhere.

See,when I was in secondary school in the south, Warri precisely. I was personally stopped from gathering Muslim student(as I was their president then). But the Christian were allow to organized themselves.
We also have a time table for Muslim religion studies during my ss days,but we were never thought for once . But we always have our classes on CRS.
That was about 20years ago now. And still happening.
What about in the East? Where governors prioritize one doctrine (Catholism) than the rest? Were as we also have other Christians faith,even Muslims(even if it's only 0.1%) as indigenes .

I'm not trying to prove anything to you. But just to let you know these things happens everywhere.

But if we must be a Nigerian in the first place,these religion factors are not suppose to be playing out.
The state in the first place should have stopped the use of public fund for Hajj or Jerusalem,that should never have been done in the first place.
And that's the main reason we're not moving forward as a nation. And these are the things we should talk about.

As for me, a person,a Muslim, I do not subscribe to the reasoning of making a state a religious state. Muslims or Christians.
I just believe that's not the way it should be.

I believe since we have other minor religion in the state and in life,I believe their right should be respected in governance.
After all ,they are all indigenes.

You were not allow to gather muslims students in warri , I doubt that something must be wrong , maybe u people didn't have IRK/IRS teacher. I know warri very well, which school is that ,Majority of warri people doesn't understand what is called Muslims as that 20years back u said, infact like 15years back , u will hears some calling Ramadam hausa Christmass... For religious issue count warri out, they don't even have time for it...its my place , but I didn't grow up there, I remember visiting with my friends from the north , the first time we went there , there was no mosque because no body was ready to build one, and we have to drive to Huasa quarters that Friday afternoon to find one, but in 2013 that we went there are mosque in many locations, but one thing I observed is that even my Muslims friends for the north were not happy with it is that when u see the hausa Muslims in warri mostly the girls that grew up there are far not measure with the ones in the north, after prayers , a parents told my friends that he doesn't allow his children to stay in state, once they grow up he send them to the north for schooling because he doesn't like the environment for his children ...u maybe be stop from gathering students because u are also a students , you know the rate of cultists there ??, If students are allowed to be doing that u Know the implications, it would have been better for the IRK/IRS or maybe the Arabic teacher to organise such gathering and not a students. If u people had a Islamic teacher in the school, he would have been easy for him to gathered and registered the association , so that if there is any breach of school rules , even as a christians, in command day secondary school, they only allow Roman Catholic and Protestant students fellowship because of same fear , while those of us that are Pentecostal were not allow to form any...and I understand that... Warri is never a city for religious issue... May God help us to do what is right and be holy rather than playing religion where corruption , killing , hunger strives
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by ProudDick: 8:34am On Dec 03, 2019
NaMeAboki:

Alcohol was just an addition to the list of intoxicants prohibited in the state, just like the American government did in its prohibition years.

Besides, its consumption is not sine qua none to Christianity or an interference with anybody's faith.

Wrong, the constitution does guarantee you a right to alcohol; in fact governments have a right and many do; prohibit its citizens from consumption of a range of things; drugs, alcohol, certain medicines etc.

Alcohol is not prohibited under the Nigerian law but Kano is prohibiting Nigerians from taking it. Why are northerners wailing when a Southern governor bans cattle movement in their states?
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 11:40am On Dec 03, 2019
Agboriotejoye:

You're the one who needs to STFU. You think everyone is stupid? You guys installed sharia in ur states to do what exactly? By that implied action, those states are Islamic states. So all that your story is as useless as the brain it came from. FYI until you can explain what hisbah police is for, and their relevance in a secular society, all those ur Islamic states remain what they are

Your insolence is noted.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 12:04pm On Dec 03, 2019
ProudDick:

Alcohol is not prohibited under the Nigerian law but Kano is prohibiting Nigerians from taking it. Why are northerners wailing when a Southern governor bans cattle movement in their states?

If you had read and comprehended the last paragraph of my immediate post (which you just quoted,) you would have had no need to make the above highlighted statement.

No, northerners were not wailing against the anti - open grazing laws passed by southern states (although I believe in the case of Benue, the MACBAN took the issue up in court and lost) because majority of them recognise the constitutional rights of Nigerian states enact laws consistent with interest of their citizens - unlike some folks who still seem to be ignorant of such rights.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Nasir123(m): 4:26pm On Dec 03, 2019
Enwhen:

You were not allow to gather muslims students in warri , I doubt that something must be wrong , maybe u people didn't have IRK/IRS teacher. I know warri very well, which school is that ,Majority of warri people doesn't understand what is called Muslims as that 20years back u said, infact like 15years back , u will hears some calling Ramadam hausa Christmass... For religious issue count warri out, they don't even have time for it...its my place , but I didn't grow up there, I remember visiting with my friends from the north , the first time we went there , there was no mosque because no body was ready to build one, and we have to drive to Huasa quarters that Friday afternoon to find one, but in 2013 that we went there are mosque in many locations, but one thing I observed is that even my Muslims friends for the north were not happy with it is that when u see the hausa Muslims in warri mostly the girls that grew up there are far not measure with the ones in the north, after prayers , a parents told my friends that he doesn't allow his children to stay in state, once they grow up he send them to the north for schooling because he doesn't like the environment for his children ...u maybe be stop from gathering students because u are also a students , you know the rate of cultists there ??, If students are allowed to be doing that u Know the implications, it would have been better for the IRK/IRS or maybe the Arabic teacher to organise such gathering and not a students. If u people had a Islamic teacher in the school, he would have been easy for him to gathered and registered the association , so that if there is any breach of school rules , even as a christians, in command day secondary school, they only allow Roman Catholic and Protestant students fellowship because of same fear , while those of us that are Pentecostal were not allow to form any...and I understand that... Warri is never a city for religious issue... May God help us to do what is right and be holy rather than playing religion where corruption , killing , hunger strives

Let me tell you this.
Warri is where I was born,where I grew up.
If you ask me,I'll tell you Warri is one of the best place on earth to grow up in. If I should come back in life I'll still want to be born there. That's a place I'll always love and respect.
But Warri, like every other places also have their own issues.
I attended two secondary schools. But I will say there was never a day we had an Islamic study.
The first time I saw it on the timetable was when I was at my second secondary school. I was so excited seeing it and hope to even see how its been thought, but no,it never came.

Let's forget all this plenty talk.
This is where I was born.This is where I grew up. The first time I consciously travel out of Warri, I was already over 18.
The point is,up until now,at the moment, there is no public school that teaches Islamic study or IRK you can call it.

Let's just be frank to ourselves.
Everywhere,every religion has very wicked and Dangerous people. So Religion shouldn't be problem to us. It suppose to unite us.
If my God is so angry of you,He should by himself kill the person. After all he has all the powers.
I'm not going to do that for him.
I'm too small to fight for him.

What I'm more concern about is how you treat your fellow humans. How you treat me.
Because if you give me too much nonsense, I wouldn't take it.
So if you are WICKED, I already take you for a bad person. So in the first place,we can never be friends.

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't help you if need be o! But in my own reasoning. It's either I look God face ,or I lock up.
But I will never call a good man a bad man.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by XaintJoel20: 5:51pm On Dec 03, 2019
NaMeAboki:

If you were not that gullible; then why didn't you say the same for codeine syrup, tramadol, cannabis, cocaine and other intoxicants also banned in the state and FG?

Those stuffs you mention up there, were they banned on religious ground?
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 3:50am On Dec 04, 2019
XaintJoel20:

Those stuffs you mention up there, were they banned on religious ground?

No but on social and moral grounds, just like alcohol was banned by the state and also at some time in America - hope that clarifies everything.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Kfed4ril(m): 12:13am On Dec 07, 2019
NaMeAboki:
OP was on point until he made the same mistake many others continue to make concerning adoption of Sharia in the 12 northern states.

Let us get this very clear; so far Wike is only governor to declare a particular religion (Christianity) for his state; I repeat, no other other governor has done what Wike did - including those northern governors who introduced sharia penal code in their states.

There is a big difference between adopting a religious law (alongside others) targeted only at it's adherents (Sharia for Muslims only) against adopting or declaring a particular faith (Christianity) as the blanket and only religion (at the exclusion of others) for a state - as Wike did.

Unfortunately, many Nigerians are being deliberately misled by those opposed to Sharia (CAN, the media etc) into believing otherwise - it is even more unfortunate that many seemingly intelligent folks have been gullible enough to have fallen for this false narrative; including the OP.

The way you buharist twist facts to suit you baffles me.
So when hisbah police in Kano ransack beer parlors, how is that targeted at the adherents?
Or when the oppress non Muslims girls who don’t wear hijab or are scantily dressed.

Be truthful for once and shame the devil.
The sharia In the north affects everybody and not just the Muslim, you don’t have problem with it, where you have problem is far away rivers State where you prolly have nothing with, now or in the future.

If we can have sharia in the north why can’t we have Christain states in the south?
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Kfed4ril(m): 12:19am On Dec 07, 2019
NaMeAboki:

Big lie, food vendors are free to sell their wares at anytime during Ramadan to anyone; whether Muslims or Christians; what you fail to realise is that there are many Muslims exempted from fasting during the said period, e.g. children below puberty, the sick, menstruating women and even travellers.

It would have been disingenuous therefore to ban the sale of food, in view of such ppl; besides, nothing stops a fasting person from buying his food for later consumption at the appropriate time - your allegation is completely false and a figment from your biased imagination.

On the contrary, the ban on sale and consumption of alcohol in the state was NOT enacted UNDER SHARIA law but under conventional law through the State House of Assembly.

This lie is being told by Christians in Nigeria opposed to Sharia and promoted through an obviously biased media; besides, the ban cannot in any way prevent Christians from practising their religion; just as it did not in America when that country also did same in its prohibition years.

In this talk, the only thing I could pick is that you don’t have a problem with sokoto and Kano been sharia states but you have problem with rivers been a Christian state.
This my friend is pure hate speech.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 4:44am On Dec 07, 2019
Kfed4ril:

In this talk, the only thing I could pick is that you don’t have a problem with sokoto and Kano been sharia states but you have problem with rivers been a Christian state.
This my friend is pure hate speech.

Oga, your ignorance on this matter is showing; there is a big difference between adopting a specific religion for the entire state (as Wike did) against adoption of a religious penal code (sharia law) for application only its adherents (Muslims) - I have already clarified this distinction in my 1st post on this thread; you therefore wish to refer to it for better understanding.

Bottom line: Wike's declaration was unconstitutional (though so far merely verbal and cosmetic and therefore of no real immediate consequence; otherwise it would have already been challenged in court by now) while the others were quite consistent with the constitution - and therefore unchallengeable.

As for your position on hate speech - well; I think you need a dictionary.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 4:48am On Dec 07, 2019
Kfed4ril:

The way you buharist twist facts to suit you baffles me.
So when hisbah police in Kano ransack beer parlors, how is that targeted at the adherents?
Or when the oppress non Muslims girls who don’t wear hijab or are scantily dressed.

Be truthful for once and shame the devil.
The sharia In the north affects everybody and not just the Muslim, you don’t have problem with it, where you have problem is far away rivers State where you prolly have nothing with, now or in the future.

If we can have sharia in the north why can’t we have Christain states in the south?

You appear confused and ignorant on this matter; kindly read my 1st and penultimate posts for more clarification.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Kfed4ril(m): 8:03am On Dec 07, 2019
NaMeAboki:

Oga, your ignorance on this matter is showing; there is a big difference between adopting a specific religion for the entire state (as Wike did) against adoption of a religious penal code (sharia law) for application only its adherents (Muslims) - I have already clarified this distinction in my 1st post on this thread; you therefore wish to refer to it for better understanding.

Bottom line: Wike's declaration was unconstitutional (though so far merely verbal and cosmetic and therefore of no real immediate consequence; otherwise it would have already been challenged in court by now) while the others were quite consistent with the constitution - and therefore unchallengeable.

As for your position on hate speech - well; I think you need a dictionary.

Oga shut up, it pains me when you keep on lying to yourself.
When I went to visit my sister who stayed in Kano some years back, she couldn’t go to the stadium to juggle without a hijab, the first time she did she was harassed, so subsequently she had to get a hijab.
Now tell me is my sister an adherent (Muslim)? So why was she harassed the first time?
And you’re here claiming sharia is only for the adherents.
Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by NaMeAboki: 11:08am On Dec 07, 2019
Kfed4ril:

Oga shut up, it pains me when you keep on lying to yourself.
When I went to visit my sister who stayed in Kano some years back, she couldn’t go to the stadium to juggle without a hijab, the first time she did she was harassed, so subsequently she had to get a hijab.
Now tell me is my sister an adherent (Muslim)? So why was she harassed the first time?
And you’re here claiming sharia is only for the adherents.

You are the one who is clearly lying and therefore needs to shut up because you are not only ignorant but seemingly lacks logical thinking.

First of all, I reside in and know Kano very well; and can confidently tell you that there is nowhere where Hijab is singled out and enforced on women whether Muslims or otherwise (by any constituted authority in the state) - you are obviously lying through the skin of your teeth (I even doubt if you have ever been to Kano let alone have a sister staying there - name the stadium she allegedly went and was harassed).

I may even concede on the possibility of a few individuals in very remote conservative areas reacting negatively to some form of immoral dressing; but certainly not at public places such as stadiums.

In any case; such reactions (if at all) will be a far cry from the barbric ones we see in the many video examples in your Christian south, where women are often undressed and molested publicly (streets, markets, motor parks etc) for being scantily dressed.

Furthermore, even liberal environments such as your universities have dress codes to curb waywardness with sanctions against erring students.

Your hypocrisy and lack of understanding stinks. angry

Re: Rivers Is Not A Christian State, Wike - Punch Editorial by Yohans(m): 7:14am On Dec 11, 2019
MelesZenawi:

We have Muslims and Christian states young man.

A state is automatically Muslims if it has the largest dominating population and Christian if over 95% of her population are Christians.

Automatically Rivers falls here.

Muslims states are

Kaduna
Kano
zamfara
Adamawa
Ogun
Osun
Oyo
Borno
Katsina
Kwara
Kogi
Bauchi

Christan states

Akwaibom
Cross river
Enugu
Ebonyi
Imo
Rivers
Bayelsa
Abia
Benue
Taraba
Delta

Muslims Majority/Minority Christian status like 55%:45%

Lagos State
plateau state
Ondo state
Ekiti state
Edo state

Based on current standing.
Look at the trash you wrote and how did Muslims became the majority in Plateau state when Christians are more than 70℅.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Dolapo Osinbajo, Bolanle Ambode, Iara Oshiomhole At An Event In Lagos / Saraki Lays Wreath In Russia At The Tomb Of The 'Unknown Soldier' / ‘boko Haram Set Our Daughter On Fire’ (graphic Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.