Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

How To Grow Okro In Containers - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Grow Okro In Containers (2248 Views)

Diary Of An Okro Farmer / Okro Farming – A Surefire Way To Make N1 Million Monthly / For All Okro Farmers Lets Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Grow Okro In Containers by my2chains(m): 5:30am On Dec 03, 2019
(Growing Okro In Pots)

How To Grow Okro In Containers,

Learn how to grow okro in containers,
Growing okro in pots or bags doesn’t require a lot of space and it is easy too if you complete all of the planting requirements.

Okro, which is also called lady’s finger is a warm season tropical vegetable that is also grown for ornamental purposes. Its delicate foliage and showy blooms that look like hibiscus (don’t forget okro belongs to the same hibiscus family) look amazing.
Very low in calories (25 to 40 kcal per 100g), okra is a vegetable rich in vitamins A, C and P, calcium and many minerals.

Choosing a pot

Choose a pot of whatever material you like. Pot should be at least 3 gallons in size. Ideally, a 5-gallon pot that is 10-12 inches deep and similar in diameter would be perfect for one okro plant if you have got a larger pot you can grow a few plants in it. Best to choose a black colored pot as okra loves heat.

Planting Okro Seeds

The first step for growing okro is to get the seeds. Ask for the dwarf okro variety that will not grow above 5 feet tall. However, you can grow any okro variety in a pot, but it is best if you choose the dwarf one. If you live in a climate with short summers, search for varieties that mature fast.
okro doesn’t transplant well that’s why you’ll have to directly plant the seeds in the container or a biodegradable pot. Sow 2-3 okro seeds 1/2 to 1 inch deep in each pot. Water with a sprayer and keep the seeds in a bright, warm place, the substrate should remain moist until seeds germinate. The germination takes 5 to 10 days after sowing. The more warmth, the faster the germination.

Requirements for Growing Okro in Pots

Position

Pick a spot that receives full sun (at least 5-6 hours of sunlight is essential). Like tomatoes and peppers, okro requires plenty of sunlight to produce well.

Soil

The soil you use must be loamy and crumbly; it must be well draining too. Opt for a soilless potting mix that is rich in organic matter. You can also add a lot of compost or aged manure to provide the constant supply of nutrients to your okro plant.

Watering

Okro requires slightly moist soil. Water regularly to keep the soil uniformly moist and particularly more from the beginning of the flowering period and until the end of production.

Temperature

The cultivation of okra plant is extremely easy but requires a lot of heat. The plant can grow above 50 F (10 C), but to flower and to bear fruit abundantly the temperature must be around 75 to 95 F (23-35 C) ideally. The plant can tolerate higher temperatures well but fails to grow when the temperature starts to touch lower levels.

Okra Plant Care
Fertilization

Mix manure in soil to provide nutrients to the plant, you can also side dress the plant with it. Also, at the time of planting, you can add balanced fertilizer if you want. Once the plant has reached the height of 6 inches, apply a dose of balanced fertilizer again. Keep in mind that if the soil is nitrogen rich, it may promote vegetative growth at the expense of fruiting so maintain the balance. Later on, feed the plant with low in nitrogen fertilizer such as NPK 5-10-15 or 6-12-12.

Pollination

Okro is self-pollinating so you don’t need to care about pollination.

Pinching and Topping

As you’re growing okro in containers, dwarf varieties we consider, the plant will not exceed the height of 5 feet. In that case, you don’t need to care about pinching or topping.

Pests and Diseases

Okro is susceptible to fusarium wilt and nematode attack as well as aphids and whiteflies in pests. Mealybugs also affect the plant’s growth. However, these pests do more damage on plants grown in large quantities. As you’re growing okro in pots, you can easily control them.

Harvesting

Okro requires frequent harvesting. It blooms about two months from planting, and the fruits appear 5-7 days after flowering. The fruits/pods are harvested when they are still tender. Otherwise, they become fibrous and too hard to be eaten. Ideally, the picking length is between 3 to 5 inches.
How to see if your okro are not too late to be picked?
Bend the tip of any fruit and if it breaks easily this means that they are still tender and crispy and good to harvest.

Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by NickyB: 10:22am On Dec 04, 2019
Hey there. I looked through your article and I liked it very much. Some instructions are a bit unclear, but O got the idea. I want to start growing okra on my backyard, I have some experience in vegetable gardening but I have one question. Should I use a fertilizer spreader like one of these, for example, or I supposed to spread it manually? Because I think it's handier. Also, can I plant it near other vegetables and fruits? Thanks.
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by my2chains(m): 6:55am On Dec 06, 2019
NickyB:
Hey there. I looked through your article and I liked it very much. Some instructions are a bit unclear, but O got the idea. I want to start growing okra on my backyard, I have some experience in vegetable gardening but I have one question. Should I use a fertilizer spreader like one of these, for example, or I supposed to spread it manually? Because I think it's handier. Also, can I plant it near other vegetables and fruits? Thanks.

let me tell you the simple truth,
just go and buy this dry chicken manure been sold #800 per bag,

buy some okro seeds and plant them in your backyard,

apply those manures when preparing the ridges,

then use a forliar spray containing onions water on them once a week.

For me i use grass/weed water as fertilizers and apply weekly on their roots

also water them daily,
you can intercrop them with any other plant since okro dont have much problem to grow

i will advice you look for early maturing okro seeds and use

2 Likes

Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by sosowater: 12:43pm On Dec 06, 2019
my2chains:

also water them daily,
you can intercrop them with any other plant since okro dont have much problem to grow

Nice tips.

Please what's the work of the onions water?

Also, how can it easily be prepared?
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by my2chains(m): 5:22am On Dec 07, 2019
sosowater:

Nice tips.

Please what's the work of the onions water?

Also, how can it easily be prepared?

water containing onions has proven to be a very good forliar spray for plants,

all you need is to cut to pieces all the onions you intend to use into a bucket of water that you feel enough that will do for it,

like a 25 gallon bucket filled with water you can get like 4-5 big onions and and slice them to pieces and put,

cover the bucket with a cloth or anything and leave the onions to dilute inside the water for 24 hours before you filter and use,

onions water will make the leafs of the plants to become green again,

it can also be applied to plants you feel that are weak and not growing well.

Do apply this 1-2 times every week and see the wonders
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by sosowater: 1:05pm On Dec 07, 2019
my2chains:

water containing onions has proven to be a very good forliar spray for plants,

all you need is to cut to pieces all the onions you intend to use into a bucket of water that you feel enough that will do for it,

like a 25 gallon bucket filled with water you can get like 4-5 big onions and and slice them to pieces and put,

cover the bucket with a cloth or anything and leave the onions to dilute inside the water for 24 hours before you filter and use,

onions water will make the leafs of the plants to become green again,

it can also be applied to plants you feel that are weak and not growing well.

Do apply this 1-2 times every week and see the wonders

Wow. Thank you. Will give it a huge try.
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by ajike10: 7:04pm On Dec 07, 2019
Please how do you prepapare grass/ weed water as fertilizer?
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by my2chains(m): 10:44pm On Dec 07, 2019
sosowater:

Wow. Thank you. Will give it a huge try.

this will work in any kind of plant
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by my2chains(m): 10:52pm On Dec 07, 2019
ajike10:
Please how do you prepapare grass/ weed water as fertilizer?

thunder fire devil,
all you need to do is get enough grass/weeds as much as you can,

add them up in a big bucket and add water to it and leave to dilute or stay for 2 weeks,

after 2 weeks do filter out the grass and use the water as liquid fertilizers,

to apply to the plants you need feel a 25 gallon bucket with water, then take from the grass liquid fertilizer 2 cups and pour in the bucket.

Then stir it so it can get mixed with the water

now you can use it on all the plants weekly

no need to order for any chemical fertilizers again
when you will be getting grass around you for free

please share to make this go round
we are all here to learn

1 Like

Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by sosowater: 11:13pm On Dec 07, 2019
my2chains:

this will work in any kind of plant

Thank you. I love organic.
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by my2chains(m): 11:29pm On Dec 07, 2019
sosowater:

Thank you. I love organic.

to me organic is really the best and it can cut down farm expences.

its really easier if you follow my advice,

although okro has no stress to be grown execpt handling pest and daily watering,

greenhouse farming makes the ground to be moist for some few days,
4-5 days as of my own experience

and you know okro loves moist soil

understand this fact and live by them,
i have decided to be sharing things for free here in nairaland

no one knows 2moro

also have anyone told you urine can also be diluted and used as fertilizers?

Unlike grass liquid fertilizer that you need to wait for 2 weeks before using.

This urine fertilizer is to be used at once so it can take effect on the plants

you can now call me mr free info,

thats why i will keep on saying my 2 chains are pure gold,

nothing beats helping others for free without expecting anything in return
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by DelightsomeFoods: 6:28pm On Oct 24, 2020
Where can I get the chicken manure and what's the size of the bag (kg)?

also water them daily,

[/quote]
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by phenylalanine(m): 2:40pm On Oct 25, 2020
DelightsomeFoods:
Where can I get the chicken manure and what's the size of the bag (kg)?

also water them daily,

You can also use rabbit poo, if available
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by justlovesfarmin: 9:17am On Jan 01, 2023
my2chains:
(Growing Okro In Pots)

How To Grow Okro In Containers,

Learn how to grow okro in containers,
Growing okro in pots or bags doesn’t require a lot of space and it is easy too if you complete all of the planting requirements.

Okro, which is also called lady’s finger is a warm season tropical vegetable that is also grown for ornamental purposes. Its delicate foliage and showy blooms that look like hibiscus (don’t forget okro belongs to the same hibiscus family) look amazing.
Very low in calories (25 to 40 kcal per 100g), okra is a vegetable rich in vitamins A, C and P, calcium and many minerals.

Choosing a pot

Choose a pot of whatever material you like. Pot should be at least 3 gallons in size. Ideally, a 5-gallon pot that is 10-12 inches deep and similar in diameter would be perfect for one okro plant if you have got a larger pot you can grow a few plants in it. Best to choose a black colored pot as okra loves heat.

Planting Okro Seeds

The first step for growing okro is to get the seeds. Ask for the dwarf okro variety that will not grow above 5 feet tall. However, you can grow any okro variety in a pot, but it is best if you choose the dwarf one. If you live in a climate with short summers, search for varieties that mature fast.
okro doesn’t transplant well that’s why you’ll have to directly plant the seeds in the container or a biodegradable pot. Sow 2-3 okro seeds 1/2 to 1 inch deep in each pot. Water with a sprayer and keep the seeds in a bright, warm place, the substrate should remain moist until seeds germinate. The germination takes 5 to 10 days after sowing. The more warmth, the faster the germination.

Requirements for Growing Okro in Pots

Position

Pick a spot that receives full sun (at least 5-6 hours of sunlight is essential). Like tomatoes and peppers, okro requires plenty of sunlight to produce well.

Soil

The soil you use must be loamy and crumbly; it must be well draining too. Opt for a soilless potting mix that is rich in organic matter. You can also add a lot of compost or aged manure to provide the constant supply of nutrients to your okro plant.

Watering

Okro requires slightly moist soil. Water regularly to keep the soil uniformly moist and particularly more from the beginning of the flowering period and until the end of production.

Temperature

The cultivation of okra plant is extremely easy but requires a lot of heat. The plant can grow above 50 F (10 C), but to flower and to bear fruit abundantly the temperature must be around 75 to 95 F (23-35 C) ideally. The plant can tolerate higher temperatures well but fails to grow when the temperature starts to touch lower levels.

Okra Plant Care
Fertilization

Mix manure in soil to provide nutrients to the plant, you can also side dress the plant with it. Also, at the time of planting, you can add balanced fertilizer if you want. Once the plant has reached the height of 6 inches, apply a dose of balanced fertilizer again. Keep in mind that if the soil is nitrogen rich, it may promote vegetative growth at the expense of fruiting so maintain the balance. Later on, feed the plant with low in nitrogen fertilizer such as NPK 5-10-15 or 6-12-12.

Pollination

Okro is self-pollinating so you don’t need to care about pollination.

Pinching and Topping

As you’re growing okro in containers, dwarf varieties we consider, the plant will not exceed the height of 5 feet. In that case, you don’t need to care about pinching or topping.

Pests and Diseases

Okro is susceptible to fusarium wilt and nematode attack as well as aphids and whiteflies in pests. Mealybugs also affect the plant’s growth. However, these pests do more damage on plants grown in large quantities. As you’re growing okro in pots, you can easily control them.

Harvesting

Okro requires frequent harvesting. It blooms about two months from planting, and the fruits appear 5-7 days after flowering. The fruits/pods are harvested when they are still tender. Otherwise, they become fibrous and too hard to be eaten. Ideally, the picking length is between 3 to 5 inches.
How to see if your okro are not too late to be picked?
Bend the tip of any fruit and if it breaks easily this means that they are still tender and crispy and good to harvest.

What time of the year is best for planting Okra?
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by revbcorah: 11:36pm On Jan 01, 2023
The Lord bless and keep you for all your contributions towards agricultural development in Nigeria. It's well with you.
Re: How To Grow Okro In Containers by Treassured: 8:23am On Jan 02, 2023
One of my favorite Fibres..

(1) (Reply)

Payback, Picture Of Rabbit I Caught This Morning / Please What Type Of Bird Is This?(photos) / Guess The Rate This 427kg big Pig Was Sold Today And Get 5k Reward

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.