Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,852 members, 7,956,190 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:25 AM

FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja (45912 Views)

Rivers State Completes Ikoku Flyover / Nairalander Meets Only Surviving Twin Saved By Mary Slessor Over 100 Years Ago / My Experience While Using Google Earth For The First Time. (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Jasen1(m): 8:15am On Dec 04, 2019
I was a victim too last month I paid 20k and then pay 4,150 at uba wuse close to their office
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Babaheekmat: 8:18am On Dec 04, 2019
Perfect definition of Educated illiterate our FRSC is..

Hmm.. Master Yoda..

See them o..

Make una invite Lord Vader to come destroy them o
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by AlphaStyles(m): 8:19am On Dec 04, 2019
Welcome to Nigeria where u are checked into a hospital for using Google maps grin
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by 9ja2: 8:19am On Dec 04, 2019
The FRSC will be very busy in the years to come because most modern cars now have tablet-style dashboards(the Tesla springs to mind) would it be an offence to look at theses as well?

In the case of this lady, as long as you did not touch the phone while driving by presetting the destination on Google maps, then this should not be an offence.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by kbams241: 8:20am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:
At the risk of sounding like one of them, I have to agree I consider the use of GPS a distraction (more about the way we use it). So many times I have entered cabs and the driver would stare at his phone for seconds to get the route. I get really uncomfortable in those few seconds. Few times they look up and make sharp swerves.

However, I do not think the problem should be the use of GPS in its entirety. The problem should be the use of handheld devices and its resultant inattentive driving. I would prefer a situation where it can be set before driving and on speaker too. This is a better option, since so many persons would rather not hang their phones.

They issued a statement to this effect recently. You can look it up, juxtapose it with your situation and know if your case can be appealed.

Seizing your car is going too far though, your DL is enough.

Finally, someone with sense... Everyone just criticizing FRSC anyhow
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by IDFWU(m): 8:21am On Dec 04, 2019
ashanax:

Now u can tell me thank you for tutoring you about GSP device... now u no it's not a phone, it's a device basically for navigating like u av seen in ur research.
No law says u cant use that.
That's the point Bush boy
Bro I’ve got no issues with you oo. Can’t you read the real message in between them lines. See i wanna bet you that If FRSC can get you arrested for using a phone’s google map, mind you google map is also a type of gps, they will also get you arrested for using car gps. Their problem is the drivers getting distracted by looking at the screen of these devices? Ain’t you getting this? This is a means to frustrate and make money out of citizens. Most of them occupying these top managerial office are not capable educationally, that’s why mundane laws like this are being pushed out. I guess you never had a one on one encounter with them FRSC. Last month I was traveling and got stopped by a unit, after checking and found all my documents were intact, he then turned to the temporary driver’s license document that was given to me at their office, which was stamped and signed on to show that I have paid for the renewal of my driver’s license but on their fault, wasn’t ready. The officer said a driver’s license is plastic card not a paper document, seriously acting like he doesn’t know that people get to be issued that first when they pay for renewal, I didn’t know if I’m to laugh, cry or go haywire that day. It was a whole lot of annoying experience that you don’t wanna know. Bro those guys are something else, believe me.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by UCyril: 8:27am On Dec 04, 2019
joyandfaith:

if she was actually guilty, they will not release her after booking. they were overzealous. try to read highway code
she was 100% guilty, they released her because she gave them her driving license, and she will collect the driving license back after payment.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by firfinch(m): 8:31am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:
At the risk of sounding like one of them, I have to agree I consider the use of GPS a distraction (more about the way we use it). So many times I have entered cabs and the driver would stare at his phone for seconds to get the route. I get really uncomfortable in those few seconds. Few times they look up and make sharp swerves.

However, I do not think the problem should be the use of GPS in its entirety. The problem should be the use of handheld devices and its resultant inattentive driving. I would prefer a situation where it can be set before driving and on speaker too. This is a better option, since so many persons would rather not hang their phones.

They issued a statement to this effect recently. You can look it up, juxtapose it with your situation and know if your case can be appealed.

Is it rather not better to use few seconds to set the map than to waste fuel and time on the road? The map has voice and notifies the driver ahead of time, in fact it tells you which lane to keep before you take a turn or whatever direction you are going. How's Google map a distraction when you have car phone gadgets?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by innogbes: 8:32am On Dec 04, 2019
They are confused
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by ChristineC: 8:33am On Dec 04, 2019
Get out of the shithole
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 8:34am On Dec 04, 2019
kbams241:

Finally, someone with sense... Everyone just criticizing FRSC anyhow

A good number of Nigerians HATE men in uniform- NPF, Nigerian Army, FRSC...anything. Small thing they will say "in saner climes". That is why they are quoting me upandan, asking me stupid questions that are covered right there in my post. All because they think I am for FRSC grin

1 Like

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by OChimex: 8:34am On Dec 04, 2019
izzou:
grin

Is everyone running mad in this country?

What is this?

This is no joke because God knows my generation will never be Nigerians.

Someone gets out there and tells you "there is something good about this animal hole", "Nigeria will be great", "we dont have another home let us build Nigeria". bla bla bla. Bullshits.

The country in its entirety thinks every citizen is mad and needs mental evaluation. In fact they want you go crazy and are hellbent on driving their citizens crazy. They are ready to feed on the flesh of her citizens.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by blowjohn(m): 8:35am On Dec 04, 2019
davodyguy:
This is very not nice.

Does the FRSC not use same Google technology to track their vehicular operations?

It's a normal Standard for navigational equipment being used in automobiles.

The navigation helps you find your way to your destination and no crime in using it.

How about using a phone holder in ur car?
The issue here is the distraction it can cause when u use ur 'hand. '
they are right on this.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Jamorezzi: 8:36am On Dec 04, 2019
9ja still dey back yard
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Scamperlee(m): 8:41am On Dec 04, 2019
Kindly download and listen to my latest gyration song titled "Osomo" by Scamper.
http://www.naijapals.com/music/Oshomo_Scamper-103031
https://clyp.it/3t14rlrm
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1481739290
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by ajl: 8:42am On Dec 04, 2019
This is what I suspect. You were using Google map on your phone without a mobile phone holder (like in image). I was in Lagos recently, almost all the 30plus Taxify/Uber drivers I rode with did not have a phone holder. If that's what you did, the FRSC guys did the right thing.

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by greatbuc(m): 8:42am On Dec 04, 2019
lonelydora:
Just imagine the level of Anyhowness in this country.

Chai! God just know the kind of things he removes from my way.

I'm patiently waiting for the day any FRSC personnel will stop me because I'm using Google map.

That day, while on the road, i will prove to him that using his phone while carrying out his duty is also a distraction
that's just one side of the story.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Cherez: 8:50am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:

Google map has audio guide that talks, one doesnt have to look.
Once the map is on and you shut your screen, you'll hear the leads
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by mrfm1: 8:50am On Dec 04, 2019
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Tonnyray: 8:53am On Dec 04, 2019
I don't get moved by weak attempts at whipping up sentiments. FRSC was right in this case. I live in Abuja and I use Google map all the time, but I've never once been arrested cos I simply listen to the voice prompt. That sh!t is so detailed and with the high velocity roads here, a half second distraction can easily kill or maim someone. Madam says "in 2 km take a right turn into Olusegun Obasanjo way". "in 800m keep right" why do I still have to take my hands of the steering wheel and my eyes off the road? We are simply a naturally lawless people and nothing the authorities do can possibly satisfy us.

The only time I ever got arrested by FRSC was when I carried 2 people in the front seat of my car. These were cleaners and junior workers in my office (about 6 of them) I saw on my way and offered a ride to the office. The rule never even crossed my mind until I was flagged down. Even though they all showed their ID's to register that we all belonged to the same company, the officials didn't budge and I prevailed on these junior workers (when they wanted to start insulting the FRSC officers) to desist from it. Rules are rules and they were only doing their job. I paid the dues and learnt my lesson.

All the people cussing out FRSC now will sing a different tune if a driver overran their 6year old daughter because she was busy checking out Google map for directions. Suddenly the same people will start canvassing for an outright ban and blaming the same agency for not living up to their constitutional responsibilities.

8 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 8:53am On Dec 04, 2019
shadeyinka:

?

I do hope we are clear here. Have a nice day
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by shadeyinka(m): 8:54am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:

Never said it was my argument.

"I would prefer a situation where it can be set before driving and on speaker too. This is a better option, since so many persons would rather not hang their phones."

"However, I do not think the problem should be the use of GPS in its entirety. The problem should be the use of handheld devices and its resultant inattentive driving"

Juxtapose that with my opening post and you will see my problem is when they keep fumbling with it in their hands and looking down. You and that IDFWU (who claimed I didn't know it has voice prompt) should read well next time. Don't come at people with nonsense and claim they are defensive or ignorant. Reading with some comprehension will save all of us time.

Regards
?
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by JastSiryin(m): 8:55am On Dec 04, 2019
We're the ones that caused this madness that's being meted to us. I don't support this "traveling to a saner clime" mentality we have. Call it whatever you want, but it could also be a disguised way of running away from your problems. Not everyone has the means, and many have even ended up being worse off over there. Let's unite and fight for a better government. It's in our hands. Every developed country thst you see now went through this phase.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by HowDareU: 8:56am On Dec 04, 2019
Where in her write up did she mentioned she was holding ther phone while driving, ehn? This is a forum where somebody will type rubbish from her mobile and she gets a hundred likes. It still baffles me I swear!. No sympathy at all; wicked selfish and sentimental soul . . .
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by ashanax: 8:57am On Dec 04, 2019
IDFWU:

Bro I’ve got no issues with you oo. Can’t you read the real message in between them lines. See i wanna bet you that If FRSC can get you arrested for using a phones google map, mind you google map is also a type of gps, they will also get you arrested for using car gps. Their problem is the drivers getting distracted by looking at the screen of these devices? Ain’t you getting this? This is a means to frustrate and make money out of citizens. Most of them occupying these top managerial office are not capable educationally, that’s why mundane laws like this are being pushed out. I guess you never had a one on one encounter with them FRSC. Last month I was traveling and got stopped by a unit, after checking and found all my documents were intact, he then turned to the temporary driver’s license document that was given to me at their office, which was stamped and signed on to show that I have paid for the renewal of my driver’s license but on their fault, wasn’t ready. The officer said a driver’s license is plastic card not a paper document, seriously acting like people don’t get to be issued that first when they pay for renewal, I didn’t know if I’m to laugh, cry or go haywire that day. It was a whole lot of annoying experience that you don’t wanna know. Bro those guys are something else, believe me.
I understand u now... but what I'm telling you is the law. Law says dont use phone while driving. They have never stopped anyone using a dedicated GPS device.
They won't stop u while using a GPS device installed in your car. They are only against phones.
If u travel on our highways very well you will understand that dis FRSC pple are the best Uniform men we have in this country. They have saved a lot of lives and they wont giv u any of their cheap tickets unlawfully
Too bad Uniform men are jst enemies all around d world
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by faithscharms(f): 9:00am On Dec 04, 2019
Kayharry:
Wow! We still have a lot of surprises in this yulitide. Men of the Federal Road Safety Corps have just impounded my car. Asked what's my offence, they said, show me your phone and I turned my phone to him, and the guy said you are under arrest for driving with the aid of Google map on your mobile phones. Wawu!! I'm like seriously!! He said, madam it is a serious traffic offence. I asked to see the team lead, their team lead came and after hearing fro his collegue and me said, "the law forbids motorists from using mobile phones in any form while driving, as it can lead to accident". I can see you are using Google map on your phone. Madam it is distractive so follow us to our office.

This is unbelievable!! You see ba, I have an emergency and have requested for a ticket so I can deal with this later but they said No. I must drive to their office. Well ladies and gentlemen, I've been given a ticket of N4000 payable to Remita my offence is using GPS. They have my car and my keys and my drivers license. When I'm done paying to remita then I will be checked into national hospital for mental examination for using GPS while driving. The real mad folks are those who believe is an offence to drive with Google map. They called Google map a distraction. So if you are driving in Abuja, ditch the GPS and drive on, get to middle of the road stop and ask any road safety or traffic warder thus; oga where is the direction to Apo, Asokoro or just any where you are going. You don't need direction map. The worst kind of illiteracy is the illiteracy of a government.

Please if you have an opportunity to live in a saner place , now is the time to weigh your options and check out. A lot of things don't make sense here.

My brother this people called FRSC are MAD idiots that's why I don't pity them when anything bad happens to them..

They did same to me just cos at a traffic light that kept us waiting I used a rag to clean the screen of my phone oh that's how they attacked me o and same thing Psyc evaluation at the end of the day my car spent almost 1week with them and I spent almost 40k for everything..very wicked people,this nation is a failed one
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by HowDareU: 9:03am On Dec 04, 2019
Where in her writeup did she mentioned she was holding her mobile phone while driving, ehn? A forum where one idiot will type rubbish from her phone and whole and behold, a hundred likes. I am baffled. Very wicked, sentimental soul in this forum I swear! Nonsense will never make sense.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by shadeyinka(m): 9:07am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:

Did she use that option?? ? And why are all of you quoting me to say this same thing, even when I wrote I am for people using the voice prompt.

Una dey read at all?

I do hope we are clear here. Have a nice day
You seem very angry this morning!

Your opening sentence goes like

"....at the risk of being misunderstood"

In other words, you were threading on flash points which could lead to a misunderstanding. My last two posts but one showed that we are saying the same thing BUT......

It's easier to make enemies than friends. Let sleeping dog lie!

Shalom
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by pocohantas(f): 9:13am On Dec 04, 2019
shadeyinka:

You seem very angry this morning!

Your opening sentence goes like

"....at the risk of being misunderstood"

In other words, you were threading on flash points which could lead to a misunderstanding. My last two posts but one showed that we are saying the same thing BUT......

It's easier to make enemies than friends. Let sleeping dog lie!

Shalom

Then ask questions, don't assume and conclude. It is easier to make none. Stay on your lane and everyone would be fine. smiley
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by obailala(m): 9:21am On Dec 04, 2019
What kind of madness is this? In the UK for instance, driving with Google maps has even been incorporated into the learning process; you will be taught and even examined on the use of Google maps for navigation before you can get a license.

Just look at my country?!

Modified:
Just found out the actual rule from FRSC is that drivers should not touch their phones while driving (even if it's for google maps navigation).

This is standard practice and law all over the developed world. If you must use GPS navigation on your phone, have the destination set and hang the phone before you set off; manipulating your phone while driving is an offence anywhere.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by Bluffly: 9:23am On Dec 04, 2019
I set my coordinates or destination and place on my dash behind my steering before moving.
Re: FRSC Arrests Mary Ikoku For Using Google Maps In Abuja by SenecaTheYonger: 9:31am On Dec 04, 2019
pocohantas:

True. It's almost like making call while driving. Even Google warns against it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Visit To The Ancient Cave Of Ashes... Isarun In Ondo State. (pictures) / Any Cheap Hotels In Abuja? / Visitors From Nigeria To UK To Pay £3000 Bond Before Entry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.