Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,203 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

What Do You Know About Hatians? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / What Do You Know About Hatians? (2224 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Know About Hatians? by Ilamina(f): 7:12pm On Dec 06, 2019
smiley
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by LeoThaGreat(m): 7:41pm On Dec 06, 2019
They speak Creole.

They are being punished by the U.S and France for being stubborn during the colonial times.

They practice Voodoo (Vodoun, etc) just like the Yòrùbá traditional religion. [They also do Catholicism and other religions].

They migrate a lot, mostly due to financial constraints.

They face threats on natural disasters and it would be nice to give donations to NGO helping that country, even if it's a dollar.

What more do I know?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Ilamina(f): 8:14pm On Dec 06, 2019
LeoThaGreat:
They speak Creole.

They are being punished by the U.S and France for being stubborn during the colonial times.

They practice Voodoo (Vodoun, etc) just like the Yòrùbá traditional religion. [They also do Catholicism and other religions].

They face threats on natural disasters and it would be nice to give donations to NGO helping that country, even if it's a dollar.

What more do I know?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Allen102: 11:39pm On Dec 06, 2019
They are poor, more poorer than Nigerians. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by DonCandido(f): 3:02am On Dec 07, 2019
They are self haters.

That is the reason they were named Hateans by the Europeans.

One of the first black colonies to get independence and was at the time well positioned to lead the charge for black man's reinansance especially at the period Europe was involved in an internecine wars but self HATRED of the people manifested in petty squabbles and the corruption of the leaders stymied them.

HATEANS. Haitian is a ROMANISATION.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 11:36am On Dec 07, 2019
Ilamina:
smiley

Their music reminds me of French west africa

They are the only Caribbeans that are closest to Africans cos they have the least admixture

They dress a bit funny

Quite hot blooded like jamaicans

They come from Benin republic cos that's where they got their worship of snakes from
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 11:37am On Dec 07, 2019
LeoThaGreat:
They speak Creole.

What more do I know?

Its weird cos I haven't met one in the UK
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Ilamina(f): 1:59pm On Dec 07, 2019
1Sharon:

Their music reminds me of French west africa

They are the only Caribbeans that are closest to Africans cos they have the least admixture

They dress a bit funny

Quite hot blooded like jamaicans

They come from Benin republic cos that's where they got their worship of snakes from

I thought their music sounds like Latina salsa music
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Originalsly: 2:49pm On Dec 07, 2019
DonCandido:
They are self haters.

One of the first black colonies to get independence and was at the time well positioned to lead the charge for black man's reinansance especially at the period Europe was involved in an internecine wars but self HATRED of the people manifested in petty squabbles and the corruption of the leaders stymied them.

Haiti......land of high mountains.

Correct pronunciation... High-T.

Haiti is from the language of the indigenous people that lived in the region before the Europeans came and wiped them almost all out... and later brought the slaves.

Haiti is the first Black country to be independent.... 1804. They fought for it......(defeating the powerful French army). The US was the only other Western Independent country (1776). If it weren't for Haiti.....US would not have won the war for Independence.

@ topic. Haitians are majority poor.... verrry poor... but then there are the rich... and the wealthy 1%. Because of the history..... colour usually determine status. Hatians are hustlers period.... if you think Nigeria is hard.... try Haiti. Although the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere..... you would not hear Hatians running down their country. Even if they been living in the US for yearsss..... and have citizenship.... they would not hesitate to tell you they are Hatian. Wyclef Jean as an example.

Their language...French/Creole(Kryol).....(that's exclusively their language... slavery has a lot to do with it.)

Their music... Kompa. If you are Black.... you have to love it.

Hatians support each other big time..... they are very community minded....and I would say generally humble.

Because of their peculiar history with regards to slavery.... they are wayyy closer to African culture than any other group shipped out as slaves. As a group... they were one of the biggest supporters of Nollywood movies.... never mind English is not their language.... all in the bid to reconnect with their African roots....until Nollywood stop being African and want to be American. Hatians make movies.... production wise.. Nollywood can't compare period.... but... almost all their movies are in Creole. I watched a few that were sub titles. Great.

Just saying..... from observations..... and interactions with soooooo manyyyyy of them..... have Hatian friends... and live near to a huge Hatian community.

7 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by doctore212(m): 3:58pm On Dec 07, 2019
Do they have olosho

Am planning to visit there soon.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 4:40pm On Dec 07, 2019
Ilamina:

I thought their music sounds like Latina salsa music

No their dance is like salsa
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 4:41pm On Dec 07, 2019
DonCandido:
They are self haters.

You might as well call Nigerians self haters cos we were called Nigerian too. And just sat there and accepted it.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by DonCandido(f): 5:22pm On Dec 07, 2019
1Sharon:

You might as well call Nigerians self haters cos we were called Nigerian too. And just sat there and accepted it.

You missed the point of my comment entirely.

You will understand better if you make "an Apple for an Apple" comparison whilst putting the essentials of my comment in context.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 5:29pm On Dec 07, 2019
DonCandido:

You missed the point of my comment entirely.

You will understand better if you make "an Apple for an Apple" comparison whilst putting the essentials of my comment in context.

What's the difference? Wasn't the name Nigerian given by colonisers too?
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by DonCandido(f): 6:04pm On Dec 07, 2019
1Sharon:

What's the difference? Wasn't the name Nigerian given by colonisers too?

It would be wonderful if we don't distract from the main topic with our contributions.

The topic and my comment are NOT about colonialism.

It would make for a better discourse if you can anchor your disputation -if I may use the expression- around the topic and dispute my comments about the country HAITI.

Note kindly alsi that the post has NOTHING to do about Nigeria.

Shorn of unessential verbiage madam, you are engaging in a "Bush and forest" comparison here.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by LeoThaGreat(m): 9:44pm On Dec 07, 2019
1Sharon:

Its weird cos I haven't met one in the UK
They mostly emigrate into the U.S (illegally), since the U.S is a bigger market than the E.U and it's closer to them as well.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 12:49am On Dec 08, 2019
LeoThaGreat:

They mostly emigrate into the U.S (illegally), since the U.S is a bigger market than the E.U and it's closer to them as well.

Lool..are most of them illegal?
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Homers123(m): 2:02am On Dec 08, 2019
They have Dumas and Wyclef as two of the greatest folks.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Allen102: 3:31am On Dec 08, 2019
1Sharon:

You might as well call African self haters too cos we were called Africans by the Romans. And just sat there and accepted it. undecided

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by LeoThaGreat(m): 1:58pm On Dec 08, 2019
1Sharon:

Lool..are most of them illegal?
I presume so (based on what I hear from rappers like Trinidad James).
My presumption aside, I really don't think most of the migrants can meet the U.S requirements if they try the legal

1 Like

Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 2:51pm On Dec 08, 2019
Allen102:
You might as well call African self haters too cos we were called Africans by the Romans. And just sat there and accepted it. undecided

I agree. Did africans have a writing system? How do we know what africans called the continent, if most of our history wasn't written down?

If Africans had a writing system maybe Europeans wouldn't keep giving us labels.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Originalsly: 4:03pm On Dec 08, 2019
1Sharon:

I agree. Did africans have a writing system? How do we know what africans called the continent, if most of our history wasn't written down?

If Africans had a writing system maybe Europeans wouldn't keep giving us labels.

Africans had writing systems... and learning centers.... before the Europeans. Don't you see archeologists always digging up stuff with writings.... in Africa... and scratching their brain to decode it? Do you see them digging up writings in Europe that they don't know? Heard of Timbuktu? Google is your friend.
On naming.... if we are self haters because others renamed us.... what are we now... when we ourselves drop our traditional names and replace them with names of others?...Colins?...Thomas?...etc? What are we now.... when we were captured and shipped out into slavery but now sell all our possessions and borrow money... to travel abroad and end up as slaves?.....what are we now?
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 4:32pm On Dec 08, 2019
Originalsly:

Africans had writing systems... and learning centers.... before the Europeans. Don't you see archeologists always digging up stuff with writings.... in Africa... and scratching their brain to decode it? Do you see them digging up writings in Europe that they don't know? Heard of Timbuktu? Google is your friend.
On naming.... if we are self haters because others renamed us.... what are we now... when we ourselves drop our traditional names and replace them with names of others?...Colins?...Thomas?...etc? What are we now.... when we were captured and shipped out into slavery but now sell all our possessions and borrow money... to travel abroad and end up as slaves?.....what are we now?

Where did they dig up the written history? Pls don't say ancient Egypt.

Where are the writings of sub saharan Africans?
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Originalsly: 5:32pm On Dec 08, 2019
1Sharon:

Where did they dig up the written history? Pls don't say ancient Egypt.

Where are the writings of sub saharan Africans?

Isn't Egypt part of Africa? I always thought so. Timbuktu is in present day Mali. I always thought Mali was sub Sahara Africa.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 5:34pm On Dec 08, 2019
Originalsly:

Isn't Egypt part of Africa? I always thought so. Timbuktu is in present day Mali. I always thought Mali was sub Sahara Africa.

Ancient Egypt has always been a multicultural region. Mali? What about the rest of sub saharan Africans?

Where's our written history? Just not enough.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Originalsly: 5:43pm On Dec 08, 2019
1Sharon:

Ancient Egypt has always been a multicultural region. Mali? What about the rest of sub saharan Africans?

Where's our written history? Just not enough.

There are writings throughout Africa. Even so.... Africa always had an oral tradition that still exists today.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 5:51pm On Dec 08, 2019
Originalsly:

There are writings throughout Africa. Even so.... Africa always had an oral tradition that still exists today.

I am talking about writing. Word of mouth is unreliable !
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Originalsly: 6:16pm On Dec 08, 2019
1Sharon:

I am talking about writing. Word of mouth is unreliable !

Google is your friend.
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by 1Sharon(f): 9:29pm On Dec 13, 2019
doctore212:
Do they have olosho

Am planning to visit there soon.

Why? You know they're like Nigerians
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Dec 13, 2019
Wow this is a very interesting thread! Never knew some ladies on NL are intelligent. Kudos
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Ilamina(f): 11:57pm On Dec 13, 2019
chidiebereuzoma:
Wow this is a very interesting thread! Never knew some ladies on NL are intelligent. Kudos

You mean Sharon
Re: What Do You Know About Hatians? by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 14, 2019
Ilamina:

You mean Sharon
You too.
For you to come up with an interesting question/thread like this shows you are quite intelligent and you're always interested in learning more and more.
I'm sapiosexual by the way. Are you?

(1) (Reply)

Man Caught Naked, Doing Bad Thing With Another Man's Wife. / Indian Girls Say They Like Endowed Black Guys / "...but Women Were Never Like That In The Time Past."

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.