Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,998 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:55 AM

My Experience Living And Working In The UAE - Travel (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience Living And Working In The UAE (153556 Views)

My Experience Living In Germany And Trying To Learn German On My Own / My Experience Living And Working In Gambia As A Dentist / My Experience Living In China For 4 Months - A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (30) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by smart024(m): 5:54am On Dec 10, 2019
Sitting tight to this...
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by PrincessB1(f): 6:09am On Dec 10, 2019
ednut1:
its a control na lol. So you wont flee cheesy
Flee to where?
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by kellycute(m): 6:21am On Dec 10, 2019
planetx:
You have to be crazy to go to Dubai in search of greener pastures. But hey what do I know.
you obviously know nothing lol. If you ain't a Profesional, I don't advice such person to come to Dubai for work. Dubai is a place for professionals to make lot of money and gain the needed exposure but definitely not for blue corner jobs naaaaa.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by kellycute(m): 6:23am On Dec 10, 2019
isthatso:

what of stories we hear of unmarried people living together and geting jailed?
it is not true. Uae is a modernize city, u are free to go ahead and rock but don't overstep your boundary by going after emirati ladies.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by kellycute(m): 6:34am On Dec 10, 2019
Raydos:
I always tell people Dubai is just for tourism and sight seeing, It is not advisable to settle down there!! It is hell of a place

Not for broke people, not even for hustling!!
but for professionals!!!!. I work in a construction firm as an health and safety professional and I'm doing well. Those of us in the safety career have better chances than our competitors from other countries like India, Pakistan, etc cos we have the necessary certification and qualifications as per meeting the requirement to work as safety professionals in uae. Hse professional earn a minimum of 15000dirham (1.5m naira) per month if you have nebosh diploma. Inasmuch as your qualifications determine your paid as far as hse career is concern in uae, it also depends on your employers. some employers paid their safety professionals 22000 Dirham (2.2m naira) per month while other might paid as low as 5000 Dirham (500k) per month.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by kellycute(m): 6:37am On Dec 10, 2019
marvin906:
seems Oman is better than Dubai..
high currency made me ditch Dubai would have taken Kuwait buh that one na isrealite journey..
buh seriously niggas are suffering sha
uae is the best place to be as a professionals but not as an hustler. That's the gospel truth!!!

5 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Mcowubaba: 6:38am On Dec 10, 2019
Champagnemami:

Lol
People just dont understand that its not easy anywhere. Currently, the US is d best place to hustle. So many side/odd jobs especially with the immigration restrictions. But in that same US, there are many Nigerians who can't afford a ticket home. Heck, some can't even send 20k for a family emergency in Naija.

In my school we're 80% Britain, Canada, America, Australia. The rest 20% are Arab, Africans, others. These 80% are coming from countries that you all are running to.

I earn more than a teacher on my grade level in the US. These ones use some considerable sum of their salary for taxes. Whereas mine is tax free.

But in this same Dubai, you find people with same qualifications as mine doing domestic help work of 150k.

At the end, its about sensitization. Don't just carry bag and say m going to Dubai. What are you coming here to do? Is that d best you can do? Are there better options? Ask questions and arm yourself with info.

That same India you condemned i have friends there who have hit it big. Meanwhile Indians are running into Dubai in droves.

And what's wrong in a shared accommodation? After I got my first pay, i rented a self con of 35k dirhams per annum. After 3 months i did a brain reset and got a shared apartment for 9000 aed per annum. Which means i now save extra 2.6million naira yearly.

That it didn't work for Yuh friends doesn't mean it wont work for others.

So you just take a chill pill and breath

I was with you throughout the thread until you made this point.
We all understand that what works for Mr A may not work for Mr B, heck we have billionaires in this same Nigeria people are dying of hunger, so using that logic is not always ideal.
UAE and most Arab countries are generally not advisable as they have certain human rights violation issue, massive racism, archaic and Islamic laws

Your class being made up of 98% Americans/British DOES NOT negate that fact that America (USA) is a better country for a Nigerian immigrant than UAE

India is a shithole country and any reasonable person will not be planning on going to India for greener pastures, who the hell does that
In life there are always exceptions, and your friends who have hit it big in India are amongst those few exception.

When we talk about immigration, talk about empirical evidence, longitudinal and documentated facts of people LEGALLY making it or settling down well in Countries, and USA, UK, Canada and few EU countries are on top of the list of such countries. UAE is NOT on that list.

You can't even hear about any company even talking about seizing, holding your passport in the countries I mentioned, I believe you don't understand the level of insanity for a company to even suggest such nonsense.

Companies in the countries I mentioned also SPONSOR their employees work permit/visa too and are at the same risk of employees resigning or running away, UAE compainies that suggest this act of holding your passport are simply silly.

Finally, I never said countries like USA, Canada and so on are beds of roses, but whatever suffering or agony an immigrant passes through, there are very stringent laws against human right abuse, racism, and generally this countries have 21st century modernised laws.

I have lived in Abu Dhabi for 4 months, and visited Dubai a few times it's certainly a beautiful place, but certainly not an ideal destination for a Nigerian economic immigrant, I would say it's 2nd option to consider if USA, Canada etc are not feasible

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by ednut1(m): 6:44am On Dec 10, 2019
luvola:
and you say make i go UAE
are u not a professional noi. Abi u be factory worker or hustler ni
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by ednut1(m): 6:45am On Dec 10, 2019
PrincessB1:
Flee to where?
another employer
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by kellycute(m): 6:45am On Dec 10, 2019
marvin906:
seems Oman is better than Dubai..
high currency made me ditch Dubai would have taken Kuwait buh that one na isrealite journey..
buh seriously niggas are suffering sha
I won't try to paint a picture of "it is all rosy here for everyone" cos it is not. There are lot of Naija youth suffering in uae and at the same time there are lot of naija youth having the best of life here. It all depends on your focused and how ambitious you are. You can never make it here in uae doing odd job, that is why I keep telling people not to bother to come here if they ain't professional. The only glorify odd job in Dubai is security but it is not easy to get.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Aremson14(m): 6:45am On Dec 10, 2019
Champagnemami:

Lol
People just dont understand that its not easy anywhere. Currently, the US is d best place to hustle. So many side/odd jobs especially with the immigration restrictions. But in that same US, there are many Nigerians who can't afford a ticket home. Heck, some can't even send 20k for a family emergency in Naija.

In my school we're 80% Britain, Canada, America, Australia. The rest 20% are Arab, Africans, others. These 80% are coming from countries that you all are running to.

I earn more than a teacher on my grade level in the US. These ones use some considerable sum of their salary for taxes. Whereas mine is tax free.

But in this same Dubai, you find people with same qualifications as mine doing domestic help work of 150k.

At the end, its about sensitization. Don't just carry bag and say m going to Dubai. What are you coming here to do? Is that d best you can do? Are there better options? Ask questions and arm yourself with info.

That same India you condemned i have friends there who have hit it big. Meanwhile Indians are running into Dubai in droves.

And what's wrong in a shared accommodation? After I got my first pay, i rented a self con of 35k dirhams per annum. After 3 months i did a brain reset and got a shared apartment for 9000 aed per annum. Which means i now save extra 2.6million naira yearly.

That it didn't work for Yuh friends doesn't mean it wont work for others.

So you just take a chill pill and breath
What would u say the opportunity is for a person with a Bsc in biochemistry 2:1.... And do u know about the possibility for pursuing a medicine degree there?
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by luvola(m): 6:57am On Dec 10, 2019
ednut1:
are u not a professional noi. Abi u be factory worker or hustler ni
lol
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by engrdubem(m): 7:07am On Dec 10, 2019
Uae,Canada,Australia,Nigeria.......if oil no Dey your head forget am....There is money even in the desert,even in Nigeria you can make a living.I live in Dubai with my family,I have loads of friends and associates living good lives here.Same applies to Nigeria and Canada I have family and friends doing very well.
It’s not in the knife ,it’s in the wielder of the knife period.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by AntiMCU: 7:19am On Dec 10, 2019
odi1278:
They have changed the law. You can stay back and get a job if successful. [1quote author=AntiMCU post=84769015]
At the bold, are you serious?

Who still goes to the U.K for educational purposes?

Such person is uninformed.
shocked
Yeah, just saw it yesterday.
Welcome development.
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:21am On Dec 10, 2019
Why can’t you go to Qatar since hey are hosting the next world cup more job available there
promzy555:
I am very confuse, don't av enough money to carry everyone, my plans is to work and save to pick my family. I was told Bahrain is beta than Dubai, that can use my 2 yrs resident to get a job in Bahrain. Pls pls u guys should help me with advise pls.
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Preetychina22(m): 7:36am On Dec 10, 2019
Depressed101:
hello dear i dont have a degree, but i have some IT certifications..., I don't mind doing blue collar job i am tired of Nigeria, what would be your advice, since you have a lot of experience.
You want to travel because you're tired of Nigeria lol. Without any plans and preparation, people like you are bound to suffer in Dubai. I'm sorry but that's the bitter truth. You don't have a 'hot-cake' degree, handwork or enough capital to run a business. Are you expecting a miracle?.
Save that 500k you want to waste on agent fees and flight tickets and use it to start a poultry business in your village. Or some other business.
But guess what? You'll never listen. I can't count the number of Nigerians I've met abroad who are stranded because they never listened. Some can't even afford a plate of food. You find them hanging around restaurants begging for food.
They went unprepared: without a plan.
I do encourage people to travel but to travel prepared. I wish you all the best.

18 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Preetychina22(m): 7:40am On Dec 10, 2019
Kingomat:
I will love to know more oooo... Just Got my VISA
Make sure you look at your plans properly. Are you going prepared? If you're not I'd advise you ditch the plan. Read my previous reply above.
All the best.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by francesawesome(f): 7:46am On Dec 10, 2019
Champagnemami:

What other qualifications do you have??
No other qualification for now. I'm planning to do my masters soon
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by francesawesome(f): 7:47am On Dec 10, 2019
Keenmind2019:

There's no way. Just marry a rich man
I am not a gold digger. I want to make my own money
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Digitalfinga: 7:50am On Dec 10, 2019
77up:
your type can easily fall victim, if you want travel agent, na for faceless forum you want am
Recommend one for me bro

1 Like

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by kelvindj98: 7:57am On Dec 10, 2019
birdmansoho:

It appears you’re here to mislead people into thinking Dubai is some choice destination for hustling. And becomes livid once anyone expresses a contrary view to the narrative you’re projecting herein. Heck UAE is a third world country with unemployment level more high than the Western countries you’re comparing it to.

You know for sure that the Western nationals working in the UAE migrated not coz they don’t have decent jobs in their home countries but mostly as expatriates and to enjoy a more friendly climate but you won’t highlight that fact. Rather you’ll be evasive and make it look like they migrated for the sole purpose of looking for greener pastures they lack in their countries and migrate to “hustle” like Nigerians do migrate. It’s a travesty to even compare UAE with UK, US, Canada etc as they aren’t even close in any indices be it economic or social welfare nor employment nor earnings on average.

Don’t be mischievous and you are the one who need to chill and be receptive to dissent. What’s in UAE to encourage anyone to migrate there and even compare with Western nations. You even went as far as comparing US immigrants to UAE, please be serious and saying some can’t afford to send 20k as if that’s a new news...we’re talking about overall average. Imagine even comparing world biggest economies to a squalor third world nation.

Finally, be informed that I meant rooms sharing not apartment share, although I’m aware you understood what I meant but for mischief-making purposes had to address something else as regards room share I highlighted.

Please if you’re reading this I reiterate don’t dare go to Dubai except fraud/drugs is your main objective. There are little or no decent jobs there.
Yeah, glad you caught on too. I don't trust this fabu anymore jare. Was believing it at first, but the way the OP was trying too hard to counter others with different experiences shows there is an end game.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by MrBONE2(m): 8:29am On Dec 10, 2019
Champagnemami:
@kelechi50

There's slavery everywhere.
Best bet is to stay in your home country.

You think its all rosy in Europe and the Americas.

Yeah granted no one holds your passport but you see instances where people live in advanced countries and dare not make a move out of the country, stuck there for even up to 10yrs cos its a requirement for papers

In these case SiSi it's better to remain at Home.

Am Proudly African and would remain in Africa Forever grin

May Great One continues to protect Us

Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by GoldenJAT(m): 8:29am On Dec 10, 2019
Champagnemami:

Its gonna be tough. Very tough
Alright! Thanks for the prompt response.
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Lleigh(f): 8:42am On Dec 10, 2019
Depressed101:
hello dear i dont have a degree, but i have some IT certifications..., I don't mind doing blue collar job i am tired of Nigeria, what would be your advice, since you have a lot of experience.

If you have IT qualifications have you looked at freelancing via fivr etc. Be honest open and professional you will get work.
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by Lleigh(f): 8:45am On Dec 10, 2019
todman:

How is the environment for IT professionals and the salary range. I have noticed an increase in the number of recruiters from Dubai on linkedin. A couple of them regularly reach out to me but i don't know what the IT landscape is like there. Do they pay better than a good Nigerian Tech salary. (Talking about over the 500k range)

It depends what company is reaching out to you. Be careful and do you research. Some people got their fingers burnt. But if it is with a mnc based there you should be fine
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by mr1759: 9:04am On Dec 10, 2019
budaatum:

I have friends in Dubai who are doing very well indeed. One in construction as an architect and not a labourer, a few are teachers and a couple are accountants. No one took their passports off them and they travel regularly. I also know a maid though who is slaving and can't travel so it does seem to depend on one's skills set.

I'll call you a product of hard work. Some expect to reap what they don't sow.
In UAE ur employer seize ur passport as long as you work with him, and you can not travel out of UAE till ur job contract is over. Don’t be deceived
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by 77up(m): 9:10am On Dec 10, 2019
Digitalfinga:

Recommend one for me bro
Search for gulf platform on Google and reach out to them.
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by abbatoir(m): 9:10am On Dec 10, 2019
Interesting
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by rosebuzz(f): 9:13am On Dec 10, 2019
Str8talk21:
For d sake of clarity...for Dubai visa, Dubai jobs and Canada study visa....message me here.
For imbeciles who just want to run people down for no just cause...stay clear off my quote...if you don't want to be messed up here.
07010776456 pls lets talk
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by moseslarry(m): 9:16am On Dec 10, 2019
Champagnemami
Hello pls, I’m planning to move to uae next year January, I studied food science, what are my chances of getting a job in food industry and apart from food Industry, is there any probability that i can get a good paying job else where? Lastly, I would like to add you permanently for further guidance. Thanks.
Re: My Experience Living And Working In The UAE by raindrop99: 9:19am On Dec 10, 2019
Everyone is talking abt having a Degree b4 going to Dubai, how abt Diploma or don't they accept our Nigeria Diploma cert?
Experience mind should enlighten me cos me too wants 2 travel

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (30) (Reply)

Nigeria Airways: The Nigerian Picture That Will Bring Tears To Your Eyes / Top 10 Countries In The World To Migrate To / Spanish Student Visas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.