Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:48 PM

Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals (35761 Views)

Kano Hisbah Bans Use Of Mannequins For Display Of Clothes By Tailors, Boutique O / Catholic Church Bans Mbaka From Commenting On Partisan Politics / Catholic Church Bans Ejike Mbaka From Endorsing Politicians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by IYANGBALI: 12:20pm On Dec 09, 2019
Romanoff:

Will you shut up?

First of all find out what "asoebi" means and where it originated from. I am a Yoruba woman and we love our asoebi, even for burials. That's how you differentiate the family from guests.

Please educate yourself and shift.
as if others don't join in picking the aso ebi? Poverty has destroyed your brain ode
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Temptee101(m): 12:22pm On Dec 09, 2019
I don't support this

They should have made it optional
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Amiteye(m): 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2019
RiyadhGoddess:
Your Attitude determines your altitude in life.
Happy New Week FAM.

What are you thankful for this year 2019?
If you are on the Island especially Ajah axis, I bet you do not want to miss Dominion City Rainbow Thanksgiving starting today Monday 6.30pm all through Sunday 8am. Venue, Dominion City HQ Ajah. Come and thank God in different languages.
Jesus is Lord!
sorry Sir that Church Dominion city what's the other name i attended the one at asaba while I was schooling there I just love how the Church works but didn't pay attention to the real name I just had Dominion city in my head that was it..
Shame I can't find one here in Warri
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by frozen70(f): 12:35pm On Dec 09, 2019
Despirado121:

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/anglican-church-bans-brochure-asoebi-in-burials.html

Brochures are good for memories and pictures

But for aso-ebi, I agree with you

Though it's a means of raising funds not creating expenses
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by SURElee(f): 12:36pm On Dec 09, 2019
Good one, they should extend to other areas biko.
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by skyhighweb(m): 12:38pm On Dec 09, 2019
nzeobi:
Allod people to pay respect which ever way the feel.
by going broke shey
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by HopeAtHand: 12:39pm On Dec 09, 2019
buygala:
Nice one kiss

Even though since there is no Brochure/Table of events, how do people like me who attend burials mainly for the food know when 'Item 7' is due so that we can plan our gatecrashing accordingly?

Nowadays refreshment is no longer item7, sometimes e dey reach item12.

1 Like

Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Amiteye(m): 12:41pm On Dec 09, 2019
Temptee101:
I don't support this

They should have made it optional
don't you feel if they make it optional its still be the same as before..... people who do not have would go out of their way to make the asoebi available. so their family don't seem like the poorest, which is exactly what the Church is trying to halt. But I feel asoebi is a traditional thing, so not in the place of the Church to stop or allow
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by fredie107(m): 12:42pm On Dec 09, 2019
Unnecessary Expenses!

The questions is: do we really need to spend money for burial aside transporting the corps and purchasing a coffin.

2 Likes

Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by juman(m): 12:43pm On Dec 09, 2019
Good move.
Peoples go and borrow money to give their dead "deserving burial".
They might not even take good care of the person when alive.

Burial in Islam is easy.
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by madapcmod: 12:44pm On Dec 09, 2019
Guyman02:
I attended a funeral at Anambra where the presiding Bishop insisted that the funeral brochure will not be used for the Requiem Mass despite protestation from some family members. The Church distributed its own Order of Service which was returned after Church service. The brochure had to be distributed outside the church venue.
As per Asoebi, that one would be hard to implement in the South West cheesy

But the sad reality is that when the deceased was alive and needed help many of those spending money on funeral will not lend a helping hand to keep him/her alive

You are right.

Catholic Diocese of Awka has banned it since 2017.

There is Burial prayer book used by Catholics. They are in Churches too.

Printing of brochure etc are frivolities in my opinion.

Anglicans are welcome to join in stopping the frivolities in burial
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by thatigboman: 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2019
IYANGBALI:
you are a fool. The post is not is not about the meaning of aso ebi but the use of it at burials, so fok off and get a life
iyangbali the tribalist. u are here insulting people
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Nobody: 1:11pm On Dec 09, 2019
This is unnecessary meddling
What concerns the church with the burial.
Their own na to come bury person then go and leave the rest for the mourners.
This is absolutely rubbish.
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by edoairways: 1:33pm On Dec 09, 2019
anytexy:
I stand with you. I am a Christian but I condemn in a strong term wastefull spending during Christian burials. I give it to musilem on this.
This has nothing to with Christianity but traditional and cultural believes.
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by jahsharon: 1:49pm On Dec 09, 2019
Romanoff:
Yoruba people will not like this.

This hppened in Abatete, Idemili North Local Government Area of the Anambra State. It can never happen in our land. No Asoebi, No Owambe, No Burial. Se finih.
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by bonnyhope: 1:57pm On Dec 09, 2019
Romanoff:
Yoruba people will not like this.

How many of them attend Anglican? Most of them attend Redeem, Cele, Winners. Some are Muslims and traditionalists
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Yankee101: 1:59pm On Dec 09, 2019
Yep. Cut the cost
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by RiyadhGoddess(f): 2:00pm On Dec 09, 2019
Brese Events Arena
Km 4 Refinery Road
By shaguolo bridge
Ekpan
Warri
Sunday's 8am
Wednesday's 5pm

quote author=Amiteye post=84762536]sorry Sir that Church Dominion city what's the other name i attended the one at asaba while I was schooling there I just love how the Church works but didn't pay attention to the real name I just had Dominion city in my head that was it..
Shame I can't find one here in Warri[/quote]
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Amiteye(m): 2:47pm On Dec 09, 2019
APOPTOSIS:
Are these FOREIGN CHURCHES now deciding how AFRICANS should run their CULTURES...??Or what..??
let's pretend you don't have sense and cannot read and understand
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 09, 2019
APOPTOSIS:
Are these FOREIGN CHURCHES now deciding how AFRICANS should run their CULTURES...??Or what..??
If that is the case, then you should abandon CHRISTIANITY entirely since it was not FOUNDED by an African,.

1 Like

Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Amiteye(m): 2:56pm On Dec 09, 2019
Thank you. I leave close to NPA will be there on Sunday
RiyadhGoddess:
Brese Events Arena
Km 4 Refinery Road
By shaguolo bridge
Ekpan
Warri
Sunday's 8am
Wednesday's 5pm

quote author=Amiteye post=8476257y36]sorry Sir that Church Dominion city what's the other name i attended the one at asaba while I was schooling there I just love how the Church works but didn't pay attention to the real name I just had Dominion city in my head that was it..
Shame I can't find one here in Warri
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by RiyadhGoddess(f): 3:25pm On Dec 09, 2019
Amiteye:
Thank you. I leave close to NPA will be there on Sunday

You are very welcome Sir. If you have any difficulty, please chat me up...
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Solsix(m): 4:38pm On Dec 09, 2019
Guyman02:
I attended a funeral at Anambra where the presiding Bishop insisted that the funeral brochure will not be used for the Requiem Mass despite protestation from some family members. The Church distributed its own Order of Service which was returned after Church service. The brochure had to be distributed outside the church venue.
As per Asoebi, that one would be hard to implement in the South West cheesy
No
But the sad reality is that when the deceased was alive and needed help many of those spending money on funeral will not lend a helping hand to keep him/her alive
Brochures are not meant to be used in the church, people will be watching pictures while mass or service is going on.

1 Like

Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by nlPoster: 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2019
Valwezzy:
Good move.
It might interest you guys to know that kidnappers and armed robbers also use burial brochures to mark their targets.

They read it and know who's doing well(rich) in a family and who's not. Also where they live.

Have any verified instances happened?

This is disturbing.
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Reader530(m): 5:37pm On Dec 09, 2019
anytexy:
I stand with you. I am a Christian but I condemn in a strong term wastefull spending during Christian burials. I give it to musilem on this.
Or you from the south are our problems.... Hausa Christians don't do Aseobi for burial
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Obec70(m): 6:44pm On Dec 09, 2019
Would they put a stop to money spent in church before a member will be buried? Request of different kinds of food been requested by various groups in the church? Categories of clergy & their settlements? Outing Thanksgiving demands or even raising fund not even for the deceased family? Kinds of drinks that filled everywhere like nwugo market were drinks are sold? Also demands by the deceased family or relatives? What of money spent in mortuary /casket? Brochure & Asobi abi ashebi are there the most costly expenses in burials? Please I need answers from Diocese on the Niger Anglican Church!

1 Like

Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by sofiscatedmoron: 7:54pm On Dec 09, 2019
LordTosinJ:
Good, Igbos like to act many dramas in the name of rites to during times like this. Now this will save some people from needless spending.
Anyway this is only restricted to the diocese.
ur head is paining u abi,
what has ibo got to do witb asoebi and brochure
afonja man
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by Legendguru: 8:15pm On Dec 09, 2019
Hmmmm
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by olasaad(f): 9:32pm On Dec 09, 2019
NOC1:
Good but let you people also put an end to the money been paid as a result of so called money owed by a member before his death.
I was told that before a member is buried his or her monetary debts must be cleared (paid off).

Yes it's very compulsory. Even as a Muslim, paying of debts is the first thing to do for your deceased. It's GOD law not man made
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by VanSARS: 9:42pm On Dec 09, 2019
kristen12:
Sounds good abeg. Extorting in form of aso ebi will reduce in a place at least.
Abeg , I Must say oooo , Instead of Reading Latest Nigeria News i prefer listening to Good Top Naija Songs Biko ooooo

It's useless making people run into debts and running into debt yourself because you want to throw a society party.

Weddings should be next.
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by CeterisXVII: 10:22pm On Dec 09, 2019
Aidejay:
cause yorubas are the only ones that print brochure and buy "aso ebi"…?
The people who would be unhappy are brochure printers/designers, tailors and aso ebi merchants.
There is nothing wrong with using brochure. It allows people to pay tribute to the dead, in writing.

The initial pages often contain the order of service, prayers and hymns which allows the congregation to follow the proceedings. It also contains a biography of the deceased and how he lived his personal life.

Such brochures often hold fond memories for family members and close associates.

For example, I had to educate some of my younger cousins about their grandmother' recently, by sending them an old copy of the brochure used for their grandma's funeral.

They lived abroad and never got to know her well..
Re: Anglican Church Bans Use Of Brochure, Asoebi At Funerals by CeterisXVII: 10:28pm On Dec 09, 2019
frozen70:
Brochures are good for memories and pictures

But for aso-ebi, I agree with you

Though it's a means of raising funds not creating expenses
Aso-ebi does not have to be expensive. And it is not forced on anybody. There is Ankara of less than 2k. Anybody can select that one and use it.

The children of the deceased often wear the same cloth, in order to identify themselves, and bond together.

Later this Anglican Diocese on the Niger will say husband and wife should not wear the same material.

Let them abolish the money that their members pay during harvest and bazzars.

Obec70:
Would they put a stop to money spent in church before a member will be buried? Request of different kinds of food been requested by various groups in the church? Categories of clergy & their settlements? Outing Thanksgiving demands or even raising fund not even for the deceased family? Kinds of drinks that filled everywhere like nwugo market were drinks are sold? Also demands by the deceased family or relatives? What of money spent in mortuary /casket? Brochure & Asobi abi ashebi are there the most costly expenses in burials? Please I need answers from Diocese on the Niger Anglican Church!
Thank you, o! Even brochures does not have to be expensive. It depends on the kind of paper used for the event and how many pages are included.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Atheist Neurosurgeon Finds God After Near Death Experience. / Five Sins That Will Take Many Christians To Hell Fire / Pastor W F Kumuyi And His New Bride Aduke

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.