Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,586 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities (42427 Views)

Children's International School Fees In Lagos That Got People Talking (picture) / Abolish Acceptance Fees In Universities - FG Gets 7-Day Ultimatum One Love Group / Charging Of Tuition Fees In Federal Universities Illegal - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by ijustdey: 10:39am On Jun 14, 2023
The federal government is set to introduce tuition fees in federal universities, polytechnics and other tertiary institutions following the signing of the Student Loan Bill by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Daily Trust reports.

The bill, which is now an act of parliament was signed on Monday, a development widely celebrated in many quarters without understanding the implication of the new law for the millions of prospective students who rely on tuition-free higher institutions of learning to acquire knowledge.

Educationists and other stakeholders said this would have wider implications.

In Nigeria, tuition, which runs into hundreds of thousands of naira or even millions of naira in private universities, is free in government schools at both national and state levels.

The situation has been the same since independence, even though some charges for other issues such as accommodation, departmental, and course registration, among others vary from one institution to another.

The waiver of tuition has given millions of students the opportunity to go to school, but observers say the introduction of a student loan scheme by the federal government means an end to tuition-free education.

There was no immediate response from the Federal Ministry of Education

What the law says

Clause 3 of the Students Loan Act says: “The loans referred to in this Act shall be granted to students only for the payment of tuition fees.

This clause contravenes the existing provision that says tuition is free in public institutions.

Meanwhile, the question of tuition in Nigerian institutions is a constitutional matter vide Chapter 2 of the amended 1999 Constitution. By the provisions of that chapter, no publicly owned institution is permitted and it is illegal for any one of them to charge tuition fees on any citizen of the country.

According to the Act establishing the law, the Student Loan Bill would provide easy access to higher education for indigent Nigerians through interest-free loans from the Nigerian Education Loan Fund.

As enacted by the National, the Act shall apply to all matters pertaining to the application and grant of loans to Nigerians seeking higher education into institutions of higher learning in Nigeria through the Nigerian Education Loan Fund.

“All students seeking higher education in any public institution of higher learning in Nigeria shall have equal right to access the loans under this Act without any discrimination arising from gender, religion, tribe, position or disability of any kind,” the act reads.

It, however, noted that the grant of the loan to any student under the Act shall be subject to the applicant satisfying the requirements and conditions set out under this Act.

Many students will leave school – ASUU

When Daily Trust contacted the President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke, he said the bill is not new as it has been on for a long time.

He said: “A country where more than 133 million are living below the poverty line and you want to introduce tuition fees? It will be counterproductive.

“Every Nigerian should know what is going to happen next and there may likely be another bill waiting for signature that will introduce tuition fees. If the bill indicated that the loan is to pay tuition fees and there are no tuition fees in Nigerian universities, then what is your next approach,” he asked.

He, however, noted that the union is yet to have access to the accurate copy and that they needed to get it and study it.

“We have said long ago, in 2017, to President Buhari when they came up with the issue of tuition fees, that every student will pay N1 million and we said you cannot put that in our agreement and you cannot use that to negotiate with us and with the nature of the country we have today, there is no way that will work.

“What will happen is that the majority of students whose parents cannot afford it will pull out of school in anger and you know what that means, they will fight the society back. But let us get the correct information first before knowing the next steps,” he added.

A professor at the University of Abuja, Ben Ugwoke, said going by the provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, no public institution pays tuition fees. That is, all public institutions in Nigeria are tuition-free.

“However, due to underfunding, the governing councils or boards of these public institutions are permitted by the laws establishing the institutions to determine appropriate charges and levies that students should pay to cover specific costs.

“The bill signed into law does not abrogate the various acts of the National Assembly establishing the public institutions which enable them to levy students appropriately. The new students’ loan act did not in any way abolish the current or future regime of charges students of public institutions in Nigeria currently pay.

“Let me hazard a guess that the new act has laid a formal basis for the various governing organs of the public institutions in Nigeria to levy higher charges on students,” he said.

According to him, “To the naive, it means relief but to my mind, I think it means higher charges are on the horizon for students.”

For Professor Nasiru Medugu Idris of Nasarawa State University Keffi, “Tuition fees will remain the same or even higher. This is because the students’ loan will strictly be for the purpose of tuition fees. So no abolition of tuition fees in Nigerian universities.”

He said parents might think that it is a kind of relief for them but actually this is not because students’ living expenses per semester are very huge.

“School’s tuition fee maybe 10 to 20 per cent of students’ expenditure per semester. Therefore parents and students should not celebrate the signing of the act for now until they have accessed the loan first,” he said.

Meanwhile, when Daily Trust contacted the Federal Ministry of Education to clarify clause 3 of the act, via a text message to the Permanent Secretary, David Adejo, through the Director of Press, Bem Ben Goong, the director said the ministry will address a press conference on Wednesday to clarify all issues and as such had no comment.

https://dailytrust.com/students-loan-fg-to-introduce-tuition-fees-in-varsities/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by JasonScoolari: 10:40am On Jun 14, 2023
Tinubu is very brilliant.

At least, with the student loan, the youths that failed to payback would be recruited into the army as payback. Agbado and cassava go surplus.

50 million youths into the army, is here to stay.

274 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Zonefree(m): 10:43am On Jun 14, 2023
In Nigeria, tuition, which runs into hundreds of thousands of naira or even millions of naira in private universities, is free in government schools at both national and state levels.

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

So, how's tuition free in government schools?

127 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NobleSeed(m): 10:48am On Jun 14, 2023
In Nigeria, tuition, which runs into hundreds of thousands of naira or even millions of naira in private universities,
is free in government schools at both national and state levels
I no understand that line well undecided undecided

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by GanagiBeetrus: 10:58am On Jun 14, 2023
Education will eventually be for the rich.

20 Likes

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by JasonScoolari: 11:09am On Jun 14, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

APC media will tell you that travelling from LOS - ABV is FREE with your NIN.

They control the media with lies and propaganda.

136 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by NLegendforte: 11:10am On Jun 14, 2023
Nonsense, I am in federal University currently, paid almost 200000 this session, have spent close to 80k this semester on feeding, transport, materials etc.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by JasonScoolari: 11:14am On Jun 14, 2023
JobNeededUrgent:
has Obi found his manhood yet?
Ode
When you stop mistaking me for your Dad and concentrate on your 15k primary school teacher job, more offers will come.

304 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Zonefree(m): 11:16am On Jun 14, 2023
JasonScoolari:
When you stop mistaking me for your Dad and concentrate on your 15k primary school teacher job, more offers will come.
You slaughtered him grin grin

260 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Ebubu2: 11:20am On Jun 14, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

those you mentioned are not tuition. Tuition means money paid for being taught. It directly goes into paying the teachers.

Tuition does not exist even in your school fees printouts. You only see these ones you highlighted.

Tuition will be reintroduced and federal schools will become expensive.

The alternative is get the student loan.

The other ones you mentioned will still be there, as they have always been there, just that they don’t exceed 20k most times (examination fee, library fee).

70 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by JasonScoolari: 11:24am On Jun 14, 2023
Zonefree:

You slaughtered him grin grin
That's how they behave. Like senseless individuals.

111 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Zonefree(m): 11:28am On Jun 14, 2023
JasonScoolari:
That's how they behave. Like senseless individuals.
Let the poor Breeef grin

106 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by JasonScoolari: 11:29am On Jun 14, 2023
Zonefree:

Let the poor Breeef grin
I won't suffocate them. grin

93 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Telegram234(m): 12:53pm On Jun 14, 2023
JasonScoolari:
Boss forget about heaven, you are definitely going to hell. cheesy

159 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by maticar: 12:54pm On Jun 14, 2023
GanagiBeetrus:
Lokks like Education will eventually be for the rich.
maybe thats the much needed catalyst for a proper revolution in nigeria?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by JasonScoolari: 12:55pm On Jun 14, 2023
Telegram234:

Boss forget about heaven, you are definitely going to hell. cheesy
God will find accomodation in heaven for me... He is a loving God that does not care whether I am Igbo or another tribe.... That's how loving he is. 😊😊😊

You see that Heaven, I go enter am with you, Na no man's land. grin

103 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by maticar: 12:57pm On Jun 14, 2023
JasonScoolari:
eweeeee

someone has been sent to hell and back

this your vayolence is legendary

108 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Spending123: 3:12pm On Jun 14, 2023
Get the loan go to school, if after school no job and you can't pay back, what happens?
That's when you'll understand what Tinibu meant by saying "he will recruit millions of youths into the army and feeds them with cassava, garri. Make Onah just the play.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by AntiChristian: 3:38pm On Jun 14, 2023
Everything will be sorted out soon and the pessimists will eat dust in disgrace!

2 Likes

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by BOOKWORMLUX(m): 3:39pm On Jun 14, 2023
Federal Universities across the country have increased their school fees already, so I don't understand this tuition fees again

Imagine someone studying Civic Education paying about #100k school fees already and they're still talking about tuition fees

I hope this is not true, because last last everybody go leave the school for them

23 Likes

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by AntiChristian: 3:39pm On Jun 14, 2023
Bad Belle!

JasonScoolari:
Tinubu is very brilliant.

At least, with the student loan, the youths that failed to payback would be recruited into the army as payback. Agbado and cassava go surplus.

50 million youths into the army, is here to stay.

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by tollyboy5(m): 3:40pm On Jun 14, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

Did you pay for your lecturer and professors salary?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by fineyemi(m): 3:40pm On Jun 14, 2023
What the hell is going on. Tuition fee is never free. Or what the hellll is going on with FG

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by MorataFC: 3:41pm On Jun 14, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.
You will understand grin
I paid library fees
You read books there, isn't it?
I paid for my hostel
You slept there, and you need to pay for it
I paid for my feeding
This one is funny, even Father xmass can not feed you for one day without collecting money from you cheesy grin grin
I paid for textbooks
You bought them and it yours.
Who pays the staff? Both teaching and non-teaching staff.
What are about the general running expenses of the school?

14 Likes

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by Beverlyjean(f): 3:41pm On Jun 14, 2023
Agbadorians are dumb na... Tinubu operates like the devil.... take and bring in return

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by deji17: 3:41pm On Jun 14, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

You left out some cost..
- The school infrastructure .
- Lecturers cost, as they are always complaining of low wages....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by VTJN(m): 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2023
Zonefree:

I don't understand.

I paid library fees
I paid for my hostel
I paid for my feeding
I paid for textbooks

it is subsidised not entirely free

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by jmoore(m): 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2023
J
Re: Students’ Loan: FG To Introduce Tuition Fees In Universities by deji17: 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2023
tollyboy5:

Did you pay for your lecturer and professors salary?

They cannot think that far..

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sexually Transmitted Degrees : 7 Things You Should Know / Redeployment Letter From Corper With "Spiritual Attack" - 'Aljanu'(photo) / An OAU Student's Project On Defeathering A Chicken. This Is An Awesome Invention

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.