Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,934 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) - Business (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) (39640 Views)

3 Reasons You Need To Start A Cashew Business(with pictures) / 4 Challenges Of Setting Up A Side Income And Working Full-time / What's The Cost Of Setting Up A Petrol Filling Station In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:25am On May 18, 2022
One of the things that can make farming difficult for you is acquiring farmland not accessible.

In 2012,we hauled about 10 tons of maize � from a farm down to the buyer.

The road from the farm leading to the main road was poor to the extent that the truck got damaged about 3 times.

The journey of a normal 15mins turned to 2 hours.

The cost we incurred due to poor accesibility was even close to the amount we were to sell the maize.

Like I always say,distance should not be the decision on where to acquire your farmland.

Afterall,what you eat this morning or what you will consume this evening is likely to be from the North especially if you are based in southern or eastern part of the country.

Farm accesibility is everything

Is it accessible?

Can you take your car/truck to the farm with no issues?

Can you transport your produce from the farm easily down to the buyer with no issues?

Fortunately,for those who are yet to make decision on acquiring farmland,our farm estates in ogbomoso, Ilorin,apomu, ijebu-igbo are the right plug for you to acquire your farm; it's very accessible

So in your decision on acquiring farmland,make accessibility one of your major decision process
#waleagro#agriculture

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:58am On May 20, 2022
Going,going

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:58am On May 21, 2022
Lease or outright purchase?

Let me quickly share this for those looking for land to cultivate long term crops such as plantain,oilpalm,cashew,coconut etc

Many years ago,I saw a very good farmland in ijebu-ode to cultivate plantain.
After few findings,I approached the landlord and strike a deal for long lease of 6 years with verbal agreement to re-lease the land for another 6 years after the expiration of the first one.

We started clearing and cultivation and we got a good harvest and yield in the first year and the second year
By the third year,I got a call from my landlord that he has a buyer who is ready to buy outrightly
I was like "but my lease has not expired"

"Don't worry,I will pay you back the fee for the remaining years"

I thought "so all of my established plantain will be gone"
I was not only surprised,I was totally shocked
We scrambled to relocate the plantain stands but it was too late.
Even long farmland lease don't work in our clime here.

If you are looking at leasing,then maybe you are cultivating short term crops such as corn, groundnuts,cucumber, soybeans etc

Outright purchase gives you peace of mind and you are able to take absolute decisions on whatever you want to cultivate on your land.

1 Like

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:43am On May 24, 2022
#doagricitpays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:32am On May 30, 2022
After 3 years of consistent cultivation on all of our farm estates,we narrow down to few short term crops we decided to be cultivating every year these crops as a farm business

You should also consider them due to their market price stability and ease of storage
First,

Groundnut farming

Current price of 100kg of groundnut is N66k,last year it flunctuates around N55k per bag
Your target yield should be at least 500kg per acre if all things work well
We are also looking at cultivating Groundnut on our farm estate this season and we are really prepare for the post-harvest work because that's where the heavyweight of the work is.

Second one is Soybeans farming

Any day,anytime you will catch us with soybeans because it's one of our favorite.
A bag flunctuates between N30k-N37k per bag this year.
If you have at least 500kg yield on an acre,then that should fetch you some few millions on tens of acres

Then third one is Cowpea production
Cowpea is also a good crop to cultivate.
The price flunctuates between N50k -N55k per bag last year and likely to increase this year.
If you are looking at any of this crop,make sure you are well prepared for the post-harvest work.
I guess this is why the price is always on the high side come rain come shine.

Want to acquire suitable farmland for any of these three crops on any of our farm estates or you want to learn how to setup,manage from harvest to sales,we have got you covered.
Just a DM away

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:04am On Jun 03, 2022
#doagricitpays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:48am On Jun 04, 2022
My first bitter lesson as a farmer and agro-investor in Nigeria

One of the things that makes farm business fail is biting more than you can chew especially when you have great interest in venturing into agriculture

Many want to cultivate 200 acres of land but don't have the financial,human resources to cultivate 50 acres.

Cultivate the number of acres you have the resources to do.

In short start with what you can finish.

If you start and you are stuck in the middle of cultivation due to financial incapabilities,you would have wasted the initial money invested and at the end of the day would not be able to get the returns.

You can acquire 200 acres and start cultivating in 50's or 40's every year according to your financial capacity and structure you have on the farm

There are many abandoned farm,don't join the numbers.

Looking to acquire farmland on any of our farm estates in ogbomoso, ijebu-igbo,Ilorin,apomu, kindly DM or call +2349031147593

Have a blessed weekend
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:55am On Jun 06, 2022
This is a must watch video for every farmer/agropreneur out there by multi billionaire Dr Cosmas Maduka.

Agriculture is not a get rich quick scheme.

When you fail,you learn from it,make corrections,try again,learn again,try again before finally succeeding.

It's the only way sustainable wealth and success can happen in this farm business

Dr Cosmas Maduka has few words to share in this video.

Watch full video on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=644eUu7QisE
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:58am On Jun 14, 2022
G

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:40am On Jun 19, 2022
Happy Sunday my people
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:18am On Jun 20, 2022
Very funny pic
how true is this?

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:39am On Jun 25, 2022
2 Ways Farm Business Put Money Into Your Pocket (First One Is Hidden)

Just about 4 years ago,we acquire about 4.04 million sqm of farmland in ogbomoso which we used to establish one of our farm estates.

After it was surveyed and secured,I paid a visit and I was like “God,how do we get here”

Thick bushes everywhere,you can hardly see the next person 5metre away.

But something kept telling me “well,we are not using it for housing estate,we are using it majorly for farming”

I guess my mind was trying to encourage me to accept the fate.

I believe that one day,it will turn to a town or city but I didn't believe the rate of development will be so fast.

Like my Dad use to say “ the cities of today were villages of yesterday”

The said location is now turning to a town with full social amenities everywhere

Many years ago,a potential client from Europe wanted to acquired large expanse of farmland to start a farm business but surprisingly said he is not longer interested in that particular location.

I asked him “why?”

He said “ the location is undeveloped and bushy”

Recently,I did a drone video of the same location and sent to him

He was like “wow”

He was surprised by the changes that has taken place and he wanted to key in but unfortunately the expanse of land is no longer available in that location

If anybody tells you to come and buy farmland inside bush,don't hesitate.

It seems our rural side is developing faster than we thought possible as seen from all of our farm estate locations.

Apart from appreciation of our land,it is also yielding revenue for WaleAgro and all of our partners in the various locations.

First,you have your land appreciate in value and

Second,your land keep generating revenue for you till forever

Agriculture is truly a double edged profitable sword.

This is the right time to plug in!!
Call or DM +2349031147593

#waleagro#farming

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:51am On Jul 07, 2022
Still selling!!!

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 9:09am On Jul 11, 2022
#keeponworkingonyourdream
#itisvalid
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:16am On Jul 16, 2022
#doagric
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:19am On Jul 18, 2022
This is my testimony

Many years ago,I saw an future opportunity to venture into farming business.

Nobody believe but I believe in myself to take up the risks and the enormous wealth creating opportunities agribusiness present.

A friend even told me" you are crazy", you want to be a farmer?"

On my first attempt,mo lule (I failed)

I stood up and try again.

I kept trying,making mistakes,learning and making progress.

Today,the stories are different

We have paid our dues 

Like I use to tell potential farmers,agro-investors

"If you actually want to make good money in farm business,you need to make mistake, learn,try again,progress and repeat the cycle again" and have patience in going through the process

From 2.5acres of lease land in a remote village in ogun state when I started to about 800 acres under cultivation with over 10,000 acres under acquisition and still counting.

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF!!!

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 8:39am On Jul 20, 2022
#DoagricItpays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:55am On Jul 21, 2022
Learn from my first bitter lesson as a farmer and agro-investor in Nigeria

One of the things that makes farm business fail is biting more than you can chew especially when you have great interest in venturing into agriculture

Many want to cultivate 200 acres of land but don't have the financial,human resources to cultivate 50 acres.

Cultivate the number of acres you have the resources to do.

In short start with what you can finish.

If you start and you are stuck in the middle of cultivation due to financial incapabilities,you would have wasted the initial money invested and at the end of the day would not be able to get the returns.

You can acquire 200 acres and start cultivating in 50's or 40's every year according to your financial capacity and structure you have on the farm

There are many abandoned farm,don't join the numbers.

Have a blessed day

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 5:53pm On Jul 27, 2022
4 farm marketing mistakes you should not make

Recently waleagro and some of our partners who we are involved with farm management on one of our farm estates needed cash for a major farm.opeeration and we needed to offload some tons of our produce from the warehouse to the market.
Normally,we have offtakers that we call whenever we are offtaking but due to the fact that that this new offtaker offer better price for our produce,I chose him

Well,who does not want a better price for his/her produce?
I like making money for WaleAgro and our partners.That was how this buyer came to the farm to pick up.our produce.

Unfortunately,many months after,we were still begging this buyer to send in the money which contravene our policy of cash and carry; as a serious buyer who want to buy,you come to the farm to check and weigh,if satisfied with the specifications,you make payment outrightly or at most within 24hours

To cut the long story short,it delays some of the important farm operations and we still dey try settle the matter.

So first lesson,It's better to offtake to those you have an existing and smooth business relationship with

Lesson 2 you should learn from
Produce and sell good quality farm produce;When offtakers knows you with quality products,they will be rushing you everywhere.
Na Dem they rush us because theyy can guarantee that they will find quality farm produce from our warehouse.
If it's to go extra mile to procure machineries to improve the quality of your produce,please do it; it sets you apart.

Thirdly, sometimes forces of nature comes into play in your production process
There was a year we had unexpected heavy rain fall during our soybeans harvesting time and it fell heavily on our harvested soybeans.
You know when water and soybeans meet,the colour changes from.white to black and drastically reduce quality.
That was the year we sold black soybeans... lol

I was unhappy because a lot of efforts and resources has gone into it.
I had to put a call to one of our great offtakers to explain situation we find ourselves.

About few days after the call,he brought his truck to the farm, pick it up and pay for those soybeans (although slightly below the normal market price) but save. Us from the bad situation.
Many months later,I learnt how he went extra lenght to resold to some feed factories.
You need a good,long lasting business relationship with your offtakers.
They will save you during time of crisis

Fourth lesson:Have a good knowledge about the market price of what you are producing.
There are 1001 buyers ready to take advantage of your lack of knowledge of the market price of what you are producing.

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:31am On Jul 28, 2022
Agriculture when done right can generate sustainable wealth
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:23pm On Jul 29, 2022
#learntoearn
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 3:10pm On Aug 01, 2022
It's another Monday,how far are you going into achieving your dream by taking massive action?
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:46am On Aug 12, 2022
#happyfriday
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 10:49am On Aug 12, 2022
The Secret to making a 8 digits figure from livestock farming.

During one of my visit to one of our ranches in Oyo state, I stumbled on a secret that has helped WaleAgro and our partners generated lots of money.

Livestock farming can generate lots of money for you if you know what you are doing

Your stock can even be doubled or tripled within a year

Within 4 years,your livestock farm should be churning out tens of millions in revenue every year.

If you are into cattle,sheep or goat,then it's a must read.

I have shared it on our telegram platform.

You can read the ebook there,work it out and start making the money.

You can join our telegram group through the link below

https:///+H15MZWdgcMkzNDc0

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:21am On Aug 18, 2022
#doagricItpays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:02am On Sep 01, 2022
Happy new month to you all.
More to come for us all in good health,and prosperity
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:31am On Sep 02, 2022
#Gogreen
DoagricItpays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:06am On Sep 05, 2022
Quitters never win,winners never quit

During my early years as an agropreneur and farmer,I thought of given up and quit because of the challenges I faced during production

After sleeping over my thought,I decided not to throw in the towel.

Now,when I looked back,I thank God I didnot quit.

We are still facing it but we have learnt how to use our challenges to grow ,develop and propel into the next level.

Truly,quitters never win and winners never quit.
Have a great day
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:36am On Sep 06, 2022
One of the things that can make farming difficult for you is acquiring farmland not accessible.

In 2012,we hauled about 10 tons of maize � from a farm down to the buyer.

The road from the farm leading to the main road was poor to the extent that the truck got damaged about 3 times.

The journey of a normal 15mins turned to 2 hours.

The cost we incurred due to poor accesibility was even close to the amount we were to sell the maize.

Like I always say,distance should not be the decision on where to acquire your farmland.

Afterall,what you eat this morning or what you will consume this evening is likely to be from the North especially if you are based in southern or eastern part of the country.

Farm accesibility is everything

Is it accessible?

Can you take your car/truck to the farm with no issues?

Can you transport your produce from the farm easily down to the buyer with no issues?

Fortunately,for those who are yet to make decision on acquiring farmland,our farm estates in ogbomoso, Ilorin,apomu, ijebu-igbo are the right plug for you to acquire your farm; it's very accessible

So in your decision on acquiring farmland,make accessibility one of your major decision process
You can acquire your farmland on any of our farm estates in ogbomoso,ilorin, ijebu-igbo,apomu
Just a DM away

Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 12:21pm On Sep 06, 2022
Doagric itpays
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 6:18am On Sep 07, 2022
One secret new entrant doesn't know about plantain farm business

Early preparation is very important for cultivation of plantain especially in the rainforest area.
It will save you thee cost of production in terms of digging water source and you can harvest the same year of planting
Re: My Experience: 11 Years On Nairaland Setting Up &Talking Agribiz (With Pictures) by Lesgupnigeria(m): 2:32pm On Sep 07, 2022
#doagric

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (26) (Reply)

Different Types Of People You Will Meet At The Atm (meme Collections) / Billionaire Banker David Rockefeller Dies Aged 101 / 5 Money Decisions To Make In Your 20's So You Can Chill In Your 30's

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.