Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,544 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law (30998 Views)

Sanwo-Olu To Lagosians: Respect Rule Of Law For Safety Of Your Lives, Properties / 2023 Election: I Will Respect Rule Of Law If Elected – Peter Obi / Coronavirus: Atiku Asks FG To Pay N10,000 To Each Household, As He Donates N50M (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Xisnin(m): 4:33pm On Dec 11, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
UK should shut up and mind their own business!!! their own PM doesnt follow the rule of law...

but if in doubt, anyone should go to Buckingham palace gates and start saying that the queen should be overthrown and see how fast you will end up in jail too.
It is obvious that you have never left your village.

3 Likes

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by jaxxy(m): 4:36pm On Dec 11, 2019
CaptainMeks:

Nonsense! They are also guilty of not following their own laws sometimes. We do not intrude in their affairs so they should back off from ours

It’s very sad how u look for acts of irresponsibility and even mistakes to justify ur intentional acts of gross irresponsiblity.

The difference btwn u and the uk is when they are called out to objectively face their sins not looking for other people’s sins to justify their sins. Have sm sense of personal responsibility. Stop copying every bad example from Pdp and mistake or evil doers u see out there and justifying it.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by yusluvad(m): 4:37pm On Dec 11, 2019
Tell dem old men ooo...
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by CaptainMeks: 4:39pm On Dec 11, 2019
jaxxy:

It’s very sad how u look for acts of irresponsibility and even mistakes to justify ur intentional acts of gross irresponsiblity.

The difference btwn u and the uk is when they are called out to objectively face their sins not looking for other people’s sins to justify their sins. Have sm sense of personal responsibility. Stop copying every bad example from Pdp and mistake or evil doers u see out there and justifying it.

Nonsense. The Uk should go and face Boris Johnson who only just today addressed their media and the entire nation by extension and told them to FVCK OFF (In those exact words)

That is the prime minister addressing his own people to Fvck off.

Buhari has never uttered any response to anyone despite all the insults on him

Stop being a slave to UK who do same but you praise them and kiss their arse simply because they are white.

They should go and deal with their PM who insulted their own media and the people of UK.

2 Likes

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by kenny160: 4:43pm On Dec 11, 2019
Unfortunately buhari is deaf. How will he hear now?
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by adonainana: 4:44pm On Dec 11, 2019
Barzinime:
Calling for reforms will be tolerated, but calling for Revolution?
Revolution is revolution and will lead to blood shed at a point be it monarchy or democracy and any strong leader will deal ruthlessly with such.
Go and try it in China or Russia and see if Sowore wont go missing.
Same UK that invaded Iraq based on cooked up lies are now forming advocate cos i know they arent benefiting from the present govt through our leaders siphoning money to boost their economy and all of you here thinks they care about the rule of law.
The same way they wanted to use Gulen in Turkey but Erdogan was lucky and dealt with collaborators ruthlessly.

Your response is very shallow minded and neglects common thinking. So Sowore called for revolution and you know all he has ever had is Sahara Reporters and his press conferences.

All of a sudden you gulliblly believe he will overthrow the government through his acts.
What a shame

What of Dasuki, El Zakkayri, onnoghen, etc

Those one too called for revolution abi,

I am telling you this government does not respect the rule of law, and i have many examples i said above, and you are saying Uk did this did that

Such as shame

What a shame

4 Likes

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by jaxxy(m): 4:45pm On Dec 11, 2019
CaptainMeks:

Nonsense. The Uk should go and face Boris Johnson who only just today addressed their media and the entire nation by extension and told them to FVCK OFF (In those exact words)

That is the prime minister addressing his own people to Fvck off.

Buhari has never uttered any response to anyone despite all the insults on him

Stop being a slave to UK who do same but you praise them and kiss their arse simply because they are white.

They should go and deal with their PM who insulted their own media and the people of UK.

U are still looking for a reason to do bad things. Did the uk disobey court orders or hold people in detention for 140 days without going to court.

This is criminal anywhere in democracy.

4 Likes

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Electronzeez(m): 4:58pm On Dec 11, 2019
olutop:

So it was Theresa May that officiated our wedding shey, try and take away hatred from your heart or else you will never be at peace with anyone....Something of 1914 that all of them in that era are already underground, all is well.

Boris Johnson now
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by bizhop01: 5:01pm On Dec 11, 2019
Devil rule nigeria
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by CreekCommando: 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2019
Vanhooijdonk:

Major General Mohammed Buhari deceived Nigerians he was a reformed democrat. Majority of voters including the BMC crew were not born during his tyrannical reign in the 80's. A leopard does not change his spots.
They say SOUTH EAST don't understand Nigeria politics but only them saw the calamity we are in today.Only them knew this Buhari is a bad market. The worst is that he's borrowing money uncontrollably even when the World Bank is warning of imminent recession in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by CreekCommando: 5:12pm On Dec 11, 2019
The UK is a useless country. They hypocritically manipulate Nigeria to their own advantage. Nothing good comes from the UK and their citizens, only ''Win-Lose Relationship.''
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by jozee8: 5:13pm On Dec 11, 2019
ABCthingx:
A clown was just telling me that buhari is good, seriously what did he do to their head?
My brother the thing just tire me
I was in Kano state some weeks back and one guy I was buying something from was telling me that if Buhari should finish the second tenure, he must go for the third
I was like shocked
What I just did in order to avoid stories that touch was ' if that is how God wants it '
And he was like you don't like Buhari that much and I said who am I to question God's will grin
Wisdom is profitable to direct my people!

3 Likes

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Staro: 5:15pm On Dec 11, 2019
Aw
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 11, 2019
Vanhooijdonk:
Everyone both locally and internationally is speaking out against the tyrant. Even the BMC crew will soon turn against him

30k BMC members turn against him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by CaptainMeks: 5:17pm On Dec 11, 2019
jaxxy:

U are still looking for a reason to do bad things. Did the uk disobey court orders or hold people in detention for 140 days without going to court.

This is criminal anywhere in democracy.

The UK have done worse and you are deliberately looking for a reason not to think outside your mental slavery to them. That is disgusting for anyone with a brain anywhere
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Nobody: 5:19pm On Dec 11, 2019
leke12:
okk! Let's simplify this case, Mr A said he is going to rob Mr B. Mr B went to the police that Mr A said he is going to rob him. The police arrested Mr A and questioned him and he admitted.

What can the police do?
Mr. A can only be advised and be ask to sign undertaking.
Police can keep watch on Mr. A

what the police can not do:
Mr. A cant be detained indefinitely by the police.

Mr. A cant be charge to court cause he never
committed the act

And if MR. A is charged to court, he will be acquitted or ask to pay fine for psychological trauma.

pls this is democracy, this not about sowore or the federal govt we just have to follow rule of law or settle for chaos. My 2cent!

Who would bring the chaos??
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Nobody: 5:20pm On Dec 11, 2019
fk001:
Nigeria is a sovereign state they have no right to caution us over anything.

Dear wailers, I voted for General Buhari, not PMB. If you like to call him Saddam Hussain is your own cup of tea we still love him.

God bless General Muhammadu Buhari.

Paid datfs.

Una cups go still full
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by OnyesomJ(m): 5:21pm On Dec 11, 2019
The worst thing is that we the Masses can’t do anything about what’s going on in the country.
We act as if we don’t care ,we voted him in and we’ve the right to protest Concerning what happening in the System
Such thing can’t happen outside...
This is Democracy for crying out loud!!!
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Sholaco: 5:29pm On Dec 11, 2019
Hmmm
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Akiika: 5:30pm On Dec 11, 2019
It's so annoying when you guys bring up...UK said this,.....US said that....why would you guys not free your mind from inferiority complex after almost 60 years of independence. There are terrible things happening in UK and US and they don't give a rat about your opinion. Sowore was granted bail, released and re-arrested. No law was broken!

1 Like

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by jaxxy(m): 5:35pm On Dec 11, 2019
CaptainMeks:

The UK have done worse and you are deliberately looking for a reason not to think outside your mental slavery to them. That is disgusting for anyone with a brain anywhere

Presently or when? U need to state the worst they have done. Who did they illegally detain people for 140day and more or when they disregard court orders.

1 Like

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by leke12(m): 5:36pm On Dec 11, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Who would bring the chaos??
everyone! imagine when the rules of land is not followed, what do you expect? they would have allowed him protest first before arresting him so they can have the evidence. Acting on emotions in security matters is unprofessional.
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Barzinime(m): 5:38pm On Dec 11, 2019
I don't have time for your likes cos I know you only talking out of hatred.
Even if shown proves right in front of your eyes, till won't reason logically cos you like weak leaders

adonainana:

Your response is very shallow minded and neglects common thinking. So Sowore called for revolution and you know all he has ever had is Sahara Reporters and his press conferences.

All of a sudden you gulliblly believe he will overthrow the government through his acts.
What a shame

I am telling you this government does not respect the rule of law, and i have many examples i said above, and you are saying Uk did this did that

Such as shame

What a shame
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Nobody: 5:41pm On Dec 11, 2019
leke12:
everyone! imagine when the rules of land is not followed, what do you expect? they would have allowed him protest first before arresting him so they can have the evidence. Acting on emotions in security matters is unprofessional.

Nigerians arent going to protest
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Nasdnazi(m): 5:42pm On Dec 11, 2019
Barzinime:
Calling for reforms will be tolerated, but calling for Revolution?
Revolution is revolution and will lead to blood shed at a point be it monarchy or democracy and any strong leader will deal ruthlessly with such.
Go and try it in China or Russia and see if Sowore wont go missing.
Same UK that invaded Iraq based on cooked up lies are now forming advocate cos i know they arent benefiting from the present govt through our leaders siphoning money to boost their economy and all of you here thinks they care about the rule of law.
The same way they wanted to use Gulen in Turkey but Erdogan was lucky and dealt with collaborators ruthlessly.

You are saying out of point bro.
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by CaptainMeks: 5:44pm On Dec 11, 2019
jaxxy:

Presently or when? U need to state the worst they have done. Who did they illegally detain people for 140day and more or when they disregard court orders.

Check out free social media in the UK

As you can see from the article even the UK does not enjoy freedom of speech and they can jail you for that under their 2003 Communications Act which is against making use of a public electronic communications network to send a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing nature"

Many have been jailed for as long or even longer than Sowore for social media irresponsibility in the UK

Is it right to jail someone for being offensive on Facebook or Twitter?

Jake Newsome was jailed last week for posting offensive comments online. His is the latest in a string of cases that have led to prison terms, raising concern that free speech may be under threat from over-zealous prosecutors

What follows is offensive. The facts are unattractive and there is no hero in this story. On 30 April, two days after teacher Ann Maguire was stabbed to death by a pupil in Leeds, Jake Newsome, a 21-year-old man who had himself attended a secondary school on the other side of the city, posted on his Facebook page: "Personally im glad that teacher got stabbed up, feel sorry for the kid… he shoulda pissed on her too".

"Thats not very nice" reads the first of 37 comments on his post. Others soon chipped in, addressing him by his nickname: "Greeny come on! You're better than that" wrote one. "Greeny seriously that's harsh" wrote another. "Greeny, not sure you should be saying this stuff on facebook man – people get in trouble for this kind of stuff".

A few days later, after his post had been shared more than 2,000 times, West Yorkshire police arrested and charged Newsome under the 2003 Communications Act with having sent "by means of a public electronic communications network a message or other matter that is grossly offensive or of an indecent, obscene or menacing nature". Last week Newsome was jailed for six weeks, after pleading guilty, with the judge quoting his post back to him and saying: "I can think of little that could be more upsetting or offensive."

Newsome was the second person jailed for social media offences related to Maguire's death. Last month Robert Riley, a 42-year-old former bus driver from Port Talbot in Wales, was sent to prison for eight weeks after his tweets about Maguire, in which he said he would have killed her colleagues as well, led to complaints and the unearthing of other offensive material on his Twitter feed, including racist insults. A teenager from Cardiff was also arrested and bailed.

Such events now follow a familiar pattern, with the torrent of online reaction to the highest-profile and most shocking crimes reliably including offensive elements. In October 2012 Matthew Woods, 19, was jailed for three months for posting sexually explicit comments about the abducted child April Jones, after being arrested for his own safety when an angry crowd gathered outside his house. Also in 2012 Azhar Ahmed was prosecuted for a post made two days after six British soldiers were killed in Afghanistan, in which he wrote that "all soldiers should die and go to hell", and biology student Liam Stacey was jailed for two months for racist tweets sent after footballer Fabrice Muamba suffered a heart attack – a sentence criticised by European human rights commissioner Thomas Hammarberg.

Last year more than 10 arrests were made in the aftermath of the murder in south-east London of soldier Lee Rigby, and one man, Benjamin Flatters, was jailed for posting anti-Muslim material.

Caroline Criado-Perez
Writer and campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez faced a campaign of harassment and violent threats on Twitter, for which two people were jailed
That the levels of insult and quantity of hate speech found on social media offends many people is well known. There has been widespread outrage about the abuse by online trolls of a handful of public figures, the swimmer Rebecca Adlington and diver Tom Daley among them. In January Isabella Sorley was jailed for 12 weeks, and John Nimmo for eight, for their part in a Twitter campaign of harassment against the feminist campaigner Caroline Criado-Perez, who led efforts to get a female historical figure on a British banknote. Criado-Perez described the experience of receiving repeated violent threats as "terrifying".

The cases of Newsome and Riley are different. They did not target or menace individuals, and lawyers and human rights campaigners have this week raised concerns about their being jailed for causing offence.

Thomas Hughes, executive director of free speech organisation Article 19, said the charity is "extremely concerned by the number of arrests and prosecutions for comments made online in the UK. Nobody should go to prison simply for causing offence. This is not only our view but a violation of international legal standards that protect speech that shocks, offends or disturbs." Jo Glanville, director of the writers' network English Pen, said of Riley: "He hasn't incited violence, there's nothing around public order, so it's purely for being tasteless. I think we're seeing something new here. It's a chill on freedom of expression. Causing some distress to members of the public shouldn't be enough to get you a custodial sentence."

Lawyer and legal blogger Lyndon Harris described Newsome's case as "a knee jerk reaction by the CPS" and told the Guardian the law is "failing miserably. At what point does unpleasant become criminal? You're just locking people up for saying nasty things. If someone said that to you in the pub and you went to the police, they'd tell you to go away."

Former director of public prosecutions Keir Starmer
Keir Starmer, the UK's former director of public prosecutions, believes that 'too many prosecutions for these kinds of offences can have the effect of chilling free speech'.
Former director of public prosecutions Keir Starmer, who issued new guidelines for social media cases exactly one year ago that stressed the high threshold for prosecutions, said "there needs to be a debate, the debate needs to take place in parliament and it needs to take place sooner rather than later".

He believes his guidelines have done "a good job in difficult circumstances", but politicians now need to step in.

"There always used to be a protected space, so you could say things in private you could not say in public. With social media there is no protected space, and that's what there needs to be a debate about. The notions around place and reaction just don't work with social media. You could have a situation where two people in their living room make remarks to each other for which they would never be arrested, but if they make these remarks by email, they could be, as the legislation covers any public electronic communication system."

The law most often used in such cases, he points out, is an updated version of one from the 1930s that was designed to protect people working in telephone exchanges from obscene phone calls: "Eighty years on, it just doesn't work. This hasn't been seen as a priority in a time of austerity, but change is overdue. I've always thought that too many prosecutions for these kinds of offences can have the effect of chilling free speech."

But if free speech is threatened, where are its defenders? When asked to comment on last week's sentence, Index on Censorship chief executive Jodie Ginsberg said the CPS had ignored its own guidelines, which was "highly damaging for free expression in this country". But beyond a tight circle of specialists, reaction to the jailing of two men for posts made after Maguire's murder has been muted, which is perhaps more surprising in light of Facebook's decision to reject complaints about Newsome's post and leave it online, on grounds that it doesn't violate the company's community standards. In other words, a post regarded by the British state as so far beyond the pale that its author has gone to prison is still allowed on Facebook. Facebook's director of public policy in Europe, Richard Allan, who is also a Lib Dem member of the House of Lords, declined to comment, though a spokesperson stressed that Facebook is making efforts to educate users about the possible consequences of social media use.

Until the trial of Peter Nunn, accused in relation to tweets sent to the Labour MP Stella Creasy, the most celebrated social media case in this country is likely to remain that of accountant Paul Chambers. In 2012 Chambers was cleared on appeal on the grounds that a tweet in which he said he would blow up an airport, after being stranded en route to a date, was a joke and not a menace.

Paul Chambers Twitter joke trial, High Court, London, Britain - 27 Jun 2012
Paul Chambers (middle) found support from comedians Al Murray (left), Stephen Fry and others after he was convicted over a joke he made on Twitter. He was later cleared on appeal.
Chambers' supporters included comedians Al Murray, Stephen Fry and Graham Linehan, and a benefit gig was held to fund his expenses. But the notion of free speech as a right to be defended online has been overshadowed by cases of misogynist threats and abuse.

"Why hasn't there been more of an outcry about recent cases?" says David Allen Green of Preiskel & Co, who was Chambers' solicitor. "The novelty of Twitter has worn off. Would you really want to argue in favour of someone making unpleasant comments about someone who has just died? These cases are less attractive, though some would say that's when you need free-expression protections even more."

Glanville agrees. "It's often cases that don't seem to have particular merit in terms of artistic value, or promoting the public good, that are the landmarks. I'm thinking of the obscenity trials in the 1970s – the Oz trial, the Linda Lovelace memoirs. Nobody would say these works had literary merit, but those cases were very important for the greater protection of freedom of speech and our culture as a whole. It's very important these cases are challenged. I do think we are seeing a chill on freedom of expression that ranges right across from the press to the foul-mouthed blogger."

None of those who have served prison sentences for offences committed on social media wanted to talk to the Guardian. They are nobody's heroes and know as much, though Jake Newsome's defiant Facebook post a week after he was told that he could face jail – "I will always say what the Bleep I want" – does show in its ragged way that he believed constraints on speech were at issue.

Guilty pleas have meant there have been almost no attempts to defend such behaviour in court, and very little legal argument about just what "grossly offensive" means. Instead, lawyers have spoken at sentencing hearings in mitigation, and focused on defendants' immaturity, weak grasp of social media, or the influence of alcohol.

"There is a fear of social media and of how dangerous it might or might not be," says Glanville. "It is something I think the police and courts haven't yet worked out how to deal with in a common-sense way, and in their attempt to deal with what is still a very new area, I think they're over-reacting."

Whether those convicted of these offences or the other people most closely affected by them agree with her, it's hard to say.

1 Like

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Barzinime(m): 5:45pm On Dec 11, 2019
UK that respects the rule of law, someone from a underdeveloped country does something during the time of war gets charged with War Crime, Tony Blair invaded Iraq on lies & false intelligence thereby Killing alot of Iraqis walks around free and not even charged.
Do you know how they quenched the case when they charged an intelligence officer when she wanted to rat on the lies they feed the public.
You better wake up from your slumber.
Rule of law my ass
I don't have your time again
adonainana:

What a shame

Such as shame

What a shame

1 Like

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by Barzinime(m): 5:50pm On Dec 11, 2019
Nasdnazi:

You are saying out of point bro.
you can't comprehend so I will pass
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by ghettokid1(m): 5:56pm On Dec 11, 2019
Psoul:

Has this BBQ guy's account in Nairaland bn suspended? I am wondering why he has suddenly gone so cold. I no longer see his comment aslicking his god Major General M Buhari.
He/she still dey, but he/she is too ashamed to come out and speak
Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by tevinsolt: 6:06pm On Dec 11, 2019
fk001:
Nigeria is a sovereign state they have no right to caution us over anything.

Dear wailers, I voted for General Buhari, not PMB. If you like to call him Saddam Hussain is your own cup of tea we still love him.

God bless General Muhammadu Buhari.

You've shared your worthless opinion now move along, nothing short of what to expect from a mentally ill individual with a confused upbringing that tightly clings to an external source of "father figure" to compensate for his tumultuous life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by leke12(m): 6:13pm On Dec 11, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Nigerians arent going to protest
they are making the guy more popular, and he needs it for his presidential ambition. No matter what he will be released one day, govt would have paint the guy black before the arrest. Now people have started to see him as a freedom fighter and face of democracy.

1 Like

Re: Sowore’s Detention: UK Government Asks FG To Respect Rule Of Law by globalresource: 6:27pm On Dec 11, 2019
Major General Buhari wont listen. He has ear problems

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yoruba Nation To Present Case At 76th UN General Assembly / How I Handle Betrayers – Tinubu / Kayode Ogundamisi Responds To Attacks Over Leaked Audio From Sen Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.