Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos (60783 Views)

Shocking: Lagos Landlord Increased Rent From 450k To 550k, Claims Inflation / My Landlord Increased Rent At This Period / Caretaker Sues Tenant For Disclosing Her Rent To Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Flier: 11:47am On Dec 13, 2019
blackboy:
They dont want her in the house or they found out she earns mega pay or trying to bargain.
The babe should show us pix of the N1m house.
The rent increase is ridiculous
They don’t want her in the house
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Sanchez01: 11:50am On Dec 13, 2019
I'm suspecting the apartment to be a 3-bedroom. Either way, a three bedroom of 1m in Bariga can't fly nau. The area is largely unsafe and has one of the highest concentration of thugs and cultists in Lagos.

That amount should be the rent of some areas in Surulere and not Bariga.

4 Likes

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by m140(m): 11:57am On Dec 13, 2019
shiwex:

Nothing is illegal, you own the property, you do what you like with it. If you are not happy, bail out or go build your own.
Na hypertension they kill those kind landlords last. Any landlord wey try that kind thing with me, I go show am ooo
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by lasheun: 11:59am On Dec 13, 2019
Wait my sister, FG rail construction will soon be ready by next month.
250k will give you a better apartment in Ibandan.
So what the crying about.

1 Like

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Alawode01(m): 12:00pm On Dec 13, 2019
I hope is not under must to living there.

2 Likes

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Acidosis(m): 12:02pm On Dec 13, 2019
Sanchez01:

Acidosis thinks otherwise. He believes you should stay, fake it till you make rather than take whatever little money you have and invest it in your personal property.

Do you know the value of the house? When a landlord tells you to pay N1m annual rent, it means the value of the house is worth over N50m.

I believe it s easier to pay N1m annually and invest the remainder (49m) for more and better returns.

Of course, it is cheaper to build on a 250k plot of land in the creeks of Ikorodu and raise a home with 1.5m than spend almost the same amount in a well structured area in Lagos.

If the OP is willing to relocate to the hinterlands of Ikorodu, then it is "penny-wise" to build.

My argument has always been simple: RENT versus BUILD in the SAME LOCATION. Don't compare RENT in a serene well structured area with the creeks. Let's compare same location and see which is cheaper on the short and long run.

When someone tells you they pay rent of N4m in Marina, don't curse them. That amount can't acquire ordinary 4 square metre virgin land in Marina. You won't even get ordinary government approval with that amount.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by msmon(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2019
Acidosis:

My argument has always been simple: RENT versus BUILD in the SAME LOCATION.

You're making a lot of sense, pls expantiate on this part.
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Irore: 12:09pm On Dec 13, 2019
Ogbetaonline:
A Nigerian woman identified as Nneka with the Twitter handle,‏ @SheLovesArtemis has cried out after she received a notice from her landlord on the increase of her rent from N550,000 to N1 million in Bariga area of Lagos state.

The letter sent to her by Chukwunonso Ikenna Chambers titled, “NOTICE OF UPWARD REVIEW OF YOUR RENT” states that her landlord to the apartment she lives on Bariga Lagos wishes to notify her that her annual rent has been reviewed upwards to N1,000,000 per annum.

“You are required to notify us in writing not later than 7 days from your receipt of this letter of your willingness to continue with the tenancy at the expiration of your current term of the rate at the new reviewed rent.

Note that we shall regard it as a termination of your tenancy if you do not express your affirmation of willingness to continue at the rate of the reviewed rent when your tenancy expires by first quarter of next year” it read in part.

She took to her social media page to share the notice letter she received.

"This came today

How can my Landlord increase my rent from N550,000 to N1,000,000? In BARIGA �"

See copy of the letter below:

https://twitter.com/SheLovesArtemis/status/1205096772651098113
She thought being an Igbo man's house as she is also Igbo,the landlord will be reasonable and considerate but.....
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by skyfather09(m): 12:11pm On Dec 13, 2019
ruththeprincess:
1MILLION shocked but thats too much increase sad
that's the amount I pay every year, so no biggie!

1 Like

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Acidosis(m): 12:15pm On Dec 13, 2019
msmon:

You're making a lot of sense, pls expantiate on this part.

Annual rent VERSUS value of property is an ideal way to calculate and determine whether you're getting good value or not.

If the sales value of a 2 bedroom apartment in Bariga is N35m, and I'm told to pay 500k annually, of course, that's good value. If I pay 500-600k per annum for 10 years, that's just 5-6m (14% of sales value).

While the landlord is still struggling to make 20% of his real estate expense after 10 years, I would have done greater things (with 35m at hand as of the period I moved in).

1 Like

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by msmon(m): 12:17pm On Dec 13, 2019
Acidosis:

Annual rent VERSUS value of property is an ideal way to calculate and determine whether you're getting good value or not.

If the sales value of a 2 bedroom apartment in Bariga is N35m, and I'm told to pay 500k annually, of course, that's good value. If I pay 500-600k per annum for 10 years, that's just 5-6m (14% of sales value).

While the landlord is still struggling to make 20% of his real estate investment after 10 years, I would have done greater things (with same 35m as of the period I moved in).

Are u an estate valuer?
You make a lot of sense here...
Can I have your contact please

4 Likes

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Acidosis(m): 12:19pm On Dec 13, 2019
msmon:

Are u an estate valuer?
You make a lot of sense here...
Can I have your contact please

I'm not a valuer sir. I'm only sharing some insights I learned on the forum.

You can send a pm
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Yxxx: 12:20pm On Dec 13, 2019
shiwex:

Nothing is illegal, you own the property, you do what you like with it. If you are not happy, bail out or go build your own.

Na dem
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by mechanics(m): 12:25pm On Dec 13, 2019
She should look for another apartment.
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by RZArecta2(m): 12:25pm On Dec 13, 2019
kponkedenge:
That's a subtle way of telling her to pack out. But I've always been discussing this with my friend, I can't pay more than 500k rent to any landlord in Lagos.....even if I'm earning millions monthly. Is better to stay in a room and parlour self-contain or two bedroom flat.... While working on building yours, than just cross leg in a rented apartment and paying exorbitant fees for a temporary luxury that can come to end at any time.
she stays in a two bedroom flat and property is at Bariga area of Lagos hence her surprise, I’d rather take that 1m to Maryland or Ajah (and get some change even) than pay such in a semi ghetto

2 Likes

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Momentum81: 12:25pm On Dec 13, 2019
Maybe the landlord has a thing for the babe

1 Like

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by lekspot01(m): 12:26pm On Dec 13, 2019
Why complaining? Are those ones paying the rent before tired of paying it? If your clients are not enough, take more, last last na your hole go suffer more and more and the dude no dey read.....1m is nothing compare to what sugar daddy paying you. [color=#550000][/color]

1 Like

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by 9japrof(m): 12:27pm On Dec 13, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:

I live in Abuja and houses here are expensive!

BTW I Bariga apartments are relatively affordable! Anyway, until we see pictures of the apartments and the area in Bariga... But I think her landlord doesn't want her anymore

As you dey abuja, you no go use your connect knack me one connect for this abuja make life take sweet
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Favour988: 12:29pm On Dec 13, 2019
spillia:
This is too much, the woman should drag the landlord to court.
Why? When it's not a must you live in his house. He has d right to do what he like wt his house while you also have d right to leave if you are not o.k wt his decision.
I wonder why someone will make this a social media matter if not just to attention.
She has enough time to go look for another property if only she can stop wasting it on social media.
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by terrafella(m): 12:29pm On Dec 13, 2019
ChiefJehu:
[s][/s]

And he is advertising his design work here. I wonder how any reasonable igbo man would give him a job after his comment fueled by tribalism/hatred. I pray him divine wisdom.

2 Likes

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by lastempero: 12:30pm On Dec 13, 2019
If you have the money,just pay it dear.
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by terrafella(m): 12:31pm On Dec 13, 2019
solmusdesigns:
cool

as if no be boys go pay am before for her mscheew

she's free to go back to her Ipobian village where rent is cheap all thanks to their Prime Minister Lamidi Kanu

And he is advertising his design work here. I wonder how any reasonable igbo man would give him a job after his comment fueled by tribalism/hatred. I pray him divine wisdom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by franzis(m): 12:32pm On Dec 13, 2019
blackboy:
They dont want her in the house or they found out she earns mega pay or trying to bargain.
The babe should show us pix of the N1m house.
The rent increase is ridiculous
she recently go Dubai come back...
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Kennydoc(m): 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2019
PDJT:

-Tonye, is that you? How much do you pay where you currently live?

-If it’s yearly, that’s really cheap at 550k.

550k per annum is not cheap as rent in Nigeria biko. That is nearly 50k per month in a nation that minimum wage is just being pushed up to 30k per month. Many graduates don't even earn 50k salary per month. And we're even talking about Bariga, not Ikoyi, VI, Maitama or Asokoro.

2 Likes

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by anochuko01(m): 12:33pm On Dec 13, 2019
shiwex:

you get sense so? imagine dangote and every other product/service provider thinks and acts like this. surely there's wickedness in your soul..... sad
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by gwinaB(m): 12:34pm On Dec 13, 2019
kponkedenge:
That's a subtle way of telling her to pack out. But I've always been discussing this with my friend, I can't pay more than 500k rent to any landlord in Lagos.....even if I'm earning millions monthly. Is better to stay in a room and parlour self-contain or two bedroom flat.... While working on building yours, than just cross leg in a rented apartment and paying exorbitant fees for a temporary luxury that can come to end at any time.

Wait until you start earning millions
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Lorenzop: 12:38pm On Dec 13, 2019
kponkedenge:

500k?....you try, i will not pay more than 250k rent again...the time i did that rubbish is over...i sat and calculated the number of cheap plots i could have bought with those exorbitant rent....smh

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by Pastev1(m): 12:39pm On Dec 13, 2019
My dear tenant n Lawyers that wrote the letter, does it means the apartment doesn't have a size? is it a duplex, 3bd flat, self-content, face me - i face u
Pls be specific let me know where i can be of help, though i still have a question...
Re: Lady's Landlord Increased Her Rent From N550,000 To N1million In Lagos by cmecproblem(m): 12:40pm On Dec 13, 2019
Maybe she bought a new car..."oooh that one has money o," says the landlady.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How I Pay My Rent / Future Architectural Designs (check it out what do u think nairalander ) / How Far Can 3million Naira Go In Building A 4 Bedroom Flat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.