Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? (14809 Views)

Daddy Freeze Replies Pastor Adeboye’s Response To His Teachings On Tithing / Pastor E.A Adeboye Reacts To Daddy Freeze's Comments On Tithes (VIDEO) / Church Members Walk Out On Pastor Adefarasin Over Tithing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 15, 2019
If earning 1m, I can't give any human 100k o. Instead I'll share it and give to motherless homes.

I need a Facebook account for sale pls.. Got 2k only

1 Like

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Kwamecron(m): 8:42am On Dec 15, 2019
Na who I go ask now?

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by dermmy(m): 8:43am On Dec 15, 2019
tonysunkan:
Tithe is not tax. You don't question how it is used.

Pay your tithe.

Lmao.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Okwyjesus(m): 8:49am On Dec 15, 2019
kimco:
If tithing was used to make the populace's life much better, rather than the churches only. If the tithe is used to empower the people instead of to financially constrict them promising them a better future while the church gets fat today...yeah why not.

It is only a wicked man who is unwilling to give back to the church after they have helped him gain his feet. But when the church hasn't done jack for anyone yet demand that much...terribly unfair. Dont quote biblical jibi jaba to me...you know deep down Im right.

Who made you a judge over God's people
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Lovelife433(m): 8:49am On Dec 15, 2019
let us give.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by ekestic1976(f): 8:51am On Dec 15, 2019
Pauldollars:
One of your duties as a Christian is to make sure you always give your tithes and God will bless you abundantly (Read Malachi 3:10) How the money is being used by the Church should not be your concern. BTW it is good that you give your tithes in the church that spiritually nourishes you...not just any random Penterascal church which have no business propagating the gospel of Jesus Christ.

It isn't my concern even if I sowed on the "roadside," "amongst the thorns," or "on the Rocky place"? When you pay your tithe, you follow through how it's spent. Otherwise, some folks would be buying groundnuts with your money in exchange for blessings they have no power to give.

3 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by gratiaeo(m): 8:55am On Dec 15, 2019
If you are a Christian and you are paying tithe what is different between you and Judaism

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Ishilove: 8:55am On Dec 15, 2019
There's nothing anybody in this life can tell that will make me stop tithing. All these carnal arguments swayed me, until I got a divine revelation that reset my brain and now I NEVER miss a payment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by loswhite(m): 8:55am On Dec 15, 2019
jesusjnr:
IS TITHING NOW A BAD THING BECAUSE MEN ABUSE TITHES?

No! Because tithing wasn't a bad thing to Jesus.

For Jesus said:

Matthew 23:23 (KJV)

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

So this saying clearly shows that Jesus the Master Himself wasn't against tithing, but what He was against was the tendency of the Pharisees to omit or sideline the majors of the Law such as judgment, mercy, and faith because of a minor matter as tithing.

So that is exactly where I also stand on the tithing matter, that it never get emphasized to the point where it begins to take preeminence over the most important things, because that would inevitably lead to abuse of tithes, amongst other corrupt practices, which the majors are meant to prevent.

Therefore I'm not against tithing as some here may have wrongly assumed, because as a matter of fact I believe that tithing works, and I have some personal experiences while I still tithed and preached tithing to back that claim.

Tithing somehow seemed to be the first revelation from my own study of the Bible, after I first repented and began my walk with God. I was so convinced about it to the extent that I couldn't keep it to myself but had to preach it to someone then, and that person was my mum. And my preaching was appeared convincing enough for her to give it a shot. And it worked for her as afterwards she kept telling me that ever since she started tithing, that she noticed that her purse never dried up. So the idea of tithing really proved itself to her that up til date about twenty years later, she doesn't still joke with her tithes.

Another experience associated with tithes, was one testimony I already shared here when I still used to tithe many years ago, but at the time it was sixty percent I gave as tithes not ten. My tithe was at the side pocket of my traveling bag, when some armed robbers invaded the room I was with five other guys. At the end, everyone in the room was robbed of some money and valuables, except for me for nothing belonging to me was lost or taken from me, even though the side pocket I kept the tithes was the most exposed thing in the wardrobe that the robbers took most things from.

The full story can be gotten here:

https://www.nairaland.com/5478528/one-important-lesson-church-members

So I do really believe that tithing works, however I don't believe that tithing (ten percent) ought to be the standard of the church, which I believe ought to operate at the standard of the kingdom of God which is a hundred percent as was illustrated on this occasion:

Acts 4:32, 34-35 (KJV)

32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

Hence it could observed that giving in the church that Jesus built wasn't at the level of tithes (ten percent), but a hundred percent which is the standard of the kingdom of God. And this was why Jesus had taken His time to acknowledge that poor widow who gave her everything before His disciples, because that was the standard of the kingdom of God.

Mark 12:43-44 (KJV)

43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

So a hundred percent ought to be the standard of the church as it was in the beginning of the church when they had already given a hundred percent of themselves to God, so that meant everything they possessed already belonged to God, hence no one considering what he possessed as his own. But considering that the standard of the church has crashed and is now a far cry from what it used to be at the time when it was a hundred percent, does that now mean that those who are not able to give God a hundred percent, should not give Him anything?

That's where tithes (ten percent) comes in, at least that's better than giving God zero percent.

So that men abuse tithes, doesn't mean that we should altogether throw away the idea of tithing, because it is still very useful and plays an important role for God's work here on Earth. It has also shown itself to be very useful in provide for the poor and needy when not abused but well managed.

Therefore instead of doing away with tithing, i suggest we all put our hands on deck to ensure that church leaders and those in authority are held accountable for the tithes they receive, so that the mismanagement and abuse of tithes would be brought down to the bearest minimum if not completely eradicated, while we hope and pray for the day that God would give us the kind of church that would give him the hundred percent that He deserves, and also the kind of leaders that wouldn't abuse it but would use it to God's glory and to the benefit of everyone in the church as it was in those days.

NEITHER WAS THERE ANY AMONG THEM THAT LACKED: FOR AS MANY AS WERE POSSESSORS OF LANDS OR HOUSES SOLD THEM, AND BROUGHT THE PRICES OF THE THINGS THAT WERE SOLD,
AND LAID THEM DOWN AT THE APOSTLES' FEET: AND DISTRIBUTION WAS MADE UNTO EVERY MAN ACCORDING AS HE HAD NEED.
{Acts 4:34-35 (KJV) }

God bless.
Jesus was under the law, so speaking against tithing would have been blasphemy...This is no way means Jesus was in support of tithing. Tithing was a law and the law was meant for a purpose. It today's generation that law is not required

3 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by sassiemyk: 8:57am On Dec 15, 2019
Tithing is sinful. Christians are not to pay tithes. It negates the very death of Christ.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Homers123(m): 9:00am On Dec 15, 2019
tonysunkan:
Tithe is not tax. You don't question how it is used.

Pay your tithe.
undiluted hogwash.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Larryallovernig: 9:00am On Dec 15, 2019
Deuteronomy 14:22-29 New International Version (NIV)

Tithes

22 Be sure to set aside a tenth of all that your fields produce each year. 

23 Eat the tithe of your grain, new wine and olive oil, and the firstborn of your herds and flocks in the presence of the Lord your God at the place he will choose as a dwelling for his Name, so that you may learn to revere the Lord your God always. 

24 But if that place is too distant and you have been blessed by the Lord your God and cannot carry your tithe (because the place where the Lord will choose to put his Name is so far away), 

25 then exchange your tithe for silver, and take the silver with you and go to the place the Lord your God will choose. 

26 Use the silver to buy whatever you like: cattle, sheep, wine or other fermented drink, or anything you wish. Then you and your household shall eat there in the presence of the Lord your God and rejoice. 

27 And do not neglect the Levites living in your towns, for they have no allotment or inheritance of their own.

28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 

29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

3 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by CaveAdullam: 9:02am On Dec 15, 2019
There is no relationship between Israelites law and the new covenant Christians.

Thanks.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by loswhite(m): 9:02am On Dec 15, 2019
Pauldollars:
One of your duties as a Christian is to make sure you always give your tithes and God will bless you abundantly (Read Malachi 3:10) How the money is being used by the Church should not be your concern. BTW it is good that you give your tithes in the church that spiritually nourishes you...not just any random Penterascal church which have no business propagating the gospel of Jesus Christ.
So why do you complain about buhari since it is not your business how they spend your taxes? Why don't you leave it to God to judge....clowns

9 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by akeensbussy(m): 9:04am On Dec 15, 2019
The Truth is majority of what the church practice today are not biblical. They are no where near the bible standard.

Konkojabele onikaluku nse ti e ni. Ati wipe Adorunmoto ni everybody.

Religion remain a Scam...
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by YungJo207(m): 9:05am On Dec 15, 2019
Reading and learning but I ask this...why is it that most Christian in Africa always pay tithe but find it hard to give?

Why is it that most Muslim don't tithe and find it easy to give?

Why do they say that Muslim are the richest people in the world but still yet they don't tithe?

Is there any where it is in the bible where God say pay you tithe cause I own that 10percent or it belongs to me?

Is there any law in the bible that instruct all Believers of God/Christ to pay tithe?

Does the likes of mark zukerberg, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett etc has ever come out or a church come out to say they tithe? ( Mind you all the people give freely even if it means stock market falling )

Lot of questions to ask am still not understanding.

3 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by MisterKings(m): 9:08am On Dec 15, 2019
M
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by ursamajor: 9:09am On Dec 15, 2019
K
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by MisterKings(m): 9:12am On Dec 15, 2019
This is enlightening

Meanwhile

I have been giving half of my salary to this pastor now see what happens

https://www.nairaland.com/5582379/been-giving-half-salary-pastor
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Kingzeez10: 9:18am On Dec 15, 2019
No single comment from the Muslim here but on Friday you guys masturbate on Islam thread, you counter their claim with bible, you call them unprintable names. I have reach a conclusion that you guys are the most intolerant people in the world. Bleep you all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by OkCornel(m): 9:19am On Dec 15, 2019
dermmy:

Gbam. OkCornel don change o. I remember that thread where we argued vehemently about tithing. It's like you've seen the truth. I'm happy o
Lol, I’ve never been against giving to promote God’s work or to help others.

What I’m against is spreading false doctrines to deceive people into giving, and giving with a selfish mindset of what to expect in return.

The thing is, the more one loves God and his neighbour, the more such person is inclined to give (money, skills, time etc) to help others, and promote the kingdom. Love for God/neighbour makes a person selfless. But love of money, makes one greedy/selfish and would easily subscribe to these ear-itching heretic doctrines.

2 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by OkCornel(m): 9:29am On Dec 15, 2019
jesusjnr:

As per the bolded, I wanted to know what you think of these commandments Jesus gave concerning giving.

Luke 12:33 (KJV)

33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

Matthew 19:21 (KJV)

21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

Thanks.

Hey bro, good morning. Been a while.

Quick question to ask, who were those instructions for specifically, everyone who followed Jesus?

Let’s also relate this with Matthew 23 v 23.

Me thinks if this instruction applied to all the followers of Jesus, perhaps the Roman centurion whom Jesus healed his son for example would have resigned from his position, sold all his possessions to follow Jesus.

Perhaps Zaccheus would have gone beyond just restitutions, he should have resigned from his lucrative tax collecting job, sold off all his possessions to follow Jesus.

Let’s look at those instructions closely and see if it’s for every believer to follow. Or for a certain set of people, and what were the circumstances that led Jesus into advising them to do so.

Jah bless.

1 Like

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by MisterKings(m): 9:30am On Dec 15, 2019
YungJo207:
Reading and learning but I ask this...why is it that most Christian in Africa always pay tithe but find it hard to give?

Why is it that most Muslim don't tithe and find it easy to give?

Why do they say that Muslim are the richest people in the world but still yet they don't tithe?

Is there any where it is in the bible where God say pay you tithe cause I own that 10percent or it belongs to me?

Is there any law in the bible that instruct all Believers of God/Christ to pay tithe?

Does the likes of mark zukerberg, Bill Gates, Warren Buffett etc has ever come out or a church come out to say they tithe? ( Mind you all the people give freely even if it means stock market falling )

Lot of questions to ask am still not understanding.

Good questions brother. I stopped paying my tithe a few months ago because I do not see the essence.

This tithe issue was meant to feed the then levites in the Bible because they did not work and all they did was serve God on behalf of the people.

Now how we follow through with this tithe issue so closely is what baffles me. This is something that belongs to the old testament. If we are considering old testament doctrines why do we skip sacrifices and burnt offerings and many other doctrines that follow.

Jesus never mentioned anything about tithe let's not deceive ourselves. That he said give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God is not enough to say he was referring to tithing. All he preached about was love.

So it is stupid to tell a brother in need that you do not have money to pay his medical bills but you have tithe to give to God. That is just plain hypocrisy.

Tithe is old testament and it is a cultural thing for the jews not for this day and age.

If anything bad is happening to anyone and they think it's as a result of not paying tithe, it's just their minds playing tricks on them.

Like you rightly said the likes of Bill Gates do not pay tithe, they give out of free will. These people have never said the source of their wealth and blessings is as a result of the tithe they pay or attendance to any religion.

I respect the devout Muslims. The true ones. I have eaten their Salah food many times when one time in my life I was broke and working as a security guard. I went with my plate and they did not ask me if I was Muslim as a matter of fact these people were agberos in the market then and they saw nothing wrong with giving us food.

Christians only speak and never act. Ask for help from a Christian and he will tell you stupid things like - God bless you, God is in control, I am rich, it shall be well, let us pray.

How does that solve my problem?

7 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by mu2sa2: 9:33am On Dec 15, 2019
Obaakran:
this tithing issue already becoming over floging issue
It will be so forever, because where money is that's where the action is.
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by ugwum007(m): 9:33am On Dec 15, 2019
I can recall some few years ago when AG was having serious issues. The issues was more intenised in Enugu State. My dad stopped paying tithe rather he switched his tithe to the local church in my village and some retired pastors. When I asked him why he did that, he said that his tithe and offering cannot be used in making and settling cases on and out of court rooms.

Sincerely, I am more comfortable sharing the title amongst almajiri children, beggars and etc.

3 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by OkCornel(m): 9:34am On Dec 15, 2019
gratiaeo:
If you are a Christian and you are paying tithe what is different between you and Judaism

Judaizers tithe Agro-produce (once a year) from the promised land as instructed by God in Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29

But you see that of Christianity eh, they practice monetary tithing, and I’ve been asking them to show me where in the scriptures God instructed Christians to practice monetary tithing. Just one example of gentile believer in the scripture that practiced tithing in the early church. Up till now, no response.

4 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by twilliamx(m): 9:37am On Dec 15, 2019
Am a real estate consultant! I have a house that am managing in gbagada, the house has been vacant for over 2months with no one to take it, but on Tuesday I went to the house and I said a prayer that if God helps me let the house before friday, I will pay 20% as my tithe to someone in need, my brothers and sisters I had 2 serious interest and one of them paid on friday after waiting for over 2 months, don't be decieved by what negative men say, you should fill your obligations to God and he will fulfills his, it doesn't concern you what the recipient of tithe does with it, that is between them God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by doggedfighter(f): 9:48am On Dec 15, 2019
Pauldollars:
Trash, trash, trash. Arrant nonsense

1 Like

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Ournolly: 9:48am On Dec 15, 2019
I don't believe in sharing my earnings and give one tenth to anyone. Giving must be from the heart not imposed by anyone.
I give but I don't PAY TITHE and I HAVE NEVER FOR ONCE FELT BAD ABOUT IT.
Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 15, 2019
twilliamx:
Am a real estate consultant! I have a house that am managing in gbagada, the house has been vacant for over 2months with no one to take it, but on Tuesday I went to the house and I said a prayer that if God helps me let the house before friday, I will pay 20% as my tithe to someone in need, my brothers and sisters I had 2 serious interest and one of them paid on friday after waiting for over 2 months, don't be decieved by what negative men say, you should fill your obligations to God and he will fulfills his, it doesn't concern you what the recipient of tithe does with it, that is between them God.
You will eventually let the house to someone if you keep searching, telling God you'll give him money in exchange is nonsense, promising God you'll help someone in need sounds good. That's what he wants you to do, not giving the money to a pastor who doesn't need it. I don't care, I was a worker in the church for 4 years, I go to church 6 times a week, I saw the evil the pastors do there and how they mismanage church funds. His wife doesn't even cook, I used to go to buy food for them from Kilimanjaro, sometimes they even trash the food without touching it. Very wasteful people!

5 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by Femsyn(m): 9:57am On Dec 15, 2019
I'm particularly concerned why the focus is so much on tithing. The unwarranted focus is why eyebrows are being raised. Mention it, but dont dwell on it, as it is not a prerequisite for heaven. Jesus said it Himself.

But you overflog it, thus leading to questions, afterall, you said if they tithe, there will be Mal. 3:10. What if they aren't interested? Let it go. But No! You must force it down their throats.

I'm an advocate of giving to the church, but not in the form of tithes.

3 Likes

Re: Is Tithing Now A Bad Thing Because Men Abuse Tithes? by clemzo101(m): 9:57am On Dec 15, 2019
OkCornel:

I only know of spirit led freewill giving (from a cheerful heart) not pegged at any particular percentage of one's earnings as the basis for giving under the new covenant.

2 Corinthians 9 v 7;
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Acts 4 v 34-35;
34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,
35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

That being said, I'm still awaiting
1) Scriptural examples of gentile believers that tithed in the new covenant
2) I'm awaiting where God changed the standard of tithing from agro-produce as clearly stated in Deuteronomy 14 v 22-29, into money the wolves in shepherd's clothing are currently soliciting for.
that's my point exactly. If you talk, they will say that you need holy spirit to understand. But Malachi 3:10 doesn't require holy spirit, they quite it verbatim

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Valentine Day's Message To Lovely Christian Friends / Meet 10 Wave-making Gospel Singers From Idoma Land / Christianity Vs. Satanism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.