Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? (4184 Views)

How Do We Say NEPA Don Bring Light With Correct English / Who Can Help Me In Translating This Pidgin English To Correct English? / Dash: What Is The Correct English Word For Giving One Money Without Taking Back? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by olamariamjonez(m): 10:10pm On Dec 19, 2019
Nigeria is one of the worst when it comes to english speaking. But, nowadays most of parents don't want their children to speak their native language.
I want to know the countries in Africa that are colonized by British, that speak correct British English.

2 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by dawnomike(m): 10:28pm On Dec 19, 2019
olamariamjonez:
Nigeria is one of the worst when it comes to english speaking. But, nowadays most of parents don't want their children to speak their native language.
I want to know the countries in Africa that are colonized by British, that speak correct British English.
None ooo! My brother in the Lord... Nigeria is even better. You need to hear that of liberians

15 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Birdeyeview: 10:49pm On Dec 19, 2019
i think nigerians speaks the best in english, then ghana afterwards.

24 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Temidayo9(m): 11:16pm On Dec 19, 2019
Ghana

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Boomboost(m): 11:37pm On Dec 19, 2019
Kenya jor... Their accent rhymes with British English. I think some South Africans do too.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by uboma(m): 1:14am On Dec 20, 2019
Boomboost:
Kenya jor... Their accent rhymes with British English. I think some South Africans do too.

I beg to disagree. Kenyans do not speak the British English as it should be.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by naijacentric(m): 2:49am On Dec 20, 2019
olamariamjonez:
nawa o are you dat jobless grin

5 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Venerable612(m): 4:48am On Dec 20, 2019
olamariamjonez:

What do you mean by correct British English?

None!

If there was any - we all won’t need to write Toefl and IELTS to get an admission to study abroad.

5 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by fk001(m): 4:54am On Dec 20, 2019
Boomboost:

South Africans that can't speak a full-blown sentence without mixing it with their primitive language

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Nobody: 5:58am On Dec 20, 2019
Zimbabwe, Somalia and Morocco.
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Nobody: 6:12am On Dec 20, 2019
We have our mother tonques,so no matter how we try we can never speak Queens English correctly except the ones born n breed in the UK
COMPLIMENT OF THE SEASON

10 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Nobody: 6:19am On Dec 20, 2019
Temidayo9:
Ghana
Ghana?
Becos you hear them form queen Elizabeth in their movies? They are among the worse speakers of English.
Mum is pronounced as #maaam#

14 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by femi4: 6:25am On Dec 20, 2019
olamariamjonez:
None.....you cannot separate a man from his mother tongue

The way an Indian man will speak English is different from Africans cos of mother tongue.

Even Americans have to create their own English cos they found challenges with British English and that give birth to American English

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by lereinter(m): 6:39am On Dec 20, 2019
dawnomike:
None ooo! My brother in the Lord... Nigeria is even better. You need to hear that of liberians

Liberia wasn't colonized by the British

3 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by lonelydora: 6:41am On Dec 20, 2019
olamariamjonez:

In Africa, Nigeria is the best in English

11 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Untainted007: 6:54am On Dec 20, 2019
So like that Bubu own too is British accent abi?

2 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by MZrapper(f): 6:55am On Dec 20, 2019
Birdeyeview:
i think nigerians speaks the best in english, then ghana afterwards.

Nigeria doesn't come before Ghana biko.

2 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by ednut1(m): 7:14am On Dec 20, 2019
Jobless youth what will this info do for u
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by GEOANDSONS: 7:17am On Dec 20, 2019
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 20, 2019
Nigeria .. but we've deviated nto the American version .
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Rilley(m): 7:33am On Dec 20, 2019
Ghana

3 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by LadySarah: 7:35am On Dec 20, 2019
MZrapper:

Really?
What is in this ghana English that makes it the best?
Doctor-Docter
Pastor-pasta
mum-mam.
We have heard their celebs speak and thats how they pronounce words.Is that how the british speak theres?

Do you know what is Olundi(Mothertongue) comes into play in how we speak?

Nobody's own is better as if we will use it to buy a bag of rice.MTCHEWW

4 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by nwamabo247(m): 7:46am On Dec 20, 2019
Non
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by MZrapper(f): 7:46am On Dec 20, 2019
LadySarah:

Really?
Doctor-Docter
Pastor-pasta
mum-mam.
We have heard their celebs speak and thats how they pronounce words.Is that how the british speak theres?

Why you so pained biko?

2 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Birdeyeview: 7:51am On Dec 20, 2019
MZrapper:

Really?!

1 Like

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by greenmonk: 7:52am On Dec 20, 2019
LadySarah:

Really?
Doctor-Docter
Pastor-pasta
mum-mam.

If the Scott and the Irish can't speak Queens English I wonder why a Nigerian should.
Nigeria was doing very well before the advent of automatic promotions and sorting in our schools.

2 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by ruggedtimi(m): 7:57am On Dec 20, 2019
Temidayo9:
Ghana
Lol ghana ke.. Nigeria And Zambia speak the best english
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by GEOANDSONS: 8:00am On Dec 20, 2019
angry
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by itsme01: 8:01am On Dec 20, 2019
olamariamjonez:

if you hear some brithish scotish, irish, welsh and even uneducated local english man speak english then you would understand that Nigerians are better in speaking english

6 Likes

Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by FreeSoworeNow: 8:10am On Dec 20, 2019
[s]
itsme01:

if you hear some brithish scotish, irish, welsh and even uneducated local english man speak english then you would understand that Nigerians are better in speaking english
[/s]
trash
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by Nobody: 8:25am On Dec 20, 2019
itsme01:

you think Nigerians speak good English we are just like India. You think your English is good cause you speak it and hear it by yourself, it like smelling your own Saint. You can never know how you smell unless someone tell you. I had a friend in Canada, when we speak he always laugh and tell us how our English sounds cause of our tongue. Mind you I am Igbo, and you know our English is one of the best in naija.
Re: Which Country In Africa Colonized By The British Speak Correct English? by crash12345: 8:31am On Dec 20, 2019
LadySarah:

Really?
Doctor-Docter
Pastor-pasta
mum-mam.

am a Ghanaian and that's how those words are pronounced in English by the British native speakers .Below is the phonetics spellings in the Merriam Webster Dictionary. The fact that there's an "O" or "or" doesn't mean we should pronounced the words in "or".There's a way of pronouncing words just as Ph and knife,known,psychology etc are pronounced. Ghanaians adopted our pronunciations.Look below the word for the right phonetic spelling and pronunciation not the raw spelling.

So even with Ghana, upon all these centuries of practicing English due to the English or British being with us for over 300 years and all our forefathers and current leaders trained and schooled in England, our native language sometimes get caught up with us with the pronouncing example instead of saying "dactar" we say "doctar" and instead of saying "accemedashen" we say "accommodeshen" buh we get majority of the pronouncing right though and our accent is raw buh we break and pause words just as the British so we don't speak faster like the American.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Young Lady Harassed By Group Of Boys After Getting Drunk (VIDEO) / See The Definition Of Marriage A Student Gave That Is Trending Online. / Unijos Have The Largest Hostel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.