Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) (49761 Views)

Sanlam Takes Full Ownership Of FBN Insurance In Nigeria / See What Wema Bank Did To Support Their Customers / How First Bank Did not pay us for designing their125th Anniversary Logo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by SocialJustice: 8:33am On Mar 04, 2020
Chikebrain:
I'd advise you go see and hear out what the legal team has to say to "fulfil all righteousness". If it's not as regards your payment, then you can leave the meeting. Seek out a lawyer who handles cases like this.
Using media as a tool to paint yourselves as not having money for legal battle yet paying for this advert on NL which isnt cheap doesn't help matter. Do the right thing, see their legal team.
Every day is a lesson. Subsequently, draft our a contract before you commence work and spell out all your terms and condition
I tire for the guy, seeing how he's going about it, he is inexperienced and naive but he will eventually learn. Na when money don dey finish people like this dey go meet lawyer and they will see all the mistakes they made.

3 Likes

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by Marleek(m): 8:44am On Mar 04, 2020
@OP, this your attitude won't help you. You're not in the best position to determine the process of getting paid by FBN. The woman said visit the legal department, you refused. You came here trying to gain sympathy. All your rants here are based on assumption if you don't know, because you don't know what the legal team has to say, you just assumed they will cheat you. The legal department will not tie you down(except there is something you're not telling us.)
Give them the benefit of the doubt. Visit the legal department, if then you realise its a ploy not to pay you then you can contact twitter influencers to help you out. Things go viral quickly on twitter. You didn't even have to place an ad on nairaland in the first place. Pay two or three influencers to help you, some might not even charge you if they feel pity for you.

6 Likes

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by lionshare: 8:46am On Mar 04, 2020
Twitter is the way to go....pay a couple influencers.

1 Like

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by ForbesHomesNG(m): 9:00am On Mar 04, 2020
Homextras:
First bank should quickly respond to these allegations...how much is even the contract sum here?

This really is almost an aberration. First Bank Should respond to this ASAP. It's a grave allegation against a big global brand like First Bank. Check Signature below and reach out to us.
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by OurBestWriter: 10:02am On Mar 04, 2020
Get a competent lawyer and sue the nonentity that defaulted in whatever agreement you both signed. Disturbing them on NL and Twitter wouldn't yield any results.
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by GeorgeTheCoder: 10:09am On Mar 04, 2020
xtremecr8:

They are still using the same logo we designed(screenshot of their Twitter page and picture of their MD, Dr. Adeduntan presenting a package, carrying the 125th FBN logo we designed,to Senator Alasoadua are shown below).
We have not being paid yet she Mrs Folake Ani-Mumuney sent us to their legal unit.
Every email we send and even enquiry from Mrs Folake Ani-Mumuney by everyone we sought their help to intervene, she kept referring us to the legal unit(screenshot of her email reply)
Meanwhile, we can't pay our own bills.
Please help us tweet at them to beg them to pay us.
We are a small brand and admit that we can't match their kind of resources in Nigeria's legal system. We hardly pay our own overheads let alone paying for protracted legal case in Nigerian courts.
We just want to get paid for designing their 125th Anniversary logo. Nothing more, nothing less. We are ready to meet with their account unit not legal because we don't have business with their legal unit.

Get a lawyer who will fight the case for you in return for a percentage. That's your only solid recourse. If you don't know one, contact me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by adonainana: 10:59am On Mar 04, 2020
SocialJustice:
I tire for the guy, seeing how he's going about it, he is inexperienced and naive but he will eventually learn. Na when money don dey finish people like this dey go meet lawyer and they will see all the mistakes they made.

Dear Op, God will bless you for this move you have taken, please do not mind this mummuuu people saying you should get a lawyer etc

Please for the sake of your mental and financial health, do not get any lawyer to do anything for you , the social media damage you are doing now is enough

Also try to get Instablog to get the story on its page too, or better still pay them for a sponsored post,

I am a nigerian lawyer myself, Nigerian lawyers would only use you to chop money, Once you start the court case against the bank, they will use you to pay thier own children school fees, via appearance fees, etc

You will regret going to court because 3 years down the line you may still be there are they can always appeal till the supreme court

It will be you versus first bank of nigeria a bank that has billions of naira in its reserve, even if you win in court, they can still refuse to pay you, in the end the court case might cause depreseeion of suicide self,

Everything would fustrate you legal wise, nigerian is not the uk where you will get swift justice, dont let lawyers use you to accomplish thier own life goals

You have done well so far as a freelancer, you done a job for FBN and they have refused to pay

Please pay twitter infleuncers to carry the story and retweet the story, send this page to newspapers as well

You can only get your justice and money back through this way

AVOID LAWYERS PLEASE I AM A LAWYER MYSELF

Egungun please be careful, so when it happens you wont say i didnt warn you

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by xtremecr8: 4:31pm On Mar 04, 2020
SalamRushdie:
So this woman called Ani Mumuney hasnt stopped all this hanky panky behaviour , that's how she mad us waste resources in developing a third party business model for her department and after draining us intellectually and financially she took the finished model and handed it over to another firm and even gave the 500 thousand US dollars to implement the idea whereas my firm would have don the implementation for absolutely free whilst recovering our investments from sale of the solution to third parties but this woman and her cartel backstabbed us and handed my 100% original creation to another company where she obviously had interest ..But God being on my side they company failed to deliver and the project now moribound while I have made a ton of money deploying the solution with 3 other Banks who supported us and didn't back stab us ..
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by Chirowman(m): 4:39pm On Mar 04, 2020
First bank should pay their bills, it's not easy to do this kind of work.

1 Like

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by xtremecr8: 4:51pm On Mar 04, 2020
adonainana:

Dear Op, God will bless you for this move you have taken, please do not mind this mummuuu people saying you should get a lawyer etc

Please for the sake of your mental and financial health, do not get any lawyer to do anything for you , the social media damage you are doing now is enough

Also try to get Instablog to get the story on its page too, or better still pay them for a sponsored post,

I am a nigerian lawyer myself, Nigerian lawyers would only use you to chop money, Once you start the court case against the bank, they will use you to pay thier own children school fees, via appearance fees, etc

You will regret going to court because 3 years down the line you may still be there are they can always appeal till the supreme court

It will be you versus first bank of nigeria a bank that has billions of naira in its reserve, even if you win in court, they can still refuse to pay you, in the end the court case might cause depreseeion of suicide self,

Everything would fustrate you legal wise, nigerian is not the uk where you will get swift justice, dont let lawyers use you to accomplish thier own life goals

You have done well so far as a freelancer, you done a job for FBN and they have refused to pay

Please pay twitter infleuncers to carry the story and retweet the story, send this page to newspapers as well

Thank you sir for your candid advice and prayers. We just want to do things differently because we have the faith that this land still has men and women of conscience who can see the reason in our plea.

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by paragon40(m): 5:56am On Mar 05, 2020
sexylassie:

i will like to ask you

why didnt you have a contract in place before dealing with them?

This should be a lesson for you, before dealing with any business, prepare your contract and write down penalties for breaking contract, that is how they do business

what evidence do you have that she used your work except the design you did
And how did you know? that this,is not a breach of contract?

1 Like

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by paragon40(m): 6:08am On Mar 05, 2020
adonainana:

You are not a Lawyer, and if you're one as you have claimed to be, then you don't know your onions, so a lawyer should not be paid for his/her services. You're a joke. Your legal advice is for him to make plenty noise on social media via influencers, he would then create an opportunity for FBN to sue him for Defamation. @op better don't listen to this, you need to get a lawyer, let them write FBN. On the legal fees, you can strike a deal with your lawyers.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by Eberechi24(f): 6:38am On Mar 05, 2020
Oga, you are stubborn but you are not daring. You lack principal quality of a business individual, how can you be so fearful of legal unit not a courtroom? Oga hear them out before jumping into conclusion of fraud- they may/not mean no harm, whatever be the case.

Go to that unit, look them eyeball to eyeball and defend your property. Note you are not sign any paper. Record your conversation if necessary. Be smart.

E case wey dey bring money. This may be one of them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by Lucky4real28(m): 6:38am On Mar 05, 2020
I am still not sure why you cant just visit the legal department and hear them out, obviously there is no written agreement on this which puts you in a bad spot, what do you have to loss If you visit the legal department?, You don't expect FBN to just credit you without any agreement written.
I understand they shouldn't have used the logo in the first place which is the only case you have.
Let me tell you what I thought happened, you designed and sent a sample to someone who works with FBN and then the person gave your design to someone else who remade it and signed a legal contract with FBN which they paid, FBN is not committing any crimes here as they don't even know you. So I think your fight is with the contact you sent your design to which is still naive of your to do that.
I feel sorry for you to be honest but you should learn from all this, a watermark would have maybe make them sign a deal with you and getting the real deal rather than the free gift you offered them.
please do not listen to that guy that advised against getting a lawyer, he wants you to keep calling out FBN, truth is FBN don't have your time, atleast not yet but if this campaign continues, they might look into it and sue you for all you have and it won't still cost them a thing.
I think you have no case with FBN. Good luck and be careful

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by xtremecr8: 7:08am On Mar 05, 2020
Lucky4real28:
I am still not sure why you cant just visit the legal department and hear them out, obviously there is no written agreement on this which puts you in a bad spot, what do you have to loss If you visit the legal department?, You don't expect FBN to just credit you without any agreement written.
I understand they shouldn't have used the logo in the first place which is the only case you have.

Let me tell you what I thought happened, you designed and sent a sample to someone who works with FBN and then the person gave your design to someone else who remade it and signed a legal contract with FBN which they paid, FBN is not committing any crimes here as they don't even know you.
So I think your fight is with the contact you sent your design to which is still naive of your to do that.
I feel sorry for you to be honest but you should learn from all this, a watermark would have maybe make them sign a deal with you and getting the real deal rather than the free gift you offered them.
please do not listen to that guy that advised against getting a lawyer, he wants you to keep calling out FBN, truth is FBN don't have your time, atleast not yet but if this campaign continues, they might look into it and sue you for all you have and it won't still cost them a thing.
I think you have no case with FBN. Good luck and be careful
Thank you for the feedback sir.Please don't allow any brand or individual intimidate you and learn from our experience as a small organisation that is probably more experienced than you on this issue at hand sir.
You will agree with us after watching this video https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8efKBsF27l/?igshid=1092xtnvmcfpm we already shared here
that you don't understand the issue sir. We have equally stated that we are a small brand but not unreasonable. We don't cut corners or indulge in unethical practices and have repeatedly stated our reasons for this campaign. Only true entrepreneurs can connect to our story, they see their struggle in our predicament and we are grateful to them for their encouragement and support.
We are proud of our professional ethos largely influenced by our faith as Christians.

paragon40:
You are not a Lawyer, and if you're one as you have claimed to be, then you don't know your onions, so a lawyer should not be paid for his/her services. You're a joke. Your legal advice is for him to make plenty noise on social media via influencers, he would then create an opportunity for FBN to sue him for Defamation. @op better don't listen to this, you need to get a lawyer, let them write FBN. On the legal fees, you can strike a deal with your lawyers.
We assure you that we have not stated anything out of malice. There's nothing defamatory in demanding payment for your hardwork used by a big brand that hasn't paid you for it so don't allow anyone confuse or intimidate you.
We are seriously constrained to take this route and won't be intimidated.
They, big brand First Bank used our intellectual property and didn't pay us a dime. We have the right to demand payment for our hardwork so we won't die of hunger.
Eberechi24:
Oga, you are stubborn but you are not daring. You lack principal quality of a business individual, how can you be so fearful of legal unit not a courtroom? Oga hear them out before jumping into conclusion of fraud- they may/not mean no harm, whatever be the case.

Go to that unit, look them eyeball to eyeball and defend your property. Note you are not sign any paper. Record your conversation if necessary. Be smart.

E case wey dey bring money. This may be one of them.
We don't want to be stubborn or daring. We just want to get paid for designing the 125th Anniversary logo of big brand First Bank we designed. As we type here, they are still using it even through 2019, yet we have not been paid a dime. That's ungodly, immoral, unethical and not allowed anywhere in the world.We don't believe it is really the bank but the people currently charged with taking decisions on behalf of the first bank. Even in real life, please don't support evil or sit on the fence in the face of any form of injustice. Today it's xtremecr8, tomorrow it may be you that may be so badly treated by big brand First Bank.

1 Like

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by adonainana: 8:01am On Mar 05, 2020
paragon40:

Dear fellow counsel, regardless of what the Rules of Professional Conduct tells you, humanity should always come first, you know this boy would never stand a chance due to how cubersome and frustrating the nigerian legal system is. If i was the lawyer representing First bank and i am hopefully against the case for the man. You know what already i would be looking for that would make the case favour First bank. ( 1. No written agreement- the boy is a freelancer, im sure when he decided to design the logo there was no agreement between first bank ( duly signed by a secretary or the appropriate signatory on the contract ) and the poor boy

Number two- First bank can easily say whatever the boy designed was in intellectual derivation of an existing piece of work and if i was even first bank lawyers, i will file a counter claim self against the boy that they owe him money

Common bro, not every time you be looking for brief like you hungry and homeless and you have nothing to eat at home.

Which judge in nigeria right now would you bring a litigation too that does not have a written contract defining what the issue was self and you would expect him to rule in favour of the claimant.

Even one land matter i had i lost it cos of there was no survey for the land despite the mumu judge staring at the deed of assignment like this and even the defendant claimed that was his signature.

So when he loses in the high court you will tell him to appeal again and waste his time because of how much 50,000 naira, the amount of time and effort and what his life would go through before litigation ends is it worth 50,000 naira

Even 50,000 naira wont be worth 50,000 naira in real terms in 3 years time.

So why cant he go through the process he is going through now and get thier attention that they have cheated him and they should do better

2 Likes

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by sexylassie(f): 9:37am On Mar 05, 2020
paragon40:
And how did you know? that this,is not a breach of contract?

If there was contract, this will not be happening
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by DNSPro: 9:57am On Mar 05, 2020
SalamRushdie:
So this woman called Ani Mumuney hasnt stopped all this hanky panky behaviour , that's how she mad us waste resources in developing a third party business model for her department and after draining us intellectually and financially she took the finished model and handed it over to another firm and even gave the 500 thousand US dollars to implement the idea whereas my firm would have don the implementation for absolutely free whilst recovering our investments from sale of the solution to third parties but this woman and her cartel backstabbed us and handed my 100% original creation to another company where she obviously had interest ..But God being on my side they company failed to deliver and the project now moribound while I have made a ton of money deploying the solution with 3 other Banks who supported us and didn't back stab us ..

I also have an idea that Banks can play a huge role for but knowing how Nigeria's IP is weak plus porous legal systems, I can't bring myself to let them know about it.

It will practically change how businesses is transacted in Nigeria but this country is fuck3d
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by DNSPro: 9:59am On Mar 05, 2020
nathaliya:
Nawa o, going by another comment here the Ani Mumuney is notorious for this behaviour. I remember sometime last year I had an SBLC and needed some discounting service of 20-30% to meet up. This same wonderful bank refused to help saying it was my first deal. They watched that business nearly go bankrupt because I'm not a big fish. With God on my side, I was able to discou t the same SBLC from another country. Nigerian banks in general are just financial traps.

Chai. Please what's the meaning of SBLC in this context?
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by DNSPro: 10:02am On Mar 05, 2020
xtremecr8:

They are still using the same logo we designed(screenshot of their Twitter page and picture of their MD, Dr. Adeduntan presenting a package, carrying the 125th FBN logo we designed,to Senator Alasoadua are shown below).
We have not being paid yet she Mrs Folake Ani-Mumuney sent us to their legal unit.
Every email we send and even enquiry from Mrs Folake Ani-Mumuney by everyone we sought their help to intervene, she kept referring us to the legal unit(screenshot of her email reply)
Meanwhile, we can't pay our own bills.
Please help us tweet at them to beg them to pay us.
We are a small brand and admit that we can't match their kind of resources in Nigeria's legal system. We hardly pay our own overheads let alone paying for protracted legal case in Nigerian courts.
We just want to get paid for designing their 125th Anniversary logo. Nothing more, nothing less. We are ready to meet with their account unit not legal because we don't have business with their legal unit.

Are you the owner of Journalist.com?
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by jidobaba(m): 10:48am On Mar 05, 2020
xtremecr8:

You will agree with us after watching this video https://www.instagram.com/tv/B8efKBsF27l/?igshid=1092xtnvmcfpm we already shared here
that you don't understand the issue sir. .
Now this video explains a lot that many of us missed, probably due to you choosing your words carefully to avoid trouble. In essence, you already know what the legal team will say because they had said it earlier.
BUT if the description of the evil woman and her team is correct, then you better be ready to go ALL IN or don't even start this at all. Let it go.
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by nathaliya: 1:02pm On Mar 05, 2020
DNSPro:

Chai. Please what's the meaning of SBLC in this context?

Stand By Letter of Credit. It's like a post dated cheque which the buyer's bank stands like a surety that instead of the cheque to bounce, they must pay you 100% immediately you present it to them.
It simply means once you deliver, your money is non negotiable or sacrosanct.

Discounting an SBLC is a loan offered by banks to support businesses meet up with huge projects. For example, the profit margin in a business may be 10 to 20% which can be a lot depending on the size but your capital may be 50 - 70% meaning you need at least 10% to 30% extra. The bank steps in and says since we are sure you will get paid, we don't want you to lose this deal, take this money, finish your business and pay us back with 1% interest.
Eg: you want to sell a cup of rice at #100 and your profit there is #20 meaning it will cost you #80 to buy and ship the rice. Meanwhile what you have is #60. Normally to borrow #20 from the bank, you need collateral or a guarantor who has collateral valued at 130% of what you want to borrow.
When you have an SBLC it's like a pending cheque so instead of you to fail, the bank steps in and gives you #20 at a very low interest of 1 or 2%. There's no risk because once you deliver, the money must come to your account with them and the loan will be deducted immediately. So you can meet up with your customer's order.

Nigerian banks still play god even in these situation by looking at your 1year acct history. If the money there is not up to the amount you want them to discount sorry 4 you. Meaning if you haven't blown before, they won't help you blow even when it costs them nothing and they'll happily watch you fail.

4 Likes

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by DNSPro: 1:40pm On Mar 05, 2020
nathaliya:

Stand By Letter of Credit. It's like a post dated cheque which the buyer's bank stands like a surety that instead of the cheque to bounce, they must pay you 100% immediately you present it to them.
It simply means once you deliver, your money is non negotiable or sacrosanct.

Discounting an SBLC is a loan offered by banks to support businesses meet up with huge projects. For example, the profit margin in a business may be 10 to 20% which can be a lot depending on the size but your capital may be 50 - 70% meaning you need at least 10% to 30% extra. The bank steps in and says since we are sure you will get paid, we don't want you to lose this deal, take this money, finish your business and pay us back with 1% interest.
Eg: you want to sell a cup of rice at #100 and your profit there is #20 meaning it will cost you #80 to buy and ship the rice. Meanwhile what you have is #60. Normally to borrow #20 from the bank, you need collateral or a guarantor who has collateral valued at 130% of what you want to borrow.
When you have an SBLC it's like a pending cheque so instead of you to fail, the bank steps in and gives you #20 at a very low interest of 1 or 2%. There's no risk because once you deliver, the money must come to your account with them and the loan will be deducted immediately. So you can meet up with your customer's order.

Nigerian banks still play god even in these situation by looking at your 1year acct history. If the money there is not up to the amount you want them to discount sorry 4 you. Meaning if you haven't blown before, they won't help you blow even when it costs them nothing and they'll happily watch you fail.

Thanks so much for the lectures. Wow, this is an eye opener. Yeah, I have an idea about Letter of Credit but didn't know the abbreviation was SBLC. From your explanation, this is clearly an export business and thankfully, you didn't lose the deal.

Do you mind if I send a PM please? I have some questions to ask but if you want me to ask them here, no problem.
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by nathaliya: 4:25pm On Mar 05, 2020
DNSPro:

Thanks so much for the lectures. Wow, this is an eye opener. Yeah, I have an idea about Letter of Credit but didn't know the abbreviation was SBLC. From your explanation, this is clearly an export business and thankfully, you didn't lose the deal.

Do you mind if I send a PM please? I have some questions to ask but if you want me to ask them here, no problem.

You're welcome but I'll rather answer the questions here
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by xtremecr8: 5:47pm On Mar 05, 2020
We just got reliably informed by one of those equally unhappy about the way the big brand First Bank treated us. First Bank (UK) Limited is equally using the logo we worked hard to design for FBN125th Anniversary celebrations yet we have not been paid a dime.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by kitsall123: 7:02pm On Mar 05, 2020
Op has no business with the legal team.If at all as a vendor you have any legal document to sign it will be channelled through the team which you had dealings with.

Obviously, its clear for those who re well educated that there is an iota of suspicion that this coy is about to be bullied by their legal team.

If they had respect for this vendor, they would have set up a meeting to talk things over or have their legal team call this vendor.

If this is not taken seriously, then it will become a very dangerous norm and more smaller firms will suffer same fate.

A vendor has no business dealing with a legal dept directly unless their is a serious issue at hand.

The Lady has messed up big time hence referring him OP to the legal team.

OP, you have your back against the wall.Visit the legal team and just hear what they have to say.

1 Like

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by DNSPro: 8:31pm On Mar 05, 2020
nathaliya:

You're welcome but I'll rather answer the questions here

Okay, thank you.

I also have interest and I know an identified product that would do well after extensive research that I spent months on but means of receiving payment has been what I was wary of, in a case whereby goods get to buyer and they still do not pay. How do you avoid such? I once read that from a respected Nairalander experienced this and lost money. How would you mitigate against such?

Do you have a specific place where you get buyers for your goods or you just google companies directly and pitch to them?

Are there any means of meeting this people first before doing the deal or it is just over the internet?

If it the latter, how did they trust you enough to want to do business with you for the first time? Do you have a website built to help boost your credibility?

Also with the cost of shipping containers and hold up at the Apapa port in Lagos, how do you battle this for shipping containers?

Thanks in advance and I hope I have not asked too much.
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by nathaliya: 6:23am On Mar 06, 2020
DNSPro:

Okay, thank you.

I also have interest and I know an identified product that would do well after extensive research that I spent months on but means of receiving payment has been what I was wary of, in a case whereby goods get to buyer and they still do not pay. How do you avoid such? I once read that from a respected Nairalander experienced this and lost money. How would you mitigate against such?

Do you have a specific place where you get buyers for your goods or you just google companies directly and pitch to them?

Are there any means of meeting this people first before doing the deal or it is just over the internet?

If it the latter, how did they trust you enough to want to do business with you for the first time? Do you have a website built to help boost your credibility?

Also with the cost of shipping containers and hold up at the Apapa port in Lagos, how do you battle this for shipping containers?

Thanks in advance and I hope I have not asked too much.

It's not too much.

In a case whereby goods get to buyer and they still do not pay. How do you avoid such?
- Irrevocable Letters of Credit payable at sight, Bank Guarantee and Blocked Funds.

I've explained how SBLC works, there's another LC called DLC, it's also like a post dated cheque but the bank isn't a guarantor. It's strictly you and the buyer, if the buyer goes bankrupt, na your luck but if the buyer has money in that account, the bank is compelled to pay you.
Bank guarantees are another name or a twin brother to SBLC.
Blocked funds is simply the buyer freezing your money so that even he can't spend it and once you deliver, He's auto debited.

All these financial instruments are supervised by the bank to bank thereby adding more credibility.
Your main issue with them however is that Nigerian banks have very low reputation and many countries have barred them from receiving financial instruments so if you rely on these instruments, your buyers especially from Asia may struggle.

The internet is your best hope because the buyer's that are offline, hmmmm. You may not be able to meet them even if they spend donkey years in Nigeria due to the calibre of people they row with. Check b2b websites and register on them and begin to post products and services. Even if they don't buy, when your company turns up on different sites saying the same thing, it shows you are kinda serious. Your own website would also be nice and boost your image but it's not compulsory.

Are there any means of meeting this people first before doing the deal or it is just over the internet? If it the latter, how did they trust you enough to want to do business with you for the first time?

If the product isn't something that requires them getting their hands dirty to inspect or test, many buyers will buy and conclude and even pay via the internet but not with cash. That's why letters of credit and the rest are available. You have to be a wealthy crook to dupe them with a financial instrument.

how do you battle this for shipping containers?
Never try to foot these costs on your own, the temptation to make your price the lowest in the internet is always there until you have orders that will put you in 20yrs debt and I'm not kidding. Add 2weeks extra in the shipping timeline and explain to them that normally the product reaches earlier but for documentation and unforseen circumstances, you're adding extra days. Get a quote from shipping companies online and add +/-5-10% to avoid stories that won't touch. And always pay for insurance so you can sleep while the goods are on the sea so you don't turn an astrologer trying to predict the storms grin
Who will buy will buy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by xtremecr8: 8:03am On Mar 06, 2020
And due to your support and pressure, they took time out of their very busy schedule to reply a small brand like us.
Here is the reply we got from the MD of First Bank, Mr Adeduntan.
While we appreciate his feedback,please kindly help us ask him,

Dear Mr Adeduntan,

Which part is "manifestly untrue" sir?
1.That xtremecr8 designed your First Bank 125th Anniversary logo.

Or

2. Xtremecr8 has not been paid a dime for designing your 125th Year anniversary logo.

Or

3. Your organisation,First bank, has used and still using the same logo we designed yet has not paid us a dime for designing this logo and you are still grandstanding

Or
4. We the small brand will die if a big brand like FBN could take all our hardwork and refuse to pay us.

Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by decub: 9:15am On Mar 06, 2020
xtremecr8:

Very intelligent question. We are their vendor and this is the tricky part of the treachery. When we finished, while we are still on the discussion of our Bill, Fbn through Mrs Folake Ani-Mumuney requested us to produce small sample of about 100 ipad covers with the logo. We did to the best of our ability.
What we found strange until now is how Mrs Mumuney believe that the vendor job of supplying iPad covers we printed same logo we designed for them gives her and the bank a licence to use our intellectual property and then when we reminded them of our Bill, she refered us to legal. We have a reason to suspect it is a scheme from the onset to cheat us as a small brand.
Your reply on watermark got me.

Are you sure there were no hidden terms on this contract?

I'm thinking they may have played a smart one on you through their terms and/or business policy which you ignorantly may have accepted.

From all indications, Mrs Mumuney's audacity shows she's got some spelt out terms you may not have understood before you took the job and it will take a legal team to interpret it to you in clear terms.

If I may ask, were you paid for this 100 iPad covers? If yes, then you really need to see their legal team before acting further, lest, the hunter becomes the hunted.
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by DNSPro: 10:00am On Mar 06, 2020
nathaliya:

It's not too much.

In a case whereby goods get to buyer and they still do not pay. How do you avoid such?
- Irrevocable Letters of Credit payable at sight, Bank Guarantee and Blocked Funds.

I've explained how SBLC works, there's another LC called DLC, it's also like a post dated cheque but the bank isn't a guarantor. It's strictly you and the buyer, if the buyer goes bankrupt, na your luck but if the buyer has money in that account, the bank is compelled to pay you.
Bank guarantees are another name or a twin brother to SBLC.
Blocked funds is simply the buyer freezing your money so that even he can't spend it and once you deliver, He's auto debited.

All these financial instruments are supervised by the bank to bank thereby adding more credibility.
Your main issue with them however is that Nigerian banks have very low reputation and many countries have barred them from receiving financial instruments so if you rely on these instruments, your buyers especially from Asia may struggle.

The internet is your best hope because the buyer's that are offline, hmmmm. You may not be able to meet them even if they spend donkey years in Nigeria due to the calibre of people they row with. Check b2b websites and register on them and begin to post products and services. Even if they don't buy, when your company turns up on different sites saying the same thing, it shows you are kinda serious. Your own website would also be nice and boost your image but it's not compulsory.

Are there any means of meeting this people first before doing the deal or it is just over the internet? If it the latter, how did they trust you enough to want to do business with you for the first time?

If the product isn't something that requires them getting their hands dirty to inspect or test, many buyers will buy and conclude and even pay via the internet but not with cash. That's why letters of credit and the rest are available. You have to be a wealthy crook to dupe them with a financial instrument.

how do you battle this for shipping containers?
Never try to foot these costs on your own, the temptation to make your price the lowest in the internet is always there until you have orders that will put you in 20yrs debt and I'm not kidding. Add 2weeks extra in the shipping timeline and explain to them that normally the product reaches earlier but for documentation and unforseen circumstances, you're adding extra days. Get a quote from shipping companies online and add +/-5-10% to avoid stories that won't touch. And always pay for insurance so you can sleep while the goods are on the sea so you don't turn an astrologer trying to predict the storms grin
Who will buy will buy.

Oh wow... thanks a lot. So technically, banks serves as the ESCROW in this case.

With reference to poor reputation of our banks in Nigeria and their inability or reluctance to assist your deal, how did you get another bank in a different country to stand in for you?

Did you have any previous relationship with the said country's bank prior to that event or you contacted them out of the blue (but how would they trust you in this case?)? or you used a friend in the said country?
Re: How First Bank Did not pay us for designing 125th Year Logo(read FBN's reply) by Blackmiserable(m): 10:30am On Mar 06, 2020
xtremecr8:

Thank you so very much for your valuable advice. We have noted them for follow up action. We have nothing to hide on this issue. If you consider how long between the day we posted this news here and constrained to escalate it now, you will bear with us and understand that we were truly constrained by the email from Mrs Folake Ani-Mumuney and First Bank. In particular the continuous use of the logo we designed which we see on a daily basis while they have not paid us and still want us to be meeting with their legal unit is a troubling psychological torture we don't wish on any small Nigerian brand.

Hello, sir. I have some questions

1) Are you a registered business yourself?

2) How did you get the contract?

3) Was there an agreed price?

4) Most importantly, was there a contract? Not necessarily hard copies. You talked about iPad and what about. It shows there was an agreement (like you have proofs of communication even though there wasn't any legal frameworks) like email address chats or something?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

The Top Ten Richest Countries In The World By GDP. / Dangote Group Donates 35 Cars To The Lagos State Government / Setting Up a Cyber-cafe: What Does It Take?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.