Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,554 members, 7,812,777 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:08 PM

His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? (28586 Views)

US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Nigerian Boy Pranks His Parents With A Fake Snake(Hilarious Video) / 2-year-old Boy Shreds N381,600 His Parents Saved For Utah Football tickets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 5:36pm On Dec 22, 2019
Is It Proper For Me As A Friend Attend This Engagement?

I will make this short as possible.

I will be attending a friend of mine engagement party today who happened to have impregnated the girl before marriage plan. That wasn't his plan. His parents didn't give their blessings hence they are not showing up for the engagement party.

Is it right for me as a friend to show up for something like this that was not blessed nor consented by the parents of the groom to be?

What do you think? mature ones please

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by SenorFax(m): 5:39pm On Dec 22, 2019
Show your support as his friend, go and let him know even through ffucck-ups you will be there for him.

415 Likes 8 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by chii8(f): 6:07pm On Dec 22, 2019
You of all people,is expected to be there.

220 Likes 3 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 6:11pm On Dec 22, 2019
"A friend in need is a friend indeed"

184 Likes 5 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by StrikeBack(m): 6:18pm On Dec 22, 2019
Wetin concern you with their parents. Don't let this decision affect your relationship with your friends.

257 Likes 3 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Birdeyeview: 6:23pm On Dec 22, 2019
Be supportives of your friend irrespective of his parent refusal to be present. infact times like this are highly appreciated from a friend....

170 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by yanabasee(m): 6:38pm On Dec 22, 2019
Whether you attend or not, they will successfully get engaged and married and breed kids and move on without you....

If you can't be a friend at this moment, then you were never a friend from the beginning.....

296 Likes 8 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Dec 22, 2019
If you really are his "friend", as you call yourself, you wouldn't be deliberating this. Showing up to support him is what a friend would do.

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 22, 2019
Birdeyeview:
Be supportives of your friend irrespective of his parent refusal to be present. infact times like this are highly appreciated from a friend....

thanks

7 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Acidosis(m): 6:51pm On Dec 22, 2019
If you think it is wrong to be engaged without the consent of both parents, then advise your friend in your own little way and let him know your principle.

Your principle and view about life should be prioritize above any friendship.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Dec 22, 2019
Acidosis:

If you think it is wrong to be engaged without the consent of both parents, then advise your friend in your own little way and let him know your principle.

Your principle and view about life should be prioritize above any friendship.

you made a whole lot of sense. Thanks.

I am particular about his parents giving their blessings. I have told him. We have been telling ourselves as friends the truth no matter the situation.

Going ahead without parents consent and blessings is wrong

6 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by jahsharon: 7:04pm On Dec 22, 2019
A friend in need is a friend in deed. What type of friend are you? Are you a friend to the guy or to his parents?

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Acidosis(m): 7:08pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

you made a whole lot of sense. Thanks.

I am particular about his parents giving their blessings. I have told him. We have been telling ourselves as friends the truth no matter the situation.

You acted rightly. Emphasize your view of TRUTH. When that fails, support him and wish him well. His failure to see your view shouldn't authomatically affect your physical participation. A time will come he would stop inviting you to his family business, and that's the way it should be.

There's more to friendship than buying asoebi upandan like masquerades.

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by czarina(f): 7:19pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

The above shows that you clearly already know what to do. Why ask?

17 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by crackhaus: 7:22pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

I will be attending a friend of mine engagement party today who happened to have impregnated the girl before marriage plan. That wasn't his plan. His parents didn't give their blessings hence they are not showing up for the engagement party.

is it right for me as a friend to show up for something like this that was not blessed nor consented by the parents of the groom to be?

what do you think? mature ones please
This is just an engagement party, not the wedding ceremony.
They may show up for the actual wedding, you just never know.

Meanwhile, go be a good friend.
You really don't need to see eye to eye to walk hand in hand with others.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Dec 22, 2019
czarina:
The above shows that you clearly already know what to do. Why ask?

what I want to do is different from what is right or wrong.
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by czarina(f): 7:24pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

what I want to do is different from what is right or wrong.
But you're going by the principles of "right" and "wrong" (morals) innit? cool

5 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by itsme01: 9:37pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

is it right for me as a friend to show up for something like this that was not blessed nor consented by the parents of the groom to be?

what do you think? mature ones please

he can settle with his parents at anytime and make you feel like an evil for not attending

25 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by freecocoa(f): 9:45pm On Dec 22, 2019
You just want to be the typical amebo and judgemental person that most people are, otherwise you have no business asking this type of question.

68 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by nanauju(f): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2019
sad
I don't know.. But his parents decisions are not your business though.
Better still put yourself in his shoes.... Would you be happy if he didn't show up for ur engagement because of the circumstances

Get your children educational android tablets@N20,000 with free delivery nationwide. Go through my threads for pictures, functions and specifications and please check my signature for contact

4 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by ibkayee(f): 10:14pm On Dec 22, 2019
Are you the groom’s friend or the parents’??

I don’t even understand the ‘dilemma’ lol

16 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by teekay213(m): 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2019
shocked
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by falcon01: 10:15pm On Dec 22, 2019
you should
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Goldenheart(m): 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2019
If only I knew where my earpiece was... cry
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by INTEGRITYA1(m): 10:16pm On Dec 22, 2019
I've been in the same situations some years ago.
The guy na my sure pal right from childhood
The ceremony was to be at Akure and I'm in Lagos State, in fact I didn't have more than 5k both in bank and cash that day, so I have enough reasons not to embarked on that journey that day.
The date has been fixed and my friends mother was still considering either to attend or not, but the mother succumbed to the pressure from my friend's family and she decided not to attend. Yeah they have good reasons but that beyond the scope of this write up.

She made her intention not to attend knew two (2) days to the event and the atmosphere was so tensed as the wife to be said no going back.

I tried to intervened to either persuaded my friend's mother to attend or appealed to the wife to be to postponed.
Neutrally postponement could have been my preferred option because I was having little cash with me but none of the options worked out.

I knew where my loyalty lies of course; so I summon my courage and get fully ready for the journey.

Early hour on the said date I moved to Akure along with another friend that shared the same opinion with me.
It was indeed a nice journey and memorable experience, apart from been my first time of going to Akure; it gives me joy to be with my pal and celebrate with him in such challenging and critical moment.

I can't take such risk for anybody anyhow but for my good friends.

If I says friend, I mean friend. So digest.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by fkj950ax(m): 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:
Is It Proper For Me As A Friend Attend This Engagement?

Is it right for me as a friend to show up for something like this that was not blessed nor consented by the parents of the groom to be?

What do you think? mature ones please

Yes you should attend.
You aren't the parents' Holy Spirit.
Do not support or withdraw support against someone for the type of relationship the person has with someone else.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Moreoffaith(m): 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2019
grin
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by meobizy(f): 10:17pm On Dec 22, 2019
Are you his friend or his parents’ friend? If you are the latter then shun the event. I don’t need to tell you the form of action for the aforementioned.

I thought Nairaland’s creative writers took a break. It’s good to see they’re back in form.

2 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by verifiablefacts: 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2019
the only time you will go against your friend, is when he commits crime.

13 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Dobson43: 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2019
shocked
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Hotfreez: 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2019
Later in the future he would reconcile with his parents and forget about it but if you don't attend, he won't forget it.

Go and support him.

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas / My Husband Starves Me Of Sex – Pregnant Wife Tells Court / 57-Year-Old Man Impregnates His Wife's Sister In Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.