Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,573 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? (28655 Views)

US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Nigerian Boy Pranks His Parents With A Fake Snake(Hilarious Video) / 2-year-old Boy Shreds N381,600 His Parents Saved For Utah Football tickets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 29, 2019
CeterisXVII:

There is absolutely NOTHING flawed about my post.

Who says an engagement cannot be low keyed? Where is it written in the OP's post, that it was a flamboyant engagement?

I have seen traditional engagement that held in the parlour of the bride's family. All those present were less than 10 people, including the couple. From outside, you will not even know anything was going on, inside the house.

Secondly, the reason for the groom's parents disagreement for the wedding, was NOT even stated.

So how do you know, if their disagreement was based on flimsy or frivolous reasons?

i am the op. i must admit at this point that you are very wise.
Are the bride's parents not rational adults too? Don't you think they must have looked at those reasons, as well as their daughter's happiness and reputation, before deciding to hold the engagement?

And what makes you think the bride's people have NOT tried to reach out to the groom's parents before now? Even though the OP did not make reference to that aspect?

Having a court wedding means they are legally married in the eyes of the law. A traditional engagement is even better, as it is a customary tie which can be easily broken, if they are incompatible in future.

But with a court wedding they will have to go through divorce proceedings in a law court, before their union can be dissolved. Lawyers will have to be involved on both sides. Their case could take a few years, before it is concluded. sad

Yet, you are advocating that it is better for the couple to do a court wedding, (which is far more difficult to break), because of the groom's parents disapproval with their union, instead of a traditional engagement, that is less cumbersome. Na wa, o!

Oga, when your own daughter gets pregnant outside wedlock, you can give her your own advice. Until then, leave the couple alone, to enjoy their lives.

The groom's parents will eventually accept them....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obituary Of Family Of 6 Killed By Generator Fume In Port Harcourt / Nigerian Lady Who Was Told She Couldn't Give Birth Again, Gives Birth To Twins / Nigerian Family Plunge From 4-storey Building In South Korea(Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.