Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,416 members, 7,830,105 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? (28659 Views)

US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Nigerian Boy Pranks His Parents With A Fake Snake(Hilarious Video) / 2-year-old Boy Shreds N381,600 His Parents Saved For Utah Football tickets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by cescky(m): 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2019
cry

Africans and slave mentality... Would his parents blessing guarantee marital bliss? Or vice versa?

Yes the guy messed up impregnating the girl...

Some people are dying for this same baby.. All babies are from God..

10 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2019
What kind of friend will ask this useless question? You should even be helping him plan stuff

9 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 22, 2019
Abeg attend the wedding, wetin consign you with his family palaver.

You can now learn a skills or trade at the comfort of your home, this is strictly for serious minded people
You can learn this training -:

1) Solar/inverter installation/maintenance
2) Laptop repair and maintenance
3) Mobile phone repair and maintenance
4) Satellite TV installation
And many other.we are going to be updating the website with different training program,get train today and start your own I.T company

1 Like

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by midnighter(f): 10:22pm On Dec 22, 2019
Go ahead as long as you feel his intentions for the girl are good. His parents have their own reasons for being disappointed with him.

Im even happy he is marrying the girl sef, e own better

Modified: I have seen where you stated that its actually against your conscience to attend an event under such circumstances.

If it goes against your convictions and you sincerely think that he is making is mistake then you are not compelled to attend just to make him feel better when you have made it clear to him that you disapprove of his actions.

If he understands you well he will know that you are not acting out of ill will towards him or his wife/child.

3 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by smatme(m): 10:26pm On Dec 22, 2019
Attend the prog my brother. When the parents vex finish, them go bless them.
[color=#000099][/color]
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by dreamangel: 10:26pm On Dec 22, 2019
Are you his friend or his parent's friend?
A friend stands by his or her friend even when he or she is making a colossal mistake and not listening to your good advice. You know when to to stop talking and go into serious prayers on their behalf. Love costs and it hurts.
If you value the friendship attend the ceremony.

2 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Tallyglobal(m): 10:28pm On Dec 22, 2019
Hmmm
As a friend u shld always be there for him, in terms of cold weather and hot..
He his the one to face the good and the bad side, sometimes is not good for the nose to get the Aroma with out the taste how sweet the food is...
May God help him me.

3 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by victorian(f): 10:29pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:
Is It Proper For Me As A Friend Attend This Engagement?

I will make this short as possible.

I will be attending a friend of mine engagement party today who happened to have impregnated the girl before marriage plan. That wasn't his plan. His parents didn't give their blessings hence they are not showing up for the engagement party.

Is it right for me as a friend to show up for something like this that was not blessed nor consented by the parents of the groom to be?

What do you think? mature ones please

Attend as a friend.

He can settle with his parents at any time and u won't be there when they settle.

Then don't expect him to cut off from his fiance. She's pregnant already and I doubt if he would want his child to be labelled as a bastard because his parents didn't agree to his choice of bride.

I have a friend who got married to his bride, without her parents consent. They still went ahead with the wedding. Got married, they have three kids. The guy has progressed more than before, he even employed his wife elder sister and younger bro in his company. When they swallowed their pride and asked for his help.
He's the only son in-law doing well in all the remaining two men that married the wife's sisters.
His in-laws have forgiven him after the birth of his second child and are now singing his praises. Cause he cares for them.

So that's human beings for you.

They always change when event turns good on the long run.

Attend jare. And wish them the best.

Cause if he had impregnated your only sister, you won't say, you won't attend.

You will even say to hell with his parents and he must marry your sister by fire by force.

So place yourself in their shoes and do the right thing.

13 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Enemyofpeace: 10:29pm On Dec 22, 2019
He is your friend you need to give him the necessary support, but make sure you advice him first

1 Like

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Enemyofpeace: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2019
chii8:
You of all people,is expected to be there.
You nko?won't you attend the party?
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Patojargz: 10:31pm On Dec 22, 2019
Ur friend, Una matter...No doubt!
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Patojargz: 10:31pm On Dec 22, 2019
Ur friend, Una matter... No doubt!
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Vicyace: 10:32pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

you made a whole lot of sense. Thanks.

I am particular about his parents giving their blessings. I have told him. We have been telling ourselves as friends the truth no matter the situation.

Going ahead without parents consent and blessings is wrong

So your principle is to desert a friend when he needs you the most?

Don't forget that parents ain't always right. They tend to be bias towards their expectations.

That she got pregnant doesn't make her a terrible choice of a wife.

I have supported a friend in this similar situation, now my friends parents are happy with their family. Only difference is she didn't get pregnant before the engagement but the parents gave their blessings eventually.

1 Like

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by King44(m): 10:33pm On Dec 22, 2019
SenorFax:
Show your support as his friend, go and let him know even through ffucck-ups you will be there for him.
good but hope u advicef him to search for reasons why his parents didn't bless their union
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by wristbangle: 10:34pm On Dec 22, 2019
victorian:

Attend as a friend.

He can settle with his parents at any time and u won't be there when they settle.

Then don't expect him to cut off from his fiance. She's pregnant already and I doubt if he would want his child to be labelled as a bastard because his parents didn't agree to his choice of bride.

I have a friend who got married to his bride, without her parents consent. They still went ahead with the wedding. Got married, they have three kids. The guy has progressed more than before, he even employed his wife elder sister and younger bro in his company. When they swallowed their pride and asked for his help.
He's the only son in-law doing well in all the remaining two men that married the wife's sisters.
His in-laws have forgiven him after the birth of his second child and are now singing his praises. Cause he cares for them.

You will even say to hell with his parents and he must marry your sister by fire by force.

Sighs.. Much words of wisdom. cool

2 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by BigBizzy(m): 10:36pm On Dec 22, 2019
Your loyalty is to your friend... Do the math
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by midnighter(f): 10:40pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

Not always wrong. Not advisable, but not necessarily wrong.

Not all parents have their childrens best interests at heart when dishing out and "withholding" blessings.

The individual should use their discretion to judge whether their parents advice is worth heeding or not.

Blindly following parental instructions as an adult is not wise. Use your brain to weigh their perspective and determine whether or not to listen to them

You only have one life to live and it does not belong exclusively to your parents.

9 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by victorian(f): 10:43pm On Dec 22, 2019
wristbangle:

Sighs.. Much word of wisdom. cool

Aww, thanks dear smiley
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by noobody(m): 10:45pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

I will be attending a friend of mine engagement party today who happened to have impregnated the girl before marriage plan. That wasn't his plan. His parents didn't give their blessings hence they are not showing up for the engagement party.

Is it right for me as a friend to show up for something like this that was not blessed nor consented by the parents of the groom to be?

And you call your self my friend,so you decided to come to nairaland to expose me,and to decide if you can come to my party abi,see dont just come again oo,we dont need you.

Imagine your friend saw this on nairaland,how would he feel towards you sir?

2 Likes

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by raphroye: 10:45pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

How your friend parents decision take affect yours?
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Dec 22, 2019
victorian:

Attend as a friend.

he's my day one homie. but what I like about our relationship is telling each other the truth.

Thanks. you really seem to understand
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by mechanics(m): 10:49pm On Dec 22, 2019
It's even unscriptural for someone to impregnate a woman before marriage, his parents are right, attending the wedding means you are supporting illegality.
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by MajorWarren: 10:49pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

This don is seeking approval to go and show support to his friend. His parents ain’t your friends bro, he is.
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by MajorWarren: 10:50pm On Dec 22, 2019
mechanics:
It's even unscriptural for someone to impregnate a woman before marriage, his parents are right, attending the wedding means you are supporting illegality.

I hope you’re being sarcastic cos boy
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Dec 22, 2019
I like your mindset on this issue. It's a difficult decision to make. But why should the bride's family give consent (if possible, too-quick-arrangement) to the engagement ceremony without the groom's parents? Something is definitely wrong with the bride's family, lets start from here. I advice your friend to undergo spiritual checkup first before the d-day. Then, ask your friend to know the exact reason why his parents are not coming. Grooms parents may be right at the end, let your friend find out the root first before that day. Then you can decide to go or not. Just be wise and cunny as serpent, and be harmless and pure as dove in this matter.

1 Like

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by SaFree(m): 10:54pm On Dec 22, 2019
You have my permission.. You can go

1 Like

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by HazzanTazzan(m): 10:54pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

you made a whole lot of sense. Thanks.

I am particular about his parents giving their blessings. I have told him. We have been telling ourselves as friends the truth no matter the situation.

Can you listen to yourself ?

As much as its important to get your parents blessings, when it comes to life long decisions like marriage, and your parents are telling you "don't marry from that tribe" even when you're in love with a girl from thay tribe, you need to weigh your love and marriage life with satisfying but patents wish which has no basis...

I'm very certain that this issue is tribal or religious and thats why the parent didn't give their blessing...

In this 21st century, it's art and nonsense for parents to still do that and you as a friend living in the 21st century supporting such move by the parent, you're simply an illiterate...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by victorian(f): 10:55pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

he's my day one homie. but what I like about our relationship is telling each other the truth.

Thanks. you really seem to understand

You are welcome.

It's good u told him the truth, it's shows u are a good friend but at the end of it all, There is a pregnant lover involved here with his first fruit about to be delivered.
He can't turn his back on them.
Anyways I wish him and his bride the best , amen.

1 Like

Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by mechanics(m): 10:56pm On Dec 22, 2019
MajorWarren:

I hope you’re being sarcastic cos boy
You can say whatever you like but it's the truth.
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by Vatod(m): 10:57pm On Dec 22, 2019
After taking 2bottles of Legend and Oshogbo weed, listening to Rapsodi by Olamide (lyrics carefully). My only advise is Please Bring Back Our Olamide....
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by MajorWarren: 10:58pm On Dec 22, 2019
mechanics:
You can say whatever you like but it's the truth.

But that’s his friend? He should abandon his friend cos the friend got someone pregnant and wants to marry them? Have you got any friends?
Re: His Parents Didn't Approve Of His Engagement. Should I Attend As A Friend? by ProtectMyMoney: 11:00pm On Dec 22, 2019
mikezuruki:

Play your own part.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Family Plunge From 4-storey Building In South Korea(Pic) / Facebook Reunites Mum With Missing Son After 3 Years (photo) / Son Pranks His Mother, Tells Her That Their TV Is Touchscreen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.