Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! (91113 Views)

NAFDAC: Mama Put Food Sellers Are NOW Using PARACETAMOL To Cook / Nigerians Use Paracetamol To Cook Meat: Concern As More People Use It / Siji Olamiji And Egbemode: Using Paracetamol, Bleach To Process Garri Is Deadly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Bigval5: 1:59pm On Dec 26, 2019
Not today.. I've heard such.. Just mind how you eat outside that's all. One place is okay so if the problems starts, you know where and what you've eaten

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by tfelicityk(m): 2:00pm On Dec 26, 2019
This is serious... Who brought this idea?
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by DerickCO(m): 2:02pm On Dec 26, 2019
Thanks for this

2 Likes

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by ajalawole(m): 2:03pm On Dec 26, 2019
ZACHIE:
This guys is raising a false alarm
he is saying the truth. I asked from my mum back if people us paracetamol to cook meat, as a caterer she replayed yes that she even use it where she worked.... Am even worried when she told me herself thatched use it. . That mean almost all good vendors or caterer now use it

6 Likes

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 2:03pm On Dec 26, 2019
prof2007:
There are reports of many people (especially food vendors) using paracetamol to cook meat. Their reason for this is to quickly tenderize the meat and avoid long boiling times.

However, putting paracetamol into food has very serious health implications. When the drug is used for cooking, it is hydrolyzed (broken down) into 4-aminophenol, which is highly toxic to the kidney. Also, high consumption of analgesics over many years is a well-known cause of kidney damage.

Paracetamol poisoning usually causes liver failure which may also be accompanied by acute renal failure. High doses of aspirin or paracetamol can cause acute renal failure. Therefore (for health reasons), use of paracetamol for tenderizing meat must be highly discouraged.

Toughness of meat comes from the collagen (the connective tissues). During cooking it slowly breaks down into a substance called gelatin, and the meat becomes soft.

Without using paracetamol, you can tenderize meat by:
1. Cooking with a pressure cooker.
2. Brining (salting). This involves soaking the meat in a highly concentrated salt-water solution, typically for about 20 hours, before cooking.
3. Slicing the meat. This helps to sever muscle fibres and thereby hastens softening while cooking.
4. Pounding meat (e.g. with a mallet) before cooking.
5. Marinating (soaking) with acid in the form of vinegar, citrus juices or wine before cooking.
6. Marinating with enzymes. Pineapple, kiwi, ginger, Asian pear and pawpaw contain enzymes that can help tenderize meat.
7. Velveting the meat. This involves coating/soaking pieces of meat in a mixture of cornstarch, rice wine, salt, sugar, egg whites, and sometimes soy sauce, for about 30-45 minutes before cooking.
8. Slow-cooking the meat.
9. Using commercial meat tenderizers, which are sold in powder or liquid form. They should only be used sparingly, to avoid the meat becoming unpleasantly soft.

If you know anybody that uses paracetamol for softening meat, please advise them to desist forthwith!

This is an original article, published here for the first time.

Wow I've seen a lot of bad things happen in this country but this is the height of it

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by osazsky(m): 2:05pm On Dec 26, 2019
Cant remember last when I bought food from vendors dirty sets of people spits

2 Likes

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Enemyofpeace: 2:06pm On Dec 26, 2019
No wonder the Christmas meet dominique served me at her place was damn two soft for my mouth

Mannabbqgrils will be very guilty of this

2 Likes

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 26, 2019
lol

3 Likes

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by ednut1(m): 2:08pm On Dec 26, 2019
Joke
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 26, 2019
Nigeria is full with Morally bankrupted Ignorant Goons. who would do Anything, I mean, Anything to Achieve their selfish and careless goals.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Kylekent59: 2:10pm On Dec 26, 2019
As from today, henceforth, I will never eat food outside from the one cooked in my house.

Scared thesedays, the length people go to gain customers.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by sayisayi(m): 2:10pm On Dec 26, 2019
[quote author=kollinz1234 With the way I have eating outside this year 2019, am sure I have had a lot of storage things in my belly. Imagine I have not made food by myself for over 8-9 months now[/quote]

grin grin grin

Bros, ur belle needs to be used for research. Belle wey mix toxic compounds and Mama put shortcut produce. Shey your toilet waste glows in the dark?
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Angelinaleo1995: 2:11pm On Dec 26, 2019
Hmm it's hello
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Kasalee001(m): 2:12pm On Dec 26, 2019
It is used to frying generally and the reason is to reduce the rate at which the oil will dry not only meat as opposed to what the OP said however , it is dangerous to the health ..... So all of you that like party meat and fish , road side fried foods , becareful

Healty is wealth
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 2:14pm On Dec 26, 2019
this one is for ppl who are too much addicted eating outside cheesy
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 26, 2019
dominique:
I'm hearing of that for the first time. I know they use potash to quickly soften the meat but I've never heard of paracetamol. That's all shades of wrong. We like taking too many shortcuts in this country
welcome to nigeria cheesy.wen u are in naija be careful in the type of place u eat or buy ur cooked meals cheesy

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 26, 2019
kollinz1234:
Nothing one will not see or hear.
Me I have made up my mind that come 2020 if God keeps me alive, I will not eat outside or in any eatery or restaurant again, thank God am getting married soon. With the way I have eating outside this year 2019, am sure I have had a lot of storage things in my belly. Imagine I have not made food by myself for over 8-9 months now
hope na lady wey sabi cook u wan marry otherwise u guys will be sleeping inside eateries grin grin grin
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 26, 2019
E no concern me. I dont eat animals apart from fishes.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by rusher14: 2:21pm On Dec 26, 2019
And the foolish caterer would say "It would cure your headache".

grin
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Truthbites: 2:22pm On Dec 26, 2019
Nothing Musa nor go see for gate
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Born2Breed(f): 2:23pm On Dec 26, 2019
I thank God say I nor dey kuku eat cow abi na bush or goat meat.

#teamfish and snail.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by onadana: 2:24pm On Dec 26, 2019
Louisananda7:
I don't believe this story, please op you can do better.

I don't believe it too.Never.Social media is becoming a hazard.Now people will experiment it for real.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by puretayo(m): 2:24pm On Dec 26, 2019
I've heard abt this b4. Makes me slow down on eating out. A girl recently advise I used klin detergent to cook egg.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Sirmuel1(m): 2:24pm On Dec 26, 2019
kollinz1234:
Me I have made up my mind that come 2020 if God keeps me alive, I will not eat outside or in any eatery or restaurant again, thank God am getting married soon. With the way I have eating outside this year 2019, am sure I have had a lot of storage things in my belly. Imagine I have not made food by myself for over 8-9 months now

Same here... And it's a shame.

3 Likes

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by CuriousX: 2:25pm On Dec 26, 2019
quaintbloke:
Nigerians and shortcut, na wa for us o. More and more people would come down with kidney problems. On a good day we pop pcm like sweets , now add this one join. Paracetamol shouldn't normally exceed 8 tablets a day else the risk of kidney damage increases.

Potash is equally harmful.
Raises the level of potassium in the blood which could damage the kidneys and also cause a heart condition called cardiomyopathy

How about when potash is used to prepare owo? In other to thicken it, is it harmful? I eat it all the time so i want to know cos plantain and owo is a delicacy in my area
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by GeneralPula: 2:27pm On Dec 26, 2019
I no Dey even chop Meat! cool

This country just get as e be...Naso them spoil lacasera that time!

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by LIMELIGHTCRAZY: 2:28pm On Dec 26, 2019
This sounds so suggestive
Like you want people to now do it ... I am sure you just made more people aware of what to Cook their meat with

Merry Xmas from IG LIMELIGHTNIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by nokatakata: 2:31pm On Dec 26, 2019
Edit topic to Mad people are using panadol to cook meat. Fixed
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by gtown: 2:32pm On Dec 26, 2019
Humphrizy:
There is nothing wey musa no go see for gate undecided
wey chinyere no see for brothel. tongue
though when you see Akpan eyes fill with water, no think sey na wailing. it could be because of smoke wey dey for kitchen. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 26, 2019
kollinz1234:

Good for you.

I had a streak of little more than a year.

Thank God I'm still alive
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by LilSmith55(m): 2:34pm On Dec 26, 2019
dominique:
I'm hearing of that for the first time. I know they use potash to quickly soften the meat but I've never heard of paracetamol. That's all shades of wrong. We like taking too many shortcuts in this country

And Too many shortcuts leads to long cuts

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Coronavirus: 4 New Cases In Lagos, Nigeria Confirmed By State Ministry Of Health / How I Got Infected With HIV / Stretch Marks Removal Procedure Goes Wrong, Lady Cries Out (Graphic Photo, Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.