Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,362 members, 7,819,306 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:06 PM

Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! (91179 Views)

NAFDAC: Mama Put Food Sellers Are NOW Using PARACETAMOL To Cook / Nigerians Use Paracetamol To Cook Meat: Concern As More People Use It / Siji Olamiji And Egbemode: Using Paracetamol, Bleach To Process Garri Is Deadly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by okonja(m): 3:21pm On Dec 26, 2019
Aderewah:
lol. Nigerians like doing foolish things. Thats how some people used salt to bath during ebola without any logical or medical sense.

Nothing foolish about it. When you goto market to buy cow meat parts and unluckily, you get a female one, cooking it with 1or 2 paracetamol tablets is not poisonous because it's not everytime you will buy a female cow meat.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by SimonRose(m): 3:22pm On Dec 26, 2019
Awelle... Na wa oooooh. Nothing John bull no go see for naija.

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Lisaint(m): 3:23pm On Dec 26, 2019
Some people will try it after reading this post

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by executive12: 3:26pm On Dec 26, 2019
Vortex369:
E no concern me. I dont eat animals apart from fishes.

Well I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you have to eat fish in moderation to avoid getting excess MERCURY into your system.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by CuriousX: 3:26pm On Dec 26, 2019
quaintbloke:

I do not know what owo is but adding potash to feeds is a risk to health.
I know farmers routinely add potash or baking soda to palm oil to make it curdle, this also is a health risk and the damage continues to build up overtime.
Nigerians dont routinely do health check up but I would advise that if you are worried about your exposure to potash, do a kidney function test. The level of potassium should normally be between 3.5-5.
Thanks. Owo is a soup usually used to eat starch or plantain. The potash is used to make it thick after adding palm oil. Without potash it will be watery.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by executive12: 3:27pm On Dec 26, 2019
Born2Breed:
I thank God say I nor dey kuku eat cow abi na bush or goat meat.

#teamfish and snail.

Do your fish in moderation to avoid consuming excess mercury.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by executive12: 3:31pm On Dec 26, 2019
juman:
Simply as abc.
Nigerian foods are poisons.

Really? So what food do you eat? American food?
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Born2Breed(f): 3:32pm On Dec 26, 2019
executive12:

Do your fish in moderation to avoid consuming excess mercury.

Una nor go kill person. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Born2Breed(f): 3:36pm On Dec 26, 2019
CuriousX:

Thanks. Owo is a soup usually used to eat starch or plantain. The potash is used to make it thick after adding palm oil. Without potash it will be watery.

Owo and plantain that has been saving lives in Niger-Delta since 1505.

Bros eat your owo n lick hand nor be everyday meal.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by JOSH54: 3:36pm On Dec 26, 2019
Louisananda7:
I don't believe this story, please op you can do better.
its true, i have witness it even some people use ogogoro, since then i dont like eating outside.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by aalangel(f): 3:37pm On Dec 26, 2019
I don't even like soft meat.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Mamakimy97: 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2019
Louisananda7:
I don't believe this story, please op you can do better.
it's not even paracetamol..its panadol..my neighbour does dis shit
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by executive12: 3:41pm On Dec 26, 2019
quaintbloke:

I do not know what owo is but adding potash to feeds is a risk to health.
I know farmers routinely add potash or baking soda to palm oil to make it curdle, this also is a health risk and the damage continues to build up overtime.
Nigerians dont routinely do health check up but I would advise that if you are worried about your exposure to potash, do a kidney function test. The level of potassium should normally be between 3.5-5.

Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate and is different from Potash. It is also used as an antacid. I'm not aware of it being a health risk when used sparingly. It is safely used to soften beans by soaking overnight and washing off the next day. The beans is then parboiled and washed again to remove the harmful pesticides used by farmers to preserve the beans.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by OLULAW: 3:42pm On Dec 26, 2019
Effective Population control and reduction.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by executive12: 3:50pm On Dec 26, 2019
Mamakimy97:
it's not even paracetamol..its panadol..my neighbour does dis shit

Paracetamol and Panadol are the same.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Norland4life(f): 3:52pm On Dec 26, 2019
puretayo:
I've heard abt this b4. Makes me slow down on eating out. A girl recently advise I used klin detergent to cook egg.

People have been using detergent to cook egg for many years,for the egg to be easy to peel,instead of leaving in a cold water for some minutes.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Upoo: 3:52pm On Dec 26, 2019
Ogogoro or kiakia (sapele water) is the best.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Annibiteye: 3:54pm On Dec 26, 2019
achiever1991:
I never heard that before in my life

not new to me , I first heard about it in 2012. Caterers that cooks for large crowd like wedding, burials etc are the ones that uses it most. Although the amount used I learnt is minimal but very effective. Two to three tabs for large pots used in boiling cow meat of medium size.

Two or three tabs can be hazardous for large pot of meat. caterers pls beware
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Mcslize: 3:56pm On Dec 26, 2019
Esseite:
How do you even feel breaking tablets of medicine into your food..

Even if they dont educate you, does it look normal..

That's why all these road sides food sellers are terrible. They will just be cooking rubbish for people to eat. I like preparing my food at home rather than eating out cuz I know most of these food sellers do very dirty things.

Some can even sneeze inside the food they are cooking they will still sell it to people and still rush it. A lot of terrible things occurred during the cooking for most of these road sides food sellers.

We will be eating rubbish in this country nobody cares. Hunger is in the land.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Saint99: 3:59pm On Dec 26, 2019
prof2007:
There are reports of many people (especially food vendors) using paracetamol to cook meat. Their reason for this is to quickly tenderize the meat and avoid long boiling times.

However, putting paracetamol into food has very serious health implications. When the drug is used for cooking, it is hydrolyzed (broken down) into 4-aminophenol, which is highly toxic to the kidney. Also, high consumption of analgesics over many years is a well-known cause of kidney damage.

Paracetamol poisoning usually causes liver failure which may also be accompanied by acute renal failure. High doses of aspirin or paracetamol can cause acute renal failure. Therefore (for health reasons), use of paracetamol for tenderizing meat must be highly discouraged.

Toughness of meat comes from the collagen (the connective tissues). During cooking it slowly breaks down into a substance called gelatin, and the meat becomes soft.

Without using paracetamol, you can tenderize meat by:
1. Cooking with a pressure cooker.
2. Brining (salting). This involves soaking the meat in a highly concentrated salt-water solution, typically for about 20 hours, before cooking.
3. Slicing the meat. This helps to sever muscle fibres and thereby hastens softening while cooking.
4. Pounding meat (e.g. with a mallet) before cooking.
5. Marinating (soaking) with acid in the form of vinegar, citrus juices or wine before cooking.
6. Marinating with enzymes. Pineapple, kiwi, ginger, Asian pear and pawpaw contain enzymes that can help tenderize meat.
7. Velveting the meat. This involves coating/soaking pieces of meat in a mixture of cornstarch, rice wine, salt, sugar, egg whites, and sometimes soy sauce, for about 30-45 minutes before cooking.
8. Slow-cooking the meat.
9. Using commercial meat tenderizers, which are sold in powder or liquid form. They should only be used sparingly, to avoid the meat becoming unpleasantly soft.

If you know anybody that uses paracetamol for softening meat, please advise them to desist forthwith!

This is an original article, published here for the first time.
It can be done as well using Yoghurt.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Annibiteye: 4:01pm On Dec 26, 2019
onadana:

I don't believe it too.Never.Social media is becoming a hazard.Now people will experiment it for real.

it's VERY true.
I've heard of it for like 7years now. it's no longer new to me, most cow meat prepared for wedding receptions and burials by caterers are been cooked with paracetamol tabs. But I was told that they don't need much, just 2 to 3 tabs to a big pot.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by uchennaq(m): 4:05pm On Dec 26, 2019
YEYE DEY SMELL HERE
ABEG DID YOU CHECK THEIR POT OF FOOD TO ENABLE YOU FACILITATE THIS YOUR ACCUSATIONS?
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by juman(m): 4:19pm On Dec 26, 2019
executive12:

Really? So what food do you eat? American food?

All walks of life except nigerian food.
Nigeria is a country without any system.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 4:29pm On Dec 26, 2019
executive12:

Well I don't mean to rain on your parade, but you have to eat fish in moderation to avoid getting excess MERCURY into your system.

Where does the mercury come from friend, I do not eat those imported fishes or even dried fish. I eat only locally grown fresh fish from the local farmers market or point and kill so to speak.
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by RealGOAT: 4:32pm On Dec 26, 2019
aalangel:
I don't even like soft meat.
Are you a Hyena.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by fabolouz1(m): 4:34pm On Dec 26, 2019
People should slow down on patronising restaurants on do more of home cooking.
Society has lost moral values.

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Vokians(m): 4:52pm On Dec 26, 2019
This is strange
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by klax(m): 4:59pm On Dec 26, 2019
onadana:

I don't believe it too.Never.Social media is becoming a hazard.Now people will experiment it for real.

You don't bleive bah Bro better wake up liver or kidney dailies in nja is a death penalty sure bet so you better belief and abstain from roo much road side food. My advise though....
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 26, 2019
executive12:

Baking soda is Sodium Bicarbonate and is different from Potash. It is also used as an antacid. I'm not aware of it being a health risk when used sparingly. It is safely used to soften beans by soaking overnight and washing off the next day. The beans is then parboiled and washed again to remove the harmful pesticides used by farmers to preserve the beans.

Kindly note that I said potash or baking soda so there shouldn't be a question of equating them.
We can list 10 used of sodium bicarbonate but that doesnt make it safe to use in the hands of farmers, most of whom have no formal training in preservation.
We also need to qualify what you mean by "safely used " cos we know many of these stuffs are not regulated. Its like someone telling me that agbo can be safely used to cure pile or hypertension despite knowing that its unrefined and contains lots of impurities which could harm the kidney and liver.
I remember years ago when we used to have 'killer beans', it's not far fetched that preservatives were what was poisonous.
That no one has recently died directly from it doesnt mean its "safe to use" , the damage may be building up only to show in 20yrs .

1 Like

Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Liposure: 5:06pm On Dec 26, 2019
Unbelievable
Re: Many People Are Using Paracetamol To Cook Meat! by Liposure: 5:11pm On Dec 26, 2019
dominique:
I'm hearing of that for the first time. I know they use potash to quickly soften the meat but I've never heard of paracetamol. That's all shades of wrong. We like taking too many shortcuts in this country
sweetheart, merry xmas n happy newyear in advance.may all ur dreams come true.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Renua, Femi Giwa-Amu’s Daughter Commits Suicide After Rape Accusations / Coronavirus: 4 New Cases In Lagos, Nigeria Confirmed By State Ministry Of Health / Stretch Marks Removal Procedure Goes Wrong, Lady Cries Out (Graphic Photo, Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.