Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

Could Women Have Multiple Husbands - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Could Women Have Multiple Husbands (5656 Views)

How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / Can Today's Women Have Successful Careers And Happy Families? / Successful Women Have Plenty Men In Their Lives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by angrynaija: 3:41am On Dec 01, 2010
the issue of multiple wives have been part of the african culture from time. are there cultures in this world where women can have multiple husbands? are there nairalander women out there who might fancy this?
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by Nobody: 3:42am On Dec 01, 2010
angrynaija:

husbands? are there nairalander women out there who might fancy this?
haahaha serious nightmare. If that happend to be the new system, I will just go to sleep forever.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by stranger: 5:03am On Dec 01, 2010
^^^
Why is that?
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by johndoe200: 5:43am On Dec 01, 2010
Having multiple husbands is as old as having multiple wives. It is called Polyandry. In a lot of places where this is practiced the woman marries two or more brothers at the same time and it is sometimes called fraternal polyandry. It is common among the Polynesian people.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by NAJALYN: 3:15pm On Dec 01, 2010
And what is informing that practice, if I may ask. We dont have to import the practice in Polynesia to Nigeria. Presently, women have not totally accented to men having many wives. And now you expect men to accent to women having many husbands? That will never see the light of day. Unless you want to see couples breaking their heads on a daily bases. It is unthinkable. God will never support such evil.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by Outstrip(f): 3:25pm On Dec 01, 2010
johndoe200:

Having multiple husbands is as old as having multiple wives. It is called Polyandry. In a lot of places where this is practiced the woman marries two or more brothers at the same time and it is sometimes called fraternal polyandry. It is common among the Polynesian people.

I saw a documentary on that. The woman in the documentary had many kids and of course nobody knew which of the brothers fathered which. I think this woman had three men though and they lived together
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by johndoe200: 5:52am On Dec 02, 2010
NAJALYN:

And what is informing that practice, if I may ask. We dont have to import the practice in Polynesia to Nigeria. Presently, women have not totally accented to men having many wives. And now you expect men to accent to women having many husbands? That will never see the light of day. Unless you want to see couples breaking their heads on a daily bases. It is unthinkable. God will never support such evil.

It is culturally driven. People can adopt any practice that they feel comfortable with. As for God he already supports this, or do you think that God resides in Nigeria alone?
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by iice(f): 4:30pm On Dec 02, 2010
In theory, yes i want to practice polyandry grin
In reality, no don't think i can. One wahala don do me
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by plappville(f): 10:59pm On Dec 02, 2010
iice:

In theory, yes i want to practice polyandry grin
In reality, no don't think i can. One wahala don do me

So the husband thing na wahala? grin grin grin
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by NAJALYN: 12:09pm On Dec 03, 2010
Quote from:johndoe 200 on yesterday It is culturally driven. People can adopt any practice that they feel comfortable with. As for God he already supports this or do you think that God resides in Nigeria alone? Hi johndoe200. From your analysis, two things came to mind. You are not a Nigerian. Also, you are not a Christian. If you were a Nigerian, and a Christian, you will not encourage women to have many husbands, because this contradicts our cultures, & also, God's commandment. In Nigeria we are a People of diverse cultures. The culture in the North, where the People are predominantly muslims, is different from that of People in the South. Let a woman in the North claim equality with her husband & go running after other men. She will lose her private part, if not her life, & lets see how she can go out with other men. Even in the South where there are more Christians, it is regarded as abomination for a woman to have more than one husband. Women who do that are regarded as whores or prostitutes. No sane woman should indulge in such an evil, abominable act. It is an act of adultery & in Scripture, God said, "Thou shalt not commit adultery." So how does God support it? Of course God is everywhere. Just because God gave us free-will does not mean that He approves of everything we do. We use our free-will to do all sorts of things & we pay dearly for our mistakes, our rebellion. So tell me how does God support such an evil act as a woman marrying many husbands?
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by johndoe200: 2:10pm On Dec 03, 2010
NAJALYN:

Quote from:johndoe 200 on yesterday It is culturally driven. People can adopt any practice that they feel comfortable with. As for God he already supports this or do you think that God resides in Nigeria alone? Hi johndoe200. From your analysis, two things came to mind. You are not a Nigerian. Also, you are not a Christian. If you were a Nigerian, and a Christian, you will not encourage women to have many husbands, because this contradicts our cultures, & also, God's commandment. In Nigeria we are a People of diverse cultures. The culture in the North, where the People are predominantly muslims, is different from that of People in the South. Let a woman in the North claim equality with her husband & go running after other men. She will lose her private part, if not her life, & lets see how she can go out with other men. Even in the South where there are more Christians, it is regarded as abomination for a woman to have more than one husband. Women who do that are regarded as whores or love-peddlers. No sane woman should indulge in such an evil, abominable act. It is an act of adultery & in Scripture, God said, "Thou shalt not commit adultery." So how does God support it? Of course God is everywhere. Just because God gave us free-will does not mean that He approves of everything we do. We use our free-will to do all sorts of things & we pay dearly for our mistakes, our rebellion. So tell me how does God support such an evil act as a woman marrying many husbands?

Sorry to have to correct you, I am a Nigerian. I can see from your post that you are either a semi illiterate or a blind fanatic (I bet you are a "born again" Christain). Look you go on about Nigerian culture and Christianity on the assumption that everyone agrees that these are intrinsically superior to the cultures of other people. Well sorry, I don't agree.

I am not canvassing the introduction of polyandry in Nigeria, but I can appreciate that for those people and in those places where this is their culture there is nothing that makes them the epitome of evil on earth. Nor do I believe that God (theirs or yours) has or will punish them for their culture.

1 Like

Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by iice(f): 8:03am On Dec 05, 2010
plappville:

So the husband thing na wahala? grin grin grin

People na wahala. . .so yes grin
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by Blazay(m): 2:00am On Dec 10, 2010
Women are still looking for one. . . not to mention multiple husbands.
I do not advocate polygamy for males or females.
Extremely tacky.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by InkedNerd(f): 4:44am On Dec 10, 2010
angrynaija:

the issue of multiple wives have been part of the african culture from time. are there cultures in this world where women can have multiple husbands? are there nairalander women out there who might fancy this?

Yes, there are cultures in this world where women have multiple husbands. There is a part of Nepal where women practice polyandry. It has/is currently practiced in some parts of in India, and as johndoe200 in Polynesia, and many more place. Here's a video on polyandry in Nepal >>> http://www.hulu.com/v/185577/national-geographic-travel-multiple-husbands
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by Ninapha(f): 3:16pm On Dec 10, 2010
johndoe200:

johndoe200:

It is culturally driven. People can adopt any practice that they feel comfortable with. As for God he already supports this, or do you think that God resides in Nigeria alone?

I am not suprised! You again?
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by OAM4J: 4:26am On Dec 11, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Yes, there are cultures in this world where women have multiple husbands. There is a part of Nepal where women practice polyandry. It has/is currently practiced in some parts of in India, and as johndoe200 in Polynesia, and many more place. Here's a video on polyandry in Nepal >>> http://www.hulu.com/v/185577/national-geographic-travel-multiple-husbands

The link is not viewable outside US

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4yjrDSvze0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="[/flash]

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7HKmu3eMEk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="[/flash]
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 11, 2010
I understand that some cultures practise this. . . . . very strong women I'd say.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by johndoe200: 12:08pm On Dec 11, 2010
Ninapha:

I am not suprised! You again?

Since you can't apparently read, Those quotes were posted long before the thread was started, but what the hell a dunce will always be a dunce.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by NAJALYN: 12:39am On Dec 13, 2010
Hi johndoe200, your post dated December 03, 2010 states "Sorry to have to correct you, I am a Nigerian. I can see from your post that you are either a semi illiterate or a blind fanatic (I bet you are a "born again" Christian). Look you go on about Nigerian Culture and Christianity on the assumption that everyone agrees that these are intrinsically superior to the cultures of other people. Well sorry, I don't agree. I am not canvassing the introduction of polyandy in Nigeria, but I can appreciate that for those people and in those places where this is their culture, there is nothing that makes them the epitome of evil on earth. Nor do I believe that God (theirs or yours) has or will punish them for their culture." Looking at your posts johndoe200, you are in support of polyandy. So why say you are not canvassing the introduction of polyandy in Nigeria? The fact remains that God MUST punish anyone who goes contrary to his laws, & you can not change that. And for the records, it does not portray you in good light to pour insults on fellow Nairalanders. Responding to your aspersions cast on my person will only make me a worst offender. We are in a forum here, not a battle field. All the best.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by InkedNerd(f): 2:41am On Dec 13, 2010
NAJALYN:

Hi johndoe200, your post dated December 03, 2010 states "Sorry to have to correct you, I am a Nigerian. I can see from your post that you are either a semi illiterate or a blind fanatic (I bet you are a "born again" Christian). Look you go on about Nigerian Culture and Christianity on the assumption that everyone agrees that these are intrinsically superior to the cultures of other people. Well sorry, I don't agree. I am not canvassing the introduction of polyandy in Nigeria, but I can appreciate that for those people and in those places where this is their culture, there is nothing that makes them the epitome of evil on earth. Nor do I believe that God (theirs or yours) has or will punish them for their culture." Looking at your posts johndoe200, you are in support of polyandy. So why say you are not canvassing the introduction of polyandy in Nigeria? The fact remains that God MUST punish anyone who goes contrary to his laws, & you can not change that. And for the records, it does not portray you in good light to pour insults on fellow Nairalanders. Responding to your aspersions cast on my person will only make me a worst offender. We are in a forum here, not a battle field. All the best.

Lmao, let 'em know.

OAM4J:

The link is not viewable outside US

Sorry, I keep forgetting that that site doesn't work outside of the US undecided.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by johndoe200: 5:15am On Dec 13, 2010
NAJALYN:

God MUST punish? Sorry, this is why I said you are a fanatic. Is that casting aspersions? I don't think so.
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by Blazzay: 3:15pm On Jan 28, 2013
Some parts of the world are matrilineal in nature. . . .I don't care for more than one husband.rou
All I want is ONE HUSBAND and a some exes to hook up with once in a while to spice things up! cool
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by tpia1: 2:26am On Aug 18, 2014
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by Kanwulia: 9:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
One husband . . . . . One boyfriend as 'back up plan'! kiss
Re: Could Women Have Multiple Husbands by tpia1: 9:43pm On Aug 18, 2014
Some places do.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Celebrate Easter In Your Family? / The 31 Qualities Of A Total (virtuous) Woman. Dare To Be One! / What Rights Has Your Wife Over Your Mobile Handset Or Vice Versa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.