Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,398 members, 7,815,869 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:53 PM

Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? (1550 Views)

Tinubu To Kashamu: We Are Not In The Same Class; Go, Face Your Charges In US / Fg Drops Charges Against Cheney / Halliburton May Pay $500m To Avert Cheney’s Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Onlytruth(m): 6:05pm On Dec 02, 2010
[size=16pt]Dick Cheney faces bribery scandal charges in Nigeria[/size]

Nigeria's anti-corruption agency is to charge former US Vice-President D. Cheney over a bribery scandal that involves a former subsidiary of energy firm Halliburton.

Agency spokesman Femi Babafemi said that the charges were likely to be brought next week.

The case involves engineering firm KBR, which has admitted bribing officials.

Mr Cheney was Halliburton's chief executive before becoming vice-president to George W Bush in 2001.

Mr Babafemi said the charges were "not unconnected to his role as the chief executive of Halliburton".

KBR last year pleaded guilty to paying $180m (£115m) in bribes to Nigerian officials prior to 2007, when it was a subsidiary of Halliburton. The firm agreed to pay $579m (£372m)in fines related to the case in the US.

But Nigeria, along with France and Switzerland, has conducted its own investigations into the case.

Office raid

The bribes concerned the construction of a liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant in southern Nigeria.

KBR and Halliburton have now split, and Halliburton says it is not connected with the case against KBR.

Halliburton denies involvement in the allegations.

It has complained that a raid on its office last week by Economic and Financial Crimes Commission officials was "an affront against justice".

Ten people were detained for questioning and later released.

A prosecutor quoted by Agence France-Presse news agency said those charged would include former and current leaders of Halliburton and officials from firms in a consortium involved in the LNG plant.

Nigeria is a member of the oil cartel Opec and is one of the world's biggest oil exporters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11902489
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Onlytruth(m): 6:05pm On Dec 02, 2010
I dey laugh o! grin grin
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Tugbaski: 6:07pm On Dec 02, 2010
I follow you laugh too o grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Ibime(m): 6:40pm On Dec 02, 2010
Make I laugh join jor.

Hehehehehehe
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 02, 2010
ROFLMAO

una funny ooo
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by DapoBear(m): 7:01pm On Dec 02, 2010
Why the long wait? undecided The US would have been a lot better off if these charges had been made say in 2002 or 2003.

Oh well, better late than never.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by IbroYaya: 9:38pm On Dec 02, 2010
I dey Laugh o too.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by SapeleGuy: 11:30pm On Dec 02, 2010
Egbewaging of the highest order. These people don chook hand for tortoise nyansh. If you can not control Bayelsa how can you take on the USA?
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Beaf: 12:22am On Dec 03, 2010
If the FG charges Dick Cheney, it would make life so much easier for US prosecutors. The Nigerian end would be likely to be disorganised with thousands of loose ends the FBI can latch unto.

If the prosecution goes ahead, then I wouldn't be quick to laugh. Cheney's arse might just be had. 9ja be like wikileaks o! grin
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by DapoBear(m): 12:35am On Dec 03, 2010
Beaf:

If the prosecution goes ahead, then I wouldn't be quick to laugh. Cheney's arse might just be had. 9ja be like wikileaks o! grin
grin grin grin
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:36am On Dec 03, 2010
this must be the joke of the year. grin
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by SapeleGuy: 12:42am On Dec 03, 2010
Some of our current politicians will have the most to lose from those wikileaks. I can't wait for the expose
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by SapeleGuy: 12:46am On Dec 03, 2010
Some of our current politicians will have the most to lose from those wikileaks. I can't wait for the expose
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Jomogbomo4: 3:03am On Dec 03, 2010
hehe, wht a joke
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by DisGuy: 3:11am On Dec 03, 2010
Agency spokesman Femi Babafemi said that the charges were likely to be brought next week.

why next week?

Why the announcement?

bet someone at the top is looking for a photo-op
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by GAR3TH(m): 3:21am On Dec 03, 2010
nigeria may actually pull it off, or atleast put the U.S.A in an awkward situation. nigeria & the U.S. have an extradition treaty since December 22, 1931. at the same time the U.S. is looking to get the founder of wikileaks. so the U.S.A. cant say yes for the extradition of the wikileaks founder and later say no to nigeria's. in addition nigeria has a strong case against cheney.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Beaf: 3:52am On Dec 03, 2010
GAR3TH:

nigeria may actually pull it off, or atleast put the U.S.A in an awkward situation. nigeria & the U.S. have an extradition treaty since December 22, 1931. at the same time the U.S. is looking to get the founder of wikileaks. so the U.S.A. cant say yes for the extradition of the wikileaks founder and later say no to nigeria's. in addition nigeria has a strong case against cheney.

You will be shocked that they can. There are 3 countries that are "above" the law in todays World, the US, China and Russia.

Any case against Cheney is likely to be done with US say so; its most likely that US authorities want a local outcome from Cheney for which the Nigerian angle is a bargaining chip which will die down once the US has what it wants.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Kobojunkie: 3:54am On Dec 03, 2010
[size=14pt] ROFLMAO!!![/size]
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by GAR3TH(m): 5:14am On Dec 03, 2010
edit wrong vid
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by GAR3TH(m): 5:29am On Dec 03, 2010
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Coolabbie: 8:22am On Dec 03, 2010
grin Dis is one of d reasons i luv our leaders,dey always giv u sumtin 2 laff at. Wat kind of drink/snuff did dey take dat gave dem dis kin of courage? I wonder how Cheney will look in kirikiri anyway.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Beaf: 8:26am On Dec 03, 2010
Can you imagine? Even Nairaland doesn't like the man sef! Ok check na!
manliness  Cheney, manliness  Cheney, manliness  Cheney, manliness  Cheney, manliness  Cheney, manliness  Cheney, manliness  Cheney. . .

Why can't we write D.i.c.k without stress on NL?

Nutin do NL jare! grin grin grin grin grin Carry go! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 8:35am On Dec 03, 2010
wishful thinking

still laffin' grin grin
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by oluwabamis(m): 9:12am On Dec 03, 2010
America will not descend that low to allow her former VP to be extradited to Nigeria. The EFCC itself is a big joke when its comes to taming corruption. I think Madam EFCC should find some other things to while away her time in office. This nation is also a big lie, and sincerity is at an all time low, since indepence
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Boboribo: 9:30am On Dec 03, 2010
Madam EFCC wants DICK chiney badly. Arrest Uduaghan now you wont. When he becomes Gov you'll shouting immunity.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Gbawe: 10:01am On Dec 03, 2010
Ridiculous joke !!! Who have we brought to justice in Nigeria , out of the many suspects , that has now encouraged us to go after Cheney ? Pathetic and clueless Government trying to play to the gallery with another hollow, decietful, diversionary and insincere action.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by homerac7: 10:48am On Dec 03, 2010
I dey laff too ooooo!

Petroleum wey wey get plenty, we dey import am.

Democracy wey we never get, we export am.

Light wey we no get,we dey export.

Now, na to go extradite one ultra powerful foreign don when majority of our vermin natured politicians r strolling free. We no dey knw our garage sha, we sabi point wetin pass us and leave dos ones wey dey for our reach. Mcheeeeew, rubbish!
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by ladi02(m): 10:49am On Dec 03, 2010
Lol. . Babangida is there, EFCC is not after him, they are going to the US for D.Cheney

I like Nigeria jare, its ok for a Nigerian to commit a crime, but a foreigner's company must not try it. .lol at least we are standing for something
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Horus(m): 11:44am On Dec 03, 2010
Bribery of foreign government officials by companies is a federal offense in the US. If the evidence is solid this could result in big problems for D. Cheney.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 03, 2010
This is going to be very interesting!. Imagine EFCC issuing warrant for former US V.P. Well, our corrupt politicians will be at the receiving end; they will now be hounded in a ti.t for tat backlash by US authorities. Its a win-win situation for Nigeria!
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by Kobojunkie: 3:47pm On Dec 03, 2010
Another waste of our time and our money, in my opinion.
Re: Halliburton: D. Cheney Faces Bribery Scandal Charges In Nigeria ? by OmoTier1(m): 4:01pm On Dec 03, 2010
Honestly when I first read this story on POLITICO I said to my self , I dey laugh oh! But in the last 2hrs since the new broke, it is beginning to look like this is not a joke after all. This is a calculated persecution by EFCC as both France and Switzerland are currently at the verge of concluding their investigations and possibly taking Haliburton and Cheney to court!

Maybe EFCC can reach a plea bargain in excess of £.5bn (x times the size of the bribe given) and if I was GEJ, I would use that money to flag of the East-West road in Niger Delta cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is The Army Coming Back? / Bola Ahmed Tinubu Is God? / Fran

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.