Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,029 members, 7,818,036 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) (84641 Views)

How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Wheel Bearing / What Is D Difference Between Alignment And Wheel Balancing / Is It Compulsory To Do Wheel Balancing And Alignment After Tyre Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by BigIyanga: 5:47am On Jan 05, 2020
SegunAj:

LOCATION @
A.Y.M Shafa if i am not mistaking
What happened there?
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by BigIyanga: 5:54am On Jan 05, 2020
iomoge2:

I have a question
My tire ran out of air
I used spare n on getting to the wheel balancing man. He showed me two nails had punctured my tires
He billed me 1k per nail to remove n fix
Then 1000 to pump all 4 tires to standard size of 45

My question is I fell cheated
Do they charge per nail?
To pump tire used to be 50naira why did he charge me 250each
Pls note that I haven’t done this in a while n husbandman is not reachable on phone.
You were not cheated. Tire patching or plugging is per spot which requires a patch/insert/cement/labour per spot

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by Nobody: 6:59am On Jan 05, 2020
iomoge2:

I have a question
My tire ran out of air
I used spare n on getting to the wheel balancing man. He showed me two nails had punctured my tires

Do they charge per nail?
Pls note that I haven’t done this in a while n husbandman is not reachable on phone.

The tire shop I use charges the same amount for every nail they remove while tire inflation is free. It's part of the package.

If you used a road side vulcanizer, then I expect it to be cheaper than that.
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by keemi(m): 7:51am On Jan 05, 2020
iomoge2:

I have a question
My tire ran out of air

Do they charge per nail?

Standard lagos price for pumping is 200 per tyre. As for the nail, you can negotiate. Mainly between 700 -1000.
Nobody has mentioned Winda.
I noticed its widely used in kano
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by radautoworks: 8:26am On Jan 05, 2020
iomoge2:

I have a question
My tire ran out of air

Do they charge per nail?

45 What on Earth do you drive!!?
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by uboma(m): 8:50am On Jan 05, 2020
radautoworks:

45 What on Earth do you drive!!?

Lol
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by lilkech(m): 9:07am On Jan 05, 2020
Please 2004 accord i4 wobbles/vibrates only while accelerating from 80kmph to 100kmph. While I’m within that speed range if I take my foot off the throttle pedal the vibration stops. Please what might be the issue with the car?

Also my steering pulls slightly to the right hand side while in motion

Piyke
adanny01
thebigkendo
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 05, 2020
lilkech:
Please 2004 accord i4 wobbles/vibrates only while accelerating from 80kmph to 100kmph. While I’m within that speed range if I take my foot off the throttle pedal the vibration stops. Please what might be the issue with the car?

Piyke
adanny01
thebigkendo

Check your cv axles. Especially the inner joint. Its usually called inner shaft cup.

2 Likes

Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by adanny01(m): 9:33am On Jan 05, 2020
rationalmind:

Check your cv axles. Especially the inner joint. Its usually called inner shaft cup.

lilkech

Do as advised.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by lilkech(m): 12:33pm On Jan 05, 2020
Okay thanks
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by Piyke: 12:48pm On Jan 05, 2020
thebigkendo:

It might have been over inflated or under inflated .. Did you also check the tire ratings? Overloading?
Maybe the owners has been entering pot holes at high speed and the tire has deformed.. So many other factors could have caused the blow out..

Your hypothesis is just like police not investigating a "suicide" because obviously the person was hanging from a rope & a stool was pushed.. Forgetting that it could have murder which was staged to look like suicide grin grin

I personally don't subscribe to the 4 years tire expiry thingie

It could have definitely come from any of the bold. How about no tire rotation since original installation cheesy. Only saying that if you subject 2 tires of the same make (brand new and an aged one) to these same stresses, I would expect the 'aged' one to fail first ceteris paribus

To your second point, I don't agree tires expire after 4 years either. My reference to changing my tires every 4 years or at the signs of structural failure (whichever comes first) is just personal practice. What I don't recommend is using thread wear as the sole indicator for when to replace a tire.
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by thebigkendo(m): 1:29pm On Jan 05, 2020
Piyke:

It could have definitely come from any of the bold. How about no tire rotation since original installation cheesy. Only saying that if you subject 2 tires of the same make (brand new and an aged one) to these same stresses, I would expect the 'aged' one to fail first ceteris paribus

To your second point, I don't agree tires expire after 4 years either. My reference to changing my tires every 4 years or at the signs of structural failure (whichever comes first) is just personal practice. What I don't recommend is using thread wear as the sole indicator for when to replace a tire.

I am guilty at the bolded grin grin grin
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by thebigkendo(m): 1:37pm On Jan 05, 2020
lilkech:

Piyke
adanny01
thbigkendo

Check your CV axles aka shaft grin
Also go for alignment & balancing then check your brake rotors..
If I were in your shoes.. I will eliminate from the easier..
-Check tires for roundness
-balancing and alignment
-Brake rotor
-Then CV axles and other suspensions parts.. Tie rods, linkages, ball joints etc

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by Gee64: 2:00pm On Jan 05, 2020
Wheel-barrow tyre nko? grin
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by Piyke: 2:09pm On Jan 05, 2020
lilkech:

Piyke
adanny01
thebigkendo

I have nothing more to add to the recommended.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by Leo3333: 2:54pm On Jan 05, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

I’ve ran a lot of Kuhmos over the years in the USA. Excellent lower priced tires.

This was in the USA where standards are set and products tested.

I love Kuhmos.

Thanks.
I've never had any issue with Kuhmo.

1 Like

Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by Legendguru: 6:18pm On Jan 05, 2020
Hmmmm
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by 9icetoo(m): 6:44pm On Jan 05, 2020
clemzo101:
may your famy members were just lucky. My tyres carry 2017 date nd as at 2019, they have all deformed such that my car started jumping and started giving me a bumby ride, my anger is that, the thing made me spend changing parts that were fine, my mechanic kept diagnosing different things until I discovered it myself. I have promised myself that if I do not have money to buy brand new continental, Michelin tyres and other good brands then I will buy the Belgium. I have 3 Belgium Michelin tyres now and I'm happy with them
Had same experience with double kind three years ago. Never again. Out of four, two went out of round in three months and that was without highway travel.
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by 9icetoo(m): 6:46pm On Jan 05, 2020
thebigkendo:

Does your trusted friend know you?
You like wahalla sha. grin. This is 2020.
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by 9icetoo(m): 6:50pm On Jan 05, 2020
staga:
It is very hot at this time of the year in Abuja. If you drive a lot, the heat from the paved roads will expand the air in the tires. Old tires will not withstand the stress for long. New tires will need to be pumped with air at less than the recommended tire pressure.

Very very interesting. Care to share which tyre or tire (whatever rocks the boat) manufacturer recommended this?
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by thebigkendo(m): 7:04pm On Jan 05, 2020
9icetoo:

You like wahalla sha. grin. This is 2020.

Somebody cannot ask question again?
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by clemzo101(m): 7:33pm On Jan 05, 2020
9icetoo:

Had same experience with double kind three years ago. Never again. Out of four, two went out of round in three months and that was without highway travel.
just imagine
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by LeJeun3: 12:32am On Jan 06, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
There’s no such thing as a good quality Chinese tire, my personal opinion.

Don’t be surprised if those tires were even bought used. I’m not sure why folks buy used tires. Yes, I’m aware of the economy but if one has ever had a blowout on high speed then they’ll think twice.

I bought two Firestone Destination A/T last week for N100K, I could have bought other brands for N35K but my life depends on my tires. Too much riding on it to take chances.

Well used tires aren't always in the worst conditions. For people who own cars with 19" rims and upwards get cheap original tires is a real pocket hammer.... last time I bought new tires for my 22" set me back about N120K for each tire...

Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by EgunMogaji2: 3:46am On Jan 06, 2020
LeJeun3:

Well used tires aren't always in the worst conditions. For people who own cars with 19" rims and upwards get cheap original tires is a real pocket hammer.... last time I bought new tires for my 22" set me back about N120K for each tire...

I don’t compromise on safety and I have no “automotive” respect for anyone that uses used tires. I’ve ran 22s before so I know about cost.

Safety first.
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by Quorax: 5:42am On Jan 06, 2020
Evangkatsoulis:

How much?
Do have for size 47/48. Type that can fit a black suit/jacket.
Dude what the fork is wrong with you? Is it not yet time you stop this fraud you have been engage in.

Since you have refused to listen I will dedicate my time this year to expose you and warn other nairaland members.

Stupid imp. Don't go look for a job.

You think. I don't know you?
Re: What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) by alphanyx: 8:28am On Jan 06, 2020
Please I seek same tyres. Firestone destination le2 245/55/19.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Thread For Volvo Car Owners/lovers / Funny Number Plate Seen On A Highway In Afghanistan (Photo) / Best Cars For First Timers With Budget Of Less Than 1m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.