Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,265 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:43 AM

What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? (21173 Views)

What Can He Study With This JAMB Score? / Can I Study Doctor In OAU With 106 JAMB Score?: Guy Asks; Gets Hilarious Replies / Is This The Highest Score So Far At The Ongoing Jamb?… Checkout This Jamb Score (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Kenneth10110(m): 10:19pm On Jan 05, 2020
I made sure i knew everything about the jamb english textbook then went to past questions. Also read massively two day to your exam and the best of all pray for Gods grace it helped me a lot. Good luck to you
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by trilacos: 10:30pm On Jan 05, 2020
H
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Greatfullheart: 10:40pm On Jan 05, 2020
shilenji:
he glanced through textbook is different from he read through textbook

you meant glanced there is no way you READ and you get below 250
during my time I was only able to read chemistry ND biology through and I negleted eng ND physics due to laziness but reading those two alone got me above 280, so my bro read to understand and ask questions, if you are writing biology ND chemistry, I am willing to help you, not expo o I mean if you have any topic you don't understand ask me I will explain and I will also teach you how to answer jamb questions reach me 09073004838
I ALSO WANT WRITE JAMB I NEED YOUR HELP
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by paul100(m): 10:45pm On Jan 05, 2020
FlordFlorez:
Well both aren't strong enough. Glancing through a textbook is not exam friendly. Reading is meant for genius or those that had studied hard before. They just want to update their head and in the process they might get new things or new way to get what they already had. Finally, studying is met for those that practically have no knowledge about the subject matter or those that want high score/result of the subject matter at the end of the exam. Me as an example, i started my reading on 02/01/2020 with Biology. I made sure i read atleast 3-4 topics per day. Today, im at topic 11, Cell and its structure. I plan to finish Biology by next week. Remember, i read and not study cause i already know what im reading. I'm only undating them.
Bro how did read per day that you are able to cover 3 to 4 topics because my bro will use 5days to cover this.God help my brother ooo
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by tititaiwo44(f): 10:48pm On Jan 05, 2020
Then, I had a very limited time, so I practiced past questions, and ensured i followed through with my textbooks. But basically, it was the past questions that helped.

The result was quite good, I had 262. Just ensure you study to understand, doing this can never leave you stranded.
Success in your exams!
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by collinometricx: 11:03pm On Jan 05, 2020
Downloaded jamb scheme of work for the 4 subjects I enrolled, and I took time in reading them...

Boom I passed on first trial and now I'm graduate....
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Morris2967(m): 11:06pm On Jan 05, 2020
[quote author=16yearsold post=85505616]I am yet to write my JAMB but some kind of fear has gotten to me, due to the bad stories I heard from past jamb participants.

I was planning to read through the textbooks but a friend of mine who also Read through His textbook could only archive a score of 183 and he is intelligent, some also said jamb is Hard.

So I Will like advice from old jambites to please give me advice to archive a high jamb score. My school of choice is UNIBEN (Computer Engineering).
I practically read 2pm until 6am reading
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Loris576(m): 11:08pm On Jan 05, 2020
ABCthings:
Were you the best in your school?cheesy
Yes sir
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by SeaUrchin(f): 11:12pm On Jan 05, 2020
16yearsold:
I am yet to write my JAMB but some kind of fear has gotten to me, due to the bad stories I heard from past jamb participants.

I was planning to read through the textbooks but a friend of mine who also Read through His textbook could only archive a score of 183 and he is intelligent, some also said jamb is Hard.

So I Will like advice from old jambites to please give me advice to archive a high jamb score. My school of choice is UNIBEN (Computer Engineering).

Jamb is not hard...
I will advise you to not believe the bad talk people have about the exam...
Jamb has different experience for different people. I also had similar fears when preparing for mine in 2018,what helped me was prayer, reading of textbooks and past questions...
Well I did not really base all my efforts on the past questions, but on the textbook.
Also be a source of inspiration to yourself, motivate yourself l, stay true to yourself. People always have bad things to say about everything in life, you just have chose what you believe
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by harrend(m): 12:48am On Jan 06, 2020
if u must strive to get high score at this time, just leave the known and go for the unkown. and one major key to passing exams is knowing their format- study past questions extensively... there are paticular kind of questions jamb asks? Try to know them..questions that doesnt require stress..in maths dont border studying quadratic equations and the rest..jamb would hardly ask questions that require calculator..And one more thing-be smart in the exam hall, maximize time,dont ponder on questions you dont know..and try to use the keyboard instead of mouse tnx
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by sarcasticlala(m): 1:09am On Jan 06, 2020
I had 296 when I wrote jamb last year, and I'm currently a student of unilag, and I'll share with you the strategy I used last year.
Firstly last year was the 2nd time I wrote jamb and after I scored 232 in the frost year, people I met made me believe the only difference between me and those that score 300+, is the level of hard work, dedication and strategy

So the second time I studied for jamb, I started studying before the sales of registration forms were announced, I started reading very early, it gave me about 4 months(thanks to ASUU strike tho).

At first I started reading organic chemistry, because that was my most challenging topic of all 4 subjects, but then I realized I had made a mistake when I saw the actual jamb syllabus.

A popular misconception many students have is that the syllabus contains all the topics in the text book. That is absolutely wrong

So the first thing I want to tell you is to study what is in the syllabus only.

The second thing I did was to get four 60 leave exercise books. Each notebook for the different 4 subjects I offered.

Afterwards I started from the scratch in all subjects regardless of whether I know it or not, I designated each day for one specific subject, and studied at any free time I had.

Whenever I finish studying a topic I would form a note, with what I knew and remembered, without using the textbook.
Note: I only wrote down what I considered important and a potential question I jamb.

Afterwards I would attempt the questions in the textbook without checking for the solutions at the back.

I'd do this for all topics in accordance with how it's arranged in the syllabus.

Note: this is not the time to solve past questions, now is the time to understand all your topics from the scratch. You should only use past questions to test your self on certain topics you just covered, if you do it this way, by the time you're done with the syllabus, you'll be able to score 80% in each subject.

I would have had 300+, but I overlooked English and biology, the only real effort I put in studying for eng exam was reading the novel I was given(sweet sixteen), and biology? Well I didn't have a good textbook to study for biology.

SOME ADVISES I HAVE FOR YOU AND OTHER JAMBITES ARE:
1.DON'T BE IN A HASTE, READ TO UNDERSTAND, THERE'S NO POINT IN STUDYING FOR JAMB WHEN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE TOPIC

2. USE JAMB'S SYLLABUS, DON'T READ WHAT THEY DIDN'T ASK YOU TO READ YOU'LL ONLY WASTE YOUR TIME.

3. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, 5IMES WILL COME WHEN YOU WILL DOUBT YOURSELF, BUT IF YOU DID EVERYTHING I SAID, YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT PATH.

4. DO NOT OVERLOOK ANY SUBJECT/TOPIC BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU ALREADY KNOW IT OR IT'S TOO EASY. I WOULD HAVE SCORED OVER 300 INSTEAD OF 296 IF I HADN'T OVERLOOKED ENG & BIO. I GAINED REDEMPTION IN MY POST UTME THO, I READ FOR ENGLISH THIS TIME AROUND AND I HAD 27 OUT OF 30 QUESTIONS IN UNILAG'S POST UTME.

5. READ THE NOVEL GIVEN TO YOU BY JAMB, ATLEAST TWICE, THE FIRST TIME IS WHEN YOU FIRST GET IT, THEN THE SECOND OR LAST TIME SHOULD BE ATMOST 7 DAYS TO YOUR EXAM TO KEEP THE STORY FRESH I MIND.

6. QUIT SOCIAL MEDIA AND GAMES , IT'S A TIME KILLER, IF YOU CAN'T RESIST, ALLOCATED AT MOST ONE HOUR SPREAD ACROSS 24hrs IN A DAY FOR IT.

7. READ DAY AND NIGHT, THE BRAIN IS CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING BOTH DAY AND NIGHT, CLAIMING TO BE A DAY OR NIGHT READER IS JUST A LAZY EXCUSE.

8. SLEEP AT LEAST 5 HOURS A DAY, YOUR SLEEP IS IMPORTANT FOR YOUR BRAIN HEALTH. ESPECIALLY THE DAY OF YOUR EXAM

9. USE THESE TEXTBOOKS - JAMB'S USE OF ENGLISH INVINCIBLE TEACHER AND A-Z IN JAMB'S USE OF ENGLISH, TO STUDY FOR YOUR ENGLISH, THEY WILL GUARANTEE YOU 80+ POINTS IN JAMB, THAT'S WHAT I USED TO STUDY FOR MY POST UTME.

10. PRAY TO GOD EVERY DAY AND ASK FOR DIVINE WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING AND MENTAL RETENTION SO THAT TO CAN ANSWER THE QUESTIONS CORRECTLY ON THE EXAM DAY.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by 0monnak0da: 1:31am On Jan 06, 2020
Set a Goal
How much do you want to score
Aim high
JAMB is competitive and requires hard work.
Get the Syllabus.
Study every single topic in your Syllabus at least 2 times using standard text books
Use text books that have questions and master every single one I think you need to do this at least twice covering the entire textbooks cover to cover.
You will need to study for at least 8 months about 4 hours a day depending on your level this could be up to 2years.
It takes focus on your goal and determination
After that you need to study past questions. At least 8 year's questions
When I say study that means for 10 years past questions you Must know them all inside out every single one

Finally you need to practice past questions with time .
Aim to practice for 10 minutes less than normal.

Many people who follow this score over 300
My only surprise was I didn't score 400
Even now I still don't get it.

Summary set your goal e.g to score not less than 300
Remind yourself of your goal daily and let that motivate you
Identify price= eg study 4 hours every day for 12 month
Past questions are crucial. Master them

Are you willing to pay the price?
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by bensongift: 2:23am On Jan 06, 2020
Here is the only guaranteed way to pass Jamb Successfully and have a great score https://triplegltd1.com/how-to-pass-jamb-2020-the-best-guarantee-way-to-pass-jamb-successful/
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by darepapi: 2:23am On Jan 06, 2020
First and foremost.
Have confidence in yourself.
Get nice textbooks and past questions.
Then read textbook from chapter 1 to the last chapter and solve all past questions.

NOTE: TAKE NOTE OF EVERY SINGLE DETAIL IN THE TEXTBOOK! JAMB just want to test your level of understanding.
cool
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Oriolajuwon(m): 3:09am On Jan 06, 2020
good day please help an undergraduate project work by filling this survey for just two minutes https://forms.gle/9o3HP5cyBHAg2vNi7
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by shilenji(m): 4:06am On Jan 06, 2020
themaestro08:

This kind gesture is outstanding.
You deserve a standing ovation.
thanks
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by shilenji(m): 4:07am On Jan 06, 2020
Greatfullheart:
I ALSO WANT WRITE JAMB I NEED YOUR HELP
come in
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by tobillionaire(m): 8:52am On Jan 06, 2020
16yearsold:
I am yet to write my JAMB but some kind of fear has gotten to me, due to the bad stories I heard from past jamb participants.

. Use past questions, support the questions you don't know with textbooks
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Abidek900(m): 9:47am On Jan 06, 2020
You don't need to panic if you were the one that did your o'level and passed it. What i'll advise you to do is that:
1. Threat past questions
2. Attend tutorial
3. And pray.

talking from experience, before i did my utme then (2017), i wrote jamb mock without reading and scored 272. Funny enough, i started reading for the real utme and ended up scoring 226. The mock exam was more difficult than the real exam but the results were funny...
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by 16yearsold: 10:21am On Jan 06, 2020
sarcasticlala:
I had 296 when I wrote jamb last year, and I'm currently a student of unilag, and I'll share with you the strategy I used last year.
Firstly last year was the 2nd time I wrote jamb and after I scored 232 in the frost year, people I met made me believe the only difference between me and those that score 300+, is the level of hard work, dedication and strategy

So the second time I studied for jamb, I started studying before the sales of registration forms were announced, I started reading very early, it gave me about 4 months(thanks to ASUU strike tho).

At first I started reading organic chemistry, because that was my most challenging topic of all 4 subjects, but then I realized I had made a mistake when I saw the actual jamb syllabus.

A popular misconception many students have is that the syllabus contains all the topics in the text book. That is absolutely wrong

So the first thing I want to tell you is to study what is in the syllabus only.

The second thing I did was to get four 60 leave exercise books. Each notebook for the different 4 subjects I offered.

Afterwards I started from the scratch in all subjects regardless of whether I know it or not, I designated each day for one specific subject, and studied at any free time I had.

Whenever I finish studying a topic I would form a note, with what I knew and remembered, without using the textbook.
Note: I only wrote down what I considered important and a potential question I jamb.

Afterwards I would attempt the questions in the textbook without checking for the solutions at the back.

I'd do this for all topics in accordance with how it's arranged in the syllabus.

Note: this is not the time to solve past questions, now is the time to understand all your topics from the scratch. You should only use past questions to test your self on certain topics you just covered, if you do it this way, by the time you're done with the syllabus, you'll be able to score 80% in each subject.

I would have had 300+, but I overlooked English and biology, the only real effort I put in studying for eng exam was reading the novel I was given(sweet sixteen), and biology? Well I didn't have a good textbook to study for biology.

SOME ADVISES I HAVE FOR YOU AND OTHER JAMBITES ARE:
1.DON'T BE IN A HASTE, READ TO UNDERSTAND, THERE'S NO POINT IN STUDYING FOR JAMB WHEN YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE TOPIC

2. USE JAMB'S SYLLABUS, DON'T READ WHAT THEY DIDN'T ASK YOU TO READ YOU'LL ONLY WASTE YOUR TIME.

3. BELIEVE IN YOURSELF, 5IMES WILL COME WHEN YOU WILL DOUBT YOURSELF, BUT IF YOU DID EVERYTHING I SAID, YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT PATH.

4. DO NOT OVERLOOK ANY SUBJECT/TOPIC BECAUSE YOU THINK YOU ALREADY KNOW IT OR IT'S TOO EASY. I WOULD HAVE SCORED OVER 300 INSTEAD OF 296 IF I HADN'T OVERLOOKED ENG & BIO. I GAINED REDEMPTION IN MY POST UTME THO, I READ FOR ENGLISH THIS TIME AROUND AND I HAD 27 OUT OF 30 QUESTIONS IN UNILAG'S POST UTME.

5. READ THE NOVEL GIVEN TO YOU BY JAMB, ATLEAST TWICE, THE FIRST TIME IS WHEN YOU FIRST GET IT, THEN THE SECOND OR LAST TIME SHOULD BE ATMOST 7 DAYS TO YOUR EXAM TO KEEP THE STORY FRESH I MIND.

6. QUIT SOCIAL MEDIA AND GAMES , IT'S A TIME KILLER, IF YOU CAN'T RESIST, ALLOCATED AT MOST ONE HOUR SPREAD ACROSS 24hrs IN A DAY FOR IT.

7. READ DAY AND NIGHT, THE BRAIN IS CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING BOTH DAY AND NIGHT, CLAIMING TO BE A DAY OR NIGHT READER IS JUST A LAZY EXCUSE.

8. SLEEP AT LEAST 5 HOURS A DAY, YOUR SLEEP IS IMPORTANT FOR YOUR BRAIN HEALTH. ESPECIALLY THE DAY OF YOUR EXAM

9. USE THESE TEXTBOOKS - JAMB'S USE OF ENGLISH INVINCIBLE TEACHER AND A-Z IN JAMB'S USE OF ENGLISH, TO STUDY FOR YOUR ENGLISH, THEY WILL GUARANTEE YOU 80+ POINTS IN JAMB, THAT'S WHAT I USED TO STUDY FOR MY POST UTME.

10. PRAY TO GOD EVERY DAY AND ASK FOR DIVINE WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE, UNDERSTANDING AND MENTAL RETENTION SO THAT TO CAN ANSWER THE QUESTIONS CORRECTLY ON THE EXAM DAY.
Thanks for the advice,
But whenever I read chemistry I find it difficult to understand
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by sarcasticlala(m): 10:37am On Jan 06, 2020
16yearsold:

Thanks for the advice,
But whenever I read chemistry I find it difficult to understand
Start reading from the first page in your textbook, if you read it, you know it.

First time I wrote jamb I had 53, the second time I had 82, which was my highest score, chemistry was my worst subject in secondary school, all you need to do is to start with the basics

1 Like

Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Esosafun(m): 10:52am On Jan 06, 2020
If u were half-serious in sec.sch(like 50%)...u go pass no fear........u can't read all you wanna read and pass..and brahh UNIBEN??..rethink your life!!!
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by oloworisedeji12(m): 12:36pm On Jan 06, 2020
Wen u get to the exam hall, u answer d simplest subject first, then, answer d next simplest till u answer the whole subjects... Don't go and pick the hardest one(subject) first, cos it's might corrupt ur reservoir.

1 Like

Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by FlordFlorez(m): 12:59pm On Jan 06, 2020
paul100:

Bro how did read per day that you are able to cover 3 to 4 topics because my bro will use 5days to cover this.God help my brother ooo
Bro, everybody no get same time. That my per day is not fully dedicated to reading. I do other things. Likeh i am currently working in RUGIPO ICT for my IT programme.
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Kayla05: 5:18pm On Jan 06, 2020
I scored 317 in 2018/2019 jamb.
I would first advise you to download jamb syllabus and use it while reading, it will really help you.

You will also need to get really good textbooks while studying and these are the textbooks I used while studying;
English - invisible teacher ( I can't remember the authors name)
Physics- new school physics and a textbook purely for calculations
Chemistry - Ababio and Essential chemistry
Biology - college biology by Idodo Umeh

My plan back then, was to read Monday - Friday and then Saturday and Sunday was purely for past questions and this method worked fine for me.

Irrespective of what everyone is saying, please don't neglect your past questions, it worked for me. chemistry was my problem while reading for jamb, so I gave it more attention and answered more past questions on it. I can boldly tell you that I studied my chemistry past questions from 1978- 2015 and I understood the pattern and knew what to look out for while reading. I had 89 in chemistry

Then for English, that textbook invisible teacher is really good, people who have used it can attest to this. While studying English, I would advise you use a dictionary along side, so that you will not just cram the words you do not understand, but know what they mean. please, do not forget to look at the English past questions. sometimes questions are repeated.

Biology- follow the syllabus while reading for biology and try as much as you can to understand what you are reading, it will help you alot.

physics- I just have to be honest, I did not put in much effort here. I read a little bit and solved some past questions. also remember that Jamb's calculator is not what you should rely on to solve some physics questions.

While writing the exam (jamb) start with a subject you think it's easy for you to avoid time wastage. I started with Biology, moved down to English, chemistry and then physics. Also learn how to work with time, the questions you are not sure of, you can Skip them and remember to come back and answer them.

I wish you all the best..

1 Like

Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Czartega(m): 5:21pm On Jan 06, 2020
shilenji:
he glanced through textbook is different from he read through textbook

you meant glanced there is no way you READ and you get below 250
during my time I was only able to read chemistry ND biology through and I negleted eng ND physics due to laziness but reading those two alone got me above 280, so my bro read to understand and ask questions, if you are writing biology ND chemistry, I am willing to help you, not expo o I mean if you have any topic you don't understand ask me I will explain and I will also teach you how to answer jamb questions reach me 09073004838

lie lie jamb that is total of 400, but two subjects got you 280! haba mana! were you scoring bonus points?
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by TerryMcGinis(m): 5:55pm On Jan 06, 2020
shilenji:
I am open to all me myself I am learning through it
thanks would chat u up
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by shilenji(m): 6:17pm On Jan 06, 2020
Czartega:

lie lie jamb that is total of 400, but two subjects got you 280! haba mana! were you scoring bonus points?
guy calm down wat I mean is those two subjects got me the highest marks. take chill pill o
Re: What Reading Strategy Did You Use To Achieve Your JAMB Score? by Loris576(m): 7:12am On Mar 24, 2020
ABCthings:
Were you the best in your school?cheesy
Yea

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UI Medical Students Sleepover Outside The School After Being Evicted From Hostel / 10 Reasons Why Nigerians FAIL In Their Scholarship Applications / In Memory Of The Aluu Four Boys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.