Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,983 members, 7,825,063 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology (3387 Views)

Damilola Olakanmi, Nigerian Law Student Dies In UK After Eating Cannabis Sweet / Noble Eyisi Graduates With 1st Class In The UK After Suspension From UNIZIK / Noble Chibueze Eyisi Graduates With First Class In UK After UNIZIK Suspension (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Nobody: 4:49am On Jan 05, 2020
Happy new year all.

Please is there anyone here who have gotten admission to study nursing in the UK from Nigeria with a first degree in another subject area? I need help.

I already have a degree in Microbiology and I have more than six years experience working in the Lab, but I want to switch to Nursing. I have seen schools online offering Nursing Preregistration (Msc) for people who already have a degree in a different area other than nursing.

Unfortunately, one of the prerequisites is that one must have an experience in health care industry which you must add to your portfolio. Please is there anyone who has been successful with his/her application from Nigeria?

Please, how did you go about it?

*Some of the schools I have seen are University of Derby, Bedfordshire, Plymouth, Herdfordshire, etc.

1 Like

Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by FlordFlorez(m): 6:13am On Jan 05, 2020
Well, you have to wait for those that matter to give u guide. But why not go for medical scientist since ur microbiology is more related to it.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 05, 2020
Like I said, I'm changing careers. Med Lab is still the same. I wouldn't be considering it. My mind is on nursing and nursing related careers.

FlordFlorez:
Well, you have to wait for those that matter to give u guide. But why not go for medical scientist since ur microbiology is more related to it.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 9:14am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:
Like I said, I'm changing careers. Med Lab is still the same. I wouldn't be considering it. My mind is on nursing and nursing related careers.

Microbiology doesn't come close to Medical Laboratory Science...
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 9:16am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:

Meanwhile which Uni over there are you applying?
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Nobody: 9:35am On Jan 05, 2020
I haven't applied to any yet though I'm looking at Univ of Bedfordshire, Derby and Herdfordshir as their programmes are open to international students and are most affordable too.

Quelme:
Meanwhile which Uni over there are you applying?
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 05, 2020
Medical microbiology is a branch of medical Laboratory. I have worked in the Lab for quite a while too. So they are very much related.

quote author=Quelme post=85515677]Microbiology doesn't come close to Medical Laboratory Science... [/quote]
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 9:55am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:
Medical microbiology is a branch of medical Laboratory. I have worked in the Lab for quite a while too. So they are very much related.

quote author=Quelme post=85515677]Microbiology doesn't come close to Medical Laboratory Science...
There's nothing like Medical Microbiology as a course (first degree) except in PGD. Medical Laboratory Science is 5years plus 1 year paid internship before NYSC, okay (7years in total barring strike, lose of accreditation or failure to pass first and second professional exams)

Haematology and blood serology
Histopathology
Chemical pathology
Medical Microbiology
Are all area of specialization in the Medical Laboratory Science profession.

You have to be a licensed Medical Laboratory Scientist to practice for which MLSCN is the regulatory body.

2 Likes

Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 10:06am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:
I haven't applied to any yet though I'm looking at Univ of Bedfordshire, Derby and Herdfordshir as their programmes are open to international students and are most affordable too.

You find MLS wannabes like SLT, Microbiologist, Biochemist who wants to work in an hospital laboratory doesn't make them MLS and never will, you know why? Because the job description and roles are entirely different.

How many MLS wannabes can successfully carry out Microtomy in the histology lab?

How many can successfully carry out LFT, hormonal assay, E/U/Cr test in the chemical pathology lab?

Or read culture plate, process CSF samples successfully in the Microbiology lab?

Not to talk of blood typing, grouping and cross matching or patient bleeding using vacutainers?
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 10:10am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:

Since it's affordable by your standard, it is OK to give it a try.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 05, 2020
You seem to think this thread is about comparing MLS to MCB and others. All you know about Mcb is about the medical aspect. It seems you don't know mcb has other branches like industrial, food, environmental, pharmaceutical, etc.

I reapect every profession and the fact that microbiologist decided to focus on the medical aspect doesn't make them a wanna be MLS.

It is wrong of you to look down on other professions simply because you feel they shouldn't work in the same environment as you.

I'm here for something entirely different from this route you have taken. Since you don't have the info I seek, kindly let this be. Thanks

Hopefully someone with the information I need will find this thread
Quelme:
You find MLS wannabes like SLT, Microbiologist, Biochemist who wants to work in an hospital laboratory doesn't make them MLS and never will, you know why? Because the job description and roles are entirely different.

How many MLS wannabes can successfully carry out Microtomy in the histology lab?

How many can successfully carry out LFT, hormonal assay, E/U/Cr test in the chemical pathology lab?

Or read culture plate, process CSF samples successfully in the Microbiology lab?

Not to talk of blood typing, grouping and cross matching or patient bleeding using vacutainers?

Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 10:33am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:
You seem to think this thread is about comparing MLS to MCB and others. All you know about Mcb is about the medical aspect. It seems you don't know mcb has other branches like industrial, food, environmental, pharmaceutical, etc.

I reapect every profession and the fact that microbiologist decided to focus on the medical aspect doesn't make them a wanna be MLS.

It is wrong of you to look down on other professions simply because you feel they shouldn't work in the same environment as you.

I'm here for something entirely different from this route you have taken. Since you don't have the info I seek, kindly let this be. Thanks

please don't think it personally.. I'm very sorry if you got upset.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 10:38am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:

I have been trying out some too lately but in Canada... I have got a list of some universities with low tuition fees, no IELTS required...
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 10:47am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:

Hope you aren't angry anymore? Can we talk off nairaland? Pleaseeeee!
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 05, 2020
I tried Canada already but was denied Visa.
I'm looking at UK this time around

Quelme:
I have been trying out some too lately but in Canada... I have got a list of some universities with low tuition fees, no IELTS required...
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Nobody: 11:02am On Jan 05, 2020
Sure. Though I'm not sure we are allowed to drop phone numbers here. Don't want to be banned

Quelme:
Hope you aren't angry anymore? Can we talk off nairaland? Pleaseeeee!
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 11:17am On Jan 05, 2020
stjoan:
Sure. Though I'm not sure we are allowed to drop phone numbers here. Don't want to be banned

floralsecret@yahoo.com

Send me a PM via that mail. I will be waiting for your message.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Nobody: 11:35am On Jan 05, 2020
Done.

Quelme:
floralsecret@yahoo.com

Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Kinzeyfranks(m): 8:15pm On Jan 06, 2020
Quelme:
Hi will like to connect with you.
I need more info about this.
here is my whats-app con-tact
0--8--1--4--9--9--4--six--one--eight--zero
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 9:28am On Jan 07, 2020
Kinzeyfranks:

Hi will like to connect with you.
I need more info about this.
here is my whats-app con-tact
0--8--1--4--9--9--4--six--one--eight--zero
ovbie oba.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Kinzeyfranks(m): 11:47am On Feb 18, 2020
Quelme:
ovbie oba.
I don't get
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Babygal2020(f): 5:15pm On Jan 15, 2021
I tried Canada already but was denied Visa.
I'm looking at UK this time around

Can I PM you pls? I'm a microbiologist too. I want to ply this route too.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Babygal2020(f): 5:16pm On Jan 15, 2021
Quelme:
floralsecret@yahoo.com

Pls I would love to connect with you too. Thanks
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 9:14pm On Jan 15, 2021
Babygal2020:

Pls I would love to connect with you too. Thanks
send a PM or drop your mail.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Babygal2020(f): 10:34pm On Jan 15, 2021
Quelme:
send a PM or drop your mail.
Thank you. Should I mail you directly because I have your email address?
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Quelme: 11:09pm On Jan 15, 2021
Babygal2020:

Thank you. Should I mail you directly because I have your email address?
Okay. No problem...
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by luvlyoracle(m): 1:22am On Oct 02, 2023
Babygal2020:

Can I PM you pls? I'm a microbiologist too. I want to ply this route too.
Hello watsup
Can I dm u regarding this?
I am interested in plying this route
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by Babygal2020(f): 12:14am On Oct 07, 2023
luvlyoracle:

Hello watsup
Can I dm u regarding this?
I am interested in plying this route
I'm now in a nursing school here in Nigeria. However, I can add you to the group.
Re: Studying Nursing In The UK After Obtaining First Degree In Microbiology by luvlyoracle(m): 1:13am On Oct 07, 2023
Babygal2020:

I'm now in a nursing school here in Nigeria. However, I can add you to the group.
Yes please do.
I would also need guidance on radiography too if there is any help in that area.
Thanks.
My number on my signature.

(1) (Reply)

FUTA Is Frustrating Me!! / Unizik School Fee / Futa Post Ume Past Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.