Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,038 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience (41879 Views)

Wholesale Iphone Screens At Good Price You Can Buy And Resell / We Do DIESEL Supply For The Best Price You Can Get Anywhere / How To Pay For Facebook And Instagram Ads (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Jaqenhghar: 11:03pm On Jan 06, 2020
mrksquare:

That's how I decided to empower my friend who is an electrician by given him the contract to wire my dad's one storey building when we were building. Of all artisans that worked in my site, he was the only one I gave money to buy his own material yet most of the materials he bought were of inferior quality.

Most artisans take delight in cutting corners so as to make huge gains.

After my friend delivered on the job, I severed ties with him completely. Till date I don't talk to him. in short, the experience taught me a great lesson. And which is never do business with someone you are familiar with.
Na wa. Thats his loss
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by SmartyPants(m): 11:07pm On Jan 06, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

Usually peoppe like that continue till she finds out.

That's conjecture. Supposing he is wise and stops, your assertion will not be true.
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jan 06, 2020
tot:

Exactly.

OP, so you don't even realise the dishonesty in this? No wonder Nigerians keep getting looters and dishonest people as leaders. Crooks deserve crooks. Se fini.

This behaviour is the norm in Nigeria, people don't see anything wrong with what the artisan did because that's how they deal in their professional & private lives, they would gouge even their own blood relatives to make an extra thousand or two...in Nigeria, corruption has been coded into the DNA of citizens cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by adanny01(m): 11:41pm On Jan 06, 2020
micronut:
A local woman was to roof her house, she had sent for quotations from different carpenters for roofing sheets. She got many and went for the cheapest.

Then she asked the Carpenter with the cheapest workmanship where she can get the cheapest price of the roofing sheet.

Well, madam, Iginla Stores sell at good and affordable price, one of the best in Ile-Ife, and possibly Osun state – The Carpenter explained.

Not satisfied, the woman having mobilized how planks would get to the site and roofing is about to commence asked the Carpenter to follow her to town to check different prices.

Worried but not discouraged, the Carpenter took the woman around three building material shops in town and eventually the stopped at Iginla. The woman still believes it will be cheaper somewhere else, a bundle of iron sheets at Ile-Ife at N26,000 must be cheap else where.

May be Ibadan, Yes, Ibadan will be fine.

She called a friend where they sell roofing sheets in Ibadan.

Go to Ogunpa Market, She was told.

Oh. I know all those best places in that market, because you need to be wise make dem no scam you oo. If no because of my work today, I would have followed you ma. – The carpenter advised.

Haa, No ooo. You must follow me oo. Please, don’t be disturbed, I will give you your daily labor work. You know all these sellers are thieves, some of them make unimaginable gains, I would never be their mugu. You see those planks, and almost everything on my site, I source them myself. One needs to be wise you know. Lol – Madam narrated!

Then, they headed for Ibadan with a rented truck.

On arriving the busy market, the Carpenter having been used to many of the sellers was greeted and welcomed to the big warehouse.

Immediately, the sales boy ask, Egbon se gbele ni abi normal? (Is it high grade or normal?) The carpenter said gbele ni oo…. (We want high grade).

Well, we sell high grade at 25,000. Normal at N23,000.

The madam asked what is wrong with the Normal?

Nothing, just the different makers – The Sales guy explained.

No be to roof house make e no leak? Please give us the N23,000 per bundle. We are buying 20 bundles.

Meanwhile, All the roofing sheets categorized are same. The grading is in pricing to charge and not in quality of the material.

When an artisan goes to a shop to buy, he buys at customers price – Mostly the last price the business shops can offer. They are stakeholders especially as businesses put their small cut when selling.

When you are not an artisan, you buy at regular or normal market price. If they sell a lamp holder to an electrician at N150, the normal price may be N200 if you go as the owner.

But if owner follows artisans, to market to price and buy, most often, what you get is high grade price unsuspectingly. A lamp holder goes to 250, and any removal depends on artisans price hackling power. Many times, artisans allow sellers to make more gain, on the stubborn owner that follows them and they come back behind to collect the little gains.

Well, the madam transferred and paid, and while the carpenter assisted in carrying them out, he requested for the seller’s fone no openly so he can call next time In case he sees no customer .

Well, It is coded! He isn’t asking for phone no but account no. Lol

He got a paper and put his account no.

Before they reached Ikire, he got transferred.

N3000 on every bundle on 20 bundles.

That’s N60,000.

The bundle price was actually 20,000.

The woman thought she bought at a better price in Ibadan at N23,000 instead of N26,000 at Ife. Lol

The carpenter got home still got paid by the woman as daily labor money.

He narrated the ordeal!

Lessons:

1. There is a price we pay for trying not to be cheated when dealing with Nigerian Artisans. Being too wise can be costly too.

2. It's mere foolishness to think you can outsmart an artisan or any professional in their field.

If you don't trust an artisan and his/her price, go elsewhere. Never be tempted to try buy materials for yourself.

Worse still, you source for materials and they tell you you bought inferior ones to make you feel bad and exonerate themselves if whatever they did got spoilt fast - Oluwapelumi Awotedu.

Source: https://naijalocals.com.ng/the-price-you-pay-for-looking-for-cheap-things/

I make serious research, estimates and calculations before I call an artisan. Most cases, they cut cap for me and beg me to reconsider and add a little money because they eventually make too little. I oblige and they respect me for paying more than we agreed.

The only problem is, it makes me slow. Also, lack of experience will cause one to lose money, so I know when to trust an artisan.

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by tot(f): 11:43pm On Jan 06, 2020
GidiWoodsMan:

This behaviour is the norm in Nigeria, people don't see anything wrong with what the artisan did because that's how they deal in their professional & private lives, they would gouge even their own blood relatives to make an extra thousand or two...in Nigeria, corruption has been coded into the DNA of citizens cheesy

Very scary.
I read pages 1 and 2, and no one had pointed out the dishonesty until the comment I quoted.

2 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by tck2000(m): 11:48pm On Jan 06, 2020
PointZerom:
If you don't trust an artisan and his/her price, go elsewhere. Never be tempted to try buy materials for yourself".

I disagree with you on this. I buy almost everything by myself. All I needed from him is the type of material he wants and if I make my purchase and he rejects it I will tell him to use it like that or fvck out.

I am into building materials two of my senior brothers are into auto parts and electronics/electrical parts so it is almost impossible for any artisan to beat me in the game.
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Carlmax(m): 1:20am On Jan 07, 2020
I am a real bullshitter at the market, I don't buy @ the first store that I price and I clearly let you know I am looking around for the best price. Nobody should leave a negotiation happy, so if a seller stands on a price for "too long" I simply walk out, I can't displease myself to please you.

3 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MabraO: 2:15am On Jan 07, 2020
I pity people who carry workmen to go and buy material. The go barb u abollo

All I do is tell them to give me the list of wot they want nd I go buy it for them

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by LordBuchi(m): 3:22am On Jan 07, 2020
I thought it's only Igbos in the East that do wayo? Nawa ooo, never know it can happen in Ibadan.
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by pek(m): 4:13am On Jan 07, 2020
luckshine007:

Clipper of 3000 Naira the highest and best brand ���
Read and comprehend.

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by ezenna191(m): 4:46am On Jan 07, 2020
I have long known the saying " cheapest is dearest.

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by oriewanbe: 6:25am On Jan 07, 2020
Sunofgod:
Everything in naija na wayo...
Yeah, that is how I bought a London used tecno Android phone that does not have data usage control in the setting . All the apps we're just consuming my data. Some other things stated on the phone like the RAM and ROM were lies.
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Angeldada55(m): 6:49am On Jan 07, 2020
PointZerom:
If you don't trust an artisan and his/her price, go elsewhere. Never be tempted to try buy materials for yourself".

I disagree with you on this. I buy almost everything by myself. All I needed from him is the type of material he wants and if I make my purchase and he rejects it I will tell him to use it like that or fvck out.

I am into building materials two of my senior brothers are into auto parts and electronics/electrical parts so it is almost impossible for any artisan to beat me in the game.

I laff in Arabic *Kikikikiki*

Habibi, come to computer village first ; let's see how smart you are !!! Na pipu like you dey buy " iPhone *fugu* pro max

E get pesin wey dem no fi cheat for this Naija ?

Iffa talk now, pesin go say I no know anything...
Mtcheeew

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by Ballack1(m): 7:05am On Jan 07, 2020
Some customers take your gentility and sincerity
for stupidity .some customers don't worth the stress.No matter how smart you claim to be ,if an artisan wish to dupe you he will..I'm an artisan
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by hapiness44(f): 7:12am On Jan 07, 2020
My husband will give you the pros and cons of each material and suggest the best for you no matter the price difference then you make your choice. He is also a carpenter and makes unique furnitures
https://www.nairaland.com/4545349/sister/2

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:40am On Jan 07, 2020
kikilove:
This story is actually true oh cause it happened to one of my friend but the electrician told the seller that he brought her here to make her own choice not cause she was stubborn grin grin
it true but not in all cases. If you know the market very well you can get your things yourself without even the assistant of an artisan. All you need is to know the brand or make you want. If hi want to be more sure, start by going for market research if the market is close. Go round the market and find out how much the different grates cost.
Avoid all those artisans that tell you things like, plank is expensive here, I will get it for you cheaper at the other market.
The job of an artisan is to tell you what you need and the quantity not to go and buy for you.
Except you meet one that you know is not an artisan and an agent who will collect agent fee from you behind your back.

2 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:46am On Jan 07, 2020
Ballack1:
Some customers take your gentility and sincerity
for stupidity .some customers don't worth the stress.No matter how smart you claim to be ,if an artisan wish to dupe you he will..I'm an artisan
but is that how it supposed to be. How can you say someone following you to the market to buy things for his own work is making the artisan stupid.
The only time you should blame a customer is if you work and he doesn't pay you or pays you less than what you two agreed on.
Some artisans are so wicked that they will steal from you more than what you are even paying them. And when they meet someone who already know their trick they begin to do a substandard job or waste the materials out of bitterness.

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by ffo(m): 7:47am On Jan 07, 2020
FuckAllTheMODs:
Nonsense, nothing like the price you pay for blah blah blah...

If you know the right place to get the goods/products and how to go about it, then you're good to go and also if you get good workmen and ensure you monitor them when buying the goods/products.
I would have given you one important scope to use when going to the market to get materials for work with your workman but I don't want to spoil their biz.

It seems you don't know that some of these workmen use substandard goods/products to do work even when the owners of the works pay them well
Why withholding information from us when we are all here to learn.
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:49am On Jan 07, 2020
MabraO:
I pity people who carry workmen to go and buy material. The go barb u abollo

All I do is tell them to give me the list of wot they want nd I go buy it for them
Thats all. How can one give money to work men to buy materials for them.
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by ffo(m): 7:50am On Jan 07, 2020
realstars:
Its remains me when my boss ask me to buy camera head cleaner, he went with me and we play a sharp business with the sales boy and he know not.
That is unfaithfulness and unrighteousness

2 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:02am On Jan 07, 2020
bukatyne:

Except we are missing something, the woman still got a better deal of N23k/bundle at Ibadan instead of N26k/bundle from Ife.
Maybe the artisan didn't get enough as he would have gotten if the woman got it from ife.
And the woman will still pay him. Na this kind artisan dey thief materials for site go sell.
Thieves calling themselves artisans. That's why many of them don't progress.

4 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:08am On Jan 07, 2020
luckshine007:
Most clients are too stingy, they want the best product but offering you the price of an inferior product, what do you want a workman that have not see job for like 2-3 months to do? Reject the offer hell no
it's better to reject the work of its poor than you steal and then think that when the owner discovers he will ever call or recommend you to anyone.
I sew clothes and I reject clothes all the time if the price is not good enough. I tell them that it's better for me to seat here in my shop and sleep that to collect clothes just because I've not seen clothes for weeks and then sew nonsense because the person wasn't able to pay enough. A bad work will send away more clients and even intending clients. But a good work, will always bring better clients because they come with confidence that you can do the work if their price is okay for you.
As an artisan, sometimes it's better not work at all than to do one bad job just because u u want to punish the owner for not paying you very well.

4 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:10am On Jan 07, 2020
maasoap:

But is it okay for artisan or any professional to cheat you out of your hard earned money? The truth is 99% of Nigeria artisans are greedy bastards
Saying they arebhust greedy is an understatement. They are thieves.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:11am On Jan 07, 2020
Ifakiland:
What's this one saying? So we should be giving artisans money to go buy materials for us abi? Ori e o pe kobo....artisans are the most dubious modafuka around....i make dem write Wat is needed and I go to the market myself....your job isn't to buy material fool, your job is to deliver your service and get the Bleep out my presence. Those dat wanna give artisans money to buy materials for dem good luck, your life your project.
Truth
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by NoToPile: 8:17am On Jan 07, 2020
But what of honest customers who just want good quality and take the carpenters there to choose the best so just pay on the spot and load into the vehicles but they still collide with the sellers to rip of the customer.

It happened to my mum once. This man was the trusted carpenter, handled all the carpentry work of the house from foundation down to roofing, whatever he recommended as good was what she bought, she just pays the seller.

So it got to the doors level as usual they went to pako together and he stated the one that was okay, price was haggle they all negotiated together and they agreed on a particular amount and she paid, and the doors was loaded about 20 doors or more.

The next day, she now remembered she wanted to buy a key for the house she's presently staying( she stayed with one of my cousins living in the area the project was) she bought the keyset and then just out of curiosity prices the same door from the same seller and low and behold the asking price for each door was about 3- 4000 naira lower than the amount they bought the guy didn't recognize her she now introduced herself the guy was shocked to the marrow then the elders there were now like that's what we always warn them about blabla.

She just called the carpenter and told him thank you for purchasing at xyz price loool. This was like 8 years ago. Meanwhile my cousin that introduced him to mum told her that she shouldn't use him again because he had changed that she noticed it when she recommended him for another roofing project around but because he roofed her place 2 years before that she still trusted him so she withdrew him from the job and future contracts.

This is someone that because he does a good job he charges slightly higher than others but peeps still don't mind. He lost his customers in that area.

The point still is at the end of the day, nature still has a way of collecting it back. Few months later he fell from scaffolding and broke his legs, that was the beginning of his problems he never recovered since then and the said house has been completed since.

Personally I would never take any artisan to buy anything, lots of them are rogues.

4 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:17am On Jan 07, 2020
Jaqenhghar:
Niggerians and their ten-ten naira sense. He has gotten 60k plus bonuses but he has lost a customer who will most likely refer him to another customer thereby strengthening his customer base. Gor him eating now is better. SMH
That's the moral lesson most people are pretending not to learn from this topic.

2 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:20am On Jan 07, 2020
JUO:
who will give you the information in 2020? We have stopped giving out information for free in 2019
People dealing in the materials have better information. If one decides to visit the market, by the time to ask 4 or 5 people about a product and their price, you will deduct from their answer which product is better, cheaper or durable.
Artisans don't sell these things neither do they produce them.
See this one o

2 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by NoToPile: 8:24am On Jan 07, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
People dealing in the materials have better information. If one decides to visit the market, by the time to ask 4 or 5 people about a product and their price, you will deduct from their answer which product is better, cheaper or durable.
Artisans don't sell these things neither do they produce them.
See this one o

Exactly, this method is what works for me oo. I won't even carry money to pay at that point, will just ask around and come back later to purchase.

1 Like

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by PointZerom: 8:26am On Jan 07, 2020
Angeldada55:

I laff in Arabic *Kikikikiki*

Habibi, come to computer village first ; let's see how smart you are !!! Na pipu like you dey buy " iPhone *fugu* pro max

E get pesin wey dem no fi cheat for this Naija ?

Iffa talk now, pesin go say I no know anything...
Mtcheeew

You think that everyone is as mumu as ..
90% of the phones I have used I didn't buy them here in Nigeria.. In fact I have four phones now in my wardrobe..all given to me by friends and relatives that came home from Europe and America this Christmas.

I repeat, No artisan can beat me in this game.
Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by inspector1(m): 8:37am On Jan 07, 2020
[quote author=Rapmoney post=85564279]Sometimes, the price you pay for pursuing cheap things is greater than what you pay to get things at their normal prices.

I'd rather buy a shirt for 7k that has good quality than buy an inferior one that goes for 1.5k. The reason is that the one that goes for 1.5k may not last more than two months.

EXACTLY, IN MY OWN CASE I BOUGHT A USED KIA CERATO MANUAL 2012 FOR #650K, AFTER MY MECHANIC HAD VERIFY THE CAR AND HE WAS SATISFIED. DO U KNOW THAT THE VEHICLE ENGINE KNOCKED IN LESS THAN 2 HOURS OF PURCHASE AND THE PRICE OF A TOKUNBO ENGINE COST #450K?
THE CAR IS PARKED SINCE THEN.....

3 Likes

Re: The Price You Pay For Looking For Cheap Things -an Experience by realstars: 9:07am On Jan 07, 2020
ffo:

That is unfaithfulness and unrighteousness
Thank you, but that money was of help to me at that time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Which Bank ATM Works For International Transaction / Man Gets A Car For Returning N53m Mistakenly Paid Into His Account By The Govt / 6 Ways To Make Money In Nigeria This Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.