Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,906 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:12 AM

Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! (6849 Views)

Poll: Are you in support of this levy?

Yes.: 14% (13 votes)
No.: 85% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! / FG Imposes Fuel Levy On Federal Roads - From Jan 2012 / CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by angel101(f): 8:39am On Jun 01, 2007
Salvage:

I think we should annoint someone here who is good at writting and let him convey our fillings in writing and send it to newspaper houses as well as government houses both federal and state.

@ All
I think it's a good idea to send a petition to the appropriate bodies. Maybe an internet based one that we can all sign and then possibly forward it to the major newspapers as well. I am totally up for it. Anyone else?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by nazzyon(m): 8:49am On Jun 01, 2007
I am in support of reduction of the Carbon dioxide but the charge is what I am against. Even in china I doubt if they charge and even if they do it is not individuals . It will be the Factories.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Ndipe(m): 10:00am On Jun 01, 2007
Why complain? Afterall, when a New Yorker journalist wrote an inflamatory report on Lagos, some folks, in the spirit of National patriotism were quick to castigate those who were in support of the journalist.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by moondust(m): 10:20am On Jun 01, 2007
I looked at the poll and I was baffled to find that there are actually people in support of the levy imposition. , simply crazy
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Ndipe(m): 10:47am On Jun 01, 2007
I am not in support of the levy, but then again, if I criticize the govt now, I might raise the ire of some folks here, like I did when I was in agreement with the scathing article about Lagos in the NewYorker.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by stanech: 11:04am On Jun 01, 2007
Yes some people will still vote in support, because it is not OBj that imposed the levy.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by angel101(f): 11:06am On Jun 01, 2007
stanech:

Yes some people will still vote in support, because it is not OBj that imposed the levy.

And ur point is?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by gbeborun(m): 12:04pm On Jun 01, 2007
If the government is concerned about environmental issues, then they should do something about power supply, cos if there's reliable and constant power supply people wont resort to using generators. It's even more expensive to run generators. Michellin is a clear case in point, the company went under partly because of PHCN (NEPA)!
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by aminuyaro: 12:52pm On Jun 01, 2007
Nawa woo! this bastards don start again. When will poor man go begin to dey see light for naija? soon we'll start paying for the oxygen we dey inhale too.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by osacares(m): 1:34pm On Jun 01, 2007
I think this is just another reflection of the hurried way in which we often try to implement principles practiced by the developed world. It is true that Lagos being a highly populated area, viz a viz businesses and autos, experinces quite a bit of pollution due to emissions. The question however is: In countries where such policies have been implemented, what has been the Modus operandi? I strongly doubt that this approach was applied when similar steps were takenin the UK.

If I want a job done, the onus rests on me to provide an enabling environment. Where I fail to do this and those who work for and with me take steps to still get the job done, it would be wrong of me to levy them for side effects/fallouts which arise from my failings.

As a nation we have invited businesses to set up shop and help build our economy, provide employment and in many cases especially in the Niger Delta, saddle them witht the responsibility of developing the communities in which they operate. It doesn't make sense to turn around and levy them for the side effects of their operations when we have not made adequate provision for power supply to these businesses.

This said however, the thot behind the idea is a good one, as are many of the ideas the govt tries to implement. The problem is the 'copy and paste' approach that is often used. Nigeria as a nation is unique, such ideas have to be customised to suit us.

I would not shoot the idea down, just that it needs to be taken back to the table for proper modification in terms of implementation.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 50kobo: 2:58pm On Jun 01, 2007
@ Comechop, salvage and angel 101 , thanks for your input.

Firstly, i  think we need to clarify the details of this levy.   I have tried to search elsewhere on this news, however  found nothing.  Perhaps the journalist that wrote the article Atser Godwin has further information on the levy. If anyone has Aster's email address or any  contacts at Punch newspaper can you please let me know.
If indeed this true then we can carry out the next steps,   

Secondly as comechop advises we need someone who understands both enivronmetal issues and perhaps another journalist (or someone good at writing) to document a petition and post it here for all to review.   

Thirdly we should sign and fwd the petition to the relevant body that introduced the levy as well as other associations that will support our cause against the levy. 

I know this might sound stupid or dream-like to some people , but i rather try to DO something rather than just sit down and complain like we have been doing for the past 14 years, or more.  If you think what we say on the internet, does not have an impact,   think twice, check out the Kenyans web watch,  little strides like this can make a difference

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6412143.stm

Thanks, 

share your thoughts please.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Agboola1(m): 3:53pm On Jun 01, 2007
why are you guys complaining over a light salt on the injury inflicted us by NEPA?

lagos needed the money to dryclean the air. u know!

we don enter for naija
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by b7slim(m): 4:16pm On Jun 01, 2007
that's what tinubu give as a parting gift just like his boss, BABA who gave us the kiss of death a few days ago
for parting so comfortable money-spinning aso villa.

the task is now on the new managers of abuja and Lagos to reverse what their predecessors have just done!
to show if they are sensible enough to think clearly after the post-election glee.
otherwise, that would be the beginning of their downfall.

A fall that will be very great, in the morning of their glory,

lest I forget, Lagos state whatever should include trailers as part of these giant-environment-polluting generators.

eko ni baje (food for thought), I don't forget easily
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by cyprianjr(m): 6:04pm On Jun 01, 2007
NO NOOOOOOOOOOO, I PERFECTLY AGREE WITH THIS LEVY INFACT THEY CAN COME AND COLLECT THE LEVY FOR THIS MONTH OF MY GEN RIGHT AWAY

BUT

FOR EVERY POWER OUTAGE BY NEPA\POWER HOLDINGS,I DO HAVE A LEVY WHICH TINUBU (OJU IGO) OR FASHOLA (TOBACCO EYES) MUST PAY ME, AWON OLOSI, GENERATOR LEVY KO,LATERN LEVY NI, MAKE UNA START THE LEVY COLLECTION FROM AKALLA MUSHIN FIRST.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by ijogbon(m): 8:08pm On Jun 01, 2007
emm emm uhm ,,,,,,ABOUT THE PETITION !!!! angry
Please, A chance to be proactive is going begging.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by easimoni(m): 8:16pm On Jun 01, 2007
I would love to levy my employer everytime I failed to do my own job!

A govt that can't provide power despite collecting my taxes, is now charging me for doing myself. Na wah o! Govt is quick to forget that they work for the people. Any talk of pollution is rubbish. Lack of power will kill me more quickly than pollution will.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by yinkolo(f): 8:37pm On Jun 01, 2007
i agree with you my bro, i really dont know what the country has become. what the government should be thinking of is providing people with stable electricity, this way they will not have to use generator. and come to think of this with the fact that there is no stable electricity supply people still have to make the payments to NEPA(privatised), very sad. remember most people use this gen, to make ends meet.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 50kobo: 10:05pm On Jun 01, 2007
ijogbon:

emm emm uhm ,,,,,,ABOUT THE PETITION !!!! angry
Please, A chance to be proactive is going begging.

hello people, any contacts at punch newspapers? see my previous posts,
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by OroGojigo(f): 10:13pm On Jun 01, 2007
area boys don dey collect am since the only news be say government don join? The oda issue be say dem don tell you say e go take time for NEPA head to correct so they must milk you for daring to challenge NEPA
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by boladez(m): 1:04pm On Jun 02, 2007
Honestly, I guess it would be an insult to call some of these governors and policy makers RETARDS!!!!! (Retards would consider that as defamation) Hope the national association of Retards would not proceed on an indefinite strike or sue us for regarding these leaders as retards. MOST RETARDS ARE BETTER THAN OUR LEADERS. I am sure retards would do better when given the same resources at the disposal of these Idiots.

These cursed people tend to run away from the problems and create bigger ones in the name of trying to solve the former. I would give a few examples;

* A Retard would make PHCN work or expand, in the case of Lagos state the Provision of an constant power through the state IPP; Our leaders have decided to impose taxes on high capacity generators and consequently push the final cost to the populace.

*A Retard would Improve the quality of existing Lagos roads and open up new ones to ease the flow of traffic while our leaders would dedicate lanes to BRT!!!!! thereby causing more chaotic traffic. BRT Buses stop work about 8pm , tell me why I would not drive to work if im employed in a bank and close by 9pm or beyond?

*A Retard would never impose nonsense MOT charges on motorists without compensating value added!!!! Our lagos state govt has done that!!!!

*Retards would ensure private public partnerships or Joint ventures to make our refineries work and make the pump prices of petroleum products affordable and cheap while our leaders would rather increase pump prices arbitrarily to cope with imports!!!!

*Retards would solve the problems with WAEC rather than duplicating it with another NECO!!!!

*Retards would not tax the use of DSTVs for personal use while the LASG has done that.

, I could go on and on to proove that truly many of our leaders are worse than RETARDS

Im therefore not suprised that the Lagos state govt would impose taxes on high capacity generators I am only suprised that they have not imposed same on the I Pass my neighbour TIGER generators!!!! or even on inverters and UPSes

I rest my case angry
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Sowon: 1:50pm On Jun 02, 2007
Re ; Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners!

I simply believes that this is a wicked act on the part of Lagos state government . It shows how insensitive they are to the plight of the people. If there is consistent supply of electricity who will opt for generator in this first instance. We(Lagosians) already have a lot of things bothering us , they should not add to our burden.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by gbeborun(m): 2:14pm On Jun 02, 2007
Insensitive, wicked, callous, greedy etc what else can be used to describe some of our leaders. I guess Fashola needs more money to battle PDP, cos he needs a massive war chest to face them in another four years. Little wonder he has already started saving money towards that. Ride on guv'nor, milk the people dry and when there's nothing left, i guess they'll sell off every individual in the state.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by gbeborun(m): 2:19pm On Jun 02, 2007
funny both true, do you guys know that about two and half years ago, some councils in Delta State, Nigeria notably Warri-South and Udu LGC introduced Borehole charges for residents that have borehole in their premises. Can you beat that? The council dint provide water, ordinary nigerians sought to help themselves and the council resorted to tax. Na wah o. Please how can we get rid of retards in our government?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by cammax7(m): 4:50pm On Jun 02, 2007
Tinubu and his puppet Fashola are both crazy. They should have imposed levy on all car owners for discharging carbon into the atmosphere or impose a levy on every thing that breaths carbon into the air. na God go punish them. i'm pissed off
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by adewaleafolabi(m): 11:14pm On Jun 02, 2007
i can't help but laugh next they'll tax us for wearing cloth or even walking or better still for existing
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Bleday(f): 11:34pm On Jun 02, 2007
well, this is rediculous, but that is the only way the rich can be taxed,and pollution drastically reduced.Its a pity Lagosians,but i think they mean well for development[color=#770077][/color] angry
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Nobody: 12:59am On Jun 03, 2007
Bleday:

i think they mean well for development[color=#770077][/color] angry

well i would like to ask u wat development r u talking about?
look around u are there any rich men in the society?

when a govt lacks vision and treats its own citizens as second class then we r bound for more crisis in the future

companies are folding up and leaving cos production cost is way up and too high compared to cheap imports from china

i could name some for u if u care, Michelin is no longer here, lever brothers now manufacture in ghana and only have a sales output in ninja. to mention a few

simply means unemployment rate is going to and would continue to increase
i have always asked the question wat happens with our oil money? the excess crude inflow they claim we have wat happens to such monies

maybe fashoola needs to replenish the state account that tinubu spent for the elections or probably they have other things in mind

but on the good part i am so happy about the politics practised in nigeria which simply means once ur out of office u become like any other citizen , and i sure know tinubu would also pay the generator tax cos he wont be using "i pass my nebor"

obj spent 8 years he could solve the power problems we have in this country , peoples lives did not improve, NTA keeps telling us lies upon lies, well i wont want to be pessimistic but i sure think yar - adua also dont have ideas to translate nigeria to the 21st century country we aspire, so most probably another 8 years of same situation.

God will continue to help us
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Ika: 9:44am On Jun 03, 2007
I have always said we get the kind of leaders we deserve in Nigeria. Na so them common sense be.

One small thing sa, me I get two generators as I dey fire dem anyhow, When I go service one, I dey use the other one. My question na two levies I go dey pay?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by MP007(m): 9:48am On Jun 03, 2007
THATS ridiculous, u cant provide a 24 hour electric suply yet u stil taxing people , thats ridiculous ,
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Ndipe(m): 10:04am On Jun 03, 2007
It would be interesting to know how they will tax owners of generators.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by adewaleafolabi(m): 1:47pm On Jun 03, 2007
This is just the beginning, if we aren't careful, even tiger generators would be taxed. Industries even cyber cafes are shutting down
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by MrSmith1: 2:01pm On Jun 03, 2007
I wonder why people are talkin environmental issues.

1. Nowhere did it say what the levy would be used for. And even if for environmental issues, how it would be used.
2. Probably most important, wouldn't providing electricity be the biggest +ve move for the environment? Why "fix" an environmental problem with levied dollars when you can "prevent" it by providing public electricity supply.

Bottom line is if this article is accurate then it is yet another display of clueless policy makers trying to force the issue on the public all the while refusing to do their part.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Make Money From Nnu Program / Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends / Sample Cooperative Society Constitution Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.