Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,474 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! (6851 Views)

Poll: Are you in support of this levy?

Yes.: 14% (13 votes)
No.: 85% (78 votes)
This poll has ended

Breaking!! US Imposes Sanctions On Owner Of AMIGO Supermarket Abuja!! / FG Imposes Fuel Levy On Federal Roads - From Jan 2012 / CBN Imposes Limits, Penalty On Cash Transactions, Again! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by teena(f): 11:52am On Jun 04, 2007
Oh! when will Nigeria see and enjoy light again
sad angrysad
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by deb(m): 5:12pm On Jun 04, 2007
Do those guys ever think right? angry

Sometime I wonder if they have brains at all? angry angry

I'm sure those who voted in support of the levy
don't have generators at home.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by mdjo(m): 7:51pm On Jun 04, 2007
@GBEBORUN
I HAVE THE FORMAL RIGHT TO SAY THAT THE CRAZE THAT LAGOS STATE GOVT. IS FUSING INTO ALL OF US WILL BE TOO MUCH FOR THEM TO HANDLE SOMEDAY.
I HAVE ALWAYS AND WILL ALWAYS SAY THAT THERE IS NO LAW IN THESE COUNTRY AND LAGOS STATE IS THE MOTHER OF IT ALL.
HOW CAN THAT BE ALLOWED, YES, IT MAKES SOME SENSE IF THINGS WERE A LITTLE BIT STABLE,
THIS IS CRAZY, WE ARE RUNNING A MAD RACE AND ONLY GOD AND THE LOVELY CRAZY PEOPLE LIKE ME CAN DO SOMEHTING ABOUT IT.
WHAT SAY YE!
THE REVOLUTION BEGINS,
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by DisGuy: 9:41pm On Jun 04, 2007
whereare all those Tinubu boys and girls shouting he has improved lagos state tongue
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Egavlas(m): 10:58pm On Jun 04, 2007
Hello ppl, The levy is on high capacity generators, the capacity of 5 kVA etc . Those of us that use the pure water(tiger) and the other variations as well as the regular bigger ones, are not affected. But the issue is that we must make our voices heard in the face of callous laws like this. I live and work in Lagos and the area boys and rent collectors are growing and getting more and more brazen by the day. It is as if they are trying to let us know that they are now much more in charge. There are some criminals who stand at the Adeniran Ogunsanya roundabout, claiming to be from local/state govt, just extorting money from hapless motorists. They actually cause the driver to make a mistake by one of them pretending to direct traffic onwards just for another to jump out and stop you saying that tou moved when you were not supposed to. This broad daylight robbery must stop. We dont only need the mails of newspaper houses, but also the contacts of the New Governor of lagos state. We need to demand to be heard. I once agan call for a pressure group to start from now. There are issues that need to be addressed but no one is speaking out.

Someone needs to collate the postings here and write a mail to whoever
here are email adds of some News papers : info@thisdayonline.com , editor@thisdayonline.com , mail@businessdayonline.com , info@independentngonline.com
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 50kobo: 5:14pm On Jun 05, 2007
Salvage:

here are email adds of some News papers : info@thisdayonline.com , editor@thisdayonline.com , mail@businessdayonline.com , info@independentngonline.com

Thanks Salvage for the information!  I am trying to get input from others,  I am not so good at writing myself  sad, so I have made a request on the politics section for writers,   

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-57637.0.html
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by DrDre1(m): 6:09pm On Jun 05, 2007
Hello all

I have always said it that the Lagos State Government during the reign of Tinubu was just riding on the wings of pity because of what seemed as victimization by the Federal Government. This made Lagosians close their eyes to the non-performance of that administration.

Take a closer look at Lagos and point to something good and outstanding that was achieved in the state for the past 8 years. I'm sure you can't count much and the best of them all will be the fight that seemed to won against the FG (PDP). The bitter truth is that the state has suffered more than gained from the tussle between the state government and the FG. Salaries are not paid on time and various ways of generating funds came up in order to keep up with the running of the state and the enrichment of their own pockets. angry

Now to the issue of levy on generator owners, it is just a simple thing. The people are going to start paying for the inefficiency of the government. Was it not this same government that promised an independent power generation company.  angry

The excuse of environmental pollution is not acceptable at all; if not they should try and rid the state of dirts you find everywhere. Lagos leads all the other states in this that are not good for the masses. Talk of poor roads/road networks, dirts and go slows, Lagos is number one.  embarassed lipsrsealed cry sad

If they want to deal with pollution of the environment from engines, there are better ways of doing it. A friend in Sweden told me of a product that is in form of tablets that they put in their petrol/diesel tanks which reduces the carbon monoxide by about 90% or so and also reduces the consumption of fuel by some percentage.

The government should come up with better ideas and stop attempting to use a  problem to solve another  angry
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by deb(m): 4:42pm On Jun 06, 2007
Tinubu was a dissapointment. Can anyone point a finger
to one significant thing he has done for Lagos in his 8years?

Donald Duke has Tinapa what does Tinubu have?
Teslim Balogun Stadium?
Please nobody should mention that.

Shameless Tinubu should cover his face. He has left another
same of the same for Lagos State. lets see what he will do
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by DrDre1(m): 8:18pm On Jun 06, 2007
@ Deb
You want me to piont out some significant things of Tinubu for you? grin
Oya, let me show you two interesting ones grin
During Marwa's time - Ikorodu road was constructed
During Tinubu's time - potholes were constructed. You could pass somewhere yesterday and next day you find a nice pothole to bounce your car grin

During Marwa's time - Refuse was managed a little
During Tinubu's time - Refuse multiplied everywhere grin

During Marwa's time - miscreants were not bold
During Tinubu's time - miscreants doubled in number like mosquitoes during the rainy season grin
I wonder sometimes if they were not born yet during marwa's time abi them dey inside belle that time? grin

During Marwa's time - Area fathers of thugs were only known to ride danfos or just normal average cars at most
During Tinubu's time - Area fathers of thugs now ride hummer jeeps and other big cars grin

You still want more grin

I'm not a Marwa government apologist o. I'm just trying to do a comparism between the government before Tinubu with his own which he ran for 8 years all in the name of democracy and continuity angry angry angry angry
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by rossoneri(m): 10:22am On Jun 07, 2007
Salvage:

I live and work in Lagos and the area boys and rent collectors are growing and getting more and more brazen by the day. It is as if they are trying to let us know that they are now much more in charge. There are some criminals who stand at the Adeniran Ogunsanya roundabout, claiming to be from local/state govt, just extorting money from hapless motorists.This broad daylight robbery must stop. There are issues that need to be addressed but no one is speaking out.

I agree with you. I would also like to point out that there some criminals along the road from ketu all the way to mile 12, they operate when there is a little traffic on either side of the road. they beg during the day but are very bold in the evenings and these boys have been there since last year, i am still shocked that up until this moment nothing has been done about them. I see them everyday. Nairalanders pls watch out if your on that route make sure your windows are up.
lets stop the breeding of tauts and criminals!!!
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by deb(m): 4:13pm On Jun 07, 2007
Imagine! so many problems yet to be solved,

Its now levy on generator owners that is on their priority.
We brought them in to serve us but they are only
interested in killing us
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by nazzyon(m): 11:00pm On Jun 07, 2007
It will be easier for the admin if he wants to.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by scribe(m): 9:51am On Jun 08, 2007
Another senseless policy to further increase the cost of living. God save Nigeria from insensitive leaders.

Of course it is the poor man on the street that will eventually pay the levy. For sure the manufacturing companies will simply adjust the final cost of their product. At the end of the day, it will be cheaper to buy foreign made goods rather than those made in Nigeria.
I think some of our leaders need to go back to school and learn some basic things in Economics.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by debosky(m): 4:13pm On Jun 08, 2007
cool your jets people, consultations with stakeholders will still commence before implementation.

T HE Lagos State Government said on Thurs day that it did not authorise any service provider to collect levies on its behalf from owners of generating sets in the state.

The Air Pollution on Environmental Management Services had told journalists last week that it had been mandated by government to review levies on generator usage and to collect the new levies from users.

However, the director of public affairs, in the Ministry of the Environment, Mr.

Fola Adeyemi, in a statement made available to our correspondent, dissociated the ministry from the company's claims.

He said, "The ministry hereby expresses shock to read in some Newspapers that the it had authorized collection of levies ranging from N25,000?N50,000 on generator users in the state."

He, nevertheless, admitted that the ministry had signed a Memorandum Of Understanding with a firm on the need to collaborate as well as control the emission of poisonous gases released by generators into the atmosphere.

He explained, however, that discussions and modalities for the implementation were still ongoing stressing that the programme needed research, consultations and dialogue with relevant stakeholders.

He said, "Discussions had just commenced on the modalities for the implementation before we saw in the newspapers that the state authorised collection of levies.

"The release of the said information negates the fundamental objective of democracy which this administration is noted for."

The director stated that the ministry, in its action plan, had proposed sectoral meetings and consultative forum with relevant ministries, House of Assembly, corporate organisations, and manufacturers associations before the statement was issued by the services provider.

He insisted that "the issue of levies had not been discussed at any of the fora, as reported in the newspapers that Lagos State had authorised collection of levies, which the state has not."

He added, "It should, therefore, be stated that, the state has not authorised any agency to collect levies on its behalf on emission tests for generating set users in the state."

Adeyemi urged members of the public, individuals and corporate organisations to disregard the publication and should not remit any monies to the agency.

www.e-punch.com
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jun 08, 2007
@Debosky

I always knew the whole thing was too retarded to be true, yet we had people like you trying to justify it.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by debosky(m): 10:17pm On Jun 08, 2007
justifying it in principle is different from approving the mode of application, I'm sure you can distinguish between the two wink

I support emissions control in principle, that is what I tried to make clear.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 9ja4eva: 10:55pm On Jun 08, 2007
Oh thanks for d update.

Oh yes dey r two different things indeed.I was begining to think Fashola n co lost it too early but thank God its mere propaganda.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Iman3(m): 10:57pm On Jun 08, 2007
debosky:

justifying it in principle is different from approving the mode of application, I'm sure you can distinguish between the two wink

Distinction without a difference grin
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by debosky(m): 10:58pm On Jun 08, 2007
magomago lawyer sharrap grin
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by egoldman(m): 11:06pm On Jun 08, 2007
Lagos Denies Directive On Generator Levy
Posted Thursday, June 7, 2007

Lagos State Government has refuted claims that it authorised Air Pollution on Environmental Management Services provider to collect levies on its behalf from owners and user of generating sets in the state.

A statement from the office of the Director, Public Affairs Department in the Ministry of the Environment dissociated the ministry from such claims, stating that it was shocked to read in some newspapers that the ministry authorised collection of levies of between N25,000 – N50,000 from generator users in the state.

It said although, the ministry signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with a firm on the need to collaborate and control emission of poisonous gases released by generators, discussions and modalities for the implementation were still on.

It added that the programme needs research, consultations and dialogue with relevant stakeholders.

The Director stated that discussion had just commenced on the modalities of implementation before we saw in the newspapers that the state authorized collection of levies. He further stated that the release of the said Information negates the fundamental objective of democracy which this administration is noted for. -

source ; http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=2465
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by IfeanyiO(m): 5:36pm On Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for the wake up call by the government of the day.
The in thing still remain that our government is not concern to the verning of the masses, 'WILL THIS POLICY PROVIDE JOB FOR THE PEOPLE'.a place where nothing works (PHCN ).yet they still collect taxes,bills or revenew.N 25000 or N 50000 levy on Hervy generator user  which off course it effect will be on the masses.Producers of goods and services will later comply with this directives and push it to the final consumer.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by obong(m): 3:58pm On Jun 14, 2007
justifying it in principle is different from approving the mode of application, I'm sure you can distinguish between the two Wink

I support emissions control in principle, that is what I tried to make clear.

how did i know you would be in here talking nonsense like the stupid shit you are
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by MP007(m): 10:17am On Jun 24, 2007
lagos state govt dey craze
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 9ja4eva: 8:14am On Jun 25, 2007
No be small craze oh
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by santony2k(m): 3:10pm On Aug 16, 2007
I'm up for petitions. Newsday no go work. Newspapers no go work. Internet petitions, lets give that one a try. Get enough traffic and people will start to listen. Put pressure on this people Abeg. Thanks.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by Banderas(m): 3:15pm On Aug 16, 2007
Mr Anotony, May I ask, how on earth do you think that lawmakers in Naija are going to take notice of a petition on the internet over something in the newspapers? What is the saturation of the internet in Naija?

You're having a laugh aren't you?
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by santony2k(m): 3:44pm On Aug 16, 2007
How many people de read the newspapers you're talking about. If Newspapers can help, I think they've had more than enough years to try to help, abi all those editors are millionaires as well? Just something else to try. It wouldn't hurt, would it.

The way I see it, when the petitions reach 1 million signatures, some international news corp like BBC would gladly do a 10 mins editorial on it, then maybe we can hand it over to Newsday to publish. Or better yet, they will see it themselves on TV.
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by 9ja4eva: 5:18am On Sep 10, 2007
I dont think this is in existence yet
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by gbeborun(m): 7:45pm On Nov 22, 2007
So our governor is hell bent on reaping people off. No light from the govt and when we decided to get generators they want us to do emission test. If they are concerned about pollution then they should make the test very very cheap, at most like #2,500.
This is just another money making venture. I really pity MTN, GLO and CELTEL cos all there generating set around the metropolis will have to be tested. Abeg, we should make the operating environment for businesses tougher.

Source: http://www.thenewsng.com/modules/zmagazine/article.php?articleid=20679
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by ajileko: 10:08pm On Feb 18, 2008
smiley
Re: Lagos Imposes Levy On Generator Owners! by GT2: 10:14pm On Jun 30, 2008
I will say yes, if the lagos state government will first provide us with an alternative source of power.Other states like Plateau have provided their citizens this alternative and as a result PHCN is more effective there because of the competition.
javascript:void(0);
Angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sample Cooperative Society Constitution Needed / Facebook Tests $1 Fee For Messages To Non-friends / FG To Ban Foreign Goods That Have Local Substitutes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.