Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,078 members, 7,818,231 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:48 AM

Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation (68959 Views)

My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Ghanaian Landlord Drinks Beer After His Arrest For Land Scam (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 3:37pm On Jan 16, 2020
salford:

yes. It's the same thing.

Okay
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Litmus: 3:40pm On Jan 16, 2020
midnighter:

Indian food has a very distinct smell that can stick in the house, on your clothes or skin for days.

The enlightened ones among them try to cook in the garage

They don’t cook in garage nattin, they cook in the house and it smells mightily like many good, cultural food with solid history should and whites love it. If Indians cooked them shit, the whites would jump in it and lap it all up. They Whites learned to appreciate all that comes with Indian food - smell, looks and texture. Nigerian foods are cultural too, good, healthy and with solid history. Nigerians just have to tolerate the snide and racist comments about their food, persist in cooking them in all their verity and glory - not silly Senegalese rice – but Nigerian ethnic foods and eventually the majority of people around the world will adapt to it also. This is already happening and Nigerians should continue to revolutionise how the world perceive Africans and their foods.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Litmus: 3:50pm On Jan 16, 2020
...and all those worrying and bellyaching over Asians and whites turning their noses up at you African and moving aside when they see Africans, should learn to do the same to whites and Asians too. When you see them holding thire noses, hold your noses and move away also. No one holds monopoly on daft behaviour. If African treat these assess how these assess treat them, you will soon see changes. Who stinks more than Asians and whites? Racism persists because blacks are too tolerant of these bullies.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 3:55pm On Jan 16, 2020
Litmus:

They don’t cook in garage nattin, they cook in the house and it smells mightily like many good, cultural food with solid history should and whites love it. If Indians cooked them shit, the whites would jump in it and lap it all up. They Whites learned to appreciate all that comes with Indian food - smell, looks and texture. Nigerian foods are cultural too, good, healthy and with solid history. Nigerians just have to tolerate the snide and racist comments about their food, persist in cooking them in all their verity and glory - not silly Senegalese rice – but Nigerian ethnic foods and eventually the majority of people around the world adapt to it also. This is already happening and Nigerians should continue to revolutionise how the world perceive Africans and their foods.

You need to understand the difference between Indian food that has been changed and evolved to suit foreign taste and actual Indian curries that smell very strong and spicy.

Indians migrated to the UK a long time before Nigerians and have had the chance to perfect some fusion dishes that sit well with white audiences. And they're big in restaurant/take-away business.

You'd be surprised to know that some of those curries they sell to white people don't even exist in India, the same way "Italian food" in America has nothing to do with what they cook back in Italy. Italian people always complain that their food has been bastardised by their overseas cousins.

I agree though that eventually our foods will begin to filter through to mainstream audiences.

It's mostly a marketing problem. Eba and soup could look disgusting to some people in the way its presented even though they have no issue eating porridge, colcannon and other foods with similar texture.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by virago(f): 4:00pm On Jan 16, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
what about them stinky indians and their food... is that one ok?!

You're racist too angryangryangry
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Maski87: 4:14pm On Jan 16, 2020
Stok fish,kerefish,mangala,bushmeat,why wont the house smell of food
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by NaijadrivaCars: 4:15pm On Jan 16, 2020
Ofemannnu:

It could be Akpu or raw ponmo.Also ogiri and iru,outside soup,smell.I hate them.

I know you like this comment because "asim Ndi I've no na nma nu" cheesy
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Cousin9999: 4:37pm On Jan 16, 2020
She's some filthy Arab. She should be happy she hasn't been deported. She might even be a dirty half oyinbo.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by nengiscrib: 4:41pm On Jan 16, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

I hope you know this is also racist?
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Litmus: 4:43pm On Jan 16, 2020
midnighter:

You need to understand the difference between Indian food that has been changed and evolved to suit foreign taste and actual Indian curries that smell very strong and spicy.

Indians migrated to the UK a long time before Nigerians and have had the chance to perfect some fusion dishes that sit well with white audiences. And they're big in restaurant/take-away business.

You'd be surprised to know that some of those curries they sell to white people don't even exist in India, the same way "Italian food" in America has nothing to do with what they cook back in Italy. Italian people always complain that their food has been bastardised by their overseas cousins.

I agree though that eventually our foods will begin to filter through to mainstream audiences.

It's mostly a marketing problem. Eba and soup could look disgusting to some people in the way its presented even though they have no issue eating porridge, colcannon and other foods with similar texture.

Eba and soup has great potential - competent hands can and do create great visual effect manipulating the contrast between the different garri colours and the myriad soups. Actually, I would argue that Nigerians should replace Senegalese rice (jellof is too basic) with either ebba and soup or yam portage as the national signature dish. In addition, ebba and soup has the unique selling point of being perhaps the only dish around the world where dinners have to swallow without chewing, thus forcing diners to experience the triggering of taste-buds rarely used by people in contemporary dining. In fact, Nigerians when presenting Eba and soup to foreigners should insist that they swallow and not chew. This swallowing without chewing is a marketing point Nigerians neglect.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by seangy4konji: 4:46pm On Jan 16, 2020
Lleigh:

I cook all of that with no iru.
There has never been iru in my house.
na war ooo...I like it though..different people.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Cousin9999: 4:50pm On Jan 16, 2020
nengiscrib:

F**k Indians, bro. You can't be serious.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Cousin9999: 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2020
Litmus:

Eba and soup has great potential - competent hands can and do create great visual effect manipulating the contrast between the different garri colours and the myriad soups. Actually, I would argue that Nigerians should replace Senegalese rice (jellof is too basic) with either ebba and soup or yam portage as the national signature dish. In addition, ebba and soup has the unique selling point of being perhaps the only dish around the world where dinners have to swallow without chewing, thus forcing diners to experience the triggering of taste-buds rarely used by people in contemporary dining. In fact, Nigerians when presenting Eba and soup to foreigners should insist that they swallow and not chew. This swallowing without chewing is a marketing point Nigerians neglect.

Nigerians and other Africans do not need to market our food to whites. F**k them.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by LINTUNE(m): 4:54pm On Jan 16, 2020
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Litmus: 4:54pm On Jan 16, 2020
In addition, Nigerians should return to how Nigerians traditionally presented Ebba&soup. Nigerians traditionally presented ebba and soup in separate plates. Recently, and unfortunately, Nigerians are adopting the Ghana way of throwing soup over the Ebba in the same plate, which looks bad before eating and leads to a repulsive mess while eating.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by DMCY: 4:58pm On Jan 16, 2020
The stupid Oyin o wey talk this ehn, na awon omo ope(yahoo boys) go still collect all the rent money from her.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Litmus: 5:00pm On Jan 16, 2020
Cousin9999:

Nigerians and other Africans do not need to market our food to whites. F**k them.

I understand exactly what you mean; however, in this instance, the unspoken implication is about selling our foods to the world in order to encourage as much people as possible to visit Nigerian restaurants so that Nigerian restaurants thrive and Nigeria foods take their place among world dishes practiced and cooked by chefs and food writers.

Food makes money, it popularises Nations and encourages visits that in turn create employment and feeds the national coffers

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by AutoshalomUSA: 5:07pm On Jan 16, 2020
ikorodureporta:

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/uk-news/5169826/landlord-accused-of-shocking-racism-after-she-refuses-to-rent-room-to-gambian-man-as-africans-make-the-house-smell/amp/
Yea that’s messed up and straight up Racist !
But Honestly guys some of our African folks can be dirty and messy , as well as smelly .
Me personally don’t visit those living in apartments because immediately you leave from their place, your entire cloths will be consumed by whatever odor is prevalent in the air of their apt . “ Bros I’m outside your apartment is my favorite line “ .
I always cook with windows open, and must turn the Stove range on ! , and I cook like 2wice a week .It could be overwhelming sometimes the smell . All my Oyibo babes don tire for my fish smell , but they know I love my Tilapia, Mackerel , Cod and them ofcourse .Outdoor kitchen is ideal for Cooking traditional African dishes.....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Litmus: 5:12pm On Jan 16, 2020
Nigerian chefs could even add food colouring to Ebba to create even greater colour effects

Ok, I’ve written enough now, I’m off
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:15pm On Jan 16, 2020
nengiscrib:
virago:
You're racist too angryangryangry
Neoteny:
Now you're being racist too, hypocrite.
addexx:
u cant afford to be racist too. youre black!
3phase:
then you are a racist too
Jaynom:
You are being racist right now!
xtrim1:
This is racist as well. You don't fight racism with racism

racist for telling the truth?!?! african greasy food do indeed smell up homes, and so does Indian food... who are you trying to fool here?!?!?!

GermanMelania:
why do you feel the need to do this? Disgusting. Don't drag other people into it.
SEGLIZ:

here we go, what has Indians got to do with this?
you just ended up practicing what you were condemning.

thats because you foolishly think i was condemning them for not allowing Africans, while i WASNT as we all know that African greasy food do indeed make houses smell, but so does indian food.... yet they gladly rent these places to these stinky Indians and their food.

mmsen:
In 2017, one of the UK’s biggest buy-to-let landlords, Fergus Wilson, tried to ban “coloured” tenants because he claimed they made his properties smell of curry.
The irony of this is that this dumb bitch isn't even British. "Vimbsone"?

are you saying that you can only be British to claim that African/Indian greasy food stink up places?!?!?!
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by MrBrownJay1(m): 5:18pm On Jan 16, 2020
AutoshalomUSA:

Yea that’s messed up and straight up Racist !
But Honestly guys some of our African folks can be dirty and messy , as well as smelly .
Me personally don’t visit those living in apartments because immediately you leave from their place, your entire cloths will be consumed by whatever odor is prevalent in the air of their apt . “ Bros I’m outside your apartment is my favorite line “ .
I always cook with windows open, and must turn the Stove range on ! , and I cook like 2wice a week .It could be overwhelming sometimes the smell . All my Oyibo babes don tire for my fish smell , but they know I love my Tilapia, Mackerel , Cod and them ofcourse .Outdoor kitchen is ideal for Cooking traditional African dishes.....

sadly, the above is the hard truth and many will come here to blame landlords from being honest, while i certainly understand that what they are saying is true....AFRICAN GREASY food (especially Senegalese/Malian) do indeed stink up places....and so does indian food.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 5:21pm On Jan 16, 2020
Litmus:

Swallowing it is not too healthy actually, according to some recent medical advice. But another good selling point is the fact that its traditionally eaten with the hands.

The main aspects to market are the flavours, cooking methods and the aesthetics. Western cooking favours sharp angles, edges, daintiness and precision. A giant lump of Eba doesn't chime with those sensibilities.

Probably if you served it as small, bitesize Eba "packages" with the soup held inside (with some kind of sealing agent to stop them from leaking), it may appeal more than our usual method.

Of course, rice is a lot easier to market, if the ingredients are altered to taste. The crayfish/shrimp and brightly coloured vegetables would appeal to a lot of people. Yam pottage is very good too because of the muted colours and contrasting textures.

And we have a lot of cool snacks, especially sweet desserts from the north.

We have a lot to offer sha
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by midnighter(f): 5:37pm On Jan 16, 2020
Litmus:

I understand exactly what you mean; however, in this instance, the unspoken implication is about selling our foods to the world in order to encourage as much people as possible to visit Nigerian restaurants so that Nigerian restaurants thrive and Nigeria foods take their place among world dishes practiced and cooked by chefs and food writers.

Food makes money, it popularises Nations and encourages visits that in turn create employment and feeds the national coffers

Exactly, it's funny how many Indian, Chinese and Thai restaurants you will see dotted around any major city, even when a lot of them are racist against those people.

Food is power.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Jimbadly: 6:22pm On Jan 16, 2020
MrBrownJay1:

She clearly stated that she wanted only European tenants. Apparently their food have more agreeable aroma.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:39pm On Jan 16, 2020
Jimbadly:
She clearly stated that she wanted only European tenants. Apparently their food have more agreeable aroma.

... until she rents the apt to Portuguese people.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by RaptorX: 7:27pm On Jan 16, 2020
nengiscrib:

So what if it is racist. Africans need to stop being apologetic, it is a cowardly behavior. Everyone is racist so stop all this we are the world mentality.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Basher8583: 7:29pm On Jan 16, 2020
BlackSeptember:
I love my Nigerian foods anyday and anywhere.

P. S I mean Afang and not ewedu biko.

Yoruba people can cook smelly food with that iru or that funny smell they mix in their soup which makes them to fart

Then simply call it Biafran food
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by rafcrown(m): 7:52pm On Jan 16, 2020
Tribalists and Racists are the same.
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by tck2000(m): 8:27pm On Jan 16, 2020
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by tck2000(m): 8:33pm On Jan 16, 2020
Litmus:

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by alexola20(m): 9:21pm On Jan 16, 2020
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by CiciBaller: 9:28pm On Jan 16, 2020
Hmmmm...that is quite absurd

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

When The House Is Shared After The Death Of Its Owner (SEE BUILDING) / Beautiful Architectural Designs You Won't See In Nigeria / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.