Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,429 members, 7,815,967 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation (68943 Views)

My Neighbor Denies Me Sleep With His Generator / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Ghanaian Landlord Drinks Beer After His Arrest For Land Scam (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Chukkychukky(m): 9:25am On Jan 16, 2020
My brother its not racism its her choice even here where i reside the landlord dnt allow any other tribe except igbo, so d compound is only igbo

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by dustydee: 9:25am On Jan 16, 2020
The smell of some of the things we cook can be very uncomfortable. Imagine cooking with stockfish, crayfish or Locust beans, things can get unbearable especially if it's a multi tenant apartment. Also the smell tends to linger on even after the tenant leave and the landlord will have to make arrangements to deodorise the property.
It is however wrong for her to refuse renting the property to him but she could have put restrictions in the tenancy agreement.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by lahizak: 9:25am On Jan 16, 2020
Commentor:

What you don't realise is it is racial discrimination and she could be jailed for it.
What will u say abt naija landlord wey no dey rent hauz to d indian people because d former indian almost burn him hauz down tru smoking

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Commentor: 9:25am On Jan 16, 2020
OiOi:
I believe it's subject to argument in court. She can't sacrifice her health in a house smelling of over burnt stew... If she is aysmathic

Her statement from Facebook says only Europeans.

You can argue what you like in court but if it is found to be discriminatory she could wind up in jail.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by bolayei: 9:26am On Jan 16, 2020
Openbusiness:
That's not racism. People have preferences. She only wants to rent to Europeans. Nothing wrong with that.

It is racial. He is black african and most Europeans are whites. Anither way she could have word it is "I only rent to white people".

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by MarianaTrench: 9:26am On Jan 16, 2020
Ayofaks:
That must be the work of okporoko and ogiri grin grin

grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Antoeni(m): 9:26am On Jan 16, 2020
It’s Only the Yoruba People cooking that Have this very Offensive Odour when Cooking that their Yeye Soup

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by DSoj(m): 9:27am On Jan 16, 2020
Let's be sincere, its true na. Even us we open all windows n doors when cooking.
Our food na wa.
That's why oyinbo have their kitchens attached to their sitting rooms but our kitchens n sitting rooms are miles apart. Some kitchen sef na backyard dem dey.
U cook food, 3 days its still smelling on ur curtains..
U cook food, people for next street will know u cooking becos of smell, na that time they will come and visit.

OUR FOOD DEY SMELL , let's talk true abeg.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Commentor: 9:27am On Jan 16, 2020
lahizak:

What will u say abt naija landlord wey no dey rent hauz to d indian people because d former indian almost burn him hauz down tru smoking

You can say what you like about any landlord in Nigeria. That is not the question here.

In UK, if it can be proven she is discriminating on race, gender, sexual orientation and religion, she could be jailed.

It is up to you to continue embracing primitive customs.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Bradiyung(m): 9:28am On Jan 16, 2020
this lady might be right though.

But I blame the Nigerians who can't seperate their kitchen activities from their living room, if it's air freshener they want to use they should use it cuz it doesn't make sense to smell what you are cooking in the living room and the stench will just be there
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Sterope(f): 9:28am On Jan 16, 2020
That is for her to figure out. If she doesn't like the smell why should she have to suffer through it when she has a choice.

youngestgrad:

This is one of the reasons black Americans don't like Africans especially Nigerians, We Idolize white skinned people nothing they do is wrong in our eyes. The white landlady says the house is open to only Europeans because of smell of African food, have any of you smelt Greek food, IDIOTS!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by wman(m): 9:29am On Jan 16, 2020
Tribalists everywhere.

Ya'll have no right to condemn the woman for being racist.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by bolayei: 9:30am On Jan 16, 2020
Smellingrillmea:

U are not exposed.....she is not doing it cos of food that smells she just does not want
Black
Indians
Asians
.she specified Europeans.....they are white

But you are not smart so u belive anything

Gbam.. You forgot to include English people too. These Europeans hate everyone except people from their village

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by JaceBlaze: 9:30am On Jan 16, 2020
I feel the same way about curry laced Indian food.That smell is intolerable.This lady brave tho lol

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Jaymaestro(m): 9:31am On Jan 16, 2020
wman:
Tribalists everywhere.

Ya'll have no right to condemn the woman for being racist.

Thanks. I don't think Africans have that right to call Whites Racist anymore. Their tribalism in itself is enough.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by IYANGBALI: 9:31am On Jan 16, 2020
I go die o grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by AreaFada2: 9:32am On Jan 16, 2020
rotile247:

At the end the lady stated it was Nigerians cooking smell in the house that made her deny the Gambian rent. She had concluded only White Europeans cook food that don't smell.

What the idiot oyinbo woman does not know is that the cauliflower, garlic and many other things they cook smell abhorrent to people from cultures where those foods are not regular food.

Even though I sometimes eat garlic, I can still smell garlic in the sweat/skin of those who eat it regularly.

What is smell to one group is flavour to another.

Imagine if it's Africans who eat the typical French cheeses. Strong smell of cheeses wafting through the chic streets of Paris from the ubiquitous "fromageries" is considered part of a sophisticated food culture. It would be called being dirty if it was African.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by lahizak: 9:32am On Jan 16, 2020
Commentor:

You can say what you like about any landlord in Nigeria. That is not the question here.

In UK, if it can be proven she is discriminating on race, gender, sexual orientation and religion, she could be jailed.

Good point.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by decub: 9:33am On Jan 16, 2020
Commentor:

What you don't realise is it is racial discrimination and she could be jailed for it.
I don't think it's racism. She was explicit and anyone can understand her reasons; she doesn't want people from a particular race because of the smell of their food and seriously, some Nigerian spices (iru and ogiri) could make you take certain decisions cos u don't want to inconvenience the other tenant(s). She already knows she can't tell you the type of food you would cook as her tenant so she would rather prevent it in the first place. Also, some people are not considerate of others when using such stinking stuff that they leave exposed for a long time.

Even as a Nigerian and a lover of local delicacies, I hate those 2 stuffs I just mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by bolayei: 9:34am On Jan 16, 2020
Antoeni:
It’s Only the Yoruba People cooking that Have this very Offensive Odour when Cooking that their Yeye Soup

Ibos TOO. To a non Nigerian, egusi, ogbono, shaki, palm oil, beans, jollof rice stinks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by joefelin2345: 9:35am On Jan 16, 2020
ikorodureporta:
ewedu + kpanla + kpomo + iru..... + Amala cheesy

“ She even tried to play it down by saying how she has Nigerian friends and that all their houses smell like what they cook,” he concluded.

You must be out of your senses. How does ewedu n amala smell?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Realdollars: 9:36am On Jan 16, 2020
No matter what you cook, proper hygiene is important, if you clean up after cooking with good deodorant the landlord won't complain. Oyibo food dey smell too but they neat.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Smellingrillmea: 9:36am On Jan 16, 2020
OiOi:
I believe it's subject to argument in court. She can't sacrifice her health in a house smelling of over burnt stew... If she is aysmathic

Go and sit down it is discrimination......burnt food can't give u an asthma attack and u have smoke detector......

Has nothing to do with food she is racist is sad to see people so naive in NIGERIA...that is why buhari can rule

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by ikorodureporta: 9:36am On Jan 16, 2020
dustydee:
The smell of some of the things we cook can be very uncomfortable. Imagine cooking with stockfish, crayfish or Locust beans, things can get unbearable especially if it's a multi tenant apartment. Also the smell tends to linger on even after the tenant leave and the landlord will have to make arrangements to deodorise the property.
It is however wrong for her to refuse renting the property to him but she could have put restrictions in the tenancy agreement.
cheesy
Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by iyababs: 9:37am On Jan 16, 2020
If you have the time to treat her Bleep up,report her to tenancy rights .She will be punnished ,she has no right to discriminate..It is not funny at all.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Sterope(f): 9:39am On Jan 16, 2020
What yeye soup? Most Nigerian tribes use dry ingredient and locust beans. You cannot avoid a strong smell if use any of the two, for non Nigerians they will definitely find it too strong.

Antoeni:
It’s Only the Yoruba People cooking that Have th

is very Offensive Odour when Cooking that their Yeye Soup

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by AreaFada2: 9:39am On Jan 16, 2020
Commentor:

I suspect the landlady is not British. Likely from Eastern Europe. They do not yet have the more sophisticated "coded" way the British use to discriminate.

A British person would have said "the viewer who came to see it yesterday has just confirmed by phone they will take the room. Sorry for the journey here". Or something along those lines. cheesy grin

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Commentor: 9:39am On Jan 16, 2020
decub:

I don't think it's racism. She was explicit and anyone can understand her reasons; she doesn't want people from a particular race because of the smell of their food and seriously, some Nigerian spices (iru and ogiri) could make you take certain decisions cos u don't want to inconvenience the other tenant(s). She already knows she can't tell you the type of food you would cook as her tenant so she would rather prevent it in the first place. Also, some people are not considerate of others when using such stinking stuff that they leave exposed for a long time.

Even as a Nigerian and a lover of local delicacies, I hate those 2 stuffs I just mentioned.

I don't like gay people because they eat ass which would smell everywhere.

I don't like Christian's because they put crosses everywhere in their home by so doing rendering it an eyesore.

I don't like muslims because they always appear aggressive.

I don't like women because they are argumentative.

I don't like men because they bring in various women.

All these arguments are discriminatory and capable of landing one in jail.

What you may tolerate in a 3rd world country is a serious crime elsewhere.

For those of you justifying it, I can imagine you make a trip outside the country and you get the same treatment causing you to pay a lot more than the average because some idiot suggests your meals smell.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Jaynom(m): 9:40am On Jan 16, 2020
MrBrownJay1:
what about them stinky indians and their food... is that one ok?!
You are being racist right now!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by alexola20(m): 9:41am On Jan 16, 2020

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Cooking Makes House Smell: London Landlord Denies Gambian Accommodation by Emmerlee(m): 9:41am On Jan 16, 2020
Racism abroad tribalism at home. Bunch of brain deads.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

When The House Is Shared After The Death Of Its Owner (SEE BUILDING) / Beautiful Architectural Designs You Won't See In Nigeria / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.