Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:57 PM

#JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers (58892 Views)

2 Widows Accused Of Being Witches Tortured To Death In Cross River (Graphic Pics / Nene Steve & Joy Aboel: Housemaid Tortured To Death, Hanged To Fake Suicide / Man Who Rapes People's Wives In Delta, Caught, Tied & Almost Tortured To Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Osesedney: 10:04pm On Jan 17, 2020
This is just about the saddest story I have ever ready except this is not a story it actually reality....?
I saw it on Twitter.... This evening..!
I can't just Imagine...
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Jabioro: 10:12pm On Jan 17, 2020
ChikezieU:
. The man's Life is in danger now...the instincts of the police men involved including that their commander will be to eliminate the Only standing witness... call it unknown gunmen or kidnapping
Yes..but there are many odd against the officers,he was not the only witness..the cell log book,the statement,the lawyer and the court charges..the court charges declare him to be at large..whereas the co detainees are alive..

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Mrpojj(m): 10:14pm On Jan 17, 2020
Mophasa:
As narrated by a Facebook user, Comrade Phils

#JusticeForChima: Police Kill Innocent Mechanic, Falsely Accuse and Torture Colleagues In Port Harcourt

This story will leave you in tears... I had to call the victim's brother to be sure this was real. He cried as he narrated how his brother was tortured to death at the Mile one police station. I cried listening to him. But I will not only cry, I will push for justice for this poor soul and his family.

Full story as narrated by the man that gave the mechanic his car to repair before the police killed him.

EAGLE-CRACK(a.k.a E-CRACK) POLICE MILE 1 PHC RIVERS STATE KILLS INNOCENT MECHANIC AND SENDS 4 INNOCENT PERSONS TO PRISON

I gave my car to my usual mechanic to fix AC Gas on the 19th of Dec 2019. Called him several times on the 20th and did not get an answer. I decided to visit his shop physically at Ikoku to find out that my car and the mechanic are nowhere to be found. I asked fellow mechanics around and one said he saw when the mechanic was driving one way and he suspects that he might have been apprehended by the Police. My mind came down a bit after hearing this.

I started visiting Police Stations in Port-Harcourt one after the other making enquiries until I got to Mile 1 Police Station and I saw my car parked in front of the Eagle Crack Police Division(a.k.a E-Crack). I felt relief thinking that the Police is my friend, I was totally wrong. I presented myself quickly at the front desk to say that the car belongs to me and I want to know the reason it got to this place. I was shocked to be pointed a gun by one of the officers and I was asked to leave before I get shot. Wow.... I wondered what crime I could have committed to present myself as the owner of my car. But I had to leave before I get shot.

I got to my house and was drafting a strategy to attack this issue. It was exactly 2hours later when I noticed a knock on my gate. I opened my gate to see a young man who introduced himself as “Obinna the brother to Chima”. Chima is the name of my mechanic. He asked me my name which I told him and that he was directed by his brother to meet me. So I asked him quickly if he knew the reason for the arrest. He said Chima told him that he and his boys were testing two cars, 3 boys in a camry and 2 boys in my car, after doing some work on them. The traffic in Port-Harcourt around that time was terrible and they decided to drive one way.

The police apprehend them and asked them for money. They offered an amount which was not comfortable for the Police officers. The eyes of the Police officers were completely red looking for money to solve their Christmas matters as this usually happens during the Christmas festive period in Nigeria. The police officers immediately changed the case to robbery, accusing the boys of robbing the two cars.

The officers asked the boys to raise their hands and searched their pockets. They found money in each of the pockets of the boys. According to Obinna, N97,000.00(ninety seven thousand naira) was found on Chima, N50,000.00 (Fifty thousand naira) on one of them, N16,000.00(Sixteen thousand) on another etc, totally over N150,000.00(one hundred and fifty thousand naira) in their pockets. In the minds of the Police officers; (we can not afford to loose this money we have seen physically in their pockets. Our Christmas is guaranteed a success if we can obtain all the money). Which indeed they achieved.

Hand cuffed all of them, took their money and their telephones and arraigned them to the Police Station. Getting to the station, hung this boys upside down in fan hooks and started brutality on them with various weapons. The youngest of them which is only 19yrs was almost at the point of death and accepted to confess whatever they ask him to say. He started making false confession about my car, he agreed that my car was rubbed and that, the car belongs to a lady and that, they jumped into the ladies compound, broke the glass of the car, opened the door and used a master key to start the car. Broke the gate and drove off.

This was the information I got from Mr. Obinna. At least I know the reason why my car is there. So I made contact with the Nigerian Air force Base who sent 2 soldiers to accompany me in my next visit. The two soldiers arrived my residence and accompanied me.
On arrival at the Mile 1 E-Crack Division, the IPO in charge of the case was very rude to the air force soldiers, insulting them saying that this is purely a civilian case and a case of robbery. The soldiers got angry and asked me if they can start beating up the police officers, I calmly told them not to do so as it will make matters worse for the innocent boys in police custody. So I left with the officers. I then called the Air force Commander and updated him on current status, he asked me if I had copies of my car papers, I told him I would get them and revert him accordingly.

I searched in my house for the car papers and did not find. But I remembered that my Driver was the one who renewed the papers not up to 2months back. So I asked my driver for the papers and he informed me that he forgot the original and photocopies inside my car. I asked him to call the man at Inland Revenue to print copies. I got the copies and contacted the Air force Commander again to let him know that I have the papers.
The Commander joined me to the Police Station on 23rd of Dec 2019. We met the Commander of E-Crack, I noticed the name on his uniform as Benson. The Air force Commander introduced himself and introduced me as his brother. Mr. Benson called the IPO of the case to come and narrate the story. The IPO explained how the boys jumped into a ladies compound, broke the glass of the car, used master key to start the car, broke the gate and drove off. That they, the police officers apprehended the boys at the point of sale. That the boys were communicating with the buyer from Aba and that one of the boys have already confessed to the crime.

After hearing this, at first I was wondering if it was some Nigerian movie the man was narrating or was he talking about my car? The E-Crack Commander now asked the IPO to bring the boy who made the confession. The boy was brought in after 2mins limping seriously with smelling wounds. The E-Crack Commander now asked the boy to tell the truth that no one would torture him. The boy now started talking by saying that he is only an apprenticed under his Boss “Chima”, that the car belongs to Chima's customer, that he made the false confession because he was tortured almost to the point of death, at this point, he stretched his arms with handcuffs towards the commander showing him the smelling wounds.

The E-Crack Commander now asked the IPO to return the boy. I now told the E-Crack Commander that I have copies of my car papers here which I got from the Inland Revenue today as my driver forgot the original papers as well as the photocopies in my car, is it possible for the IPO to check my car, get all the papers in it and we compare with what is in my hands. The E-Crack commander agreed and sent the IPO to get the papers.
After 3mins, the IPO came back and said there were no papers in the car. Well, I have copies right in front of us, I asked the commander if the copies I am presenting can be verified, and he concurred. I left the station with the Air force Commander.

On the 30th of December 2019. I returned to the police station and met the commander to verify if my presented documents have been verified. He called the IPO and the IPO confirmed that the documents are authentic. The commander now asked me my full name and I told him. He says that the name on the papers bears the same surname but different first name, why is this so? I explained that, the first name and second name on the car papers belong to my younger sister. He insisted that I must bring her to the station. So I called my sister and picked her up at her office and brought her to the station. I presented her to the commander.

The commander asked how long she has been using the car and she confirmed that it is over 2yrs. He asked the IPO to release my car as well as the second car which was an old model camry. Before leaving his office, I asked about the boys because I still have an unfinished business with my mechanic. He asked me how long I have known the mechanic, I told him that I have known the mechanic for more than 4years and that the mechanic fixes all my cars. The Commander now told me that he is investigating a case of cultism against all the boys. I wondered in my mind how a case of charged “Robbery” could change to cultism. I had no choice other than to leave the station with my car. On the 2nd of January 2020, I got a call from a Barrister saying that he was engaged by the families of the boys in custody. That he has spoken with the Commander with regards to the case. That he was shocked to know that the commander was now working as a commander in that division as he has long known him. That in fact the man is his friend. He continued by saying that the commander told him that the case is a bad one, his boys have over worked. Speaking in pigeon saying "de case don spoil, my boys don over work" The Barrister did not understand. The Barrister kept on insisting until the man opened up to say that my mechanic "Chima" is dead. He was tortured to death.

The Barrister now asked him where the corpse is. The Commander says that he does not trust him enough to reveal that kind of classified information. That the best thing he can do for the remaining 4boys, is to look for a small charge to charge them, so that as soon as they get to the court, bail will be granted easily. He asked the Barrister to come the next day. According to the Barrister, as soon as he left the police station, the Commander immediately charged the boys to court that same day on the charge of my car robbery and cultism. After hearing this from the Barr., I again thought, the police has released my car to me after verifying that it is my car and I never told them that my car was ever robbed, why did they still charge the boys for my car robbery? I later found out the answer which I will say shortly after. As I write this story, the remaining 4boys are in prison custody with wounds getting rotten and smelling. Chima that the police killed is tagged as "At Large". The answer to my question came out when the families of the deceased visited the court to see a copy of the charge sheet confirming that the police wrote on it that the owner of the car, which is supposed to me, confirmed to them that his car was stolen as described. I have never made such a statement anywhere. My car was never robbed.

The families of the boys visited the prison in Port-Harcourt to see their loved ones and insisted to take photographs after seeing the wounds of some of them excreting water and decayed substances. The prison warders said each photograph will cost them N15,000.00 (Fifteen Thousand Naira) each. The families not being able to afford the money, left the prison sobering.

At this moment of my life, I and my family members are very scared of the police. I wanted to send my brother out with my car, immediately I realized that his drivers license is in process. I got scared and did not engage him anymore, because if police can take a life because of “one way driving”, then it means they can take a life for not having Drivers License and many more.

As I write this message, my wife is beside me shivering and saying that I should make the message anonymous, for fear that I could get killed by the police for making it public.

Please if I get any mosquito bite, you know who is responsible.

I came to know that the deceased mechanic got married just six months ago and that his wife is a few months pregnant.

Again, the families of the 5 boys are in abject poverty and could not even afford lawyer fees to follow up the case. What a shame.

BELOW NAMES OF PERSONS INVOLVED:

Victor Ogbonna
Osaze Friday
Ifeanyi Osuji
Ifeanyi Onyekwere
Chima Ikwunado (Killed By Police)

SP. Benson Adetuyi (Commander E-Crack)
Mile1 Police Station, PortHarcourt, Rivers State Nigeria.

Inspector Sam (IPO)
Chima Ikwunado (RIP)

See photos of the deceased,Chima Ikwunado, his boy and his wife.

Share this and tag the Nigerian police until we get justice for Chima.

https://m.facebook.com/comradephils/

I just tire for Nigeria
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by adolfHitler1934: 10:35pm On Jan 17, 2020
soberdrunk:
Four lives destroyed plus "One murder" because of "150,000 naira" "$416" and people will still argue that the black race isn't flawed/cursed..... angry
The black man is inferior and not capable of leadership or scientific knowledge. All he knows is dance, sex and food....nothing more.

The black race is cursed and can never measure up to the Arien race.

Hitler is coming.
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by ChikezieU(m): 10:47pm On Jan 17, 2020
Jabioro:
Yes..but there are many odd against the officers,he was not the only witness..the cell log book,the statement,the lawyer and the court charges..the court charges declare him to be at large..whereas the co detainees are alive..
. You can say that again... Nigeria has slowly become a country where everyone is on its own, he can't do it alone bro he has even shown he has the Courage and conscience but don't be surprised that if he goes at large no one(strong enough) will look for him. What people thinks about now is material benefits no one gives a Bleep about humanity except a handful but they don't show their face cause the world (present day human's) hates them. Think about when he came with the Airforce guy to meet the Officer in charge, the commander should have retraced the steps of his men before it becomes late still after playing a responsible officer before an air force commander changed the charges to cultism. How can we say now he was not part of it from the onset. Now the lawyer that call him should have tipped some human rights agencies but he did nothing other than phone call to the witness. Don't surprised they are testing his willingness to pursue the matter. He has done the first part other good Nigerians should take the matter up and the man should only come to light when the case has gained enough public audience and serious pressure from the top of affairs otherwise it will end up a case without a witness as

2 Likes

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Jalabase(m): 10:52pm On Jan 17, 2020
ediko5:

Who's this nuisance ?

A very important issue is being discussed and you jump in to post trash. Dont think it doesn't affect you because tomorrow you'll also be the one to complain that police arrested and labelled you a YAHOO BOY because you carried a laptop.

Goan and sleep jorr
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Nostradamus: 11:37pm On Jan 17, 2020
meezynetwork:
Which justice when u would have allowed the air force people to beat all the police men in that station. Which Justice can ever bring back chima to life for his new pregnant wife again. Death to all the police people
the bolded would have led to more chaos as those dunce in black would have opened fire on the airforce officials and the o.p also..

I always say this and i will keep saying it,the nigerian police force is a big disgrace to the term 'police' our insensitive government derive sadistic pleasure in arming these animals

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by ollyruffy: 3:07am On Jan 18, 2020
This is why I never have a pity for any nigerian police man or woman when misfortune catches them.

This is a very sad story.

#Justice for Chima#

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Ghostlord: 4:13am On Jan 18, 2020
Post this on twitter and tag @segalink
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Sherry101: 4:20am On Jan 18, 2020
Tag @segalink and those police officers will be dealt with

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Nobody: 4:23am On Jan 18, 2020
Xisnin:
This isn't enough, he should also petition the IG of police, human write commission and various human rights group.

Your written English can raise the dead from the grave.. Illiterate..
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Cherez: 7:30am On Jan 18, 2020
dominique:

Go and tell that to the loved ones of people that have been killed by reckless drivers that drove on the wrong lane. If the deceased hadn't broken rules, maybe this terrible tragedy would have been avoided. They know the kind of police they have and they literally drove themselves into their hands. You're now expecting me not to highlight the exact reason that landed him in problem in the the first place. You must be a joker

I just wonder the kind of beast Nigeria has grown out of its citizens. You seriously typed this rubbish?
So cos he flaunted a road rule, he was tortured to death and then framed?
Maybe we should pray that anytime you flaunt even the slightest rule, you should face same fate? Would you like it?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Cherez: 7:33am On Jan 18, 2020
Ryan03:
but you guys use few police men to judge the entire force? undecided
Bros, I am over 30 and I can tell you that I cannot remember more than 2cases I have witnessed myself where the police behaved well.
I mean, those guys are beasts and over 90% of them are

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by davillian(m): 8:46am On Jan 18, 2020

I hate the Nigerian police and I pray never to have anything to do with them....

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Xisnin(m): 9:07am On Jan 18, 2020
Livecamp09:

Your written English can raise the dead from the grave.. Illiterate..
You deserve a befitting reply but I don't want to complicate your life problems.
It will be evil of me to torment an emotionally unstable and depressed soul.
Get well soon!

2 Likes

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by realstars: 10:25am On Jan 18, 2020
Thanks for the correction
alexola20:
How was ur waec/jamb??lol
Mr.Obinna is the brother to the deceased mechanic Chima,RIP.

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by adidison(m): 10:52am On Jan 18, 2020
"As I write this message, my wife is beside me shivering and saying that I should make the message anonymous, for fear that I could get killed by the police for making it public."

Make the msg Anonymous but they know your the owner of the car and you def must have written a statement or something with your name or they have the original copy of your papers ... hate to break it to the guy but he is 2 paragraphs late of making it anonymous.
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by tempel(m): 11:49am On Jan 18, 2020
Always remember the police is not your friend. Avoid them. They are another source of death in this country yet to be classified.

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by maasoap(m): 12:37pm On Jan 18, 2020
ebby9z:

It doesn't make sense to say "we need to stop breaking laws." Laws will always be broken, that's why we have the police to punish law breakers using stipulated punishment laid out in the constitution.

The penalty for driving one-way is not death. There's a penalty for it and the police should stick to that. Stop this please.

Firstly, it doesn't make sense to you when someone advocated for law breakers to stop, may be you should go out and encourage more people to break the laws just because people will continue to break the laws.

Secondly, no one said that penalty for driving against the traffic is death, stop this emotional reaction. The guy you quoted didn't justify the killing of Chima. He only used this to make a separate appeal for people to driving against the traffic because themselves are potential murderers. Likewise, me too.

Thirdly, you said "stop this please". Like it is some kind of justification when both of us clearly expressed that the appeals weren't some kind of justification.

PEOPLE SHOULD STOP DRIVING AGAINST THE TRAFFIC!!!
You're free to go out there and encourage them otherwise, your choice.

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by ebby9z(m): 12:50pm On Jan 18, 2020
maasoap:

Firstly, it doesn't make sense to you when someone advocated for law breakers to stop, may be you should go out and encourage more people to break the laws just because people will continue to break the laws.

Secondly, no one said that penalty for driving against the traffic is death, stop this emotional reaction. The guy you quoted didn't justify the killing of Chima. He only used this to make a separate appeal for people to driving against the traffic because themselves are potential murderers. Likewise, me too.

Thirdly, you said "stop this please". Like it is some kind of justification when both of us clearly expressed that the appeals weren't some kind of justification.

PEOPLE SHOULD STOP DRIVING AGAINST THE TRAFFIC!!!
You're free to go out there and encourage them otherwise, your choice.

Lol. You're the one being emotional and not being rational. The solution is not that people should stop driving against traffic because people will ALWAYS break laws. Not only in Nigeria but all over the world. That is why there is law enforcement. I'm surprised anyone has to be explaining this to you. People should be encouraged and admonished against breaking the law and anybody who goes against it must be punished in accordance to the law.
It however is very insensitive and unnecessary to blame the victim for driving against the law here because that is not the point of this conversation. The warning would have made sense elsewhere. The content is right but the context isn't.

Everybody rallying against this KNOWS he broke the law by driving against traffic but that does not justify him being killed.
Its basically saying
"You guys should try not to drive against traffic so that police won't kill you."
Stop blaming victims.
It seems very hard for Nigerians to grasp. The victim will always be blamed to make excuses for a dysfunctional system.
Sad.

4 Likes

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by ebby9z(m): 12:53pm On Jan 18, 2020
Cherez:

I just wonder the kind of beast Nigeria has grown out of its citizens. You seriously typed this rubbish?
So cos he flaunted a road rule, he was tortured to death and then framed?
Maybe we should pray that anytime you flaunt even the slightest rule, you should face same fate? Would you like it?
It is very unfortunate. The reason these things have kept happening is that Nigerians low-key justify it. The abnormality finds justification somewhere in the back of Nigerians' minds.

Shebi he drove against traffic, maybe he deserved it. That's the underlining psychology behind jungle justice and high handedness. Nigerians love it... low-key.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by ifud(m): 1:24pm On Jan 18, 2020
The good ones are still there... We should not throw the baby away with the bathing water...
Ryan03:
why tag the same police again, they are all the same people, go and fight your fight
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by maasoap(m): 1:33pm On Jan 18, 2020
ebby9z:

Lol. You're the one being emotional and not being rational. The solution is not that people should stop driving against traffic because people will ALWAYS break laws. Not only in Nigeria but all over the world. That is why there is law enforcement. I'm surprised anyone has to be explaining this to you. People should be encouraged and admonished against breaking the law and anybody who goes against it must be punished in accordance to the law.
It however is very insensitive and unnecessary to blame the victim for driving against the law here because that is not the point of this conversation. The warning would have made sense elsewhere. The content is right but the context isn't.

Everybody rallying against this KNOWS he broke the law by driving against traffic but that does not justify him being killed.
Its basically saying
"You guys should try not to drive against traffic so that police won't kill you."

This is where you got it wrong. Why are you finding it difficult to let go? Despite the fact that the guy condemned the killing. His appeal stands.

Stop blaming victims.
It seems very hard for Nigerians to grasp. The victim will always be blamed to make excuses for a dysfunctional system.
Sad.

The guy didn't blame the victim, I didn't blame the victim. Not that he did the right thing but it shouldn't have led to loss of his life. The police killed him not because of his offence but because the police are corrupt as it was narrated in the story.

PEOPLE SHOULD STOP DRIVING AGAINST THE TRAFFIC IN NIGERIA!!!
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by einsteine(m): 2:06pm On Jan 18, 2020
I hope all the people arguing that the Nigerian police is less corrupt than their counterparts in Mexico can read this.

Tonnyray

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Platony(m): 4:56pm On Jan 18, 2020
Mile One Police Station.

The most criminal Police Station in Rivers State.

They have Very Bad Records!!

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Tonnyray: 6:18pm On Jan 18, 2020
einsteine:
I hope all the people arguing that the Nigerian police is less corrupt than their counterparts in Mexico can read this.
Tonnyray
The mention is totally unnecessary sir as the ambience of this thread is an angry and at the same time sober one.
You only have to provide evidence that worse things are not perpetrated in those other countries identified by the research outcomes in the links quoted in that thread. Let us make this an evidence based discussion.
And you could have simply posted this link to that thread instead of disturbing the angst and melancholic ambience of this one.
Reply with evidence if you got any.. not sentiments.
Have a nice day.

@topic: Heartfelt condolences to the family of the unfortunate victim.

3 Likes

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Rhea(f): 6:52pm On Jan 18, 2020
Mophasa:
As narrated by a Facebook user, Comrade Phils

#JusticeForChima: Police Kill Innocent Mechanic, Falsely Accuse and Torture Colleagues In Port Harcourt

This story will leave you in tears... I had to call the victim's brother to be sure this was real. He cried as he narrated how his brother was tortured to death at the Mile one police station. I cried listening to him. But I will not only cry, I will push for justice for this poor soul and his family.

Full story as narrated by the man that gave the mechanic his car to repair before the police killed him.

EAGLE-CRACK(a.k.a E-CRACK) POLICE MILE 1 PHC RIVERS STATE KILLS INNOCENT MECHANIC AND SENDS 4 INNOCENT PERSONS TO PRISON

I gave my car to my usual mechanic to fix AC Gas on the 19th of Dec 2019. Called him several times on the 20th and did not get an answer. I decided to visit his shop physically at Ikoku to find out that my car and the mechanic are nowhere to be found. I asked fellow mechanics around and one said he saw when the mechanic was driving one way and he suspects that he might have been apprehended by the Police. My mind came down a bit after hearing this.

I started visiting Police Stations in Port-Harcourt one after the other making enquiries until I got to Mile 1 Police Station and I saw my car parked in front of the Eagle Crack Police Division(a.k.a E-Crack). I felt relief thinking that the Police is my friend, I was totally wrong. I presented myself quickly at the front desk to say that the car belongs to me and I want to know the reason it got to this place. I was shocked to be pointed a gun by one of the officers and I was asked to leave before I get shot. Wow.... I wondered what crime I could have committed to present myself as the owner of my car. But I had to leave before I get shot.

I got to my house and was drafting a strategy to attack this issue. It was exactly 2hours later when I noticed a knock on my gate. I opened my gate to see a young man who introduced himself as “Obinna the brother to Chima”. Chima is the name of my mechanic. He asked me my name which I told him and that he was directed by his brother to meet me. So I asked him quickly if he knew the reason for the arrest. He said Chima told him that he and his boys were testing two cars, 3 boys in a camry and 2 boys in my car, after doing some work on them. The traffic in Port-Harcourt around that time was terrible and they decided to drive one way.

The police apprehend them and asked them for money. They offered an amount which was not comfortable for the Police officers. The eyes of the Police officers were completely red looking for money to solve their Christmas matters as this usually happens during the Christmas festive period in Nigeria. The police officers immediately changed the case to robbery, accusing the boys of robbing the two cars.

The officers asked the boys to raise their hands and searched their pockets. They found money in each of the pockets of the boys. According to Obinna, N97,000.00(ninety seven thousand naira) was found on Chima, N50,000.00 (Fifty thousand naira) on one of them, N16,000.00(Sixteen thousand) on another etc, totally over N150,000.00(one hundred and fifty thousand naira) in their pockets. In the minds of the Police officers; (we can not afford to loose this money we have seen physically in their pockets. Our Christmas is guaranteed a success if we can obtain all the money). Which indeed they achieved.

Hand cuffed all of them, took their money and their telephones and arraigned them to the Police Station. Getting to the station, hung this boys upside down in fan hooks and started brutality on them with various weapons. The youngest of them which is only 19yrs was almost at the point of death and accepted to confess whatever they ask him to say. He started making false confession about my car, he agreed that my car was rubbed and that, the car belongs to a lady and that, they jumped into the ladies compound, broke the glass of the car, opened the door and used a master key to start the car. Broke the gate and drove off.

This was the information I got from Mr. Obinna. At least I know the reason why my car is there. So I made contact with the Nigerian Air force Base who sent 2 soldiers to accompany me in my next visit. The two soldiers arrived my residence and accompanied me.
On arrival at the Mile 1 E-Crack Division, the IPO in charge of the case was very rude to the air force soldiers, insulting them saying that this is purely a civilian case and a case of robbery. The soldiers got angry and asked me if they can start beating up the police officers, I calmly told them not to do so as it will make matters worse for the innocent boys in police custody. So I left with the officers. I then called the Air force Commander and updated him on current status, he asked me if I had copies of my car papers, I told him I would get them and revert him accordingly.

I searched in my house for the car papers and did not find. But I remembered that my Driver was the one who renewed the papers not up to 2months back. So I asked my driver for the papers and he informed me that he forgot the original and photocopies inside my car. I asked him to call the man at Inland Revenue to print copies. I got the copies and contacted the Air force Commander again to let him know that I have the papers.
The Commander joined me to the Police Station on 23rd of Dec 2019. We met the Commander of E-Crack, I noticed the name on his uniform as Benson. The Air force Commander introduced himself and introduced me as his brother. Mr. Benson called the IPO of the case to come and narrate the story. The IPO explained how the boys jumped into a ladies compound, broke the glass of the car, used master key to start the car, broke the gate and drove off. That they, the police officers apprehended the boys at the point of sale. That the boys were communicating with the buyer from Aba and that one of the boys have already confessed to the crime.

After hearing this, at first I was wondering if it was some Nigerian movie the man was narrating or was he talking about my car? The E-Crack Commander now asked the IPO to bring the boy who made the confession. The boy was brought in after 2mins limping seriously with smelling wounds. The E-Crack Commander now asked the boy to tell the truth that no one would torture him. The boy now started talking by saying that he is only an apprenticed under his Boss “Chima”, that the car belongs to Chima's customer, that he made the false confession because he was tortured almost to the point of death, at this point, he stretched his arms with handcuffs towards the commander showing him the smelling wounds.

The E-Crack Commander now asked the IPO to return the boy. I now told the E-Crack Commander that I have copies of my car papers here which I got from the Inland Revenue today as my driver forgot the original papers as well as the photocopies in my car, is it possible for the IPO to check my car, get all the papers in it and we compare with what is in my hands. The E-Crack commander agreed and sent the IPO to get the papers.
After 3mins, the IPO came back and said there were no papers in the car. Well, I have copies right in front of us, I asked the commander if the copies I am presenting can be verified, and he concurred. I left the station with the Air force Commander.

On the 30th of December 2019. I returned to the police station and met the commander to verify if my presented documents have been verified. He called the IPO and the IPO confirmed that the documents are authentic. The commander now asked me my full name and I told him. He says that the name on the papers bears the same surname but different first name, why is this so? I explained that, the first name and second name on the car papers belong to my younger sister. He insisted that I must bring her to the station. So I called my sister and picked her up at her office and brought her to the station. I presented her to the commander.

The commander asked how long she has been using the car and she confirmed that it is over 2yrs. He asked the IPO to release my car as well as the second car which was an old model camry. Before leaving his office, I asked about the boys because I still have an unfinished business with my mechanic. He asked me how long I have known the mechanic, I told him that I have known the mechanic for more than 4years and that the mechanic fixes all my cars. The Commander now told me that he is investigating a case of cultism against all the boys. I wondered in my mind how a case of charged “Robbery” could change to cultism. I had no choice other than to leave the station with my car. On the 2nd of January 2020, I got a call from a Barrister saying that he was engaged by the families of the boys in custody. That he has spoken with the Commander with regards to the case. That he was shocked to know that the commander was now working as a commander in that division as he has long known him. That in fact the man is his friend. He continued by saying that the commander told him that the case is a bad one, his boys have over worked. Speaking in pigeon saying "de case don spoil, my boys don over work" The Barrister did not understand. The Barrister kept on insisting until the man opened up to say that my mechanic "Chima" is dead. He was tortured to death.

The Barrister now asked him where the corpse is. The Commander says that he does not trust him enough to reveal that kind of classified information. That the best thing he can do for the remaining 4boys, is to look for a small charge to charge them, so that as soon as they get to the court, bail will be granted easily. He asked the Barrister to come the next day. According to the Barrister, as soon as he left the police station, the Commander immediately charged the boys to court that same day on the charge of my car robbery and cultism. After hearing this from the Barr., I again thought, the police has released my car to me after verifying that it is my car and I never told them that my car was ever robbed, why did they still charge the boys for my car robbery? I later found out the answer which I will say shortly after. As I write this story, the remaining 4boys are in prison custody with wounds getting rotten and smelling. Chima that the police killed is tagged as "At Large". The answer to my question came out when the families of the deceased visited the court to see a copy of the charge sheet confirming that the police wrote on it that the owner of the car, which is supposed to me, confirmed to them that his car was stolen as described. I have never made such a statement anywhere. My car was never robbed.

The families of the boys visited the prison in Port-Harcourt to see their loved ones and insisted to take photographs after seeing the wounds of some of them excreting water and decayed substances. The prison warders said each photograph will cost them N15,000.00 (Fifteen Thousand Naira) each. The families not being able to afford the money, left the prison sobering.

At this moment of my life, I and my family members are very scared of the police. I wanted to send my brother out with my car, immediately I realized that his drivers license is in process. I got scared and did not engage him anymore, because if police can take a life because of “one way driving”, then it means they can take a life for not having Drivers License and many more.

As I write this message, my wife is beside me shivering and saying that I should make the message anonymous, for fear that I could get killed by the police for making it public.

Please if I get any mosquito bite, you know who is responsible.

I came to know that the deceased mechanic got married just six months ago and that his wife is a few months pregnant.

Again, the families of the 5 boys are in abject poverty and could not even afford lawyer fees to follow up the case. What a shame.

BELOW NAMES OF PERSONS INVOLVED:

Victor Ogbonna
Osaze Friday
Ifeanyi Osuji
Ifeanyi Onyekwere
Chima Ikwunado (Killed By Police)

SP. Benson Adetuyi (Commander E-Crack)

Inspector Sam (IPO)
Chima Ikwunado (RIP)

See photos of the deceased,Chima Ikwunado, his boy and his wife.

Share this and tag the Nigerian police until we get justice for Chima.

https://m.facebook.com/comradephils/

Identify the SARS people in your area and let the body count start. By the time the tally gets to 10 per state, they will start listening.

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by PicLtd: 8:13pm On Jan 18, 2020
Every human right NGO and civil society should do everything to fight this matter till heads roll in the polic. The policemen involved must not go scot-free.

Amnesty International, SERAP, Behind Bars Initiatives, Mechanic association, Town union of the decease must drag this matter and continue to update us in the media about the media till justice is seen to be done.

Take this legal fight direct to the I.G's office, police council and police service commission. Breath down their necks till the justice is done and the family of the deceased handsomely compensated in dollars. If even if it means taking all the monies in the account of the policemen involved, including their pension and gratuity, so be it.

2 Likes

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 20, 2020
Xisnin:

You deserve a befitting reply but I don't want to complicate your life problems.
It will be evil of me to torment an emotionally unstable and depressed soul.
Get well soon!

Snipper is still #300 bro
Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by carnal: 8:32am On Jan 20, 2020
The fight and awareness on these subject is high now,a lot of human right organizations are taking up these already, from the outcry have heard on radio stations in the last 48hrs,am sure this won't be swept under the carpet

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by carnal: 10:43pm On Jan 20, 2020
?heard that was a protest for chima told in PH, anyone can verify these news?

1 Like

Re: #JusticeForChima: Chima Ikwunado, Mechanic Tortured To Death By Police In Rivers by dominique(f): 11:11pm On Jan 20, 2020
ebby9z:

Its basically saying
Stop blaming victims.
Sad.

Nothing will ever justify ever him getting killed and I hope every single officer involved in this gets penalized for this. However, as we're gunning for justice for the deceased and his friends, we need to admonish Nigerians to TRY as hard as possible not to get themselves entangled with police. This is a person driving someone else's car, most likely without a valid license and still went on to take a wrong lane not only endangering himself, other motorists and pedestrians, went ahead to catch the attention of the police. If he had not done this, would the police have had any reason to stop him? Most likely no. As much as I sympathize with the deceased and his loved ones, I still can't help but think how things would have been different if he didn't make that decision to consiously break
traffic rules.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Beats And Butchers His Baby Mama Over Food In Imo (Graphic Pics) / Girl Caught After Stealing Money From Woman's Account Through ATM. Photos / List Of 8 People Killed By SARS (Brief Biography And Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.