Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby (4961 Views)

My Baby Is Just 4 Months And My Wife Is Pregnant Again, I Want Abortion / My Baby's Transformation... / Suggest A Name For My Baby Girl: The Naming Ceremony Of My Baby Is Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 5:32pm On Jan 17, 2020
Baby Oyewusi was admitted at neonatal unit of Bowen Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso on 9th January 2020. We're spending close to 16k on oxygen per day and there is no end in sight

Do you know any baby who survived this problem?

Also, help us with medical bills.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 5:35pm On Jan 17, 2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 7:57pm On Jan 17, 2020
Has anyone here had same problem?
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by jesmond3945: 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2020
Jesus is the answer.

1 Like

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by dljbd1(m): 8:12pm On Jan 17, 2020
OMG... times like this I really wish I were a doctor.
Please can someone help with information.
I can't bear seeing babies in such conditions. cry

I just read online that the babies should pass the meconium out in stool usually within 24hrs to 48hrs.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/babies-and-meconium-stools-2634635

I can see from your receipts it's more than 2 days. Please what's the doctor saying?

1 Like

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by sweetlady4real(f): 8:20pm On Jan 17, 2020
What are the doctors saying ? It is well with Baby Oyewusi.

1 Like

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 8:43pm On Jan 17, 2020
dljbd1:
OMG... times like this I really wish I were a doctor.
Please can someone help with information.
I can't bear seeing babies in such conditions. cry

I just read online that the babies should pass the meconium out in stool usually within 24hrs to 48hrs.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/babies-and-meconium-stools-2634635

I can see from your receipts it's more than 2 days. Please what's the doctor saying?

They said oxygen will always be needed until her condition improves. Doctors said it may not improve overnight. That we should be patient.

1 Like

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 8:44pm On Jan 17, 2020
sweetlady4real:
What are the doctors saying ? It is well with Baby Oyewusi.

They want us to be patient and that oxygen is the immediate necessity.

1 Like

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Rejoice04(f): 8:45pm On Jan 17, 2020
Beosten:
Has anyone here had same problem?

God will heal baby and send necessary help your way.

2 Likes

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Rejoice04(f): 8:47pm On Jan 17, 2020
[quote author=Beosten post=85877454]Baby Oyewusi was admitted at neonatal unit of Bowen Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso on 9th January 2020. We're spending close to 16k on oxygen per day and there is no end in sight

Also, help us with medical bills. [/q iuote]

It's well with you baby.

Your parents will testify In Jesus Name
Amen

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Rejoice04(f): 8:50pm On Jan 17, 2020
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Lamanii22(f): 8:51pm On Jan 17, 2020
Beosten:
Baby Oyewusi was admitted at neonatal unit of Bowen Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso on 9th January 2020. We're spending close to 16k on oxygen per day and there is no end in sight

Awww cute baby... Jesus christ I've never heard of this kind of illness.... Doctors on NL can you help us... 16k isn't small money...

2 Likes

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by dljbd1(m): 9:38pm On Jan 17, 2020
Beosten:

They said oxygen will always be needed until her condition improves. Doctors said it may not improve overnight. That we should be patient.
Very true...I pray there is improvement real soon God.

I really wish people come drop advise.
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 9:45pm On Jan 17, 2020
Rejoice04:

God will heal baby and send necessary help your way.

Amen. Thanks
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by amaham(m): 9:53pm On Jan 17, 2020
You can ask for a transfer to a government teaching hospital, it may be cheaper
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Rejoice04(f): 10:07pm On Jan 17, 2020
Beosten:

Lalasticala please help move this to the front page so she can get necessary help.
Thanks.
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by crackkhaus: 11:26pm On Jan 17, 2020
Beosten:

Hello sir, this is not encouraging. sad
Why not try purchasing an oxygen concentrator (less than 5Litres capacity for a baby), that should reduce or even take away this daily bill of 16k.

My sis is recovering from lung cancer and is on chemotherapy now, but for a long time before now, she had being relying on artificial oxygen using her concentrator (it is moveable) because her lungs were unable to take in enough air.
Talk to your doctor to know if he recommends it, or if your baby's need is restricted to the one being provided at the hospital.

You can get the equipment from PEKAMOL in Lagos. Although we didn't get hers from them due to urgency, but they are closer to you and their customer service is good.

4 Likes

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by crackkhaus: 11:30pm On Jan 17, 2020
Beosten:

Hmmmm,what's the time frame for recovery?
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 3:32am On Jan 18, 2020
crackkhaus:

Hello sir, this is not encouraging. sad
Why not try purchasing an oxygen concentrator (less than 5Litres capacity for a baby), that should reduce or even take away this daily bill of 16k.

My sis is recovering from lung cancer and is on chemotherapy now, but for a long time before now, she had being relying on artificial oxygen using her concentrator (it is moveable) because her lungs were unable to take in enough air.
Talk to your doctor to know if he recommends it, or if your baby's need is restricted to the one being provided at the hospital.

You can get the equipment from PEKAMOL in Lagos. Although we didn't get hers from them due to urgency, but they are closer to you and their customer service is good.

The size of movable cylinder they are using for the oxygen is about 10kg and costs 8k if filled to capacity. About two cylinders used daily. If not filled to capacity, it costs 6k. They said that big cylinder of oxygen (the kind of cylinder those street gas reseller use) cost 20k but not movable in the ward.
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 3:34am On Jan 18, 2020
crackkhaus:

Hmmmm,what's the time frame for recovery?

No time frame given. She recovers and get worse at intervals
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by crackkhaus: 8:19am On Jan 18, 2020
Beosten:

The size of movable cylinder they are using for the oxygen is about 10kg and costs 8k if filled to capacity. About two cylinders used daily. If not filled to capacity, it costs 6k. They said that big cylinder of oxygen (the kind of cylinder those street gas reseller use) cost 20k but not movable in the ward.
Okay, what I am suggesting is an Oxygen concentrator, it's not a cylinder. It is a machine that is connected to electricity when in one position, or for some models, can be charged and moved around...its like a suitcase, some look like a backpack.

All you have to do is continue topping up the water in the tank which filters the oxygen from the compressor - no extra costs after you buy it.
Bro, I can assure you that it is much more economical to use concentrators than allowing the hospital continue to milk you.
My sis was charged 80k every day just for the oxygen and a life support monitor, this was minus other bills like medications & injections, so I understand what you're going through.

The first picture is exactly the type we ended up buying at about 300k, she needed something big enough as only one of her lungs was functional.
The second picture is what you could get, much smaller and definitely a lot cheaper...also good enough for a baby.

5 Likes

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by crackkhaus: 8:36am On Jan 18, 2020
Beosten:

No time frame given. She recovers and get worse at intervals
It seems quite serious then.

I hope she gets better as soon as possible.
You should talk to the doctor about the suggestion I made. There are also oxygen saturator devices that cost as little as 30k but they work with a medication that dissolves mucus in the respiratory tract.

This is still better than paying what you're paying at the moment.

You need alternative options.

1 Like

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 8:53am On Jan 18, 2020
crackkhaus:

Okay, what I am suggesting is an Oxygen concentrator, it's not a cylinder. It is a machine that is connected to electricity when in one position, or for some models, can be charged and moved around...its like a suitcase, some look like a backpack.

All you have to do is continue topping up the water in the tank which filters the oxygen from the compressor - no extra costs after you buy it.
Bro, I can assure you that it is much more economical to use concentrators than allowing the hospital continue to milk you.
My sis was charged 80k every day just for the oxygen and a life support monitor, this was minus other bills like medications & injections, so I understand what you're going through.

The first picture is exactly the type we ended up buying at about 300k, she needed something big enough as only one of her lungs was functional.
The second picture is what you could get, much smaller and definitely a lot cheaper...also good enough for a baby.

How much is the 2nd one in the pictures?
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by crackkhaus: 8:59am On Jan 18, 2020
Beosten:

How much is the 2nd one in the pictures?
I don't expect it to be more than 100k at most. You may have to contact a company selling it.

To be on a safer side and be sure you're getting a good deal, ask your doctor to suggest a place you can get it. He/she can even contact them on your behalf. They have knowledge of these things and who to talk to.

3 Likes

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by sweetlady4real(f): 11:43am On Jan 18, 2020
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by sweetlady4real(f): 11:50am On Jan 18, 2020

Good morning, how is she doing ? Is she responding to her environment, light, touch etc.

Patience ? It is well.

Immediate necessity ? What happens on the long run ?

Did she cry at birth ?

May the great physician do what no man can do in her life, heal her completely in Jesus Mighty Name, Amen. She is in my prayers.

2 Likes

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 3:32pm On Jan 18, 2020
sweetlady4real:

Good morning, how is she doing ? Is she responding to her environment, light, touch etc.

Patience ? It is well.

Immediate necessity ? What happens on the long run ?

Did she cry at birth ?

May the great physician do what no man can do in her life, heal her completely in Jesus Mighty Name, Amen. She is in my prayers.

Doctor also asked if she cried at birth. I can't answer this question because she was delivered through ceacerean section. She responds to touch, light. Thanks for the prayers ma.

2 Likes

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by cococandy(f): 6:12pm On Jan 18, 2020
Wish your baby quick recovery.

Basically what she has is pneumonia caused by inhaling amniotic fluid and that first stool babies usually have in their first few days of life.

It is serious but not often fatal.
Fingers crossed that she gets better very very soon.

4 Likes

Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 6:29pm On Jan 18, 2020
cococandy:
Wish your baby quick recovery.

Basically what she has is pneumonia caused by inhaling amniotic fluid and that first stool babies usually have in their first few days of life.

It is serious but not often fatal.
Fingers crossed that she gets better very very soon.

Thank you, ma. They have been administering antibiotics since 9th January. They used Fortum injection and one other antibiotic I can't remember. Her improvement has been intermittent. So they switched to ciprofloxaxin yesterday.
Re: Meconium Aspiration Syndrome: Help My Baby by Beosten(m): 10:03pm On Jan 19, 2020
Please, help us with funds.

(1) (Reply)

/ Worth Reading: A White Woman's Opinion Of A Black Woman!!!!! / Nigeria Records 11,600 Maternal Deaths In 3 Months.......( WOW )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.