Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) (39688 Views)

My Church Bazaar Is Mega Wealth, Stay Away If You Won’t Donate – Father Mbaka / Father Mbaka Attacks Buhari: 'Disaster Is Coming, Angels Warming Up For You' / Father Mbaka: "Why Atiku Should Be President Of Nigeria In 2019" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by geosuzzy(f): 12:39pm On Jan 19, 2020
Perhaps his calling includes prediction of 5odds grin....the gifts and calling of God are without repentance...mbaka has the gift, the way he is now using and abusing it is the problem.....he saw buhari winning doesn't translate to the fact that he is the country's Messiah but mbaka said so .. hope uzodinma is a corrupt and a greedy politician ....mbaka saw the vision doesn't mean he is imo's messiah...buh he is making it sound so as if he is God's plan for imo

2 Likes

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by chrisxxx(m): 12:40pm On Jan 19, 2020
Mbaka why?
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by chidexleo: 12:40pm On Jan 19, 2020
But let me ask, did the prophecy come to pass? He who send him will not abandon him
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by chelsea1116(m): 12:41pm On Jan 19, 2020
NA ONLY GOD KNOWS WHO GO MAKE THIS HEAVEN.
Any true Christian who is not blinded by religious master planners would simply know Mbaka dey Bleep up big time.
So much pride,arrogance, stubbornness and disrepect coming from a Priest.
Attributes our failed president has.

2 Likes

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Originalsly: 12:44pm On Jan 19, 2020
Since he is violating Canon Law.... what are the consequences?....to keep warning him? The one that ran for governor was ehmmm.... kicked out of the church for violating Canon Law... so why not Mbaka?... is he above Canon Law? Hmmm.... untouchables in the church?

1 Like

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by zoedew: 12:44pm On Jan 19, 2020
Necessary
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by shugar25: 12:45pm On Jan 19, 2020
I expect the op to support his claim with a post where father mbaka told his congregation who to vote for and who not to vote for as against the Canon law and if there is non, but only said what God told or show him then he has breach any law.

7 Likes

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Godisgreatest1: 12:48pm On Jan 19, 2020
This is the worst piece I have come across in this forum, it doesn't relate in any way, just another party supporter crying quietly, deeply hurt obviously. Now, because the reverend father revealed a prophesy, that translates to him asking people to vote for a party!! This is a total waste of time and effort to read. Look, if you don't like a party just say so!..if the prophesy was the other way round your write up would have been 'Fr. Mbaka, the last voice of the common man!'. If tomorrow this same priests says 'APC will not win any election again and PMB will go to his village', all of you crying now like breastfeeding children will start dancing and laughing like hyenas..Imo state has a new governor, and Fr. Mbaka prophesied it! If you don't like it wait till the next election.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Austineva(m): 12:48pm On Jan 19, 2020
Patrioticman007:
Envy is the root of all evils, Cain & Abel, first murder saga,all happened because of Envy.
Father Mbaka as a man of god has been receiving backlash and threats from evil men.
Just because he is against the evil party called PDP, had all his prophecies, been against Apc, there wouldn't have been these noise.

Mbaka for minister of religious affairs,by God grace.
God bless u, man. Truly, u will make heaven

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by VirginSearcher(m): 12:49pm On Jan 19, 2020
He should be ex-communicated from the Catholic church, let him go and start his own yeye church were he would be saying nonsense.. political priest!
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by naptu2: 12:50pm On Jan 19, 2020
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by nijabazaar: 12:52pm On Jan 19, 2020
Mbaka is simply a hustler
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by SaintLucia: 12:53pm On Jan 19, 2020
ZombieTERROR:
Mbaka is an APc mole.....
He's a politician
And these losers are what?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Austineva(m): 12:53pm On Jan 19, 2020
Authoreety:
The guy seriously need to be cautioned
then, go and caution him. Rubbish!

2 Likes

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by michoim(m): 12:54pm On Jan 19, 2020
Trash...they are criticising him because the man does not support corruption like them...and his prophecies does not favour PDP that is the reason behind all these noise against Father Mbaka, PERIOD!!!
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Illusioneffect(m): 12:55pm On Jan 19, 2020
Na wen im prophecy go fail, in nyash go open..
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by guidelight: 12:57pm On Jan 19, 2020
A priest , Pastor or Imam should only serve as the watchdog of the Society , the mouthpiece of the downtrodden, advocate of the masses and a strong voice against corruption, oppression and official recklessness.
Any Priest , Pastor or Imam who cannot adhere to the above dictates should check himself or herself because the most high God abhors oppression and corruption.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by naptu2: 12:57pm On Jan 19, 2020
ucheeee:

•’Mixing religion with politics is dangerous’

By Sam Eyoboka & Olayinka Latona

Retired Catholic Archbishop of Lagos, Cardinal Olubunmi Okogie, explains why the clergy should not mix religion with politics. He speaks against the backdrop of the statement by the Enugu-based Catholic priest and founder of Adoration Ground, Father Ejike Mbaka, that members of his congregation should reject President Goodluck Jonathan in the general elections.

How do you see the statement credited to Rev. Father Ejike Mbaka?
Any serious priest will not speak the way he spoke. I am not saying that he is not serious. I will not agree with the things he said. According to what I read in the newspapers, a few weeks earlier, the First Lady, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, visited his Adoration Ground in Enugu and he prayed for her. At that occasion, he was said to have lambasted the opposition party, APC, and now to turn around overnight and start lambasting President Goodluck Jonathan shows that there is something wrong somewhere.

Personally, I felt bad because it is not the place of a priest to go to that extent. He can have his personal opinion, but to go to the extent that he went is abnormal. I want you to know that he wasn’t speaking for the church. He said he was moved by the spirit, and I wonder what kind of spirit was that.

He said he was under the inspiration of the spirit. If he was under the inspiration of the spirit, I wonder if the spirit is that of God. I don’t think the spirit he’s referring to is the spirit of God. He must have been under the influence of another spirit. He must have been listening to a wrong spirit.

Is the statement not embarrassing to the Catholic Church as a whole?
Indeed, it is. But I must say to you that he was not speaking on behalf of the church. No! No!! No!!! Anybody with such opinion is in error. The man cannot hold brief for the church. Pardon me, but how can I say you are bloody fool and anybody takes that to mean that all journalists are bloody fools. It’s very funny.

In a situation such as this, what does the Catholic Church do?
Well, the Catholic Church is structured in such a way that there are dioceses where each priest belongs. This particular priest happens to come from Enugu Diocese, so it is left for the bishop in charge of that diocese to discipline him. If the priest fails to obey the discipline, then the bishop is obligated to report the mother to the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria, CBCN.

You may have heard the Bishop of Abuja Diocese, John Cardinal Onaiyekan, who said that if the priest were to be in his diocese, he would discipline him straight. But he is not in his diocese. The best anyone of us can do is just to advise him that he had gone too far and he is free to take our advice and he may not. God gave every one of us a free will and we are at liberty to use the freewill as we choose.

What kind of sanction can be given to such a priest?
It depends on his bishop. You cannot dictate for his bishop. Don’t forget that this same man was at loggerheads with a former governor of Enugu State, Chimaroke Nnamanni, and it was the same Adoration Ground in Enugu. If I have my way, we should close that place because a lot of things have been happening there that are out of tune. I think Gov. Peter Obi also went there for prayers at one point. If I have my way, I won’t go there for anything….

Your advice for politicians who are currently jostling for votes….
One of them came out publicly recently to say that if you are a politician and you cannot tell a lie…how then that anyone wants to go into politics? If they can openly say such a thing, it means they have been deceiving the people all this while. So, I don’t really know. Any good politician must, first and foremost, must have the fear of God in him. A responsible politician, irrespective of the office you are vying for—because they say whatever has a beginning must have an end—must begin by developing the fear of God in him because by and by your tenure will eventually come to an end.

It’s because of greed that most of them are clamouring for second or more terms. Any politician that has finished his first term and is asking for a second term, there is something wrong with him. If we look at it critically, after four years what is he clamouring for a second term for? I cannot understand Nigerians. Some of us are damn greedy. They don’t have the fear and respect for the down trodden.

Now they are up and about the whole place…they can even lick your boot now because they are canvassing for votes, but as soon as they get the votes they begin to show you pepper. They don’t regard the poor citizens that are out there; forgetting that someday and one day they may return to the status quo.

Whatever has a beginning must have an end. This is the time you get them talking but they won’t look at their manifestoes, but because they want to get to power they are going to everybody. Some of them have come to me here and I told them off: one of the first thing you’ve got to do is get religion off your mind because it is like putting petrol in a fire. You don’t mix politics with religion and some people came to me, saying, ‘Look at the situation in Lagos, what are we going to do?’ What are you going to do? Are they your God? Do they own the nation? The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Any clergyman that mixes religion with politics is finished including their church because they will not be spared.

Politicians are taking their campaigns to churches. Is it a healthy development?
It is not! They should keep religion out of politics. Don’t forget each person has his or her own mind. During harvest, you have the priest and the assistant priest and you go out to invite another priest to preach, that will affect what I am going give, because I have already made up my mind on what I am going to give. They come to church to canvas for votes.

It should not be allowed by anybody. I don’t really know what to do because this election, hmm hmm hmm, I am afraid. Imagine their utterances! Look at what Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd) said about Shariah in 2011, that is what they are harping on now in 2015. Why? When did you hear about Shariah last? This kind of thing is annoying. Look at the recent campaign launch that produced over N21 billion. Where did they get the money from when people are hungry? No water. No electricity. No roads. I just wonder what kind of government we have in this country. These are all corrupt persons and they will want me to cast their vote for them.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/father-mbaka-saga-ill-close-adoration-ground-if-cardinal-olubunmi-okogie/

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by realstars: 12:58pm On Jan 19, 2020
A prophet of God should not be a politician, and politics is all about game of desire to desist from the truth.
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by CaptainMeks: 1:01pm On Jan 19, 2020
Make una leave my Mbaka for me o.

When God gives you a word and commands you to speak no Canon law from hell can stand in the way of that.

Catholic Church cannot put God in a bottle and try to dictate how or what God says. God speaks whenever he pleases and through whosoever he wills including Mbaka.

If the other Priests are content with only officiating mass then that is their cup of communion wine but the Church first and foremost is called to lead in all spheres including politics.

The Bible says, "He that knows what is right but does not do it, to him it is a sin" (James 4:17).

So if Mbaka knows that the right thing to do is speak and he refuses to do it, it becomes a sin to him and who wants to let sin drag him or her to hell.

Naptu2 your Thread and the Canon laws are nonsense where the word and light of God are concerned

Tell the Pope I said so

1 Like

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by naptu2: 1:04pm On Jan 19, 2020
TeaParty:
I’ll Sanction Mbaka If He’s Under My Diocese, Says Onaiyekan

More troubles appear to be staring the controversial Catholic Priest and Founder of Adoration Ministry, Enugu Catholic Archdiocese, Rev. Fr Ejike Mbaka, in the face following his statement urging Nigerians to reject President Goodluck Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and vote for Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (rtd ) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the February 14 presidential election.

Speaking to THISDAY in an exclusive interview, the Catholic Bishop of Abuja Metropolitan See, Cardinal John Onaiyekan, said given the rules of the church, Fr. Mbaka ought to be sanctioned.

This came as Onaiyekan cautioned the PDP and opposition, All Progressives Congress (APC) to desist from campaigns of calumny.

He  stated that prophecies of doom  ahead of 2015 elections notwithstanding, “PDP and APC have no right to disorganise Nigeria.”

Onaiyekan,  commenting on Fr  Mbaka, said the priest went overboard in his statement insinuating that President Jonathan’s administration has been plagued with ‘bad luck’ and poor performance.

Onaiyekan distanced the Catholic Church from Mbaka’s statement,  stating that, “Mbaka will take responsibilities for his own actions. I do not believe in my mind that the way things are in Nigeria, any Catholic priest has the mandate to decide which of the political contestants should be voted for. What most of us will do is to tell people to vote according to their conscience and then, we tell the authorities to allow people to vote freely and fairly.

“I wouldn’t be surprised if most people are not happy with the statement he made. From my reactions, you should see that I do not agree with him. I don’t believe a priest should be doing that.

“But, like I said, Mbaka is a priest of his own type. If he was in my archdioceses, I will have sanctioned him long ago for the kind of things and utterances that he makes. But, he is not under my diocese; he has a Bishop to handle that if there is any need,” the Cardinal observed.

Onaiyekan, rather maintained that Mbaka had earlier made insinuations  that President Jonathan’s wife, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, will continue in office.
“I hope that people are not thinking that we are sending Mbaka to talk rubbish, how can they think that? If you want to hear anything even not official but at least, authoritative, then, you listen to the bishops. Rather than him and I don’t see any bishop talking that way.”

Meanwhile, President of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Nigeria (CBCN), Archbishop Ignatius Kaigama, said Nigerians should avoid hasty generalisation, as the statement of one Catholic priest cannot be taken to represent the voices of more than 30 million Catholics in Nigeria.

Kaigama told THISDAY that though Mbaka could not have been speaking for the Nigerian Catholic Church, Nigerians should avoid making unguided statements and hasty generalisation on national issues like the 2015 general election.

“There are more than 30 million Catholics in Nigeria, Fr Mbaka is just one Catholic, if he makes a statement, it cannot be the voices of more than 30 million Nigerian Catholics speaking.

“So Nigerians should avoid hasty generalisation. Mbaka cannot speak for the church, only the CBCN can speak for the church. Those who are complaining, should go to Fr Mbaka and find out why he is saying what he is saying,” Kaigama said.

The CBCN President informed THISDAY that it is completely out of place for a Catholic priest to be partisan.

“I tell you,  even the Canon Law forbid a priest  to engage in partisan politics,” Kaigama told THISDAY.

Asked if there would be punitive measures meted out to Mbaka, Kaigama said:  “If the law has  been abused, we will ensure that we enforce the law. In this case, it is not the Catholic church; the church did not send him to say those things.

“Mbaka belongs to a diocese, so if the Bishop finds out that he has fallen out of line, the  Bishop can call him to order,” he said.

“Mbaka is just expressing his opinion, if we want to make a political statement, we know how to do it. That we keep quiet and  we are  marginalised, does not mean we don’t have strength. With more than 30 million Catholics,  we  have the  strength,” Kaigama submitted.

The Archbishop of Jos argued that there was no public uproar when the same Mbaka assured the first lady of continuity.

Fr. Mbaka has come under intense condemnation following his sermon last week, lampooning Jonathan’s administration for poor performance.

His  comment had elicited public outcry, especially, among the teeming Catholic population in South-east and South-south parts of the country where President Jonathan has a strong support base. http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/i-ll-sanction-mbaka-if-he-s-under-my-diocese-says-onaiyekan/198424/
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by TOPCRUISE(m): 1:06pm On Jan 19, 2020
He won't listen. You know how much mbaka is benefitting from prophecy
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by mu2sa2: 1:06pm On Jan 19, 2020
Are catholics christians? I asked because just recently l saw a pastor on a satellite tv channel saying the catholic church is the anti- christ mentioned in the bible. Even here in nigeria a leading pastor once stirred controversy when he said catholics are hell bound.
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Austineva(m): 1:07pm On Jan 19, 2020
Haters everywhere, even d in house of God. Rubbish! Rev. Fr. Mbaka has not gone against any of the stated canon law above. Why should he be banned? Smh. Humans and crazy. God will definitely judge all of them one by one. God bless d true prophet of our time, Rev. Fr. Mbaka. D haters will continue to perish on top ur matter

4 Likes

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Aiyk2333: 1:08pm On Jan 19, 2020
Patrioticman007:
Envy is the root of all evils, Cain & Abel, first murder saga,all happened because of Envy.
Father Mbaka as a man of god has been receiving backlash and threats from evil men.
Just because he is against the evil party called PDP, had all his prophecies, been against Apc, there wouldn't have been these noise.
Its on record that the leadership of Christian Association of Nigeria, was so much in dirty politics, that they turned to Arms dealers. Yet no body sanctioned them, like they are pestering Father Mbaka, the only true man of God from the South East, Side.

Mbaka for minister of religious affairs,by God grace.

but in 2015 everybody supported him and his prophecy because people thought truly there will be change. you're part of the idiots this politicians confuse, u politicize everything.. three top bishops one almost became a pope are envious of mbaka!?!!!??! get well soon
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by naptu2: 1:09pm On Jan 19, 2020
shugar25:
I expect the op to support his claim with a post where father mbaka told his congregation who to vote for and who not to vote for as against the Canon law and if there is non, but only said what God told or show him then he has breach any law.

Godisgreatest1:
This is the worst piece I have come across in this forum, it doesn't relate in any way, just another party supporter crying quietly, deeply hurt obviously. Now, because the reverend father revealed a prophesy, that translates to him asking people to vote for a party!! This is a total waste of time and effort to read. Look, if you don't like a party just say so!..if the prophesy was the other way round your write up would have been 'Fr. Mbaka, the last voice of the common man!'. If tomorrow this same priests says 'APC will not win any election again and PMB will go to his village', all of you crying now like breastfeeding children will start dancing and laughing like hyenas..Imo state has a new governor, and Fr. Mbaka prophesied it! If you don't like it wait till the next election.

eDeity:

U dey mind them
It that same incoherent and gibberish lines everyday without pinpointing where and how he violated catholic rules. Mbaka have

There are many, but here's one.

(Godisgreatest1 thanks for making me laugh by claiming that I support PDP or whoever. That's the funniest joke that I've heard in a long time.)

Mbaka ‘endorses’ Buhari, Ugwuanyi for 2019 general election

Uncategorized
By Kingsley OBIEJESI On Jan 2, 2019

EJIKE Mbaka, a controversial Catholic Priest from the Diocese of Enugu, has endorsed President Muhammadu Buhari and the incumbent Governor of Enugu State, Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, for a second term in their respective offices.

Mbaka gave the endorsement during his new year sermon at his ‘Adoration Ministry’ in Enugu.

He described Buhari as “a man who understands the situation”, adding that “a President that is fighting corruption should be supported”.

“We pray for President Muhammadu Buhari; he is a man who understands the situation. Since Nigeria started, we have never experienced a President that has agricultural programmes like him. It’s like calling somebody thief in the media but you are not a thief,” Sahara Reporters quoted Mbaka as saying.

“For 16 years, the road from Anambra to Enugu was overgrown with weeds but within four years, the road is being rebuilt.

“For remembering us, God will bless him. It shall be well with him. Four years doesn’t mean eight years; he has finished his four years and I pray for a peaceful transition that he may complete his remaining four years.”

Mbaka’s endorsement of Buhari is coming just weeks after he accused the President of not doing anything for his Adoration Ministry in spite of all the ordeals he (Mbaka) and his congregation suffered for supporting him in 2019.

Speaking to Governor Umar Ganduje of Kano State who attended his church’s harvest and bazzar ceremony, Mbaka said it was only Buhari’s wife Aisha who occasionally donates items to be distributed to the poor, but the President, for whom the congregation prays and fasts unceasingly, had abandoned them.

Also in his January 1 sermon, Mbaka poured eulogies on Ugwuanyi, the Enugu State governor, for bringing peace and development to the state.

“Enugu has never seen it like this,” Mbaka was quoted as saying. “For the first time in the history of Enugu, the and Vikings cult groups are not fighting, only a man like him can do it.

“Enugu is in God’s hands and we have to hand the governor over to God because Enugu is in peace. There is no other state in this country that has this kind of peace. Generations will not forget you. Adoration Ministry will not forget you.

“For such person who is doing well, we will tell him to continue. I pray for God’s protection in his life. If it is endorsement you call it, it is your word.”

Recall that in the run-up to the 2015 general election, Mbaka caused an uproar when he made a u-turn to endorse Buhari after having initially spoken in favour of Goodluck Jonathan.

His prediction eventually came to pass as Buhari won the election. But the Catholic priest has also criticised the President for condoning corrupt individuals in his government, saying that if Buhari cannot sack the corrupt officials in his inner circle, “then all of them should go“.

https://www.icirnigeria.org/mbaka-endorses-buhari-ugwuanyi-for-2019-general-election/
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Aiyk2333: 1:10pm On Jan 19, 2020
Austineva:
Haters everywhere, even d in house of God. Rubbish! Rev. Fr. Mbaka has not gone against any of the stated canon law above. Why should he be barn? Smh. Humans and crazy. God will definitely judge all of them one by one. God bless d true prophet of our time, Rev. Fr. Mbaka. D haters will continue to perish on top ur matter
they just gave u excerpts from the canon of the Catholic Church and priesthood yet u say he hasn't broken any law!!!! are you that daft and lame!!!!!!!?
I'm beginning to think some persons here comment before they actually read the post

2 Likes

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 19, 2020
Hmmn
Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by naptu2: 1:15pm On Jan 19, 2020
CaptainMeks:
Make una leave my Mbaka for me o.

When God gives you a word and commands you to speak no Canon law from hell can stand in the way of that.

Catholic Church cannot put God in a bottle and try to dictate how or what God says. God speaks whenever he pleases and through whosoever he wills including Mbaka.

If the other Priests are content with only officiating mass then that is their cup of communion wine but the Church first and foremost is called to lead in all spheres including politics.

The Bible says, "He that knows what is right but does not do it, to him it is a sin" (James 4:17).

So if Mbaka knows that the right thing to do is speak and he refuses to do it, it becomes a sin to him and who wants to let sin drag him or her to hell.

Naptu2 your Thread and the Canon laws are nonsense where the word and light of God are concerned

Tell the Pope I said so

Every group and organisation has its rules and if you don't like the rules you simply leave. grin (Isn't that what you guys usually tell Muslims that want to wear hijab to school?)

1 Like

Re: Here’s Why Senior Catholic Figures Are Cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2) by Mopolchi: 1:15pm On Jan 19, 2020
What a write up! Very enriching!
naptu2:
Here’s why senior catholic figures are cautioning Father Mbaka (By Naptu2)

(Please, don’t just react to the title of the thread or to what you think the thread is about or to what you’ve heard before. Try and take some time to actually read the posts and understand what’s written in them. Thank you).

Father Camillus Ejike Mbaka has caused controversy in the past 20 years by hobnobbing with politicians and predicting the winners of governorship and presidential elections. This led to serious controversy in 2018 when he had a verbal altercation with Mr Peter Obi, the vice presidential candidate of the PDP.

Many senior figures in the Catholic Church have often cautioned and criticised Father Mbaka because of his political activities. Here are some examples:

Father Mbaka Saga: ’Mixing Religion With Politics Is Dangerous' -Cardinal Okogie
https://www.nairaland.com/2087175/father-mbaka-saga-mixing-religion

I’ll Sanction Mbaka If He’s Under My Diocese, Says Onaiyekan
https://www.nairaland.com/2076678/ill-sanction-mbaka-hes-under

Adewale Martins: Mbaka May Be Barred From Preaching By Catholic
https://www.nairaland.com/5636777/adewale-martins-mbaka-may-barred

Some people have claimed that these bishops only criticised Father Mbaka because they support a different candidate from the candidate that Father Mbaka endorsed. Is this really the reason? Of course it’s not. So what’s the reason for their criticisms?

Basically, their criticisms are based on Canon Law. Canon Law is the code that guides the behaviour of priests and other ministers in the Catholic Church all over the world. Canon Law states that:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_PY.HTM

These sections have always been interpreted to mean that priests must not tell voters who to vote for. They must not get involved in partisan politics that supports one candidate against another, except with the permission of their bishop.

This does not mean that priests cannot be involved in politics at all. Priests can criticise governments, condemn corruption, advocate that government should help the poor, etc. They can also vote in elections, but they must not tell their congregation to vote for politician Y or to vote against politician X. This is because it is believed that the Catholic Church exists to serve all people, no matter the party you belong to or what race you are and so the church must not be seen to be promoting one group over the other or dividing the congregation. Basically, the Catholic Church is politically neutral.

This is the reason for the criticism of Father Mbaka, because he seems to be supporting one candidate over another and this is against Canon Law.

Due to this, the Catholic Bishops Conference barred all priests from supporting politicians ahead of the 2019 elections (see second post below).

After the altercation between Father Mbaka and Peter Obi, the Church issued another warning to priests and banned them from allowing any politician to use any pulpit, altar or church property to make political statements. (see third post below).

This is a very serious issue around the world. The Catholic Church in America also issued directives to priests ahead of the 2016 election over there (so other posts below) and some Catholics in the US also complained (ahead of the 2012 election) that some priests and bishops were using their pulpits to campaign against Barrack Obama.

This is not the first time that the Catholic Church in Nigeria is facing this kind of challenge, neither is it the most serious case.

President Ibrahim Babangida appointed two Catholic priests to the Constituent Assembly in 1989 (this is not against church law). However, one of those priests, Reverend Father Moses Adasu, decided to get involved in partisan politics. He asked his bishop for permission to contest the Benue State governorship election on the platform of the SDP. The bishop (in obedience to Canon Law) refused to grant permission to Adasu. Father Adasu contested anyway and he was excommunicated by the church.

Father Adasu went on to become the civilian governor of Benue State from January 1992-November 1993, when General Sani Abacha removed all civilian governors from office.

Years later, Father Adasu was reinstated as a Catholic priest (the Church is meant to be a forgiving church).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

AZONTO Is A Dancing Style From HELL / Dunamis Church 'Fake Testimony': Anyim Vera Deserves An Apology / Dead Marriage By Anita Schafer (Oyakhilome)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.