Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. (2653 Views)

A Sample Of Bride Price In UGEP, Yakurr LGA Of Cross River State (Pictures) / Nigerian Man Mourns His Fiancée, Who Died One Month To Their Wedding (pictures) / Father Of Bride Refuses To Let His Daughter Live With Her Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by bukatyne(f): 9:25pm On Jan 28, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

Actually, I think you're right. He does seem to have already decided to abandon women and face his life for now. An mgtow in the making .

I laugh in Spanish!

grin
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by bukatyne(f): 9:35pm On Jan 28, 2020
izzou:

I just wanted to know, so i don't argue with someone who has an experience.

I usually perceived you as someone who's married. I apologize for asking

Funny @ arguing with someone who has an experience.

I am married.
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by izzou(m): 9:37pm On Jan 28, 2020
bukatyne:

Funny @ arguing with someone who has an experience.

I am married.

smiley
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by Uyi168: 9:44pm On Jan 28, 2020
Money wey go reach person take japa go Canada naim this one be wan troway so..
Silly tradition..
The man did well..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by hammerU: 10:29pm On Jan 28, 2020
cococandy:
The chat does seem fake but if it’s real, they could still get married if they wanted to. If he wanted he could have asked her how she can supplement what is being asked for.

Many women do it and keep it a secret so that people won’t mock them for paying their own bride price. But often husband and wife can put resources together to settle the demands of the father and his kinsmen and go live their lives happily together.

Everyone who is honest knows that bride price is trash and needs to go. It won’t remove anything from a fun and fulfilling traditional marriage ceremony if that’s what they are afraid of.

Bride price is culture of all the tribes in Nigeria except Yoruba.

Y cant dey marry their free women?
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by cooooooks(m): 1:31am On Aug 11, 2020
The people who seem to advocate doing away with it are older women.

Younger women are usually brainwashed to see the price as a measure of their worth:

"Get a master's so your bride price will go up"

"Learn how to cook so your bride price will go high"

"Go abroad so your bride price will increase"

These "jokes" are conditioning.

bukatyne:

Bride price is a male tradition:

Most women are for the abolishing of BP because of its connotation and the fact that husbands have used it for ages to bully their wives.

This is not about what I prefer, it is about the reality on ground.
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by cooooooks(m): 1:34am On Aug 11, 2020
OP, me, did not make a commentary on the post.

Also, OP is from Opobo with an Igbo grandma and both parents born in Igbo land.

donstan18:
Tell me that an e-diotic non-Igbo isn't the one trying to troll the Igbo tradition with those screenshots and I'll tell you that you're the most stupid person to ever grace this earth.

We, the Igbos don't give a flying or crawling fvck about what you lots think about our tribe when it comes to marriage and the tradition surrounding it.

If you fvcking think our women ain't worth it, kindly switch to a particular tribe where you can marry their women with just red oil of N100 and Ghana pepper of N70.

We don't care! Las las after ranting, you'll logout, sell your lands, leave your women and come down to Igbo land to marry with the money.

IgboBabesAmakaFc
AchalugoFc
UgoezeFc
ElewaUkwuEgbuoEwuFc
AsampeteNwanyiOmaFc
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by culf: 12:42pm On Aug 11, 2020
the guy is not serious, he didn't want to marry the girl, he is using it as an excuse
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by bukatyne(f): 3:38pm On Aug 11, 2020
cooooooks:
The people who seem to advocate doing away with it are older women.

Younger women are usually brainwashed to see the price as a measure of their worth:

"Get a master's so your bride price will go up"

"Learn how to cook so your bride price will go high"

"Go abroad so your bride price will increase"

These "jokes" are conditioning.

I don't think women really see brideprice as a measure of their worth.

If there was no bride price, they would measure their worth on something else.
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by cooooooks(m): 9:33pm On Aug 11, 2020
Those 2 statements seem contradictory.

Bride price is used to measure self worth and worth of husband (which is also sometimes an extension of self worth: "I'm so awesome that I could attract a person of this 'calibre' and get them to commit, that's for sure.

Should it? No.

Bride price is not the only thing used to measure, size/style of wedding is also used by some.

This is not a woman problem, it is a societal problem.
bukatyne:

I don't think women really see brideprice as a measure of their worth.

If there was no bride price, they would measure their worth on something else.

Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by Prof0fficial: 10:57pm On Aug 11, 2020
...this is not much nah...I have a 3in one list much heavier with bride price on the high side too.

mine is more than 600k
excluding ceremony foods, dj, drinks for d D-Day
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by GboyegaD(m): 11:20pm On Aug 11, 2020
Did she not see the list before it was offered the guy? Did they not sit down to discuss what they were comfortable with on the list?
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by cooooooks(m): 9:52am On Nov 08, 2020
I asked around and it seems the bride is generally not shown the list beforehand.

GboyegaD:
Did she not see the list before it was offered the guy? Did they not sit down to discuss what they were comfortable with on the list?
Re: Man Breaks Up With His Fiancée Because Of High Cost Of Bride Price. by GboyegaD(m): 10:33am On Nov 08, 2020
cooooooks:
I asked around and it seems the bride is generally not shown the list beforehand.

She should go to her kinsmen to make necessary adjustments to the list.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Need Help To Access Late Dads Bank Account. / Nuru Ibrahim, Nine Year Old Pupil's Hand Rots After School Canning / About Mid-life Transition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.