Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,223 members, 7,953,838 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 07:35 AM

Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa (51723 Views)

Reactions Trail BBN Tacha's Dressing As She Visits Lagos State CP / DJ Cuppy Reunites With Asa Asika, Her Ex-Boyfriend In Portugal / DJ Cuppy Confirms Her Relationship With Asa Asika On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by masseratti: 6:56pm On Jan 29, 2020
johnmattew:
Yoruba isn't minority in Benin and Togo.....40 percent isn't minority
go and argue with Google on that, Yoruba is 15%,fon/egun is the majority with 40% Google is your friend make use of it.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by madjune(m): 6:56pm On Jan 29, 2020
She knows a way lot about making real African music than Burna.

At least, more coherently.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Koolking(m): 6:57pm On Jan 29, 2020
skukimania:

Beautiful Nubia is very good too.

Never heard of him until now. Just googled him. Methinks, he's more of a folklorist (do only traditional folk music).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Nubia
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 29, 2020
Angelique Kidjo: Lionel Messi cool

Burna Boy: Sadio Mane!

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jan 29, 2020
kay29000:

grin

I wonder o. I guess she was high or something
Watch on all her interviews on YouTube, she is full of energy almost Everytime!!!

2 Likes

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by masseratti: 6:59pm On Jan 29, 2020
irunoko:
exactly her mother is from Abeokuta
no be only Abeokuta it's orí òkúta, Guess you don't know about ketu in Benin Republic, her farther and mother are both from Benin Republic, farther is Ègún mum is Yoruba from Benin Republic, we have Eguns in Badagry also in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by WowSweetGuy(m): 7:00pm On Jan 29, 2020
ncoolsome:

Pls can u tell us the track burna boy did that from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceccm1R7-f0#searching
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 7:06pm On Jan 29, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Do benin republic people speak yoruba ni?
very well. They migrated from iseyin, imoeko, and other yoruba towns along the boarder. If you visit cotonou, you go think say na yorubaland you dey
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by cruzydal(m): 7:07pm On Jan 29, 2020
Jestin:
So the criteria for winning the award was based on love ? You have the brain of a cockroach seriously.
Go home and tell your mum that . Omo ale
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 7:09pm On Jan 29, 2020
OROSUNBOLB:

Yes ,they do. There are indigenous Yoruba people in Benin ,Togo, Cote d lvoire,Ghana,Brazil, Cuba and other parts of southern America. These people speak their own indigenous form of Yoruba language till date. You can find many Yoruba towns and villages in these countries e g Ajashe,Popo, Sabe ,Bahia State in Brazil etc.

yea yea yea I knows of Brazil and Cuba
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 7:10pm On Jan 29, 2020
masseratti:
yes they do.. But are in the minorities, but she is half Egun and half Yoruba.
Yorubas in benin are up to 40% and that's not minorities man.yorubas and another tribe called fonn are the owners of benin republic but they dont behave like our yorubas in nigeria. In Togo too, yorubas are many. Their former vice president is a yorubaman
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 7:10pm On Jan 29, 2020
fairfora:
very well. They migrated from iseyin, imoeko, and other yoruba towns along the boarder. If you visit cotonou, you go think say na yorubaland you dey

am just marveled, I love my tribe no b small, we too get mouth
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Olulinks(m): 7:11pm On Jan 29, 2020
You're brilliant!

WowSweetGuy:
i just discovered burna boy *Anybody track was a tune from this lady track

u gotta respect this woman o

I discovered this about 2 weeks ago!

And my Naija people didn't think Grammy organizers already laid thier hands on the songs to know who be the real legend!

2 Likes

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 7:12pm On Jan 29, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Oh oh oh you didn't that greater part of Benin republic are Yorubas.

I don't think you actually know your root.

Benin republic and Togo have Yoruba speaking nation's there which are also same as Yorubas of Nigeria.

So Kidjo speaking yoruba is also like speaking same language in her own country.

I need to sue my history teacher...
The only tin am still having in my upstair in dat subject is "king jaja of Lobo and Usman Dan fodio"
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 7:14pm On Jan 29, 2020
MrHeff:
yoruba ni e and you are asking this question? I dey shame o. Our parents should have done better

Guy u dont need to take pity on me, it's as a result of the great decadence of our culture
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 7:15pm On Jan 29, 2020
LegoxMetahuman:
yeah some parts of benin speak yoruba and bear yoruba names.

it was the stupid english an french people fighting over territory that divided us though.

I dont know much about the last statement tho.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 29, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

am just marveled, I love my tribe no b small, we too get mouth
yes, I visit cotonou frequently. You just speak yoruba to them and you'd be amazed. There was a day we went there to supervise a project on the instruction of our European manufacturer. I saw a boy during the school hours and I asked why he didn't go to school today in yoruba...he said ko si school l'oni grin Even in Togo, their former vice president was a yorubaman. The population of yorubas to non yorubas in Benin is like 40%/60%
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by MrHeff(m): 7:19pm On Jan 29, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Guy u dont need to take pity on me, it's as a result of the great decadence of our culture
i wasn't pitying you, i was ashamed that the older generation haven't been teaching our roots and history to the younger generation
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 29, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

I need to sue my history teacher...
The only tin am still having in my upstair in dat subject is "king jaja of Lobo and Usman Dan fodio"

Jaja of Opobo dey your head but you forgot your root..

Don't sue your English teacher, work on the new knowledge you gathered today for future purposes.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by johnmattew: 7:19pm On Jan 29, 2020
Mastakija:
Yh but has she been there. She stays in New York na. What I'm trying to say is that upon how she hasn't even been in Nigeria for years she still didn't forget her language
I get u..it's only inferiority complex people that will forget their native language or pretend not to even speak.....my uncle has been in Canada for about 40 years and still speak my language more than i

2 Likes

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Mastakija(m): 7:29pm On Jan 29, 2020
johnmattew:
I get u..it's only inferiority complex people that will forget their native language or pretend not to even speak.....my uncle has been in Canada for about 40 years and still speak my language more than i
wow that's very nice
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Jestin: 7:32pm On Jan 29, 2020
cruzydal:

Go home and tell your mum that . Omo ale
obviously you don’t have a mum. Poverty sentenced her to early death

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by kay29000(m): 8:12pm On Jan 29, 2020
eni4real:
Watch on all her interviews on YouTube, she is full of energy almost Everytime!!!

Okay. I'll check her out. Even during her performance at the Grammys she was full of energy.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Rexnegro(m): 8:24pm On Jan 29, 2020
Omo oduduwa ni wa... I am proud to be from Yoruba.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 8:33pm On Jan 29, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Jaja of Opobo dey your head but you forgot your root..

Don't sue your English teacher, work on the new knowledge you gathered today for future purposes.

Lol oga na fight?? grin

BTW my root is Ife, and we were not told dat we came from dahomey.

the reason am still remembering king jaja of opobo is cus d name "jaja and opobo" is kind of funny and odd. sooo
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 8:34pm On Jan 29, 2020
MrHeff:
i wasn't pitying you, i was ashamed that the older generation haven't been teaching our roots and history to the younger generation

Soo true bro
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 29, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Lol oga na fight?? grin

BTW my root is Ife, and we were not told dat we came from dahomey.

the reason am still remembering king jaja of opobo is cus d name "jaja and opobo" is kind of funny and odd. sooo

Jaja and opobo fuuny...

I forgive you.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 8:41pm On Jan 29, 2020
fairfora:
yes, I visit cotonou frequently. You just speak yoruba to them and you'd be amazed. There was a day we went there to supervise a project on the instruction of our European manufacturer. I saw a boy during the school hours and I asked why he didn't go to school today in yoruba...he said ko si school l'oni grin Even in Togo, their former vice president was a yorubaman. The population of yorubas to non yorubas in Benin is like 40%/60%

that boy reply really got me smilingcheesy

2:3 of the population is really high bro, we can safely say half of dem are yorubas.

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by OlawaleBammie: 8:45pm On Jan 29, 2020
MelesZenawi:

Jaja and opobo fuuny...

I forgive you.

Lol, pardon me bro..

I would love to make it an adventure to journey around at least to explore and b exposed more buuut commitment too many jare, and u know dat nobody would want to have a daily problem greater dan his daily bread grin
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Parablesonmarble: 8:50pm On Jan 29, 2020
FrLukas:
Well, she's Yoruba...

Only 10 Nigerians have ever been nominated for Grammy. Of all 10, 7 are full fledge Yorubas (KSA, Femi Kuti, Seun Kuti, Kah-Lo, Wizkid, Sikiru Adepoju and Babatunde Olatunji), 1 is half Yoruba (Burna Boy) while the remaining 2 are Chimanda Adichie and Timaya. In diaspora, Sade Adu, Seal, Tunde Bayewu of light house family and Angelique Kidjo are half Yoruba or have Yoruba roots. There is no question to the fact that the Yorubas are talented music-wise. However, I think Lagos being the entertainment capital of Nigeria contributed to the exposure of the Yorubas and their music, making it easier to be recognized. I think others too are talented enough but not being in the mainstream rob them of recognition.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by manneger2: 8:59pm On Jan 29, 2020
Guestlander:

And there are no Yorubas in Republic of Benin? The Yoruba there are just like the Yorubas in Nigeria, they were divided into different countries by the Europeans.
Yea there is yoruba in Benin Republic, that doesn't make her Nigeria
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jan 29, 2020
Parablesonmarble:

Only 10 Nigerians have ever been nominated for Grammy. Of all 10, 7 are full fledge Yorubas (KSA, Femi Kuti, Seun Kuti, Kah-Lo, Wizkid, Sikiru Adepoju and Babatunde Olatunji), 1 is half Yoruba (Burna Boy) while the remaining 2 are Chimanda Adichie and Timaya. In diaspora, Sade Adu, Seal, Tunde Bayewu of light house family and Angelique Kidjo are half Yoruba or have Yoruba roots. There is no question to the fact that the Yorubas are talented music-wise. However, I think Lagos being the entertainment capital of Nigeria contributed to the exposure of the Yorubas and their music, making it easier to be recognized. I think others too are talented enough but not being in the mainstream rob them of recognition.

I think the reason Yorubas seem naturally gifted in music is because of
1. The Yoruba language which is highly tonal. Every word is in d, r , m form.

2. The historical heritage which shows a culture where music takes pride of place.

Remember that in Yorubaland we have different story telling styles, Alo apamo, alo apagbe etc, where stories come with songs embedded, otherwise the story ain't complete.

Look at the rich array of musical instruments, the talking drum, the omele, the shekere, the agogo, the dundun, the bata drums, the saworo ide, gangan, Iya ilu, etc.

Different dance steps for different drum beats. Look at King Sunny Ade's unbeatable leg work. Lawd! Second to none.

There are particular families whose family names depict that their trade is drumming. Hence you have names like Ayantola, Ayanwale, etc.

The likes of Sunny Ade, Ebenezer Obey, Orlando Owoh and co ruled the Nigerian airwaves for a long time.

You can't grow up in such a setting surrounded by all these and not know how to sing jare.

This isn't even about some oyinbo award in far away America.

This is about making music that delights the soul. Music that once you hear it, you can't get it off your mind easily.

There are more talents out there in Yorubaland waiting to be discovered. Many may not be discovered because Nigeria is the graveyard of talents.

Look at that little boy hawking only-God-knows-what whose talent in replicating a popular gospel song earned him a better life and a brighter future, just recently.

I believe even better artists will come out from Yorubaland and the sky is just the starting point really.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos:meet Nigerian Football Legend Jay-jay Okocha Beautiful Family / Neo Akpofure In Ghana; Travels Out Of Nigeria For The First Time / Wizkid Storms 02arena Stage Wearing Close to N3million Dress, Fans Reacts (photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.