Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa (51314 Views)

Reactions Trail BBN Tacha's Dressing As She Visits Lagos State CP / DJ Cuppy Reunites With Asa Asika, Her Ex-Boyfriend In Portugal / DJ Cuppy Confirms Her Relationship With Asa Asika On Twitter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Mistermamus(m): 9:39pm On Jan 29, 2020
diz na old video na shuu
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by vicfajeze: 9:42pm On Jan 29, 2020
FrLukas:
Well, she's Yoruba...
from Usuada community in OWO,ONDO STATE
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Saaog(m): 9:53pm On Jan 29, 2020
Parablesonmarble:

Only 10 Nigerians have ever been nominated for Grammy. Of all 10, 7 are full fledge Yorubas (KSA, Femi Kuti, Seun Kuti, Kah-Lo, Wizkid, Sikiru Adepoju and Babatunde Olatunji), 1 is half Yoruba (Burna Boy) while the remaining 2 are Chimanda Adichie and Timaya. In diaspora, Sade Adu, Seal, Tunde Bayewu of light house family and Angelique Kidjo are half Yoruba or have Yoruba roots. There is no question to the fact that the Yorubas are talented music-wise. However, I think Lagos being the entertainment capital of Nigeria contributed to the exposure of the Yorubas and their music, making it easier to be recognized. I think others too are talented enough but not being in the mainstream rob them of recognition.
. You forgot to mention kelvin Olusola

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Tunbolity(m): 9:56pm On Jan 29, 2020
fairfora:
yes, I visit cotonou frequently. You just speak yoruba to them and you'd be amazed. There was a day we went there to supervise a project on the instruction of our European manufacturer. I saw a boy during the school hours and I asked why he didn't go to school today in yoruba...he said ko si school l'oni grin Even in Togo, their former vice president was a yorubaman. The population of yorubas to non yorubas in Benin is like 40%/60%
the VP you talked about wasn't born in Togo, he was an immigrant from Saki, Oyo State according to sources.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by chukwugoziegi: 10:03pm On Jan 29, 2020
elbulk:

Oga they speak Yoruba in Benin Republic too, in a certain kind of way. They have the Yoruba King, same for Hausa there too. It´s not a strange language for them.
If you´ve truly listened to hr music then you will know Yoruba is native to her

Who is arguing all these with you now? I only mentioned that she is half Yoruba because her mother was from Iseyin. What's my business with who is king in Ketou, Pobe or Ajasse?
Calm down please, I'm not one of those tribal bigots you can take to the cleaners.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Nobody: 10:12pm On Jan 29, 2020
Tunbolity:
the VP you talked about wasn't born in Togo, he was an immigrant from Saki, Oyo State according to sources.
yea.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Monaco2(m): 10:33pm On Jan 29, 2020
WowSweetGuy:
i just discovered burna boy *Anybody track was a tune from this lady track

u gotta respect this woman o

Which of her songs
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by paparazzi1987(m): 10:42pm On Jan 29, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Do benin republic people speak yoruba ni?

Yes na
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by AmDayo: 11:42pm On Jan 29, 2020
hisexcellency34:
She is Yoruba. Her father is from Ilesha in Osun state

Her father is from Benin
while her mother is a yoruba
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Youngtekkey(m): 12:13am On Jan 30, 2020
MrHeff:
nigeria is not the only country you will find yorubas. Togo, Benin also have ancestral yorubas. Black South Americans predominantly have yoruba roots as their ancestors were yoruba slaves.

So don't be surprised Kidjo is fluent. Even her legendary songs like Agolo and Wombolombo have yoruba lyrics.

I really find it funny most people don't know this
Don't mind them, My Dad is a togolese and I stayed in Togo till like when i was 13 before coming to Nigeria and even before coming to Nigeria, I can speak Yoruba very well

2 Likes

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Biodun556(m): 1:27am On Jan 30, 2020
tammie24:
She's has Yoruba roots

She is Yoruba from Benin Republic

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by irunoko(m): 4:44am On Jan 30, 2020
masseratti:
no be only Abeokuta it's orí òkúta, Guess you don't know about ketu in Benin Republic, her farther and mother are both from Benin Republic, farther is Ègún mum is Yoruba from Benin Republic, we have Egyns in Badagry also in Nigeria.
her mom is from abeokuta.jen gboro
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by anonimi: 4:50am On Jan 30, 2020
hisexcellency34:

Where did you pick this story from? As in the source of your tale?

chukwugoziegi:
Her mom was from iseyin na, She's half Yoruba.

This may be a more correct version of her link to Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by WowSweetGuy(m): 5:04am On Jan 30, 2020
Monaco2:

Which of her songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceccm1R7-f0#searching

check this out...i fogot d name of her song
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by berbz(m): 6:29am On Jan 30, 2020
WowSweetGuy:
i just discovered burna boy *Anybody track was a tune from this lady track

u gotta respect this woman o

Main reason why she won over burna

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by 9jakool: 7:09am On Jan 30, 2020
masseratti:
go and argue with Google on that, Yoruba is 15%,fon/egun is the majority with 40% Google is your friend make use of it.
It depends on which statistics you look at. The one I looked at showed that Yoruba is the second largest ethnic group at 18% after Fon at 39%. The percentage for Fon is never referring to Fon as a standalone group. The Fon percentage also includes all the closely related people like Gun(Egun), Weme, Mahi and Agbome.

3 Likes

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by masseratti: 9:06am On Jan 30, 2020
9jakool:

It depends on which statistics you look at. The one I looked at showed that Yoruba is the second largest ethnic group at 18% after Fon at 39%. The percentage for Fon is never referring to Fon as a standalone group. The Fon percentage also includes all the closely related people like Gun(Egun), Weme, Mahi and Agbome.
Fọn is Ègún/gunu pure and simple, just like Yoruba has Ìjẹ̀bú, Ilesha awori, subs they av their too and they are all under Fon/egun, all the others you tried to refer to has no meaning, when you apply the same to the % of yorubas.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by masseratti: 9:08am On Jan 30, 2020
irunoko:
her mom is from abeokuta.jen gboro
lolz àní orí òkúta ni.

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by MrHeff(m): 9:16am On Jan 30, 2020
Youngtekkey:
Don't mind them, My Dad is a togolese and I stayed in Togo till like when i was 13 before coming to Nigeria and even before coming to Nigeria, I can speak Yoruba very well
wow! That's beautiful omo iya mi.

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by doragos007: 9:29am On Jan 30, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Verify your facts before posting.she has Yoruba origins but her mother not her father is Yoruba
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by irunoko(m): 12:44pm On Jan 30, 2020
masseratti:
lolz àní orí òkúta ni.
gbenusoun.okin gboro cool
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Youngtekkey(m): 12:51pm On Jan 30, 2020
MrHeff:
wow! That's beautiful omo iya mi.
shocked Do you have a togolese parents ni?
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by MrHeff(m): 3:15pm On Jan 30, 2020
Youngtekkey:

shocked Do you have a togolese parents ni?
lol noooo. I view all yorubas as one. So you are my omo iya no matter what.
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Youngtekkey(m): 3:29pm On Jan 30, 2020
MrHeff:
lol noooo. I view all yorubas as one. So you are my omo iya no matter what.
Sure, we are all omo iya kan na
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Monaco2(m): 7:57am On Feb 01, 2020
WowSweetGuy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceccm1R7-f0#searching

check this out...i fogot d name of her song

Ok

1 Like

Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by Tekecoms1(m): 6:36pm On Mar 14, 2020
[quote author=Glycosunde post=86211966]
Hu
Re: Angelique Kidjo Speaks Yoruba As She Visits Lagos Studio And Meets With Asa by kasim155: 11:06pm On Mar 14, 2020
careytommy37:
'em......ex-kiss mi efribodi. na only me see where Kidjo dey claim to be 13 in 93, as in indirectly claiming to be 39 years?

The same Kidjo wey I don dey see for tv since '94

From d video, she said that d last time she was here she was 13 yrs old den but she left in 1993. D age at which she was wen she left that is what she didn't mention in d video.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Regina Daniels And Her Newborn Baby (Photos) / Bolanle: "Zlatan Ibile Is Sweet Inside And Out" - Lady Says After Dinner Date / Tope Osoba In Bum Shot On Set (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.