Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products (15573 Views)

Photos Of Stew, Food Imported From China Seized By Customs In Nigeria / Container Of Military Wears Intercepted By Customs In Port-Harcourt. Photos / Photos Of The Exotic Cars Impounded By Customs In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by temptnow: 2:25pm On Jan 31, 2020
osuofia2:
WHAT OF THE CUSTOMS IN THE NORTH, DONT THEY SEIZE ANYTHING

Cars are being seized over their in the North. The reason is that smugglers don't want to waste time in clearing frozen food from the Benin republic and start transporting to Niger en route to Nigeria. That's a long hot journey.

The reason is that Niger republic import their goods through Benin republic. So smugglers prefer to bring in cars and rice from that angle.
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by sparko1(m): 2:27pm On Jan 31, 2020
travelwaka:
In Nigeria the poverty rate and the corruption is so high that we do not even know what is right from what is wrong. Any government that really want to end corruption in Nigeria will have to do a lot of publicity to engage the people on what is right or wrong
Let me give few example

I was opportune to be in a church where they were doing youth empowerment and some rich guys in the church offered grants to some business ideas, but you will need to convince the judges that your business is viable. Then bro Samson came out with his 20 pages proposal of how he knows how to bring rice cheaply from kotonou , he said he knows people that can help transport it in some remote villages off the sight of customs . He even said he knows the customs to bribe that will give him info of where and where he will pass. That at the end he will make between 6 to 10k per bag of rice which is a good investment.
Then one of the judges said did you what you just said is illegal and you can get arrested for that. And bro Samson argued , then i realise he actually didnt know he just said was a crime , cos everyone does it and it has become a normal thing

Again I was in a public transport and the driver would not give this police man bribe again the passengers were the first to say oga give am now na normal thing, again i was like what Has crime become so popular that we now see it as normal

Lastly when things like this happen Nigerians will be shouting why is the government wicked, peoples investment bla bla bla , then also the custom officials would seize the rice and it willl end up in their wifes shop. I used to know at least 5 customs officials that sell rice.

If we are serious about making this country work it has to be a collective effort not the case of where the government officials and the people are sabotaging the process.

That is the problem with Nigerians.

I have lots of experience that sometime it breaks my heart, I remember, I was in a car and the radio was on, and this news about EFCC arresting about 100 young yahoo boys and then a debate broke, see how mature men were defending and saying the government is wrong, they should allow them to look for money and some even went as far as saying they are actively looking for a way to learn and do it themselves, I couldn't hold my breath.

1 Like

Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by nograv: 2:31pm On Jan 31, 2020
travelwaka:
In Nigeria the poverty rate and the corruption is so high that we do not even know what is right from what is wrong. Any government that really want to end corruption in Nigeria will have to do a lot of publicity to engage the people on what is right or wrong
Let me give few example

I was opportune to be in a church where they were doing youth empowerment and some rich guys in the church offered grants to some business ideas, but you will need to convince the judges that your business is viable. Then bro Samson came out with his 20 pages proposal of how he knows how to bring rice cheaply from kotonou , he said he knows people that can help transport it in some remote villages off the sight of customs . He even said he knows the customs to bribe that will give him info of where and where he will pass. That at the end he will make between 6 to 10k per bag of rice which is a good investment.
Then one of the judges said did you what you just said is illegal and you can get arrested for that. And bro Samson argued , then i realise he actually didnt know he just said was a crime , cos everyone does it and it has become a normal thing

Again I was in a public transport and the driver would not give this police man bribe again the passengers were the first to say oga give am now na normal thing, again i was like what Has crime become so popular that we now see it as normal

Lastly when things like this happen Nigerians will be shouting why is the government wicked, peoples investment bla bla bla , then also the custom officials would seize the rice and it willl end up in their wifes shop. I used to know at least 5 customs officials that sell rice.

If we are serious about making this country work it has to be a collective effort not the case of where the government officials and the people are sabotaging the process.

You are correct, but the rot has been going on for so long... It will not be easy to correct and would have to be done in sustained way over decades.

Not a little rule here or there..

Take Lagos banning Okadas. By the next governor the law will probably be repealed. You want to end them, you have to ban them and enforce the law consistently over many years.

At the same time you need to enforce standards like driving examinations to ensure drivers are not so reckless. At the moment, such thinking is beyond state or federal governments.

Combined with an undereducated population where a lot of folks are not taught right and wrong in the context of wider society.

1 Like

Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by tityboi: 3:04pm On Jan 31, 2020
Really
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by ukahrawah: 3:18pm On Jan 31, 2020
Are they really going to burn them? Ok, born them into their belly.
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by SonofDevil: 3:23pm On Jan 31, 2020
cRobo:
This is how one rich fellow will pack up and go back to the village
any richman that spend his life savings on illegal business is a fool.

Federal only close land borders, any legit business can use the air,or port to import their consignment.
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by OROSUNBOLB(m): 3:37pm On Jan 31, 2020
These items will definitely end up in the officers various kitchens. Up Nigeria !
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by saintol(m): 3:57pm On Jan 31, 2020
Burn few, keep few.
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by cRAFTsVEN: 3:59pm On Jan 31, 2020
There are lots of legit ways to make money in Nigeria besides theft abeg!

Copy this link into your whatsapp

/2348035285739?text=Sage%20FromA015%20IWant%20To%20TakePart%20InThe%20FreeTraining
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by Litmus: 4:17pm On Jan 31, 2020
Liposure:
Nigerian Custom no go allow chicken, turkey, rice enter 4 south. But dem dey allow cow dey enter 4 north. Double standard

Evidence please.

2 Likes

Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by peterinah: 4:26pm On Jan 31, 2020
This is where president buhari got it right with border closure. Imagine say we no close border, how many corona virus for don enter 9ja.

1 Like

Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by mechanics(m): 4:45pm On Jan 31, 2020
People can be desperate, using chemical to preserve dead bodies on foodstuffs, I hope they will be caught one day.
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by Giftedtu: 5:45pm On Jan 31, 2020
When i'm still thinking of a way to make mine go round the country people are importing from outside, please if you need poultry product in your area contact me and i will deliver it to you wherever you are...

2 Likes

Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by McRhymesman: 7:58pm On Jan 31, 2020
Only someone from Ogun can relate well, the ways the custom officials dey trouble us for Ogun
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by Tayeni(m): 9:03pm On Jan 31, 2020
Ijaya123:

Why do they need to do this? Can’t they think of better things to do with them?

They can distribute the poultry products to Nigerian Prison Service where prisoners are underfed or better still, to IDP camps where those commodities are badly needed.

Critical and deep thinking seem to be far from some government agencies.
While that may look like a very kind thing to do, giving food with unknown source and quality to people is stupid.

What if those chicken have been preserved with toxic chemicals or were culled livestock?

Think of the headline:" FG kills 200 Kirikiri inmates with contaminated chicken".
That's critical thinking.

1 Like

Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by Charles545: 9:46am On Feb 01, 2020
Ijaya123:

Why do they need to do this? Can’t they think of better things to do with them?

They can distribute the poultry products to Nigerian Prison Service where prisoners are underfed or better still, to IDP camps where those commodities are badly needed.

Critical and deep thinking seem to be far from some government agencies.

No! You're wrong on your conclusion. The seized items are counterfeit products hence can't be given to anyone as food
Re: Smuggling: Customs In Ogun Seize 944 Cartons Of Poultry Products by Ijaya123: 2:21pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
While that may look like a very kind thing to do, giving food with unknown source and quality to people is stupid.

What if those chicken have been preserved with toxic chemicals or were culled livestock?

Think of the headline:" FG kills 200 Kirikiri inmates with contaminated chicken".
That's critical thinking.

You have a point there though.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ade Marafa Is Dead, Senator Kabir Marafa’s Sister Killed By Bandits / Housewife Tortures 12- Year-old Girl For Stealing Meat / My Ex Lied That I Raped Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.