Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,087 members, 7,821,756 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:56 PM

Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo (24250 Views)

What's Your Opinion About Teachers Flogging Or Punishing Your Child? / Lagos To Give 10,000 Radio Sets To Pupils For Homeschooling / Professor Wendy Osefo Racially Attacked For Speaking Against Racism In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Butoneday2(m): 9:06pm On Feb 01, 2020
Gbam, Nwa ka nwa, Aha Igbo agaghi efu. The rising sun has stand.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 9:06pm On Feb 01, 2020
texazzpete:

Yes. You can learn by living in the East. Many Unilag students learn Yoruba just by living and interacting with people in Yaba. Nobody forced them to take lectures in Yoruba.

You can also make Igbo a compulsory subject and that would help too

I agree with you smiley smiley smiley smiley.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by samwash(m): 9:11pm On Feb 01, 2020
mvem:
No!...Japanese and Chinese because of pride speak their own language...you don't see Japanese prime minister speak English in the UN meeting even if he can. See! igbo is dying. I see many Igbo youths that can't speak igbo, forming phonetics. Unlike Hausa and Yoruba that is taught from childhood. Many igbo parents sometimes willingly refuse teaching Igbo to their kids because they want them to appear more western or civilized which is very wrong. See many igbo brought ups in Lagos, Kaduna, kano etc can't speak igbo. In the North even in official setting they joyfully speak their hausa but in the east it is not the case. I don't know why many igbos sometimes pretend they can't speak igbo and this is rampant among young youths and those slay Queens...The language will slowly die with this mentality erasing our culture. We should encourage igbo to be spoken and no one should be shy to speak it. We igbos always try to appear more western which in the long run will affect our heritage.

I get ur agurement, it boils down to our parents refusing to speak our local dialect to the children.
Another factor is inter-marriage, wereby both parents don't understand each other language, which one will the child learn.
Another factor is our environment. If they leave in an environment predominant with other tribe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by PHijo(m): 9:11pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
You can't educate me on how languages have evolved over the centuries. My pOV is that we are far behind on the curve to start coining words for items, processes, technologies that we have not taken part in building. What we should be bothered about is technology transfer.... I couldn't care less about the Lang we use. Let's chase after the real things and not shadows.

This is preposterous!
Shampoo for instance is Hindi, the English adopted it. Was an "technology transfer " required for them to adopt it?

There is no "we".

The Yoruba and Fulani elite in particular have made it abundantly clear that there is no "we" in the way they act.

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by SpartanKing: 9:12pm On Feb 01, 2020
englishmart:
This is a welcome development. In the core north they teach English language and mathematics using hausa language.
hahahahahaha!
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 9:13pm On Feb 01, 2020
Premiumwriter:
are they as diverse as we are?

does japan or china have over 250 languages within its boundaries? if we all encourage our local languages over english then how should the country be governed?

if buhari today can only speak fulani fluently and osibanjo only yoruba how are they going to communicate with each other and moreover the over 250 other ethnic groups?

and should the government make provisions for maths, biology, chemistry to be translated into the over 250 ethnic groups individually? the problem of choosing to teach in our local language will bring far more problem and disunity than the common english.

Most Nigerians understand the three main languages- Igbo, Yoruba and Hausa. Well, the damage has been done from the foundation of Nigeria. However, we can create our destiny towards a better future. Rwanda is actively promoting local languages as the languages of teaching in Rwandan secondary schools.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 9:14pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:
Many Nigerians are willing to learn Chinese when they want to go and study in China, or learn German when they want to travel to Germany for business or pleasure. However when a Chinese man or woman comes here, we speak English to them and kowtow to them. If the Nigerian Government is serious about serious development for the nation, the teaching of our local languages and culture should be massively promoted in our Primary and Secondary schools.
What should be massively promoted in all schools is STEM education. That is the only thing that will help the black man. And get him respect. That's the only type of education that will make him a creator instead of a perpetual consumer. If parents and families can't promote languages and culture.... so be it.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by athaboi(f): 9:15pm On Feb 01, 2020
BigSarah:
Very Good development, it's terrible being unable to speak ones local dialect.. I hate that about me, hopefully nysc will take me to the east finally....
Meanwhile check my signature!
. Inukwa...my mama say I be igbo
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by mvem(m): 9:15pm On Feb 01, 2020
Premiumwriter:

does japan or china have over 250 languages within its boundaries? if we all encourage our local languages over english then how should the country be governed?

if buhari today can only speak fulani fluently and osibanjo only yoruba how are they going to communicate with each other and moreover the over 250 other ethnic groups?

and should the government make provisions for maths, biology, chemistry to be translated into the over 250 ethnic groups individually? the problem of choosing to teach in our local language will bring far more problem and disunity than the common english.
but Hausa and Yoruba is not dying... why is igbo dying and this is no wild claim...A research was done and discovered that Igbo is a dying language. I could remember someone present an article during an ndi-igbo pan cultural event and said in 50 years the language might not be spoken by many igbos

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by codemaniacs: 9:16pm On Feb 01, 2020
zz
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by mvem(m): 9:17pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
You are Igbo and I'm Yoruba... Why are we alike? you just spoke my mind.
All these ethnical hate is a backward mentality...Every Ethnic group claiming superiority over the other
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 9:17pm On Feb 01, 2020
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by mvem(m): 9:20pm On Feb 01, 2020
Premiumwriter:

I never said we should only speak our native tongue...but let our efforts not make us lose our heritage and culture in the name of meeting up with globalization and westernization. Our diversity should be a thing of pride not shyness.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by highness25(m): 9:20pm On Feb 01, 2020
Ctorch:

https://punchng.com/anambra-to-punish-teachers-flogging-pupils-for-speaking-igbo?fbclid=IwAR1nzwYYWdCwGKoWryM040AMuWcXBNmAtyZEWd_cVWiitUvvO4fpK_4rHUw
What kind of stupid flogging is that? Imaging as a corper I'll be teaching and they'll be insulting me with their language. Useless set of people!
I'll flog the hell out of them
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by codemaniacs: 9:21pm On Feb 01, 2020
zz

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 9:22pm On Feb 01, 2020
PHijo:

This is preposterous!
Shampoo for instance is Hindi, the English adopted it. Was an "technology transfer " required for them to adopt it?

There is no "we".

The Yoruba and Fulani elite in particular have made it abundantly clear that there is no "we" in the way they act.
Do you also know that some Nigerian English are finding thier way into the dictionary? That doesn't impress me much. Entertainment and culture is what we are known for.... but who that one help? What should impress us is how much we can contribute to the body of knowledge the world is gathering.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Emechrist: 9:23pm On Feb 01, 2020
Thats good development . Some parents even ban their kids from speaking their mother language at home.I wonder the type mentality such people have.may be they think that speaking English fluently translates to been intelligent.If that is the case, then China,Japan and other developed nations that dosn't speak English should have been a failed nations. My three (3)yrs old daugher's teacher came one day to express her anger over our inability to be communicating with our daughter in English .I told her that as 'nwa afo Igbo' I will never communicate with my children in white man's language rather I will in my language and in my dialect
Onye kpo oba ya nkpokoro agbata obi ewere ya kpo ahiha. Igbo latanu ulo na taa bu gboo
Ctorch:

https://punchng.com/anambra-to-punish-teachers-flogging-pupils-for-speaking-igbo?fbclid=IwAR1nzwYYWdCwGKoWryM040AMuWcXBNmAtyZEWd_cVWiitUvvO4fpK_4rHUw
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 9:24pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
What should be massively promoted in all schools is STEM education. That is the only thing that will help the black man. And get him respect. That's the only type of education that will make him a creator instead of a perpetual consumer. If parents and families can't promote languages and culture.... so be it.

We have culture in Nigeria. Our Arts and Crafts industry is a Multi-Billion naira untapped and underexposed business. We can start from there. Do you know how much the rattan bags and crafts below cost in Europe and America?

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by LZAA: 9:25pm On Feb 01, 2020
Ebenezar2020 wee not like this
Cc immhotep GMBuharii Afamed helinues blackking98

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by OlawaleBammie: 9:25pm On Feb 01, 2020
CSTR2:

The day I overhead a native igbo song being translated completely differently into Yoruba, I shock. shocked

Me a no dey follow sing oo, a no dey do pass mysef cheesy
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by codemaniacs: 9:26pm On Feb 01, 2020
zz
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by PHijo(m): 9:33pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
Do you also know that some Nigerian English are finding thier way into the dictionary? That doesn't impress me much. Entertainment and culture is what we are known for.... but who that one help? What should impress us is how much we can contribute to the body of knowledge the world is gathering.

Maybe better understanding of our languages would help advance technology.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 9:35pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
I don't blame you for holding that opinion because we all know the reality as per the unity of this country.... the difference is just....I am a chronic optimist.

Don't be please.... Don't.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 9:35pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:

We have culture in Nigeria. Our Arts and Crafts industry is a Multi-Billion naira untapped and underexposed business. We can start from there. Do you know how much the rattan bags and crafts below cost in Europe and America?
OMG!!! please tell me you are joking with those crude rattan whatever. Do you know how much of your hides and skin go to Europe and at what ridiculously low price we sell them for and what the finished products go for? and do you know how much a Prada bag costs? Your elites pay a billion times more to get designer bags than Europeans would for your rrrattan bags. It's better we step our game up and start producing real things.

Black Americans are doing well in music and sports.... but that has not helped them economically as a group. Get the right education and apply it and get respect.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Redman44(m): 9:38pm On Feb 01, 2020
Tayeni:
OMG!!! please tell me you are joking with those crude rattan whatever. Do you know how much of your hides and skin go to Europe and at what ridiculously low price we sell them for and what the finished products go for? and do you know how much a Prada bag costs? Your elites pay a billion times more to get designer bags than Europeans would for your rrrattan bags. It's better we step our game up and start producing real things.

Black Americans are doing well in music and sports.... but that has not helped them economically as a group. Get the right education and apply it and get respect.

Please go online and check the prices of rattan bags in Europe. We are the ones underselling ourselves to them. Whites love natural products made from nature. You can fake designer bags. You can't fake African rattan bags and crafts.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 9:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
LZAA:
Ebenezar2020 wee not like this
Cc immhotep GMBuharii Afamed helinues blackking98
Ebenezar2020 is still recovering from Amotekun grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 01, 2020
PHijo:

This is preposterous!

There is no "we".

Another salvo fired.

Today is your day ..
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by codemaniacs: 9:48pm On Feb 01, 2020
zz

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 9:49pm On Feb 01, 2020
Redman44:

Please go online and check the prices of rattan bags in Europe. We are the ones underselling ourselves to them. Whites love natural products made from nature. You can fake designer bags. You can't fake African rattan bags and crafts.
I don't need to check online to know they cost a dime a dozen. Those things are crudeeeee
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by texazzpete(m): 9:51pm On Feb 01, 2020
codemaniacs:

respect the language and culture of the environment you find yourself living in.

If you live in the Igbo speaking states respect their language and culture.

you espouse intolerance towards to culture of your hosts.

So you’re saying the Oba of Lagos was right to say they should throw Igbo people in the lagoon if they don’t vote APC?
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by codemaniacs: 9:57pm On Feb 01, 2020
zz
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Auto200: 9:58pm On Feb 01, 2020
The worst are THOSE STUPID ONES THAT TAKE ENGLISH NAME AS SURNAME!!! pure stupidity! If you want your kids to take your name; then let them take that your Igbo name and not “ Chioma Henry” ... I met one that said her name is Percious Charles! One mgbeke for that matter
masterP042:
Why our people like foreign things too much to the detriment of their identity is what I don't understand.

Was speaking with one the other day she called our language "vernacular". Wetin pain me pass be say even the English she no sabi, oya pidgin sef, the worse, nonsense. I don't blame them, na low esteem dey do them.

Especially all these lagos brought up, they hardly speak our language, they even prefer yoruba. Igbos are fast losing their identity.
Asusu igbo di uso, bikonu ka anyi na-akwado asusu anyi. Ndewonu.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Encounter With A Randy Lecturer / 37 Kano Nursing Students In Egypt Will Return Home Over Poor Performance / FG Considers Compulsory Levy For Students In Primary, Secondary Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.