Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,120 members, 7,821,837 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:54 PM

Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo (24251 Views)

What's Your Opinion About Teachers Flogging Or Punishing Your Child? / Lagos To Give 10,000 Radio Sets To Pupils For Homeschooling / Professor Wendy Osefo Racially Attacked For Speaking Against Racism In US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 11:40pm On Feb 01, 2020
codemaniacs:

keep deceiving yourself.

people get work experience and training after they get the job not before.

people work in companies owned by someone of the same ethnicity as them even in advanced countries.
okay
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 11:44pm On Feb 01, 2020
gregyboy:

The north are loosing thier language to hausas even the fulfude is not excluded here and why the hausas has not yet lost its language is because they have bluntly disallowed western education
When they beging to accept it the effect will take place....

Yorubas are fast losing thier language to the lagos yorubas take it or leave the population of yorubas who are educated are still way fewer than the igbos and they often dont travel like the igbos because of language barriers ( disadvantage)

Igbos are currently expriencing this because they are more exposed westernlly than the other tribes ,they travel alot so they fast loose thier langiage because of this and they can actually blend to any society....
If you dont like the way the igbos are loosi g thier language then you should as well tell them to stop frequent migration and cutoff any western education....

There is nothing special by the other two tribes keeping thier language soon or later they will loose it
Language will always be lost and gained

Thank you for stating this truth as bluntly and as simply as possible
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by dumodust(m): 11:45pm On Feb 01, 2020
Premiumwriter:
the only person that seems to be making any sense on this thread.

nigeria is a multicultural nation with more than 250 ethnic groups and language. we need a unifying language and of course we cannot choose hausa, yoruba or any of the other ethnic group over the other. hence english. don't know why some people tend to criticize the adoption of english
He's very wrong and very much misguided and your supporting argument makes no sense. Children are able to absorb more than one language during their formative years. I'm a product of that multilingual system and I speak my native tongue, English and pidgin fluently and able to switch in several appropriate scenarios without even noticing that I am as a result of my upbringing. Your mother tongue is your mother tongue, an essential part of your identity and culture... No one respects you for totally adopting another man's culture.
And referring to native languages as for poor people is derogatory and I am sure this guy doesn't have much coins in his pocket. English is our vernacular

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Tayeni(m): 11:51pm On Feb 01, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Well, none exists because Igbo vocabulary has not been specifically adapted to science. If it is adapted, surely the word for it will be created. Most languages have words for things/items it is familiar with. Thus, Igbo language can give you the Igbo words/names for nearly all species of trees, plants and animals in Nigeria (it has an advanced plant and animal vocabulary) but only a few words for science or medicinal terminology because these are latest inventions/introductions to Igbo land and the language has not yet been adapted fully to then. 300 years ago, 'gamma radiation', did not exist in English Language. However, it exists today because the language created more vocabulary to accommodate its encounter with science.
You should know it's not possible....what you are wishing for. Translating scienceterminologies into Igbo is coming too late and won't ever ever fly. You're just being an idealist.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Pruwa: 11:54pm On Feb 01, 2020
bigfrancis21:

We Igbos are complaining that some of us don't speak, a non-Igbo is proud that we speak. cheesy The irony of life.

Which Igbos did you observe exactly and where?

Anambra and ebony precisely

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by OyinO: 12:02am On Feb 02, 2020
Best news in 2020 so far.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by OyinO: 12:05am On Feb 02, 2020
tobstarizhia:
I am strongly against pidgin being spoken in school, or anything different from the language that is taught. Like it or not, Nigeria is a multicultural entity, and as such we need a unifying lingua franca to better understand one another. Hence English. It annoys me when I see people speaking the English poorly. middle class citizens mind you, not necessarily the poor. Pidgin or vernacular is a poor man's language, and the sooner we stop representing that in all our media the better. Improving our mother tongue is also commendable. nothing wrong in that. In a class room setting where English is the language that is being taught, any other language should not be tolerated.

Yeah, short form of colonial mentality is colo mentality. Chinese students in England first translate English to Chinese, do the assignment or homework and translate back to English for submission. You are a happy slave to the colonial slave masters. Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Bob Marley spoke and sang in pidgin. I don't think anybody in your lineage will ever be popular or great as those two. Fela's rememberance is celebrated annually in English America. Bob Marley is celebrated world wide annually too. They spoke and sang in English. Who English or England epp!?

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by alekuwodo(m): 12:26am On Feb 02, 2020
It's only in this country that our mother tongue is a vernacular.

Meanwhile invest in upland rice cultivation and make 20% profit in 6 months check my signature. http: ///2348072402217.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by danvon(m): 12:33am On Feb 02, 2020
dumodust:

He's very wrong and very much misguided and your supporting argument makes no sense. Children are able to absorb more than one language during their formative years. I'm a product of that multilingual system and I speak my native tongue, English and pidgin fluently and able to switch in several appropriate scenarios without even noticing that I am as a result of my upbringing. Your mother tongue is your mother tongue, an essential part of your identity and culture... No one respects you for totally adopting another man's culture.
And referring to native languages as for poor people is derogatory and I am sure this guy doesn't have much coins in his pocket. English is our vernacular
What of those people that were not born with ur upbringing, from what you just stated you didn't put much effort in learning languages it came naturally or luckily
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by danvon(m): 12:36am On Feb 02, 2020
OyinO:

Yeah, short form of colonial mentality is colo mentality. Chinese students in England first translate English to Chinese, do the assignment or homework and translate back to English for submission. You are a happy slave to the colonial slave masters. Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Bob Marley spoke and sang in pidgin. I don't think anybody in your lineage will ever be popular or great as those two. Fela's rememberance is celebrated annually in English America. Bob Marley is celebrated world wide annually too. They spoke and sang in English. Who English or England epp!?
But Pidgin was originally a slave language
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by OyinO: 12:55am On Feb 02, 2020
danvon:
But Pidgin was originally a slave language

Nope!
Pidgin English can be defined as a mixture of rotten English and local language. It is not African. It's the language of colonial master called Great Britain and England. French for Francophone Africa and what have you. It's a reminder of the sad and bitter past of brutal colonialism.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by naijacentric(m): 2:18am On Feb 02, 2020
masterP042:
Why our people like foreign things too much to the detriment of their identity is what I don't understand.

Was speaking with one the other day she called our language "vernacular". Wetin pain me pass be say even the English she no sabi, oya pidgin sef, the worse, nonsense. I don't blame them, na low esteem dey do them.

Especially all these lagos brought up, they hardly speak our language, they even prefer yoruba. Igbos are fast losing their identity.
Asusu igbo di uso, bikonu ka anyi na-akwado asusu anyi. Ndewonu.
u guys should stop dis nonsense what about the other tribes who grew up in the east who prefer igbo language to theirs make una calm down o
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 6:53am On Feb 02, 2020
gregyboy:

Yea am sincere about it just yesterday i told her she should take upon an edo name
To her names ,

ok
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Premiumwriter: 6:58am On Feb 02, 2020
dumodust:

was it in the four walls of the classroom you learnt pidgin English and your mother language?
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by IGBOmarryme: 7:10am On Feb 02, 2020
Redman44:

Really? That is good then. Yoruba states need to follow suit. It is a good way of boosting the domestic fashion industry and also promoting our various cultures. I have always pushed for policies like this online. It should even be enshrined in our constitution.

Yorubas should push for oduduwa republic instead, they and the Fulanis have brought this country to her knees, its high time everyone goes his own way.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by MERCHANDISER: 8:11am On Feb 02, 2020
samwash:
I hate it when student of these day can't express themselves in simple English.
And if a Nigerian can not express his or her self in English language in the global stage, you call them illiterates, you start agureing that English is not our mother tougue, but you forgot that Nigeria is an English speaking Nation.
gi na English ana eme cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by AfroKnight: 8:25am On Feb 02, 2020
musicwriter:

Been following this thread but just have to respond because you have no idea this very argument you have here was the same argument that stopped Britain for a long time from adopting English as their official language.

For your information, Britain was also colonized and even enslaved at some point in their national life. Once upon a time, Britain was also under occupation!. Britain was colonized by Rome, Germanic people, Scandinavians, and France and they adopted Latin, Greek, French, and Scandinavian languages during occupation of their land.

55 BC - Rome colonized Britain (brought Latin).
450 AD – Germanic people invade Britain (brought German).
597 AD – Missionaries invade Britain (brought Greek and more Latin).
700 AD – Vikings colonized Britain (brought Scandinavian languages).
1066 AD – France colonized Britain (brought French).

Each time Britain was colonized, they were forced to speak the language of their captor just like every other imperial force would do. Again, in their times of captivity, Britain at various times, spoke Latin, Greek, Scandinavian languages, and French; depending on the occupying force.

Eventually, they got their independence, and from the early 1340's they found themselves in this type of discussion we're having here. Funny enough, educated people in Britain had this same argument you have here. This type of argument set them back for up to 300 years because they no longer had confidence in themselves!. It took such a long time because educated people (like you) in Britain then, those who spoke fluent Greek, German, French, Latin- the language of their captors, were making the same argument you are making now!!. The question on the lips of educated people in Britain sounded like ’’Now you suggest we renounce what we currently have (Greek, German, French, Latin) and go back to reconstruct ourselves from bottom up? Where do we start from? How do we compete with the fast pace of the ever evolving rest of the world?

The elites and highly educated scholars in Oxford and Cambridge University, who spoke fluent Greek, German, French, Latin, were also asking; ‘’where do we begin?’’

This hindered them for long from making progress in their own image and language.

Long story short, once Britain regained their common sense, they banned foreign languages in the entire British Isle and adopted their own native English as their official language.

In 1348, English replaced Latin as the medium of instruction in schools. But Oxford and Cambridge university scholars refused and continued to teach in Latin.

In 1362, English was used in the British Parliament for the first time. English also replaced French as the language of law.

In 1702, The first English-language newspaper, The Daily Courant was published in London.

English was later to became the language that could be used to do everything, including science, economics, technology, etc. And everything kept getting better and better for them as a nation since then because it was at that point that they liberated their minds and became the creators of the so called knowledge that you now enjoy but, ironically, demean your own language which is your heritage.

The problem you have is the same problem Oxford and Cambridge university scholars had. You've been so much intellectually enslaved that you no longer trust yourself in your own language!. The problem is not that our native languages can't be used to do all that English can do, the problem is that you've been trained to abdicate from your heritage and instead prefer English as authority. And you don't know it!.

Anambra state should go ahead and make Igbo language the official language in school. The priority given English should be given to Igbo instead. Its English that should be relegated to the back seat every Wednesday not Igbo.

Then I hope you are ready for the creation of a new “Igbo” Language that is barely recognisable to present igbos. What you are calling for is a decades-long evolution at the least. There would be so many borrowed English and French words in your language that by the time you’re done, you’d have a potpourri of foreign words forming your creole.

Or would you go ahead creating new vocabulary for things that already have globally recognised names? Would you go looking for words to name the different parts of a machine? Heck, you don’t even have names for the things like “space” and “orbit” and “observatory”. How long would that exercise take? How many of your kinsmen would even agree with your new terminologies?

The evolution of any language is birthed by necessity - the necessity to name something new. That’s why it is organic. That’s why the English didn’t bother to rename many borrowed words in their vocabulary. They adopted them and moved on. But with a language like yours that is not as developed, you would end up with yet another pidgin. It would water down your language. The very thing you do not want.

Your culture can be preserved without alienating yourself from the rest of world. Think. Why reinvent the wheel?

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by IamHonourable1: 8:40am On Feb 02, 2020
ArmaniUhuru:

They should ban your parents.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Emann1000(m): 8:50am On Feb 02, 2020
goodnessme1:
imagine singing praise song in yoruba language.na gwadangwa e go be.

Aswear cheesy
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by melodyogonna(m): 9:14am On Feb 02, 2020
At last.
I've said it time and time again, any teacher that will beat my child for speaking Igbo will have to explain to me whether English teachers beat their students for speaking English, nonsense and ingredients! sad

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by melodyogonna(m): 9:17am On Feb 02, 2020
tobstarizhia:
I am strongly against pidgin being spoken in school, or anything different from the language that is taught. Like it or not, Nigeria is a multicultural entity, and as such we need a unifying lingua franca to better understand one another. Hence English. It annoys me when I see people speaking the English poorly. middle class citizens mind you, not necessarily the poor. Pidgin or vernacular is a poor man's language, and the sooner we stop representing that in all our media the better. Improving our mother tongue is also commendable. nothing wrong in that. In a class room setting where English is the language that is being taught, any other language should not be tolerated.
My Igbo language is a language for the poor? Sense is far from you.

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by alphaNomega: 9:37am On Feb 02, 2020
masterP042:
Why our people like foreign things too much to the detriment of their identity is what I don't understand.

Was speaking with one the other day she called our language "vernacular". Wetin pain me pass be say even the English she no sabi, oya pidgin sef, the worse, nonsense. I don't blame them, na low esteem dey do them.

Especially all these lagos brought up, they hardly speak our language, they even prefer yoruba. Igbos are fast losing their identity.

Our ancestors spoke Igbo for eons and it got them nowhere. The people speaking foreign languages were able to develop, advance and explore. I would gladly ditch Nigerian local languages for popular foreign ones.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by MrEDUCATION(m): 9:43am On Feb 02, 2020
gaetano:
It annoys me when teachers say no speaking of vernacular in class, as in ehn, our own language o. We should kill our mother tongue just because of one foreign language called English. My name enter list of noise makers because of my own language angry

Seriously oooo...... I'm a student in UI which is majorly dominated by Yoruba people.

In our English classes, some science classes and even in our French class, the lecturers speak and explain somethings in Yoruba!!!.......At most, they will speak in Yoruba and then translate it for us who don't understand!!!

I envy them seriously. The Yoruba people don't joke with their mother tongue!

I wish that the Igbo speaking days should also include Mondays and Fridays.

If you don't understand, try speaking Igbo or communicating with people in Igbo language without adding a single English for just 3 hours! grin

2 Likes

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 9:57am On Feb 02, 2020
bigfrancis21:

Seconded.

Thirded
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by Nobody: 10:07am On Feb 02, 2020
@AfroKnight
It is okay to delearn/ unlearn and learn/relearn
That’s what being intelligent entails
@ musicwriter and bigfrancis are right, but the truth is not always popular
Mainstream thinking, the bane of our culture. And we keep glorying in and glorifying our languages of subjugation -English, Arabic, French, etc
Go through @musicwriter’s posts and read “intellectual slavery, the worst legacy of colonisation”
I believe you would be a strong force for the Igbo cause, if you would channel your energy in the right direction

(One never knows how much their native language means to them until they get to live in a white man’s land and realise how much their blood and culture (including language) do
And oh yes, I used to glory in the Inglis too, but not anymore)
Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by cheruv: 11:34am On Feb 02, 2020
masterP042:

I na·atụfụrụ nde efulefu ahụ juru eko ọnụ? undecided

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by MERCHANDISER: 12:25pm On Feb 02, 2020
MrEDUCATION:

Seriously oooo...... I'm a student in UI which is majorly dominated by Yoruba people.

In our English classes, some science classes and even in our French class, the lecturers speak and explain somethings in Yoruba!!!.......At most, they will speak in Yoruba and then translate it for us who don't understand!!!

I envy them seriously. The Yoruba people don't joke with their mother tongue!

I wish that the Igbo speaking days should also include Mondays and Fridays.

If you don't understand, try speaking Igbo or communicating with people in Igbo language without adding a single English for just 3 hours! grin
I'm Igbo,i can speak igbo without a single English for hours.I have stayed in Yoruba land(Lagos) for a good number of years,i cant even utter a word in yoruba apart from"owa" cheesy maybe because i enter public transport most times

1 Like

Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by MrEDUCATION(m): 1:45pm On Feb 02, 2020
MERCHANDISER:
I'm Igbo,i can speak igbo without a single English for hours.I have stayed in Yoruba land(Lagos) for a good number of years,i cant even utter a word in yoruba apart from"owa" cheesy maybe because i enter public transport most times

Hmmmm....

You are a rare gem in Igbo land. Many people can't do it especially in this present generation. I mostly find it among old men and women or those who lived in the villages for a long time.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by PHijo(m): 2:22pm On Feb 02, 2020
Tayeni:
We overreach sometimes when we want to force ourselves to export to nations that are at advantage over us. What we should start with is producing just 60% of what we import. That's why I am for the border closure and import substitution wherever possible.

I know a few Nigerians are creative and coming up with products.... but the business environment is still tough and those products wont come cheap. It's a no-brainer.

I don't support border closure but I agree with you, import substitution should be the focus for the short to mid term plan and not exports.
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:25pm On Feb 02, 2020
Brandonx:
If you want to speak igbo go to your parents.
Exactly!
Re: Anambra To Punish Teachers Flogging Pupils For Speaking Igbo by edoairways: 2:28pm On Feb 02, 2020
tobstarizhia:
Pidgin language is for the poor ? . Instead of advocating for an African language you are supporting English as a lingual franca?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

My Encounter With A Randy Lecturer / 37 Kano Nursing Students In Egypt Will Return Home Over Poor Performance / Tuition Fee Hike: OSPOLY Reveals Next Move As Students Refuse To Pay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.