Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (154) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (612479 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 10:42pm On Sep 20, 2020
RabbiDoracle:

Sheer luck? Hmmm...

Hope you know people do research to find the directions prices will take? The researches are backtested and fine-tuned to match other asset classes.

So Renaissance Technologies strategy is sheer luck?

Have you heard of Chaos Theory before? grin grin

Let me simplify it for you. When protesters move on the road, they usually move in a haphazard form if you are viewing them on the ground. However, if you are viewing with a Drone, you tend to see a pattern of straight lines or huge circle formed my large mass of people.

Price movement can be haphazard at first glance, randomized or chaotic to some. But a careful look at it will show you a tradable pattern which gives some smart money managers good gains.

Stock investing has evolved. No longer like what we knew in the past.

There is a big difference between the Ed Seykotas and Jim Simons (Renaissance Technologies) of this world and the vast majority of investors.

It's one thing for a group of MIT maths PhDs to find patterns, the rest of us can't find tradable patterns even if we spent our whole lives looking for it.

Be also aware that the human mind is inclined to find patterns even where there are none. This is how our mind imposes a sense of order, it's a type of heuristic we deploy. There was a great book by Nicholas Taleb called Fooled by Randomness which highlights all this. It is mathematically probable that given millions of people trading/investing, some are going to enjoy wild success just down to randomness.

My take is that randomness explains a lot of our (ordinary investors) success in bull markets. I pointed out some time ago that if you closed your eyes and randomly selected stocks out of a list of SP500 stocks since March, the vast majority would bag you profits. The problem is obviously that over a long timeframe, you are likely to underperform the indexes.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dgitrader(m): 11:48pm On Sep 20, 2020
RabbiDoracle:

Sheer luck? Hmmm...

Hope you know people smart managers do research to find the directions prices will take? The researches are backtested and fine-tuned to match other asset classes.

So Renaissance Technologies strategy is sheer luck?

Have you heard of Chaos Theory before? grin grin

Let me simplify it for you. When protesters move on the road, they usually move in a haphazard form if you are viewing them on the ground. However, if you are viewing with a Drone, you tend to see a pattern of straight lines or huge circle formed my large mass of people.

Price movement can be haphazard at first glance, randomized or chaotic to some. But a careful look at it will show you a tradable pattern which gives some few smart money managers good gains.

Stock investing has evolved. No longer like what we knew in the past.

Unfortunately, 95% of 'traders' or market participants never measure into the bolded above.
And if that is a fact, kindly note the fact that making money in a bull run(for most traders), is sheer luck as the study stated. And such lucky monies are usually eroded in the long run. 4play is right in my opinion.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dgitrader(m): 11:52pm On Sep 20, 2020
4Play:

I pointed out some time ago that if you closed your eyes and randomly selected stocks out of a list of SP500 stocks since March, the vast majority would bag you profits[b]. The problem is obviously that over a long timeframe, you are likely to underperform the indexes.[/b]

That is the summary of it all.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by chunkuli: 12:23am On Sep 21, 2020
rabbi okay we hear you . pls do remember to alert us when its about to recover
RabbiDoracle:

You know me na. I will reposition on time and catch on the goodies.

Market structure that was broken since September 3rd 2020. grin grin

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 8:58am On Sep 21, 2020
An update into the Nikola fraud investigations:

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by BullBearMkt(m): 9:10am On Sep 21, 2020
Allete Inc. Stock Price Is Strengthening
Another stock coming on my radar this week is ALE. ALE is in Utilities sector and conventional electricity industry. The price is beginning to strengthening and might be good for a swing trade provided:

1. Price violates the Swing High @ 55.48
2. Price Pullback to test 55.48 - 54.70

Target price will be between 57 & 61.

PLAN YOUR TRADES AND TRADE YOUR PLANS
grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by NIKEDEEDS(m): 9:43am On Sep 21, 2020
SAVA

There been a lot of insider trading on the stock as @ October 17, 2020.

Any news?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by IYGEAL(m): 9:51am On Sep 21, 2020
OakPearl:

Amongst your 2 options, I use T212.
No idea about Choice Trade.

The one you use, what's their charges like?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 12:17pm On Sep 21, 2020
Keinding:

Hey!
Though your question was for others to answer, let me add a few pointers fundamentally...
In the EV space and indeed the broader start up scene, three things to note:

1) proof of concept: On this Nikola fails. There's no proof that shows this product in reality. All talk here is future tense. It's hard for investors to be swayed by something that is simply design aesthetic. At least we see tesla with the roadster,cybertruk etc
We see Hyllion with a proof of concept that actually works.

2) Scalability: Nikola has not shown any roadmap on how they intend to scale their trucks. How fast can they scale orders of thousands when such are demanded? Where's the factory? What is existing currently? How can they react to demand and supply?

3) Good management: As we all know, mgt can make or mar your investment and that is why investors take time to buy into the person behind the product before they buy into the product or company itself(e.g take a look at the board of Hyllion, then you have Elon Musk for Tesla)
I'm not convinced Trevor is the right person to take this company to the moon as his actions and utterances leave much to be desired.

Their last earnings shows profit of $36k for a car company and wait for it, the profit was from something not related to car sales!

I still maintain it's a speculative play at best and I have no interest in buying based on the above pointers.

Invest wisely!!

This is a good concise analysis of Nikola. It's something we should do more of - weigh the pros and cons of each company.

I am still swayed by the deal they did with GM and you will think GM had done their due diligence on Nikola. But I don't know much about the deal so it might not say much about Nikola's credibility.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by SpartanKing: 1:34pm On Sep 21, 2020
OakPearl:
Good evening and happy new year to you all.
After months of ruminating over this idea, I am glad to manage the time to create a tread like this.
This tread is to further open Nigerians and foreigners alike who have the same passion of wealth creation via investing in the United States stock markets.
As you may know, the market in the US is mirrored by the indices such as the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA), The Standard & Purse (S&P) and the NASDAQ.
The whole essence is to have a pool of both inexperienced but interested would-be investors, and experienced resource persons who are willing to give back to the society by making informed analysis and opinions on the developments in the world markets and how members of this forum can make informed investment decisions accordingly.
I have tasted a bit of this market and can confirm that the world is a global village and that anyone can trade in the US market and make real US dollars from profits made.
For instance, I took a good look at the newly listed company called Virgin Galactic with thicker symbol (SPCE) and bought some shares at $8.20 on the 9th of December 2019. After watching it for a while and doing some more due diligence, I bought much more on the 10th of December 2019 at $9.23 as it kept rising.
As I type this piece to create this tread today the 4th of February 2020, it is trading at $19.56 per share! And am not a genius.

Gentle men and ladies, we can make a lot of money if we pool our wealth of knowledge and turn it into tangible financial cash cow.
This is not a get rich quick scheme, never a ponzi scheme, neither is this intended for any sort of internet fraud.
Wealth requires hard work (mental and intellectual) mixed with a good dose of patience.
I believe we are very many out there looking for legitimate source of building wealth.
This is just one more avenue we can utilize to team up together to accelerate our financial freedom.
Knowledge they say is power, but until acquired knowledge is applied, there can never be power.

Therefore I humbly declare this forum open to all chartists, fundamentalists, and freshers alike.
Lets keep it simple, no fighting or bullying grin, be of matured conduct, engage intelligently, add some humour, have lots of fun and of course make money together in the process.
Wow...the Dow has already jumped 500 points today shocked, rebounding from the slide caused by the coronavirus in China!
Let me see how this reflects on my portfolio. grin grin grin

Cc:
toluway
obagadaffi
Quant
Yeryer
zPixel
kafeii123
ifeykay
nonfarmpayrol
zamirikpo
lexicot
brandable
I prefer the microcaps or penny stocks. companies whose share prices are below $1. They're quoted on the OTC, OTCBB ,and the PINK SHEET exchanges. Not NASDQ, NYSEThe profits potentials are so amazing, so also are the risks inherent! Well, that was pre-Covid-19. Now, I'm monitoring Bitcoin: the booms snd bursts!

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by yok: 2:05pm On Sep 21, 2020
OUR PORTFOLIO CONSTRUCTION IS VERY IMPORTANT
It is a fact that market has been going down for the past 3 weeks. However, if we are diversified in our portfolio we may nor feel the bearish effect much. Looking at the bearish expectation of the market, I just look at the premarket prices, but some of our recent picks have shown some level of optimism again like (VBIV) and other Covid'19 related stocks. We need to know our game well or else we will get killed by unnecessary fear.

For the current week, we are picking TWI (Titan Industries), main reason is that fact that the company will likely benefit from the next stimulus package and is close to a breakout level/strong uptrend. [/b]On a general note [b]Tesla, company is in so many good businesses that are likely to spring surprises on the positive side is likely to be a good stock if we look to buy on hitting support level, we can buy part like 0.10 units, less than $50.

On the dividend yield side DHT will always have our vote anytime, when I look at the staff strength of this company I always wonder if the figure of under 10 staff can be true for a profitable business like this, I will seek to investigate further.

Caution: This is for information purpose only. Data used are assumed to be correct. However, you may want to verify the data from an appropriate source. Also, Institutions can afford to suffer big losses without going burst compared with an individual, you cannot follow them blindly (you need to at least have some knowledge/your own plan). This document remains the personal property of Target technical analysis https://twitter.com/AnalysisTarget

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 4:04pm On Sep 21, 2020
Nikola ceo has apparently been arrested

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dyonpoint: 6:38pm On Sep 21, 2020
Good evening guys. Nice to be here. I am registering on Trading 212 but it's asking for Tax ID, how do I get pass it because I do not have it.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Cara12(f): 11:05pm On Sep 21, 2020
dyonpoint:
Good evening guys. Nice to be here. I am registering on Trading 212 but it's asking for Tax ID, how do I get pass it because I do not have it.

Just type in 'not legally required'.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 1:16am On Sep 22, 2020
When analysing a stock before investing, one doesn't only have to consider past. The current and potential future earnings of a coy must be factored during analysis to grasp a full picture. From your statement, a stock like $PEIX which had negative EPS and only made it's first profit in last 3years in 2Q20 should be trading below $1 and not at over $7 (i.e. more than 600% gain in last 3months from about $0.3 that it traded back then). $PEIX turnaround and enhanced profitability came from its Mgt's decision to focus more in production of industrial grade alcohol to satisfy the demand of sanitizers market, rather than their less profitable core business of ethanol production.

While penny stocks are very risky, if one invests in the right one with huge daily traded volumes, after carrying out the required DD, it is possible to make a kill. Besides, some of the current large cap stocks started out as penny stocks and grew over the years to the price their current price.

Company's may have negative EPS and low revenue due to either initial huge investments in research & testing or investments in the turnaround of their business and this doesn't mean they will not become profitable in future after few Quarters of low/poor earnings. A particular case is WAPCO in the NSE that has bounced back stronger after restructuring and selling off the SA business. WAPCO has gradually started rewarding the patient investors who decided to accept the existing risks at that time and bought when the coy's profitability and EPS went south.

RabbiDoracle:

Don't you do analysis before you buy stocks? Low revenue, negative EPS.

You are buying a stock that will decline to 20 - 25 cents in some month's time. This is almost 90% loss of capital.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 7:34am On Sep 22, 2020
Jayjaycee18:
When analysing a stock before investing, one doesn't only have to consider past. The current and potential future earnings of a coy must be factored during analysis to grasp a full picture. From your statement, a stock like $PEIX which had negative EPS and only made it's first profit in last 3years in 2Q20 should be trading below $1 and not at over $7 (i.e. more than 600% gain in last 3months from about $0.3 that it traded back then). $PEIX turnaround and enhanced profitability came from its Mgt's decision to focus more in production of industrial grade alcohol to satisfy the demand of sanitizers market, rather than their less profitable core business of ethanol production.

While penny stocks are very risky, if one invests in the right one with huge daily traded volumes, after carrying out the required DD, it is possible to make a kill. Besides, some of the current large cap stocks started out as penny stocks and grew over the years to the price their current price.

Company's may have negative EPS and low revenue due to either initial huge investments in research & testing or investments in the turnaround of their business and this doesn't mean they will not become profitable in future after few Quarters of low/poor earnings. A particular case is WAPCO in the NSE that has bounced back stronger after restructuring and selling off the SA business. WAPCO has gradually started rewarding the patient investors who decided to accept the existing risks at that time and bought when the coy's profitability and EPS went south.

Please don't use examples from NSE to buttress your arguments in US stock exchange. It's like using using a mango to check if an orange is sweet

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by afroxyz: 8:02am On Sep 22, 2020
yok:
OUR PORTFOLIO CONSTRUCTION IS VERY IMPORTANT
It is a fact that market has been going down for the past 3 weeks. However, if we are diversified in our portfolio we may nor feel the bearish effect much. Looking at the bearish expectation of the market, I just look at the premarket prices, but some of our recent picks have shown some level of optimism again like (VBIV) and other Covid'19 related stocks. We need to know our game well or else we will get killed by unnecessary fear.

For the current week, we are picking TWI (Titan Industries), main reason is that fact that the company will likely benefit from the next stimulus package and is close to a breakout level/strong uptrend.

What stimulus check are you implying? The one that both parties have been dilly dallying about since July? Though the stock is enjoying an uptrend, there are still areas of concern. TWO has not made a profit in the last 4 quarters. Has a huge debt, and would operate on full capacity till the pandemic is over However, DHT looks good.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 8:24am On Sep 22, 2020
Yeah. I understand your point and that's why I gave two examples. One from the US stock exchange ($PEIX) and the other from the NSE (WAPCO).

afroxyz:

Please don't use examples from NSE to buttress your arguments in US stock exchange. It's like using using a mango to check if an orange is sweet
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by BullBearMkt(m): 8:41am On Sep 22, 2020
Hot News: FLGT to join S&P SmallCap 600!!!!
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by paroh137(m): 10:05am On Sep 22, 2020
People of God. Can come one kindly explain to me how dividends work, or point me out to a reliable reading material? Also how can I buy these dividends? What platform?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by conyema12(m): 10:05am On Sep 22, 2020
Please How do I enable my GTB dollar mastercard on Trading212 ... My card was declined in trying to fund my account.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by karferguso(m): 10:10am On Sep 22, 2020
conyema12:
Please How do I enable my GTB dollar mastercard on Trading212 ... My card was declined in trying to fund my account.
You have to go through GooglePay. You deposit using desktop browser on phone/PC.
Select the GooglePay option and then add your card.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ACAN(m): 11:38am On Sep 22, 2020
INVESTDATA INVESTORS SUMMIT 2020: BEYOND THE UNCERTAIN TIMES

Theme- Life Beyond COVID: Investment Opportunities in Various Assets Classes

Sub-Topics

* Life Beyond the Pandemic: Personal Financial Planning, Investment and Trading Strategies in a Low Yield Environment (AlhajiGarbaKurfi, MD/CEO, APT Securities & Funds Ltd)
* How to Buy and Sell Stocks Profitably in Recession, Recovery and Boom (Mr Abdul-Rasheed Momoh, Head, Capital Market Trw Stockbrokers Ltd)
* Economic Recovery Scenarios, What’s the Fate of Equities and Other Assets Classes (MrOluwasegunAkinwale, Lead Analyst, Nova Merchant Bank)
* The Paradox of Declining Interest Rate and Rising Inflation: Confusion or New Realities for Investors (Mr. AbiolaRasaq, CSCS)
* The New Thinking in Fixed Income Market: Today and Tomorrow (Mr. KayodeTinuoye, Portfolio Manager, United Capital Asset Management)
* Outlook for Alternative Asset Classes: Where are the ETFs, Commodities, REITS and Real Estate Opportunities (MrTaiwo Yusuf Head, Wealth Management, Meristem)
* Portfolio Restructuring and Rebalancing for Positive Returns Ahead of Market Rebound (Engr. EkwuemeMike MD, X-Front Traders ltd
* The Power of Earnings Quality, Value and Dividends in Equity Investment (Mr. Ambrose Omordion CRO Investdata Consulting Ltd)
* The Summit will provide answers to these Seven question among others

* Where exactly are the opportunities in the equity market, fixed income and others?
* Which sectors or markets provide the post COVID-19 investment opportunities?
* How investors and traders can take advantage of the low interest regime to build profitable portfolios
* What are the prevailing market moves and who are the dominant players?
* What are Smart Money and Retail investors doing?
* Where should investors look to enter the market or exit?
* Is it the same every day, season and year?

Date: September 26, 2020

VENUE: ZOOM

For more details, call 08028164085, 08032055467, 08111811223 now.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dyonpoint: 12:41pm On Sep 22, 2020
Cara12:

Just type in 'not legally required'.

Thanks.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 2:55pm On Sep 22, 2020
This is why it's hard to trade stocks, had an inkling something was brewing with GameStop but wasn't entirely persuaded.

(Bloomberg) -- Ryan Cohen, the entrepreneur who built Chewy.com into a pet-supply giant and sold it for more than $3 billion, is now pitching GameStop Corp. on a lofty goal: becoming a true competitor to Amazon.com Inc., according to a person familiar with the matter.

The video-game retailer’s shares jumped as much as 28% in premarket trading Tuesday, after Bloomberg News reported Cohen’s plans late Monday.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/top-gamestop-investor-wants-turn-232245844.html

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by conyema12(m): 6:48pm On Sep 22, 2020
karferguso:

You have to go through GooglePay. You deposit using desktop browser on phone/PC.
Select the GooglePay option and then add your card.

Wow... very easy... Thanks... let me buy my first stock
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by InaNla(f): 7:00pm On Sep 22, 2020
Bosses in the house what is moving the stock prices up....?

Was thinking we should expect more sell-off?

Please help with comment(s)

Thank you.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Hedgefunds: 7:48pm On Sep 22, 2020
conyema12:

Has anyone tried depositing with a Naira Card on GPay? Or must i Open a Usd domi acct before i can use Gpay?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Tobex4realTobex234(m): 9:16pm On Sep 22, 2020
Hedgefunds:

Has anyone tried depositing with a Naira Card on GPay? Or must i Open a Usd domi acct before i can use Gpay?

Just use a USD card or make a deposit to their account via wire transfers. Most Nigerian banks now have <$100 monthly limit on their cards.

Assuming any bank even exists that allow you do higher limits, T212 only allows you withdraw via the payment method you had used to fund.

So you will on a very huge loss if they send USD back to your naira card @360 or less, when they must have charged you 400+ to fund.

Dead the idea of using a naira card. If you want to really go long term on this thing, just get a USD card and account.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ViVaMadrid: 9:37pm On Sep 22, 2020
Tobex4realTobex234:

Just use a USD card or make a deposit to their account via wire transfers. Most Nigerian banks now have <$100 monthly limit on their cards.

Assuming any bank even exists that allow you do higher limits, T212 only allows you withdraw via the payment method you had used to fund.

So you will on a very huge loss if they send USD back to your naira card @360 or less, when they must have charged you 400+ to fund.

Dead the idea of using a naira card. If you want to really go long term on this thing, just get a USD card and account.

I think some persons on this thread were using naira debit cards on T212 before
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by otomatic(m): 9:46pm On Sep 22, 2020
Anybody following Tesla battery day event happening live?
https://livestream.tesla.com/
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by BullBearMkt(m): 2:02am On Sep 23, 2020
InaNla:
Bosses in the house what is moving the stock prices up....?

Was thinking we should expect more sell-off?

Please help with comment(s)

Thank you.
...such move is expected during corrections. We'll have buying/selling pressure until there is a major trend
grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) (157) ... (431) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.