Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,353 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (210) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (612163 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Predstan: 8:11pm On Jan 02, 2021
DodgeCoin is 80% up today...

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jayjaycee18: 11:00pm On Jan 02, 2021
Happy New Year all. May 2021 bring more "greens" to our portfolios.
In other news, Tesla just released its 4Q2020 vehicle production and deliveries report showing that it delivered 499,550 vehicles during 2020. This number is above Wall Street estimates of 481,261 vehicles, but 450 units below Tesla CEO's (Elon Musk's) target for 2020.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by hopefulsoul1: 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2021
Hello everyone.

Pls I cant find the gpay option on my trading 212 anymore as I used to use gpay to fund my account and my naira Mastercard was rejected when I tried debit card option.
Is it the same with everyone else. How can I fund my account now.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by wheenie(f): 9:24pm On Jan 03, 2021
jajeri3216:
do your own dd.

Thanks so much

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 1kinggy(m): 10:16pm On Jan 03, 2021
hopefulsoul1:
Hello everyone.

Pls I cant find the gpay option on my trading 212 anymore as I used to use gpay to fund my account and my naira Mastercard was rejected when I tried debit card option.
Is it the same with everyone else. How can I fund my account now.

Try using a computer. It doesn't show on mobiles.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by hopefulsoul1: 10:44pm On Jan 03, 2021
1kinggy:

Try using a computer. It doesn't show on mobiles.

God bless you. This worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jameselias: 10:50pm On Jan 03, 2021
pls is it adviceble to trade cfd is any one into it here

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Nobody: 4:32am On Jan 04, 2021
An advise from the web.

Many expats, Americans and non-Americans, want to gain access to the US Stock Markets whilst reducing tax risks.

The answer to your question depends on if you are American or non-American.

If you are non-American it is best to get access to US Markets with funds domiciled outside the US.

For example, regardless of whether you are a DIY investor or going through an advisor, it is best to invest in a non-US platform (say Swissquote, Saxo or whatever) rather than a US platform (Interactive Brokers, eToro as an example).

That is because there is always the small risk of US estate taxes, and other problems, even if the W8-Ben form is signed.

Second, it is best to buy the S&P500 domiciled on the London Stock Exchange, or indeed another stock exchange like Ireland, rather than on the NYSE.

People forget this basic fact. These days, you can buy the S&P500 ETF fund, in both Pounds and USD, on the London Stock exchanges and other exchanges.

Vanguard, BlackRock and iShares have all created USD products held outside the US, because they know about the estate and other potential taxes non-Americans could face. The fees and performance will be identical.

So by using a non-US broker, and investing in index funds or ETFs which are tracking the US Markets but are domiciled in Canada, the UK or Ireland, you can avoid the US tax web entirely.

Not just avoid it, but avoid many risks in the process. It is harder to do it this way if you want to buy individual shares rather than the whole market though.

If you are American, on the other hand, it can make a lot of sense to invest with a US-domiciled company that holds the money in America.

It is also essential that:

People have a portable solution. If you are living in country A, and then you move to country B, it is important that the brokerage won’t close down your account. I will give you a simple example. I have a friend who opened up an account with the Dutch broker Derigo. He should have invested with a platform that is domiciled in a more tax-efficient country, such as Swissquote, but that is another issue (capital gains taxes and so on). What really hit him was he moved from an EU country to Asia. They closes down his account as they can only accept for 18 European countries. So that meant he had to sell his positions, go through hassles to open up another account and pay capital gains taxes. So going with a platform that can accept for at least 170–180 of the world’s 190+ countries is important. As an expat, you could be moved almost anywhere in some industries.
As per the point made above, having a portable account domiciled in a country which doesn’t charge capital gains tax is important. Simple example. If you are an expat living in Saudi Arabia or the UAE (no capital gains tax) or somewhere like Singapore (no overseas income or capital gains taxes), you can pay 0% capital gains tax if you domicile your accounts with a broker based in a 0% capital gains country. This doesn’t apply to people from countries that tax by citizenship, like the US or Eritrea, but does apply to most nationalities.
So the bottom line is, with a little bit of planning, people can avoid tax risks associated with gaining exposure to the US markets as an expat.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by passfolio: 10:14am On Jan 04, 2021
Hi Everyone,

I'm back smiley I was temporarily blocked and one of my posts deleted so I am reposting along with some more info:

1. passfolioapp.com is our old domain and still listed in some places we are working on updating it everywhere.

2. The instant withdrawal problem has been fixed and any pending ones were processed and should be much faster in the future. Instant withdrawals from the crypto wallet process 24x7. Instant withdrawals from the stock wallet only process between 11:00 and 19:30 WAT Monday through Friday (excluding US market holidays) - if you request a withdrawal outside that window it will process during the next open window.

3. Debit/Credit card deposits - we are working on this and hope to launch it soon. We have to get our compliance team to approve it which we're working on.

4. Performance Calculations - we recently changed the algorithm to use Time Weighted Rate of Return (TWR - https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/time-weightedror.asp) because it more accurately reflects your actual investment performance and added in crypto performance so these numbers may have changed a lot. Previously we used a simple profit/loss calculation and it was stocks only. We are aware of a few bugs we are fixing such as the total and daily return does not sum exactly to the total and daily return of the individual assets. One problem is crypto trading is 24x7 and stock is not so we need to align the time windows in the calculations. Also a note with TWR is that it is possible to have a positive dollar return but negative percent or vice versa and it is correct - see https://www.marottaonmoney.com/why-do-i-have-a-positive-return-with-a-negative-gain/.

5. We learned that the problem with one of the withdrawals was that the Nigerian bank is rejecting it. I'm told most Nigerian savings accounts have a limit of N20,000 or N50,000 per transfer and to increase it you must give instruction and execute indemnity at any of the bankʼs business offices for higher limits. If we run into this problem we will contact you and let you know. Once you fix it we will then process the withdrawal.

Sincerely,
David Gobaud
Passfolio CEO & Founder

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Kiddyong123ayo(m): 11:11am On Jan 04, 2021
I am a newbie at this stock market, I have been trying to open a trading account with Bamboo, but it's been showing, Server Error and Timeout since morning. Help me out please

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by SchoolPedia: 11:24am On Jan 04, 2021
Kiddyong123ayo:
I am a newbie at this stock market, I have been trying to open a trading account with Bamboo, but it's been showing, Server Error and Timeout since morning. Help me out please

Try again later. Could be network glitch.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by tot(f): 11:25am On Jan 04, 2021
Leggitsam, that was such a useful read, thanks for sharing. Also, depending on which country people find themselves, they should explore the most tax efficient vehicles. The UK for example has the ISA which is free of all income and capital gains tax.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Jotrade: 12:37pm On Jan 04, 2021
Earnings for the week

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dgitrader(m): 1:36pm On Jan 04, 2021
Leggitsam:
An advise from the web.

Many expats, Americans and non-Americans, want to gain access to the US Stock Markets whilst reducing tax risks.

The answer to your question depends on if you are American or non-American.

If you are non-American it is best to get access to US Markets with funds domiciled outside the US.

For example, regardless of whether you are a DIY investor or going through an advisor, it is best to invest in a non-US platform (say Swissquote, Saxo or whatever) rather than a US platform (Interactive Brokers, eToro as an example).

That is because there is always the small risk of US estate taxes, and other problems, even if the W8-Ben form is signed.

Second, it is best to buy the S&P500 domiciled on the London Stock Exchange, or indeed another stock exchange like Ireland, rather than on the NYSE.

People forget this basic fact. These days, you can buy the S&P500 ETF fund, in both Pounds and USD, on the London Stock exchanges and other exchanges.

Vanguard, BlackRock and iShares have all created USD products held outside the US, because they know about the estate and other potential taxes non-Americans could face. The fees and performance will be identical.

So by using a non-US broker, and investing in index funds or ETFs which are tracking the US Markets but are domiciled in Canada, the UK or Ireland, you can avoid the US tax web entirely.

Not just avoid it, but avoid many risks in the process. It is harder to do it this way if you want to buy individual shares rather than the whole market though.

If you are American, on the other hand, it can make a lot of sense to invest with a US-domiciled company that holds the money in America.

It is also essential that:

People have a portable solution. If you are living in country A, and then you move to country B, it is important that the brokerage won’t close down your account. I will give you a simple example. I have a friend who opened up an account with the Dutch broker Derigo. He should have invested with a platform that is domiciled in a more tax-efficient country, such as Swissquote, but that is another issue (capital gains taxes and so on). What really hit him was he moved from an EU country to Asia. They closes down his account as they can only accept for 18 European countries. So that meant he had to sell his positions, go through hassles to open up another account and pay capital gains taxes. So going with a platform that can accept for at least 170–180 of the world’s 190+ countries is important. As an expat, you could be moved almost anywhere in some industries.
As per the point made above, having a portable account domiciled in a country which doesn’t charge capital gains tax is important. Simple example. If you are an expat living in Saudi Arabia or the UAE (no capital gains tax) or somewhere like Singapore (no overseas income or capital gains taxes), you can pay 0% capital gains tax if you domicile your accounts with a broker based in a 0% capital gains country. This doesn’t apply to people from countries that tax by citizenship, like the US or Eritrea, but does apply to most nationalities.
So the bottom line is, with a little bit of planning, people can avoid tax risks associated with gaining exposure to the US markets as an expat.

this is deep!

75% of my portfolio are based on numerous ETFs, so i appreciate this insight, can you provide the link? thanks

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Olayinka05: 2:26pm On Jan 04, 2021
Hello everyone, I’ve been following this thread since December and I’m pumped to start trading stocks. I’ve signed up with Trove and Trading212.

So I’m looking to start with small investment Amount so I can get to understudy the Market and also grow my investment portfolio.

Should I consider growth or value stocks and What companies should I can consider starting with?

Thanks!!

@oakpearl

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by benedictuyi(m): 5:41pm On Jan 04, 2021
Olayinka05:
Hello everyone, I’ve been following this thread since December and I’m pumped to start trading stocks. I’ve signed up with Trove and Trading212.

So I’m looking to start with small investment Amount so I can get to understudy the Market and also grow my investment portfolio.

Should I consider growth or value stocks and What companies should I can consider starting with?

Thanks!!

@oakpearl

If you consider using the motley fool, you can pm me let's get a subscription together

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dgitrader(m): 6:31pm On Jan 04, 2021
benedictuyi:

If you consider using the motley fool, you can pm me let's get a subscription together

motley fool is the best stock advisor service no doubt, but note that its best for midterm investing, a minimum of 3 years holding. and be ready to own as much as 20 stocks while continually adding to you positions as they usually advice same stocks over time.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by benedictuyi(m): 7:22pm On Jan 04, 2021
dgitrader:

motley fool is the best stock advisor service no doubt, but note that its best for midterm investing, a minimum of 3 years holding. and be ready to own as much as 20 stocks while continually adding to you positions as they usually advice same stocks over time.
That's what I plan on doing

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dgitrader(m): 7:34pm On Jan 04, 2021
benedictuyi:

That's what I plan on doing

that is Nice, you can use ur email to signup as newsletter free member, then occasionally check ur spam/inbox for promo discount. this way you may get a flash discount for as much as 65% discounted. happy investing!

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Homextras: 12:14am On Jan 05, 2021
Who else noticed BNGO today, up 130%...crazy

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 10:19am On Jan 05, 2021
A very happy new year to all our wealth creators in this family.

It is looking fantastic in 2021 as far as reward for our efforts this year is concerned.

Congratulations to everyone for the strides you have made so far.

Some of us must have made up our minds what strategies beat suits our temperaments.

You may prefer long term investing, medium term, swing trading or day trading, or even a combination of 2 or more of these strategies, but be rest assured, as we continue to build knowledge and keep growing, we will all be armed to serve the purpose of all as much as we can.

Some sectors are looking like its the year for them already. We will get to the bottom of the facts and come up with hopefully the best options.

One thing I know is that this year will produce another Tesla, Overstock and NIO kind of profit to our portfolio God willing. All we need is the patience to find and keep them.

Welcome once again to a year of fulfilment in the market.

20 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Skyfly007: 10:37am On Jan 05, 2021
OakPearl:
A very happy new year to all our wealth creators in this family.

It is looking fantastic in 2021 as far as reward for our efforts this year is concerned.

Congratulations to everyone for the strides you have made so far.

Some of us must have made up our minds what strategies beat suits our temperaments.

You may prefer long term investing, medium term, swing trading or day trading, or even a combination of 2 or more of these strategies, but be rest assured, as we continue to build knowledge and keep growing, we will all be armed to serve the purpose of all as much as we can.

Some sectors are looking like its the year for them already. We will get to the bottom of the facts and come up with hopefully the best options.

One thing I know is that this year will produce another Tesla, Overstock and NIO kind of profit to our portfolio God willing. All we need is the patience to find and keep them.

Welcome once again to a year of fulfilment in the market.
Happy new year..I have missed your stock picks smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by benedictuyi(m): 11:28am On Jan 05, 2021
Moderators: dominique, mukina2 kindly unblock passfolio

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dominique(f): 12:15pm On Jan 05, 2021
benedictuyi:
Moderators: domini.que, mukina.2 kindly unblock passfolio

Unbanned alongside Dgitrader and Jayjaycee18

5 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 1:56pm On Jan 05, 2021
dominique:

Unbanned alongside Dgitrader and Jayjaycee18

Please check your system, it keeps banning me and others at random.
Latest ban was my new year post to forum members here.
Members are already thinking of alternative means of communication with the incessant bans.
Ban got lifted only yesterday.
I have stopped complaining.

What we do here is very time dependent.
We need your urgent resolution on this matter please.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 1:58pm On Jan 05, 2021
Skyfly007:
Happy new year..I have missed your stock picks smiley

Same to you bro.
Most of my absence were occasioned by bans placed by the system even when no one was in copy of my post.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by dominique(f): 2:33pm On Jan 05, 2021
OakPearl:

Please check your system, it keeps banning me and others at random.
Latest ban was my new year post to forum members here.
Members are already thinking of alternative means of communication with the incessant bans.
Ban got lifted only yesterday.
I have stopped complaining.

What we do here is very time dependent.
We need your urgent resolution on this matter please.

Sorry about that. I saw the ban a little too late and I've unblocked your post. Next time send a mail to the moderators, you'd get swiftly unbanned

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by InaNla(f): 3:01pm On Jan 05, 2021
dominique:

Sorry about that. I saw the ban a little too late and I've unblocked your post. Next time send a mail to the moderators, you'd get swiftly unbanned

Thank you madam.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Sweetmia37: 6:50pm On Jan 05, 2021
Please I need cheap stocks recommendations that I can buy this January.Stocks less than $10.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 7:23pm On Jan 05, 2021
dominique:

Your candid response is appreciated ma.
Thanks and keep up the good work.

6 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Olayinka05: 7:57pm On Jan 05, 2021
Sweetmia37:
Please I need cheap stocks recommendations that I can buy this January.Stocks less than $10.

Thank you.

I will also appreciate your responses and suggestion to this. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by mdan(m): 8:00pm On Jan 05, 2021
Goodevening guys
I'm new into this.
I wanna start something but I don't have a laptop. Can I work with my phone or I should wait till I get a system.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (207) (208) (209) (210) (211) (212) (213) ... (431) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.