Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,736 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:17 PM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (610547 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (430) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by 4Play(m): 10:59am On May 24, 2020
gamaliel9:
Please do not trade so often on these fintechs...you will lose money..you just end up making money for them. I think dividend investing is better with them....

People will learn the hard way that over trading is a major loss maker, though the key source of revenues for the brokers. Holding indices is optimal, or at worst a basket of long term investments based on a mix of fundamental and technical analysis.

Trying to time markets works sometimes but if you do it long enough, you will lose money. The market is seductive as you have waves of success - many (perhaps most) people who have been dabbling in the markets since March would have made money. But eventually the market will turn whilst people keep doing what brought them profits before without realizing that market conditions have changed.

If one can't resist the urge to trade frequently, the best thing to do is keep say 10% of your portfolio in short-term bets. That way you enjoy (endure) the thrills and frills of frequent trading whilst enjoying the bigger profits that can come with investing for the long-term. As the legendary trader Jesse Livermore put it:

“It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight! It is no trick at all to be right on the market. You always find lots of early bulls in bull markets and early bears in bear markets..."

https://www.varchev.com/en/jesse-livermore-traders-who-can-both-be-right-and-sit-tight-are-uncommon/

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 1:27pm On May 24, 2020
4Play:

People will learn the hard way that over trading is a major loss maker, though the key source of revenues for the brokers. Holding indices is optimal, or at worst a basket of long term investments based on a mix of fundamental and technical analysis.

Trying to time markets works sometimes but if you do it long enough, you will lose money. The market is seductive as you have waves of success - many (perhaps most) people who have been dabbling in the markets since March would have made money. But eventually the market will turn whilst people keep doing what brought them profits before without realizing that market conditions have changed.

If one can't resist the urge to trade frequently, the best thing to do is keep say 10% of your portfolio in short-term bets. That way you enjoy (endure) the thrills and frills of frequent trading whilst enjoying the bigger profits that can come with investing for the long-term. As the legendary trader Jesse Livermore put it:

https://www.varchev.com/en/jesse-livermore-traders-who-can-both-be-right-and-sit-tight-are-uncommon/

I bought Chipotle[CMG] on Chaka at 903...they took over $9 for buying...then i sold at $925 in nearly two weeks..they took another over $9 when i sold.... total $18 plus..
And i made just $13..they made $18...its still painful...

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 1:32pm On May 24, 2020
It never was my thinking that made the big money for me. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight! It is no trick at all to be right on the market. You always find lots of early bulls in bull markets and early bears in bear markets..."

I appreciate....

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DreManuel(m): 1:56pm On May 24, 2020
gamaliel9:

It never was my thinking that made the big money for me
. It always was my sitting. Got that? My sitting tight! It is no trick at all to be right on the market. You always find lots of early bulls in bull markets and early bears in bear markets..."

I appreciate....

We should also not forget that while Livermore made lots of money from the market, he also lost everything and killed himself. Patience is indeed a virtue.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by handsomebolanle: 2:52pm On May 24, 2020
gamaliel9:

I bought Chipotle[CMG] on Chaka at 903...they took over $9 for buying...then i sold at $925 in nearly two weeks..they took another over $9 when i sold.... total $18 plus..

If you did your mathematics well you will realise you were bearly less 10% profit margin...
Still I think their transaction fees are still too high including bamboo...
Even Making 15% increment on my stock..while they charge a total 3.6% in transaction on the whole capital while I take the risk...
Do we have any other choice?? I will be interested...

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 4:21pm On May 24, 2020
handsomebolanle:

If you did your mathematics well you will realise you were bearly less 10% profit margin...
Still I think their transaction fees are still too high including bamboo...
Even Making 15% increment on my stock..while they charge a total 3.6% in transaction on the whole capital while I take the risk...
Do we have any other choice?? I will be interested...
These Fintechs are making a kill for simply opening limited access to US markets to local investors.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by seyisanya(m): 4:24pm On May 24, 2020
gamaliel9:

Wow, this is both hilarious and painful. You practically made money for them. This is another reason why we that are based in Nigeria need to really study the books of companies that are currently undervalued and buy into the bargain. Frequent trading is more profitable for those based abroad because that don't have to pay such commission. In fact, some platforms charge $0!

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 4:25pm On May 24, 2020
What are you buying next week?
I am looking at CRONOS, FORD and Tetraphase
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by seyisanya(m): 4:29pm On May 24, 2020
arduino:
What are you buying next week?
I am looking at CRONOS, FORD and Tetraphase
Bought FORD since March and I'm keeping for the long term!

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by civilserva: 4:30pm On May 24, 2020
DreManuel:
BTW...just read this book. I highly recommend it for beginners and experienced folks alike.

Do you have the pdf link?
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 4:42pm On May 24, 2020
seyisanya:
Bought FORD since March and I'm keeping for the long term!
Chai..... Oga you fast oooohhh.
Meanwhile can GERON break the $1.84 resistance? TA gurus help......
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by handsomebolanle: 4:57pm On May 24, 2020
arduino:

These Fintechs are making a kill for simply opening limited access to US markets to local investors.

I observed same too..Very true..
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by civilserva: 4:58pm On May 24, 2020
abuabdullah:

The bill has been passed.
My concern is, what does this means for US companies that are expose to Chinese market? Example: Apple and Tesla

Apple has already alternative suppliers from Taiwan and other Asian countries. Even if China should stop Foxcon from doing business with Apple, other manufacturers are on ground.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 5:13pm On May 24, 2020
Who’s looking at Disney? Any report on them? The gradual resumption of sport activities should be positive for ESPN which they own and heard they’re opening Disney park in China

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by abuabdullah: 5:27pm On May 24, 2020
gamaliel9:

Sorry bro
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 24, 2020
arduino:

They are driven by greed. They charge higher than black market for naira to dollars conversion. Charge high commission for trading. Let them know Rome was not built in a day.
Believe me well established Nigeria brokers are already planning to join the train. Competition ensures proper pricing.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by DreManuel(m): 7:44pm On May 24, 2020
civilserva:

Do you have the pdf link?

No, I bought a hard copy.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lafuria1(m): 8:35pm On May 24, 2020
Let me share my experience last week with a particular stock.

I bought Enphase energy at 39 dollars, because it's all time high was 59 dollars , I hoped to make about 50% gain. Corona was the reason the stock fell. I just bought the dip. I bought the stock in April.

The stock was going up and down as Normal, last week Monday, there was a surge and my total return was at 60% (exceed my target). The big question was should I hold for little more or sell and move on?

The company was good, good balance and all. My initial feeling was to hold

I follow some traders on twitter to learn few things from them, one particular tweet hit me " Don't fall in love with a particular stock" another one replied "that traders who fall in love with a particular stock lose money"

Point is if youve achieved your target, good to sell and move on. Don't get attached, it's just business

I decided to sell at 60% profit.

After selling, the stock still went up (if I held on, I will be at 72% gain)

Typicall Nigerian, I was bitting my finger BUT

At the end of the week, the stock fell for three consecutive days, if I had held on, my gain would have reduced to 45%.

As others have highlighted, have an entry and exit strategy

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by arduino: 8:55pm On May 24, 2020
ebuka1997:
Who’s looking at Disney? Any report on them? The gradual resumption of sport activities should be positive for ESPN which they own and heard they’re opening Disney park in China
Disney park China has been opened weeks ago
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 9:25pm On May 24, 2020
arduino:

Disney park China has been opened weeks ago

Okay I’m guessing below capacity, is Disney worth a buy
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by abuabdullah: 9:31pm On May 24, 2020
4Play:

Thanks for sharing, It is worth reading.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by MENTE(m): 10:00pm On May 24, 2020
How long does it take for deposit to reflect in my wallet on Chaka?.. I made deposit on Sunday morning
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 10:38pm On May 24, 2020
seyisanya:

Very true, boss.
These Fintechs are making so much from the commission they charge.

In fact, I realised most of the popular trading platforms in the USA charge 0% commission! But the question is: how do they make money?

I read somewhere that the brokerage app Robinhood also makes money from the spread, it buys from market makers at a lower price than it sells to customers and vice versa.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by yom2(m): 10:43pm On May 24, 2020
Ehuatamuigunisi:

They are driven by greed. They charge higher than black market for naira to dollars conversion. Charge high commission for trading. Let them know Rome was not built in a day.
Believe me well established Nigeria brokers are already planning to join the train. Competition ensures proper pricing.
they are just waking up. I have been calling meristem and others years back on this. When GTI first opened shop I thought that's one of the services they were going to offer but suddenly they changed direction. Am still suspecting it was arunma oteh that killed that idea then probably to protect the local market.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 11:59pm On May 24, 2020
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247wallst.com/consumer-products/2020/05/15/what-makes-aphria-stock-stand-out-among-pot-players/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4343756-aphria-holding-up-better-during-downturn

Anyone interested in cannabis stocks? Aphria is a major player in the cannabis space in Canada and is listed in the US. It’s fundamentals are very good and it might also see an increase in medical cannabis usage. I’m looking at gradually taking a position in it. Thanks.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 1:09am On May 25, 2020
gamaliel9:

Lol, I no suppose laugh but this cracked me up. Bros no worry, if this thread is indicative of anything, it means that there's interest in buying U.S stocks. Demand will drive competition; better days ahead.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 1:13am On May 25, 2020
ebuka1997:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/247wallst.com/consumer-products/2020/05/15/what-makes-aphria-stock-stand-out-among-pot-players/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/seekingalpha.com/amp/article/4343756-aphria-holding-up-better-during-downturn

Anyone interested in cannabis stocks? Aphria is a major player in the cannabis space in Canada and is listed in the US. It’s fundamentals are very good and it might also see an increase in medical cannabis usage. I’m looking at gradually taking a position in it. Thanks.

I'm interested o. My buy limit order triggered for GRWG at $5.9. I must follow hammer this week with cannabis stocks.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 1:17am On May 25, 2020
lafuria1:
Let me share my experience last week with a particular stock.

I bought Enphase energy at 39 dollars, because it's all time high was 59 dollars , I hoped to make about 50% gain. Corona was the reason the stock fell. I just bought the dip. I bought the stock in April.

The stock was going up and down as Normal, last week Monday, there was a surge and my total return was at 60% (exceed my target). The big question was should I hold for little more or sell and move on?

The company was good, good balance and all. My initial feeling was to hold

I follow some traders on twitter to learn few things from them, one particular tweet hit me " Don't fall in love with a particular stock" another one replied "that traders who fall in love with a particular stock lose money"

Point is if youve achieved your target, good to sell and move on. Don't get attached, it's just business

I decided to sell at 60% profit.

After selling, the stock still went up (if I held on, I will be at 72% gain)

Typicall Nigerian, I was bitting my finger BUT

At the end of the week, the stock fell for three consecutive days, if I had held on, my gain would have reduced to 45%.

As others have highlighted, have an entry and exit strategy

Weldone bros. Taking profits never hurts no one. I don dey watch Enphase (ENPH) for some time now. Trying to get in at a good price.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 1:23am On May 25, 2020
ebuka1997:
Well done bosses, I trade Nigeria stocks normally. I was able to open a Robinhood account with my ssn and bank account. I noticed someone uses robinhood here... please any help in learning how calls and puts work.. in trying to learn it to diversify. Thanks once again.

YouTube, Udemy.com and investopedia are great resources. There are also tons of books on Amazon.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 11:17am On May 25, 2020
YerYer:

YouTube, Udemy.com and investopedia are great resources. There are also tons of books on Amazon.

Thanks, would check out resources
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ebuka1997: 11:34am On May 25, 2020
YerYer:

I'm interested o. My buy limit order triggered for GRWG at $5.9. I must follow hammer this week with cannabis stocks.

Seems they’re highly volatile but the risk reward principle however.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by lastclaire4(f): 11:56am On May 25, 2020
gamaliel9:

I am new in this, but I think the mistake you are making is trading on normal stocks that are way too expensive. Expensive stocks like that dont move, stocks like that are for long term.

If you want to day trade, day trade with cheaper stocks with a beta greater than 1.00. Last week, I bought some stocks I held for two days one I sold at 20% profit and the other at 12%. For me, that's fine.

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (430) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68