Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,976 members, 7,817,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Us Stocks Pick Alert - Investment (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Us Stocks Pick Alert (613022 Views)

MTN Shares Pick Alert / My Stock Plays in US Stocks Market / Buying US Stocks From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (431) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 11:39pm On Feb 17, 2020
OakPearl:

Though currently close to its 52-week low of $5.25, it is also close to its 52-wewk high of $8.89, meaning the margin for a potential upside may not be too attractive.

Fundamental analysis shows EPS of $0.36 and ROE of 11.86% are quite encouraging, but this beautiful fundamental is again thwarted by a characteristic low trading volume with a paltry 56, 397 traded last Friday.

Summary: Range is low, leaving liquidity squeezed out of it.

Wonderful analysis. That low trading volume is concerning. I will keep an eye out for this one.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Hottdawgg: 1:19am On Feb 18, 2020
stokfrick:
Guys, any trading platform that does not honor buy or sell limits should be rejected, cos it will make u loose a lot of money by buying at outrageous or unregulated price s or selling below target price

This is an extremely important observation. What guarantees are there the intermediary will not take advantage of what is clearly a loop hole? My account is loaded and ready to go but this alongside unfavorable exchange rate with Trove bothers me as a new entrant.

OakPearl you have started what to some of is a dream come true. Thanks.

My other concern is how long is this going to last? I am not an economist neither do I pretend to be but this appears to be a form of capital flight that may put further pressure on the naira. Is it sustainable? What happens when our govt says no, enough is enough? Or should we just revel in our fools paradise, being the risk takers that we are, hoping for the best? When some of us joined in the NSE bubble that was promoted on NL sometime ago, we had no such fears.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Hottdawgg: 2:01am On Feb 18, 2020
I am really disappointed in Chaka. I can't register with them. How many people do they think have NIN number in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by sholatech(m): 2:30am On Feb 18, 2020
Hottdawgg:
I am really disappointed in Chaka. I can't register with them. How many people do they think have NIN number in Nigeria?

Same issues im battling for 2-3 weeks now with them. Needing a NIN before one can transact is a no-no for many of us.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by bjbjbj: 3:39am On Feb 18, 2020
Day trader this is what I do for a living!

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ChybuzzDD(m): 5:09am On Feb 18, 2020
gamaliel9:
What stocks are we looking up to tomorrow? Virgin Galactico? Tesla still? Any other?

T-mobile. The market speedily reacted to news of its successful merger with Sprint last week, but the uptrend paled off after another news of an appeal. With the appeal off the table yesterday, I think the market will react positively again today. They're also in for the upcoming 5G network, and have been predicted to outperform other telecom giants like Verizon and AT&T. Verizon is also taking a good posture for the up coming 5G network, just Nokia.
@OakPearl, can you throw further lights for us on this? Thanks.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:02am On Feb 18, 2020
There was verifiable news on friday that Warren Buffet increased his positions on friday in the following stocks: OXY, SU, GM, and RH, and bought new ones in KR, BIIB, SPY & VOO, while reducing his shares in some other ones. I think we may need to peep into some of these companies, searching for what he and his portfolio managers saw there.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by ukay2: 7:28am On Feb 18, 2020
Hottdawgg:

This is an extremely important observation. What guarantees are there the intermediary will not take advantage of what is clearly a loop hole? My account is loaded and ready to go but this alongside unfavorable exchange rate with Trove bothers me as a new entrant.

My other concern is how long is this going to last? I am not an economist neither do I pretend to be but this appears to be a form of capital flight that may put further pressure on the naira. Is it sustainable? What happens when our govt says no, enough is enough? Or should we just revel in our fools paradise, being the risk takers that we are, hoping for the best? When some of us joined in the NSE bubble that was promoted on NL sometime ago, we had no such fears.

This is aVERY IMPORTANT POINT RAISED.

I think we should deliberate it a while

Thanks
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 18, 2020
Following
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Nobody: 9:03am On Feb 18, 2020
Amotekun2020:
For Resilient and aggressive RISK takers, here is one of the most profitable commodity in the world.
RHODIUM..... It has been on steroid in the last two years. The role of this scarce commodity in EV and absolute reduction of green house emissions is the reason for the steroid. However, like any other commodity, should a substitute be discovered (this I strongly doubt) the price might nosedived. For now, it is projected to return another 450% in 2020 as the race for Environmental sustainable investments kick on.

https://origin.markets.businessinsider.com/commodities/rhodium-price

https://www.reuters.com/article/palladium-platinum-johnson-matthey/palladium-platinum-and-rhodium-markets-all-in-deficit-in-2019-johnson-matthey-idUSL8N2AC47M?feedType=RSS&feedName=companyNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FcompanyNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Company+News%29

If you are interested in commodity trading or etf products dt track commodities, don't fall behind. RHODIUM is on real life fire. Bitcoin is a child play. You ain't see dz..... Then track rhodium on yahoo finance. I was lucky to key in yesterday. 24 hrs return is really significant. ONLY FOR RISK TAKERS. ALL OR NONE RISK TAKERS
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Nobody: 11:37am On Feb 18, 2020
https://www.ccn.com/warren-buffetts-stock-moves-warn-of-looming-recession-for-u-s-economy/

Warren Buffett’s Stock Moves Warn of Looming Recession for U.S. Economy
Warren Buffett' Berkshire Hathaway has moved into defensive stocks while trimming banks and consumer discretionary stocks. Should investors be concerned about recession?

Author Image Author: Mark Emem @wetalkmarkets
Berkshire Hathaway, Buffett
Berkshire Hathaway's portfolio adjustment suggests Warren Buffett and Charlie Munger are worried about recession. | Image: REUTERS/Scott Morgan/File Photo

Berkshire Hathaway has moved into defensive stocks as stakes in recession-prone companies were cut.
Warren Buffett’s heavy exposure to financials is now lower.
Charlie Munger recently warned of “lots of troubles” ahead for the economy.
Warren Buffett’s most recent stock purchases point to growing concerns that an economic downturn is right ahead.

A Feb. 14 SEC filing shows that Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE:BRK.A) is putting money in stocks that are relatively immune from negative economic growth. At the same time, Berkshire has reduced its stakes in companies that are likely to be the hardest hit by an economic downturn.

What Did Warren Buffett Buy And Sell?
According to the SEC filing, Berkshire Hathaway initiated a stake in retailer Kroger (NYSE:KR) buying nearly 19 million shares. Berkshire now holds about 2.4% in the largest grocery retailer in the U.S. Based on Friday’s closing price the stake is worth over $500 million.

Typically during an economic downturn, consumer staples outperform as consumption is largely restricted to must-haves. Groceries and other fast-moving consumer goods obviously fall in this category.

In the past, value-oriented retailers such as Walmart (NYSE:WMT) and Kroger have recorded profit growth even in periods of downturn. For instance, Walmart’s net income between 2008 and 2010 rose year after year as Americans flocked to the big-box retailer in a bid to stretch their dollars.

Classic Recession Beaters
The stocks of the two retailers have equally withstood the bearish sentiment during past recessions. In the past five recessions both WMT and KR beat the S&P 500 Index, solidifying the place of value-oriented retailers as worthy defensive stocks.

In addition to being a classic defensive play, Kroger is currently undervalued. It bears a consensus analyst rating of “Overweight.”

Kroger
Analysts have overwhelmingly vouched for Kroger. | Source: WSJ.com
Kroger’s stock stands to benefit from a buyback plan. Between $0.5 billion and $1 billion have been allocated for the stock repurchase plan.

Another classic defensive stock that Warren Buffett bought per the SEC filing is Biogen Inc (NASDAQ:BIIB).

During economic downturns, demand for healthcare experiences relative inelasticity. Notably, pharmaceutical firms such as Bristol-Myers Squibb (NYSE:BMY) and Pfizer (NYSE:PFE) recorded sales growth of 8% and 7% respectively in 2009. Even as the S&P 500 Index plunged in 2008, another pharmaceutical stock Amgen, Inc (NASDAQ:AMGN) appreciated nearly 24%.

This time round, Biogen could replicate what rivals did in recessions past. The pharmaceutical firm comes as the company’s treatments for spinal muscular atrophy and multiple sclerosis increased revenues and profits significantly last year.

Apple Turns Sour For Warren Buffett
The Oracle of Omaha has reduced his stake in Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) by 1.5%. While not really a stock dump, it’s indisputable that consumer discretionary companies suffer during economic downturns. As Apple sells mostly high-end computing devices, in a recession consumers are likely to delay purchasing a new device or upgrading.

Berkshire’s reduced Apple stake is coming at a time when the iPhone maker has lost its position as the Dow’s leading gainer to tech rivals IBM (NYSE: IBM), Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT) and Intel (NASDAQ: INTC).

Even by cutting its stake in AAPL to over 245 million shares, Berkshire Hathaway is still Apple’s second-largest owner.

Warren Buffett
Top owners of Apple. | Source: CNN.com
A Berkshire Hathaway Bank Run… Sort Of
That Warren Buffett has a particular affinity for financial stocks is not a secret. As of Q3 2019, almost half of Berkshire Hathaway’s portfolio consisted of banks and insurance firms. Now the investing conglomerate has moved to reduce its exposure in financials.

The most affected is Goldman Sachs (NYSE:GS) where Berkshire Hathaway has cut its stake by 35%. The investing conglomerate additionally reduced its interest in Wells Fargo (NYSE:WFC) by 15%. Stakes in Bank of New York Mellon Corp (NYSE:BK) and Bank of America (NYSE:BAC) fell by 1.5% and 0.24% respectively.

In case of an economic downturn, it’s inevitable that central banks will cut rates to revive growth. This has the effect of reducing banks’ lending margins.

Besides Berkshire Hathaway’s stock moves, Warren Buffett’s sidekick Charlie Munger recently warned that the economy is headed for “lots of troubles.” Berkshire’s portfolio realignment has just underlined th

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Nobody: 12:06pm On Feb 18, 2020
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 12:11pm On Feb 18, 2020
Hottdawgg:

Your concerns are not out of place bro.
Truth is we owe ourselves the individual obligation to take full advantage of economic opportunities as they come irrespective of what government policies of the day is obtainable.

We just have to do our best to make this life better as long as it is through legitimate means.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 12:15pm On Feb 18, 2020
Hottdawgg:

Sorry sir.
I also experienced the request for NIN while registering with Chaka and it came with a code to generate it.
The code generated mine even if I didn't know I had one. grin

Trove didn't ask for this when I registered last year.
This is why I always advise that we have more than one platform as either of them may have their challenges from time to time.

You may try Trove as an alternative bro.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 12:22pm On Feb 18, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

T-mobile. The market speedily reacted to news of its successful merger with Sprint last week, but the uptrend paled off after another news of an appeal. With the appeal off the table yesterday, I think the market will react positively again today. They're also in for the upcoming 5G network, and have been predicted to outperform other telecom giants like Verizon and AT&T. Verizon is also taking a good posture for the up coming 5G network, just Nokia.
@OakPearl, can you throw further lights for us on this? Thanks.

True info ChybuzDD.
T-mobile is one of the 5G stocks touted to explode when the 5G boom begins.
I was wondering why the initial favourable merger judgement didn't impact too much on it like it did on Sprint.

Maybe because Sprint being a penny stock ($5 and below stocks) then, had more upside potential.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 12:27pm On Feb 18, 2020
ChybuzzDD:
There was verifiable news on friday that Warren Buffet increased his positions on friday in the following stocks: OXY, SU, GM, and RH, and bought new ones in KR, BIIB, SPY & VOO, while reducing his shares in some other ones. I think we may need to peep into some of these companies, searching for what he and his portfolio managers saw there.

True.
I love Warren and have followed his investment principles and his books for the last 15 years or more.
But the thing with Warren Buffett's stocks is that his parameters and criteria are far more conservative and ultimately has longer horizons than this present day short-term quick profit trend.

So anyone following Buffet's stock should know more patience may be required unless the herd mentality drives it up.

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 2:18pm On Feb 18, 2020
PRE-MARKET UPDATE
In spite of the fall of the Dow Futures by 150 points today, which is a signal of what the general market trend may be when trading resumes today (though this does not always happen 100%), there are signs that some of the best performing stocks are still very likely to continue their upward trend.

Congratulations if you bought the following:

Virgin Galactic (SPCE). Was $23.08 on date of analysis.
It is set to hit $32 today from the last closing price of $28.68.

Sprint (S) Was $4.80 on date of analysis.
It is set to trade today at $8.74 from the last closing price of $8.69.

Nio (NIO)
It is set to trade at $3.87 from $3.77.
This one is for the future. Will jump beyond this after coronavirus is sorted.

Tesla (TSLA)
It is set to trade at $857 from the last closing price of $800.03.
That's a whopping $57 gain per share in one day!

Moral of the story:
Even in a down market, with hard work and careful analysis, money can still be made.

9 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Hottdawgg: 2:35pm On Feb 18, 2020
OakPearl:

Sorry sir.
I also experienced the request for NIN while registering with Chaka and it came with a code to generate it.
The code generated mine even if I didn't know I had one. grin

Trove didn't ask for this when I registered last year.
This is why I always advise that we have more than one platform as either of them may have their challenges from time to time.

You may try Trove as an alternative bro.

I was at the nimc office this afternoon. I managed to bulldoze my way through all manner of redtape to obtain form, get my data recorded and then captioned. It was not easy. When u bulldoze your way through a Nigerian public office, of course you know what that means. Lol. But still people consider me lucky because I should get my nin in a week time.

I felt Trove is ripping off Nigerians exchanging dollar for 368 when Chaka takes 362. Between buying and selling they are already making 2% per stock, which is huge. Why do they seek to take advantage of clients more than this. It just ain't no cricket.

3 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 3:47pm On Feb 18, 2020
ADS is a deeply undervalued stock. I will start building a position at these levels

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 3:53pm On Feb 18, 2020
Never fight the market. It doesn't matter whether you believe stocks deserve their current valuations.

I have no clue why SPCE is up 14% today but, I wont fight against the trend. When OakPearl posted the stock in focus, I bought just 20 shares and bought 1 contract of the Feb 21st 25 call option for $110. I'm up $876 or 66.6% total. The call option alone popped 636%

4 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 3:55pm On Feb 18, 2020
Hottdawgg:

On capital flight...what about the inflow through selling for price appreciation? Dividends too? I think there is both inflow and outflow. Last week i made some gains and exchanged to naira. We continue to make money while we wait for CBN..

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 4:49pm On Feb 18, 2020
Hottdawgg:

I was at the nimc office this afternoon. I managed to bulldoze my way through all manner of redtape to obtain form, get my data recorded and then captioned. It was not easy. When u bulldoze your way through a Nigerian public office, of course you know what that means. Lol. But still people consider me lucky because I should get my nin in a week time.

I felt Trove is ripping off Nigerians exchanging dollar for 368 when Chaka takes 362. Between buying and selling they are already making 2% per stock, which is huge. Why do they seek to take advantage of clients more than this. It just ain't no cricket.
Lolz...
I can imagine your fury!
Great determination.
Nigerians like strong hand sha. grin

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 4:57pm On Feb 18, 2020
YerYer:
ADS is a deeply undervalued stock. I will start building a position at these levels

Could you graciously give us some more insight on what your pros and cons for this pick are?

I will also do a due diligence on it to see what latent treasures may be locked in there.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 4:59pm On Feb 18, 2020
YerYer:
Never fight the market. It doesn't matter whether you believe stocks deserve their current valuations.

I have no clue why SPCE is up 14% today but, I wont fight against the trend. When OakPearl posted the stock in focus, I bought just 20 shares and bought 1 contract of the Feb 21st 25 call option for $110. I'm up $876 or 66.6% total. The call option alone popped 636%

I remember your "killer instincts" move when you pulled the trigger.
Congrats bro.

2 Likes

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Hottdawgg: 6:03pm On Feb 18, 2020
gamaliel9:

On capital flight...what about the inflow through selling for price appreciation? Dividends too? I think there is both inflow and outflow. Last week i made some gains and exchanged to naira. We continue to make money while we wait for CBN..

I agree with you but foreign investment is what it is- a net outward flow of liquid capital. There is no denying that some of these funds will find their way back just like smuggled money.

Beyond that unless there is close regulatory monitoring and sanction (thank God for the BVN requirement) legitimate transactions like yours and mine is hardly an issue govt should worry itself over when the big elephant enters the room- innovative kleptocrats who can't be risking getting caught with millions of dollars at the airport all the time

Having said that, Global stock market investment is my short and long term goal. Fortunately these transactions are done in minutes and seconds should we have a Pharaoh who doesn't want to know Joseph.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by gamaliel9: 9:03pm On Feb 18, 2020
OakPearl:
PRE-MARKET UPDATE
In spite of the fall of the Dow Futures by 150 points today, which is a signal of what the general market trend may be when trading resumes today (though this does not always happen 100%), there are signs that some of the best performing stocks are still very likely to continue their upward trend.

Congratulations if you bought the following:

Virgin Galactic (SPCE). Was $23.08 on date of analysis.
It is set to hit $32 today from the last closing price of $28.68.

Sprint (S) Was $4.80 on date of analysis.
It is set to trade today at $8.74 from the last closing price of $8.69.

Nio (NIO)
It is set to trade at $3.87 from $3.77.
This one is for the future. Will jump beyond this after coronavirus is sorted.

Tesla (TSLA)
It is set to trade at $857 from the last closing price of $800.03.
That's a whopping $57 gain per share in one day!

Moral of the story:
Even in a down market, with hard work and careful analysis, money can still be made.

Spot on Sir..looking closing prices...you are a guru...more please
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by Nobody: 6:24am On Feb 19, 2020
OakPearl:

No one was born into anything.
We all came into the world unbiased with nothing, and learned our way into what has stood each one of us out.

Your interest in investing is the first step towards a new expertise.
Get your hands on as many educational materials as you can get on investing in stocks and especially in this case the US stock market.

Start acquiring knowledge reading the following books:
1. The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
2. The New Trading For A Living by Alexander Elder

Follow the latest events online on investing.com and cnbc.com and their likes to get regular updates and news about the market daily.
Good luck!

thanks , please can you list few books about investing and trading in stock , my guardian taught me a little about the stock market .
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 2:47pm On Feb 19, 2020
omohz:

thanks , please can you list few books about investing and trading in stock , my guardian taught me a little about the stock market .

If you scroll upwards on this same page 9, you will see that bjbjbj has posted a lot of books.
Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by OakPearl(m): 2:51pm On Feb 19, 2020
Earnings Update
Dish Network (DISH) – The satellite TV provider beat estimates by 10 cents a share, with quarterly earnings of 69 cents per share. Revenue also beat forecasts. Pay-TV subscribership declined, but at a slower pace.

Garmin (GRMN) – The maker of GPS and fitness devices reported quarterly earnings of $1.29 per share, beating the consensus estimate of $1.04 a share. Revenue was also above forecasts, boosted by growth in all of Garmin's product categories. The company raised its quarterly dividend by 4 cents to 61 cents per share.

Tesla (TSLA) – Piper Sandler increased its price target for the automaker's stock to $928 per share from $729, saying it expects the company to achieve the same success in energy generation and storage that it has in vehicles.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 3:15pm On Feb 19, 2020
OakPearl:

Could you graciously give us some more insight on what your pros and cons for this pick are?

I will also do a due diligence on it to see what latent treasures may be locked in there.

Absolutely,
From 2010 till date, the stock has a total return of 95% while earnings have grown 249%. Stock is roughly at $100, with an all time high of $312.

Yahoo finance also sees ADS as undervalued, they have a conservative 12month target of $124.

Morningstar has a current day fair value of $146 or 42% above it's current value.

I will be building slowly. I don't expect it to pop rapidly like other high flyer stocks.

Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by YerYer: 3:25pm On Feb 19, 2020
Stocks I will be watching closely and might buy the shares or call options.

TLRA Telaria: Current price $13.27

PLUG Plug Power: $5.27

DEAC Diamond Eagle Aquisition Corp: $17.74

AMD Advanced Micro Devices, Inc: $57.86

MSFT Microsoft Corp: $188.10

Many of these names are already up big pre-market and quite frankly overheated right now, but I will choose an entry point and ride the wave and get out. Watching SPCE and TSLA too, was able to get more call options in SPCE yesterday. Will likely dip into AMD at open.
Re: Us Stocks Pick Alert by bjbjbj: 3:56pm On Feb 19, 2020
Where are you

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (431) (Reply)

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians / Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.