Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,174 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:18 AM

Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US (36262 Views)

Be Ready To “replace” Returned $300m Abacha Loot If Misused, US Tells Buhari / $322m Abacha Loot: List Of States To Receive Cash In July / $322m Abacha Loot: FG Begins Cash Transfer To Poor Homes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by einsteine(m): 12:45pm On Feb 05, 2020
ivolt:
Very stupid statement.
The same US state department that has been relegated by Trump is threatening Nigeria over its own money.
The good news is that it is an empty threat as there is no basis for repaying your own money to a thief collaborator.

The US controls the dollar system. They will simply seize equivalent dollar assets in the event of mismanagement.

What this condition would do is that it would reduce the corruption from outright stealing of the entire fund to over-invoicing
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by Funkybabee(f): 12:49pm On Feb 05, 2020
Liposure:
fantastic idea. Anyway, How do u do my dear

Fine
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by einsteine(m): 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2020
mu2sa2:
"Do funds stolen from Nigeria adversely affect the living standard of the Americans? No" - This is subjective. Stolen funds( we're talking of billions of dollars here)stashed away in western countries oil their economy and that's why they make it difficult to get these monies back. And even if you manage to get extradition agreement, you'll find it screwed in favour of the country releasing the fund (e.g by releasing the money in tranches over a lond period of time or tying it to projects awarded to companies linked to those countries). Stolen funds kept in US benefit US economy in a big way.

It is still the job of the country losing money to stop it's money from being stolen. There is no country in the world that would reject foreign direct investment. Let's not forget that a lot of these funds were camouflaged as investment proceeds and the PEP status of Abacha was not disclosed to the banks. Intermediaries like Chagoury (who had a reputation as a respected business man) were used to complete these transactions. Why then should they reject the money?
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by AreaFada2: 12:59pm On Feb 05, 2020
jimyjames:
They should not give Nigeria the money , they should bring the money and invest it in something that all Nigerians will benefit from

The waiting looters will soon be forming "patriots", telling us Nigeria is a sovereign country.

US should keep the money and pay it as grants to Nigerian students studying in US. Or set up a scholarship scheme for poor Nigerians given admission to Ivy League universities. Until the money runs out.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by SamgoldBaba: 1:01pm On Feb 05, 2020
jimyjames:

But the money belongs to Nigeria na
Yes it does..
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by Pro2makx(m): 1:03pm On Feb 05, 2020
References:

https://punchng.com/nigeria-must-repay-abacha-loot-if-its-stolen-again-us/

Of course, why not. Abi what did the clueless Government do with the last one? Didn't they say they were sharing it to poor Nigerians? Can they even show us a detailed and verifiable data of this so called poor Nigerians?
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by idealogical: 1:03pm On Feb 05, 2020
I see the usual bitter negative and acerbic people already gathered to wail and lament over nothing.

We welcome the standard stipulations regarding the money which is not a big deal.

We've already mapped out what we are going to do with the money and the projects we are going to fund with it for the benefit of the people of Nigeria.

God bless PMB

God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by uchennaq(m): 1:10pm On Feb 05, 2020
References:

https://punchng.com/nigeria-must-repay-abacha-loot-if-its-stolen-again-us/

This is a welcome development. This is a job well done by USA else those vultures called politicians will as usual descend on the money like hungry vultures.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by ivolt: 1:24pm On Feb 05, 2020
einsteine:

The US controls the dollar system. They will simply seize equivalent dollar assets in the event of mismanagement.

What this condition would do is that it would reduce the corruption from outright stealing of the entire fund to over-invoicing
No.
They can't.
Only the president can authorize such seizures and it is likely illegal under US law.
How other countries run their finances is none of America's business.
They are free to reject such money but they can't dictate how it is spent.

And before you harp on about corruption. US government contracts from defense to construction
are also inflated and over-invoiced due to corruption.
That is one of the basis of the libertarian argument.
Some call it wastage but the extra money still ends up in someone's pocket.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by einsteine(m): 1:29pm On Feb 05, 2020
ivolt:

No.
They can't.
Only the president can authorize such seizures and it is likely illegal under US law.
How other countries run their finances is none of America's business.
They are free to reject such money but they can't dictate how it is spent.

And before you harp on about corruption. US government contracts from defense to construction
are also inflated and over-invoiced due to corruption.
That is one of the basis of the libertarian argument.
Some call it wastage but the extra money still ends up in someone's pocket.

They can.

They did it to several Afghan contractors. They asked for the Dubai bank where the money was to return it but the bank refused. Equivalent assets of those banks in the US were then frozen leaving the bank with no choice but to return the money.

Of course, a court order would be issued before such action is taken.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by JJOF(m): 1:43pm On Feb 05, 2020
GenBuhari:
Imagine! How can a thief be giving conditions to owner before returning owners property?
Fool. Shey na USA steal the money, abi na your fellow Northern Islamic terrorist brother.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by I888(m): 1:46pm On Feb 05, 2020
executive12:

Yeah right. I guess you don't know how Nigerians steal Government money. The contracts will obviously be inflated. The contractor will pay the officials the agreed amount. Do think America will be monitoring the Bank accounts of all Nigerians? In fact, most of the contracts will be executed by companies that are fronting for same officials.
enjoy!

Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by uchennaq(m): 1:51pm On Feb 05, 2020
mu2sa2:
This has nothing to do with buhari or nigeria. This policy is applied to all countries seeking repatriation of stolen funds. It is a good policy, if you ask me, because hundreds of millons of dollars were repatriated during Obasanjo and Gej administrations but were never accounted for. Let's also not forget that US do lay claim to all dollars worldwide, because it's their currency.

Always trying to justify Nonsense. I don't if Buhari na you your grandpa, abeg tell us.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by uchennaq(m): 1:54pm On Feb 05, 2020
I888:
enjoy!

Take this Nonsense out of here. Always justifying nonsense.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by mu2sa2: 1:56pm On Feb 05, 2020
uchennaq:

Always trying to justify Nonsense. I don't if Buhari na you your grandpa, abeg tell us.
I made factual statement, mr man. It's your post that doesn't make sense - a nonsensical, brainless vituperation.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by I888(m): 2:08pm On Feb 05, 2020
uchennaq:

Take this Nonsense out of here. Always justifying nonsense.
how? undecided
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by uchennaq(m): 2:31pm On Feb 05, 2020
ivolt:
Very stupid statement.
The same US state department that has been relegated by Trump is threatening Nigeria over its own money.
The good news is that it is an empty threat as there is no basis for repaying your own money to a thief collaborator.

Senseless comment, what has your so called govt done with the previous ones released? Looters collaborator.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by Saintp(m): 2:38pm On Feb 05, 2020
mu2sa2:
"Do funds stolen from Nigeria adversely affect the living standard of the Americans? No" - This is subjective. Stolen funds( we're talking of billions of dollars here)stashed away in western countries oil their economy and that's why they make it difficult to get these monies back. And even if you manage to get extradition agreement, you'll find it screwed in favour of the country releasing the fund (e.g by releasing the money in tranches over a lond period of time or tying it to projects awarded to companies linked to those countries). Stolen funds kept in US benefit US economy in a big way.

Who cares of it benefits the US economy? Who would you blame, the stupid person or the person that capitalized on the stupid person?

Nigeria is even lucky that there is a little humanity in the western world. They don't deserve to get any money back.

Imagine if it is the other way round. Corrupt American leader willingly stashed money in Nigeria and died, will Nigeria ever acknowledge that money was stashed not to talk of returning it to the US? Think for a minute

Even Nigeria's money in Nigeria is held by leaders without releasing it for the development of the country not to talk of releasing money stolen from another country.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by ivolt: 3:01pm On Feb 05, 2020
uchennaq:

Senseless comment, what has your so called govt done with the previous ones released? Looters collaborator.
Since it is not your government, I wonder why you are crying about an issue that doesn't concern you.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by ivolt: 3:13pm On Feb 05, 2020
einsteine:

They can.

They did it to several Afghan contractors. They asked for the Dubai bank where the money was to return it but the bank refused. Equivalent assets of those banks in the US were then frozen leaving the bank with no choice but to return the money.

Of course, a court order would be issued before such action is taken.

Where is your source?
There is a difference between a contractor or a government.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by Iluvmycontr3: 3:52pm On Feb 05, 2020
jimyjames:
They should not give Nigeria the money , they should bring the money and invest it in something that all Nigerians will benefit from

God bless you. Good point... But how can we get to or reach the appropriate authority n let them know abt our idea, suggestion or perspective??
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by jimyjames(m): 4:05pm On Feb 05, 2020
Iluvmycontr3:

God bless you. Good point... But how can we get to or reach the appropriate authority n let them know abt our idea, suggestion or perspective??
A common man doesn't have a voice in Nigeria , so we can only wish
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by snitchbitch: 4:11pm On Feb 05, 2020
only God knows how the former late General will feel when he hears this,
meanwhile those who stole pass him are still walking free
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by idealogical: 4:24pm On Feb 05, 2020
jimyjames:

This is the most laughable comment in this thread. You want the US to come and invest your money in your own country to do what?

The money is our money and we know exactly what to do with our money, it's even in the press release the OP posted, wee have 3 ongoing projects to spend the money on.

You people need to relax with the wailing and stop embarrassing yourselves.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by jimyjames(m): 4:45pm On Feb 05, 2020
Nigeria already embarrassed itself from the moment abacha and the rest started stealing money to hide in banks abroad,
Isn't it shameful that the Americans are returning the money with condition of knowing what Nigeria will do with , our money as you call it?
And what will Nigeria do if america decide not to return the money?

idealogical:

This is the most laughable comment in this thread. You want the US to come and invest your money in your own country to do what?

The money is our money and we know exactly what to do with our money, it's even in the press release the OP posted, wee have 3 ongoing projects to spend the money on.

You people need to relax with the wailing and stop embarrassing yourselves.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by idealogical: 5:00pm On Feb 05, 2020
jimyjames:
Nigeria already embarrassed itself from the moment abacha and the rest started stealing money to hide in banks abroad,
Isn't it shameful that the Americans are returning the money with condition of knowing what Nigeria will do with , our money as you call it?
And what will Nigeria do if america decide not to return the money?

You are not saying anything, preconditions are always attached to asset repatriations all over the world, it's not limited to Nigeria so stop embarrassing yourself with inaccurate assertions, this is the standard practice.

What difference does it make who stole or did not steal the money, is corruption or looting returned funds a new thing in Nigeria?

The other returned Abacha loot was stolen by GEJ and Dasuki, it was shared with Fayose, FFK, Dokpesi, Metu and other looting and stealing crooked and corrupt PDP looters.

Where were you hypocrites to shout and speak up against corruption under GEJ when looting and stealing was a way of life and national character?

Or you think the same America forgot or did not see what GEJ and his looting and stealing gang did to that returned Abacha loot?

Or we don't have PDP looters on trial as we speak for looting that returned funds?

Stop the hypocrisy and crocodile tears.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by Legendguru: 6:11pm On Feb 05, 2020
Good
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by jimyjames(m): 6:23pm On Feb 05, 2020
My friend I can see you are an APC political thug , but I wasn't talking politics when I made my first comment so shut your mouth
idealogical:

You are not saying anything, preconditions are always attached to asset repatriations all over the world, it's not limited to Nigeria so stop embarrassing yourself with inaccurate assertions, this is the standard practice.

What difference does it make who stole or did not steal the money, is corruption or looting returned funds a new thing in Nigeria?

The other returned Abacha loot was stolen by GEJ and Dasuki, it was shared with Fayose, FFK, Dokpesi, Metu and other looting and stealing crooked and corrupt PDP looters.

Where were you hypocrites to shout and speak up against corruption under GEJ when looting and stealing was a way of life and national character?

Or you think the same America forgot or did not see what GEJ and his looting and stealing gang did to that returned Abacha loot?

Or we don't have PDP looters on trial as we speak for looting that returned funds?

Stop the hypocrisy and crocodile tears.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by Lanre0: 6:28pm On Feb 05, 2020
May ALLAH Almighty reward Abacha handsomely for his deed on earth. However, when should we be expecting the return of the following people' s loots. Ibrahim Babangida, Olusegun Obasanjo, Danjumo, Abubakar, Jonathan, Tinubu , Saraki, Oritsajafor & many other pen robbers masquerading as multi billionaires. It is only then we can have insecurity put at bay & whole Nigeria will become an enviable place to live in.
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by idealogical: 6:37pm On Feb 05, 2020
jimyjames:

My friend I can see you are an APC political thug , but I wasn't talking politics when I made my first comment so shut your mouth

Look at this one hiding under politics.

PDP political thug, I made valid comments regarding returned Abacha loot that GEJ and his PDD looting gang looted and shared so Mr PDP political thug, prove me wrong.

Was the money looted by GEJ and his PDP looting gang? Yes or No?
Re: Nigeria Must Repay Abacha Loot If It’s Stolen Again – US by jimyjames(m): 6:48pm On Feb 05, 2020
The truth is the money belongs to Niger Delta, so if GEJ took back what belongs to his people then he did the right thing
People like abacha and obasanjo were wrong to loot the money they looted cause the money is not from their regions
idealogical:

Look at this one hiding under politics.

PDP political thug, I made valid comments regarding returned Abacha loot that GEJ and his PDD looting gang looted and shared so Mr PDP political thug, prove me wrong.

Was the money looted by GEJ and his PDP looting gang? Yes or No?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Onion Traders Threaten To Cut Supply To Southern Nigeria Monday / 19-Year-Old Comedian Remanded In Prison Over Bank Robbery Prank / Troops Arrest Suspected Kaduna Bomber Disguised As A Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.