Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,487 members, 7,850,681 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:12 AM

Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? (2330 Views)

Would You Ever Cheat In A Relationship? / Man or Woman, Who is More Unfaithful in a Relationship? / How Do You Approach a Lady for a Relationship? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by Nobody: 8:45pm On Dec 13, 2010
It's called insurance. Full coverage guaranteed in the event that your current "ride" crash and burns! grin grin
Just kidding!
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by googles: 8:47pm On Dec 13, 2010
kokoye:

means you are expecting or working towards a break-up anyway.

yes ! you are on point  wink
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by degubi(m): 8:59pm On Dec 13, 2010
@Violent
You name the time and place, i will ensure that i come with my wallet to guarantee that it won't be a one sided occasion.
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by 2kurupt(m): 9:09pm On Dec 13, 2010
I fink it shows insecurty in your part if u gat a plan B/back up or wateva u call it.

Why not put such energy into making the best out of the relationship. Like someone said if u ain't happy wif wat u gat then move on with your life & free the other person
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by Freesia(f): 11:59pm On Dec 13, 2010
You might as well let the other person know you're in an open relationship with them that way they know you can step anytime.What happened to good old fashioned monogamy??For keeps and not for back ups? Kai !!
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by InkedNerd(f): 12:06am On Dec 14, 2010
Freesia:

You might as well let the other person know you're in an open relationship with them that way they know you can step anytime.[b]What happened to good old fashioned monogamy??[/b]For keeps and not for back ups? Kai !!

There really is no such thing as human beings being monogamous since we're genetically inclined to drift from one person to another. We've just conditioned ourselves to believe that one must only be with one person at a time.
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by ShyOne(f): 12:33am On Dec 14, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

There really is no such thing as human beings being monogamous since we're genetically inclined to drift from one person to another. We've just conditioned ourselves to believe that one must only be with one person at a time.

@ Inked

What? I've never heard this before - is this an academic teaching you quote? It sounds like a foreign language. Is it a scientific theory you speak of or a theological teaching?

I generally agree with alot that you post - However, I'm sorry but I beg to differ on that thought process.
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by violent(m): 12:49am On Dec 14, 2010
Shy-One:

@ Inked

What? I've never heard this before - is this an academic teaching you quote? It sounds like a foreign language. Is it a scientific theory you speak of or a theological teaching?

I generally agree with alot that you post - However, I'm sorry but I beg to differ on that thought process.

Actually she's right on this---all animals, both lower ones and higher ones are polygamous in nature----that's what the hormones do!

If we weren't, then it will mean human bodies are programmed to respond to only one person or individual, which is quite far from being the truth. Sense of morality, sense of commitment and an inbuilt sense of fear of being "caught cheating" is what limits human ability to exploit its full sexuality.
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by deniyor: 1:13am On Dec 14, 2010
1. Having a backup means you are not fully committed to either relationship. Why will you bother expending your energy making it work when you can just move on to the next one.
2. It is totally unfair on the backup option. How would you feel if you were a backup option?
3. If the original relationship fails, you go for the backup. That means you don't care for your backup option. Why would anyone want to be second choice.
4. Very likely, the backup option will not know he/she is a backup option. Dishonesty / Deceit  is never a good foundation for relationships.
5. It is cheating. If you are sleeping with both of them, just plain disgusting. If you are sleeping with only one, you have to keep one emotionally satisfied somehow. Emotional cheating right there.
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by ShyOne(f): 1:23am On Dec 14, 2010
violent:

Actually she's right on this---all animals, both lower ones and higher ones are polygamous in nature----that's what the hormones do!

If we weren't, then it will mean human bodies are programmed to respond to only one person or individual, which is quite far from being the truth.  Sense of morality, sense of commitment and an inbuilt sense of fear of being "caught cheating" is what limits human ability to exploit its full sexuality.

Hmmmmm.  So technically speaking from a biological point of view.  Ok, understandable - thank you for the expansion of my thought.

You know - our "higher level of intellect" that separates us from "the animals" is when we choose to be "monogamous" - when we have a backup, that in itself neither enforces nor encourages this.
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by Omolola1(f): 12:02pm On Dec 14, 2010
Nope, insurance is better
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by swiftycool(m): 1:55pm On Dec 14, 2010
@Lola, i trust u my sista, traditional insurance abi! no wonder 190 go forever dey mumu 4 u whereva he goes. Lol
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by Wislet(f): 3:59pm On Dec 14, 2010
swiftycool:

@Lola, i trust u my sista, traditional insurance abi! no wonder 190 go forever dey mumu 4 u whereva he goes. Lol
he he he he he! :-D
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by livedit(f): 4:13pm On Dec 14, 2010
deniyor:

1. Having a backup means you are not fully committed to either relationship. Why will you bother expending your energy making it work when you can just move on to the next one.
2. It is totally unfair on the backup option. How would you feel if you were a backup option?
3. If the original relationship fails, you go for the backup. That means you don't care for your backup option. Why would anyone want to be second choice.
4. Very likely, the backup option will not know he/she is a backup option. Dishonesty / Deceit is never a good foundation for relationships.
5. It is cheating. If you are sleeping with both of them, just plain disgusting. If you are sleeping with only one, you have to keep one emotionally satisfied somehow. Emotional cheating right there.

Excellent! My thoughts exactly. I feel, if you need a "back-up", then WHY are YOU in a relationship? Another poster mentioned everyone is "hard wired" to go from person to person, that couldn't be more further from the truth. I'm VERY loyal to my partner even when my past relationships cheated on me. I'm just a one man woman. I give my man my full un-divided attention and get the same in return. I guess you can call me selfish, because I do NOT share my man with any other female. Ever!! (Romantically that is, Lol)
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by IDareU: 4:24pm On Dec 14, 2010
license to cheat, hehehehehehe

But most women do IMO angry angry angry
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by orbaxy(m): 4:29pm On Dec 14, 2010
evolution of values and standards. Sadly, it has become stealth to our conscience. It's so sad.
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by deniyor: 5:03pm On Dec 14, 2010
livedit:

Excellent! My thoughts exactly. I feel, if you need a "back-up", then WHY are YOU in a relationship? Another poster mentioned everyone is "hard wired" to go from person to person, that couldn't be more further from the truth. I'm VERY loyal to my partner even when my past relationships cheated on me. I'm just a one man woman. I give my man my full un-divided attention and get the same in return. I guess you can call me selfish, because I do NOT share my man with any other female. Ever!! (Romantically that is, Lol)

I agree with you 100%. If you are not satisfied with your relationship, or you feel the need for a back up, walk away from your relationship and go start a fresh one with someone else (or your intending backup).
A man will never trust a woman he stole / borrowed from another man.
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by MrCork23: 5:05pm On Dec 14, 2010
every good car has a spare tyre _ and YES U NEED A BACK UP. truss me!!! wink
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by deniyor: 5:23pm On Dec 14, 2010
Of course Mr Cork in the house. Mr Cork, do you like being the backup option?
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by Omolola1(f): 5:52pm On Dec 14, 2010
i guess so
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by CatDaddy: 5:56pm On Dec 14, 2010
deniyor:

Of course Mr Cork in the house. Mr Cork, do you like being the backup option?

Cat Daddy would be a better option actually! wink
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by Omolola1(f): 6:02pm On Dec 14, 2010
hmmn
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by dns(m): 6:10pm On Dec 14, 2010
well its not advice able to keep back up, for me because if you happens to find out that a girl/boy your going out with is only having you as a backup you will not be happy with your self not to talk of the person who is doing that to you so why care about doing it to some one else.
a gain if naturally your a cheat then you know your self as a cheat but think ahead of time if your the one some one else is cheating how will you feel so i think being stirate forward in a relationship is far better than having backup then later get backrupt
Re: Should One Have A Back-up While In A Relationship? by Phate07(m): 8:53am On Dec 15, 2010

One man, one wife! undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can U Share A Tooth Brush Wit A GF/BF? / Help Me Out Please. / Her Mum Wanted Me For Her But,...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.