Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,034 members, 7,863,700 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:25 AM

FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA (32121 Views)

Buhari’s $22.7 Billion Loan Spending Plan: $1.25bn For Abuja Rail, $500m For NTA / Vanguard Editorial Rejects $500m Loan For NTA / See The NTA That Lai Mohammed Wanted To Refurbish With $500m Loan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by bakescos01: 3:24pm On Feb 10, 2020
Officialgarri:

It's quite a shame on you to be among the people who affirms a belief that social media might have come too early to Nigeria.
Everyone child wants to comment even on matters they are totally ignorant about. What do you know about TV stations both analogue and digital? I mean can you even afford a TV set?

Did you and the 'first to comment crew' even try to read the report to the end? No. You just read "$500m" and then your adrenaline pushes you type whatever...

No doubt, the proposed social media regulation would have helped a lot.

Go to Quora or other educative websites and you'd see it will cost about $850m to setup a TV station. But you didn't even read the part where Lai said....

... the loan was aimed at establishing the media and culture industry centre at the cost of $245m, digitise all NTA stations at $11m and construct integrated television services to infuse on network, .......

Instead you were bent on making bold every letter you need to expose your ignorance.

A while ago, many people would scream about reformig NTA. The display is whack, their staff is this and that...... Here is a way out and then it's another complaint again

After reading my mentions, I still could see the reason why a white man's Twitter thrives better than Nairaland even within Nigeria. The old people outgrew here

Well, we currently have 12 centers in the country.

And one other person was asking me the use ; well, I'd ask you to make research yourself. But nevertheless, it's meant to promote, preserve your culture and also a means of job creation

Good analysis, why is this government not talking about borrowing that $500million and use it to build schools and school feedings for the 13.5m out of school children. This are going to be the new sect of terrorist if nothing is done. A country that has no peace can’t have any form of development. Education is the key to a successful future. But we want to use such huge amount of money on NTA that is suppose to be privatize and run itself and the other culture thing you mentioned.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by CSTR2: 3:27pm On Feb 10, 2020
MexManuel:

A while ago, many people would scream about reformig NTA. The display is whack, their staff is this and that...... Here is a way out and then it's another complaint again

After reading my mentions, I still could see the reason why a white man's Twitter thrives better than Nairaland even within Nigeria. The old people outgrew here
The Issues is loan is easy money. More money less efficiency.

What stops Lai Muhammed to think outside the box. NTA is already an established station. They should find out to release programs that can sustainably finance and develop the network.
On the other hand, NTA isn't the only TV station in Nigeria. So if all other avenue for higher revenue proves abortive, the next thing Lai should consider is merging with a thriving private TV network. Work the TV station hard, meet the requirement and go back to an improved independent national station.

As they say, easy money dosen't allow people to think.
The solution is simple.
Sack all the management and production staffs.

Go to UK and America, and do a NTA recruitment fair for Nigerians in journalism and the arts to come and contribute to their country and infuse progressive blood into it.
That is all.

Access bank do it all the time.

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Ebenezar2020(m): 3:28pm On Feb 10, 2020
ebuk4real:
sad

Mark my word: by the time APC FG government are done in 2023, the money they would have borrowed in their 8years will be triple of what the PDP has borrowed in their 16years of bad governance.

In summary: the APC motto remains 'the more we look, the less we see'.

Scammers!!!
you're ignorant

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Eborty(m): 3:29pm On Feb 10, 2020
JasonScoolari:
Are we not saying the same thing here? Or you lack comprehension?

Whether the loan was aimed to resurrect Mungo Park, or Sani Abacha,

A large chunk of the borrowed money will be diverted to their Bank Account.... This same government you glorify stylishly is 10x more corrupt than any government in Nigeria.

Do have a lovely day at your grave Ancestors.
I don't know if you will ever appreciate goods news. Instead of you focusing your mindset on the brighter side of this loan, whereas you choose to ignore it and act like a mere child. Be positive and hope something good will be acheive from it. HOPE! HOPE!! HOPE!!!. I wonder why it is so hard to accommodate it, post like yours is what makes our growing children to stick with such ill mindset. Then it amaze if this mindset will tolerate goodnews...!!!
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Eborty(m): 3:33pm On Feb 10, 2020
bakescos01:

Good analysis, why is this government not talking about borrowing that $500million and use it to build schools and school feedings for the 13.5m out of school children. This are going to be the new sect of terrorist if nothing is done. A country that has no peace can’t have any form of development. Education is the key to a successful future. But we want to use such huge amount of money on NTA that is suppose to be privatize and run itself and the other culture thing you mentioned.
please, can someone explain to this my friend who or what ministry is asking for the loan. Your post should be directed to somewhere else like the ministry of education. Thanks
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by sapientia(m): 3:37pm On Feb 10, 2020
And NTA have generated how much exactly.

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by bakescos01: 3:38pm On Feb 10, 2020
Eborty:
please, can someone explain to this my friend who or what ministry is asking for the loan. Your post should be directed to somewhere else like the ministry of education. Thanks

So, when the loan is borrowed who is paying it back ? Is it the ministry of information and culture that will be paying the money back ? Nigerians are paying the money back and if we have to borrow and pay back then it has to be something that will make more impact on the general populace of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by lexy2014: 3:41pm On Feb 10, 2020
Eborty:
I don't know if you will ever appreciate goods news. Instead of you focusing your mindset on the brighter side of this loan, whereas you choose to ignore it and act like a mere child. Be positive and hope something good will be acheive from it. HOPE! HOPE!! HOPE!!!. I wonder why it is so hard to accommodate it, post like yours is what makes our growing children to stick with such ill mindset. Then it amaze if this mindset will tolerate goodnews...!!!

How does a persons positivity help d govt use a $500m loan judiciously? How does a persons negativity prevent d govt from judiciously using a $500m loan?

2 Likes

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by SavonEric: 3:41pm On Feb 10, 2020
[s]
Ebenezar2020:
you're ignorant
[/s]
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by emkz: 3:44pm On Feb 10, 2020
festacman:
With network of stations across Nigeria, Nigeria Television Authority should be a self-financing CASHCOW rather than a subvention-dependent sick cow. World class equipment and digitization would do little if the current NTA is not restructured. My suggestions:

- The first step in upgrading our good old NTA is to do a SWOT analysis of the Network and then articulate a self-sustaining business plan and matching business model, which stakeholders including NASS members should view and assess. Anything less than this means the loan money will be frittered away if approved. So, no PLAN or clear roadmap, no approval.

- Second step is to retain mainstream NTA News channel as public service station linking government to the people but with mandate to staff to be more dynamic rather than conservative.

- Third step is to create a number of Strategic Business Units (SBUs) out the existing network, which will service specific market segments as purely PROFIT CENTRES to be run by separate Managements and right staff size of dynamic professionals. Such SBUs all under NTA Board can be sports channel, entertainment and life style channel, live events channel, NTA television college, etc

If JAMB is now a revenue centre, what stops NTA from doing better?

Great intervention bros. Before all these, NTA needs to be partly privatized. Government needs to own 36% shares while 64% can be sold. That way, the public has a say in the running of NTA. If the management knows they'd be removed if the shareholders don't get their returns, they'd sit up.

Also, FG must pay the NTA for live coverage of non-governmental activities like campaign rallies and lousy dinners, and all activities exceeding 1 hour.

As for the money Lai is asking for, why can't they get it from the TSA?

PS: Media is very profitable, if its a lie, ask Channels, TVC, Thisday and Linda Ikeji. Government part-privatising NTA should also be applied to NNPC and the railway corporation. Imagine DANGOTE, Indimi and Samuel Adedoyin having a stake in NNPC....
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by SavonEric: 3:45pm On Feb 10, 2020
[s]
Officialgarri:

You need to learn to read slowly and understand. Kindly point out where I said Quora was built with millions of dollars?

If $11 is too much, kindly give an estimate of what would do the job angry

Or do you guys think it's just a one station? It's all stations in Nigeria with standard equipments..
[/s]
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by nwaimoroseyaho: 3:48pm On Feb 10, 2020
How much revenue will it be generating to the country? Have you asked CNN who they raised money to digitalize theirs?

Mr Lia Mohammed if you inherited NTA would you put in your personal $500m to digitalize it?

2 Likes

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Eborty(m): 3:50pm On Feb 10, 2020
bakescos01:

So, when the loan is borrowed who is paying it back ? Is it the ministry of information and culture that will be paying the money back ? Nigerians are paying the money back and if we have to borrow and pay back then it has to be something that will make more impact on the general populace of Nigeria.
I admire your sense of reasoning for it is good, according to the news text above, it was stated clearly the amount realized from last year period. The ministry of information is self proving, judging with our music and movies industries that seems to be yielding good results from the likes of wizkid, davido etc. So imagine what happens when we broadcast digital.
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Comedian2019: 3:52pm On Feb 10, 2020
A liar is likely to be a thief.
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by COMPAQ(m): 3:52pm On Feb 10, 2020
festacman:
With network of stations across Nigeria, Nigeria Television Authority should be a self-financing CASHCOW rather than a subvention-dependent sick cow. World class equipment and digitization would do little if the current NTA is not restructured. My suggestions:

- The first step in upgrading our good old NTA is to do a SWOT analysis of the Network and then articulate a self-sustaining business plan and matching business model, which stakeholders including NASS members should view and assess. Anything less than this means the loan money will be frittered away if approved. So, no PLAN or clear roadmap, no approval.

- Second step is to retain mainstream NTA News channel as public service station linking government to the people but with mandate to staff to be more dynamic rather than conservative.

- Third step is to create a number of Strategic Business Units (SBUs) out the existing network, which will service specific market segments as purely PROFIT CENTRES to be run by separate Managements and right staff size of dynamic professionals. Such SBUs all under NTA Board can be sports channel, entertainment and life style channel, live events channel, NTA television college, etc

I totally agree with you!! If Channels, TVC, Ebony Life are thriving, profitable outfits, I don't see why NTA cannot do same. Left to me give NTA a marching order to be self sufficient over a 3-5 year term, so much so that salaries will ONLY be paid from internal revenue and see people sit up.

We have a number of government agencies that should be self governing and self funding. All that is required is to give the Board and executive free hand to execute i.e no approvals from the Ministry. If they cannot pay their own salaries, then they have to let people go, simple!!

Nigerian Minting Company
Nigerian Postal Services etc are agencies/parastatals that should be funding their own operations. Let them go and market for business. Nigerian minting should be able to produce security documents for companies, cheques for banks etc and make money. The main thing that keeps these companies down is the control of their ministries. To spend N10mln for maintenance/upgrade, they need approval of FEC, which takes 3 months to come through. And even when approval is given, money is not released for another 6 months. How can any business run effectively that way?
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:53pm On Feb 10, 2020
Oga Lai, Kai!! Fear God na
If you already have the technology and manpower to be at par with CNN, what do you now need $500m for? Abi na spiritual configuration?
And how can $11m make NTA at per with a multi-billion dollars CNN, which kind magic be dat?
WTF is culture centre that will cost $245m? Se CNN get dat one too?

Truth is this government just want to borrow to bridge the revenue gap they consistently have since they came in. No serious infrastructural development or national development strategy in mind. All the projects they are executing are legacy PDP projects which have been negotiated and signed with the Chinese govt before they came on board.

Another name for Buhari and crew is simply INCOMPETENCE!! angry angry

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by edoairways: 3:54pm On Feb 10, 2020
festacman:

Love your comment
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by PHijo(m): 3:54pm On Feb 10, 2020
ebuk4real:
sad

Mark my word: by the time APC FG government are done in 2023, the money they would have borrowed in their 8years will be triple of what the PDP has borrowed in their 16years of bad governance.

In summary: the APC motto remains 'the more we look, the less we see'.

Scammers!!!

You don't have to wait that long!
It is already triple that figure.

2 Likes

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Agboriotejoye(m): 3:58pm On Feb 10, 2020
COMPAQ:

I totally agree with you!! If Channels, TVC, Ebony Life are thriving, profitable outfits, I don't see why NTA cannot do same. Left to me give NTA a marching order to be self sufficient over a 3-5 year term, so much so that salaries will ONLY be paid from internal revenue and see people sit up.

We have a number of government agencies that should be self governing and self funding. All that is required is to give the Board and executive free hand to execute i.e no approvals from the Ministry. If they cannot pay their own salaries, then they have to let people go, simple!!

That was how NTA was during the time of Murray-Bruce. The rot started during the time of Yar'adua and till now, it's been like dat.
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by bejeria101(m): 3:59pm On Feb 10, 2020
Who watches NTA?

1 Like

Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by festacman(m): 4:00pm On Feb 10, 2020
emkz:

Great intervention bros. Before all these, NTA needs to be partly privatized. Government needs to own 36% shares while 64% can be sold. That way, the public has a say in the running of NTA. If the management knows they'd be removed if the shareholders don't get their returns, they'd sit up.

Also, FG must pay the NTA for live coverage of non-governmental activities like campaign rallies and lousy dinners, and all activities exceeding 1 hour.

As for the money Lai is asking for, why can't they get it from the TSA?

PS: Media is very profitable, if its a lie, ask Channels, TVC, Thisday and Linda Ikeji. Government part-privatising NTA should also be applied to NNPC and the railway corporation. Imagine DANGOTE, Indimi and Samuel Adedoyin having a stake in NNPC....

I agree totally.
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:00pm On Feb 10, 2020
Eborty:
I admire your sense of reasoning for it is good, according to the news text above, it was stated clearly the amount realized from last year period. The ministry of information is self proving, judging with our music and movies industries that seems to be yielding good results from the likes of wizkid, davido etc. So imagine what happens when we broadcast digital.

When did NTA ever show a WIzkid or Davido video?

You actually believe all those figures are raw cash lying somewhere in the ministry's account?
You need to get woke mehn.
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by edoairways: 4:00pm On Feb 10, 2020
Officialgarri please read festacman comment on the first page. This last time digest it very well
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by festacman(m): 4:01pm On Feb 10, 2020
COMPAQ:

Nigerian Minting Company
Nigerian Postal Services etc are agencies/parastatals that should be funding their own operations. Let them go and market for business. Nigerian minting should be able to produce security documents for companies, cheques for banks etc and make money. The main thing that keeps these companies down is the control of their ministries. To spend N10mln for maintenance/upgrade, they need approval of FEC, which takes 3 months to come through. And even when approval is given, money is not released for another 6 months. How can any business run effectively that way?

Seconded. New ways of doing things needed.
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by festacman(m): 4:02pm On Feb 10, 2020
edoairways:

Love your comment

Thanks.
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by eagleu: 4:02pm On Feb 10, 2020
festacman:

Very good!
Unfortunately, corruption is their motivation for the loan not actual improvement.
Borrowing a zillion dollars without changing style and management is not going to make any difference, and they know it.
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by edoairways: 4:03pm On Feb 10, 2020
lilfrancis100:
$500million??
Use that money and buy at least 3 foot ball clubs (1 in Spain division 2, 1 in Belgian first division and another in French league) then lets Nigerian soccer talents play there.... That way we would have achieved more publicity than the one this Lai Muhammad is promising us...............
Why invest in foreign league especially in Europe when ours in seeking assistance?
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:04pm On Feb 10, 2020
Eborty:
Kindly tell us the brighter side
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by COMPAQ(m): 4:05pm On Feb 10, 2020
meanwhile every time we host U17, NTA claim they buy modern digital OB van's, but they have never been able to show any Nigerian local football match. Yet now they want to digitalise again. How many times in 20 years There was U-21 Nigeria '99, then U-17 Nigeria '09, then Nations Cup '00, then All Africa games '05.

Where are all these OB vans and 'modern' equipment?
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by edoairways: 4:06pm On Feb 10, 2020
Neoteny:
They should just scrap NTA and allow private broadcast networks take over.

There's never gonna be any attractive content on NTA as long as those old dinosaurs remain in charge of content production.

It's not enough to go digital, original and innovative content matters.

All those stupid programs on NTA ain't gonna look any better in 4k digital, hell it'll look worse when you start seeing nose hairs and pimples with the same shitty writing, bad lighting, terrible backdrops, choppy editing, messed up audio, and general bad presentation.
SABC South Africa is still been run by the government
Re: FG To Borrow $500m To Digitalize NTA by Agboriotejoye(m): 4:07pm On Feb 10, 2020
Officialgarri:

It's quite a shame on you to be among the people who affirms a belief that social media might have come too early to Nigeria.
Everyone child wants to comment even on matters they are totally ignorant about. What do you know about TV stations both analogue and digital? I mean can you even afford a TV set?

Did you and the 'first to comment crew' even try to read the report to the end? No. You just read "$500m" and then your adrenaline pushes you type whatever...

No doubt, the proposed social media regulation would have helped a lot.

Go to Quora or other educative websites and you'd see it will cost about $850m to setup a TV station. But you didn't even read the part where Lai said....

... the loan was aimed at establishing the media and culture industry centre at the cost of $245m, digitise all NTA stations at $11m and construct integrated television services to infuse on network, .......

Instead you were bent on making bold every letter you need to expose your ignorance.

Well, we currently have 12 centers in the country.

And one other person was asking me the use ; well, I'd ask you to make research yourself. But nevertheless, it's meant to promote, preserve your culture and also a means of job creation
You seem to know so much. Kindly tell us what the media and culture industry centre does to warrant half of the loan. You can also educate us how $11m digitalization will change NTA to CNN.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rauf Olaniyan Impeached As Oyo Deputy Governor / Imo Youths Celebrate Buhari At 75 / Ize-Iyamu To Obaseki: How Much Dollars Did You Pay PDP For Governorship Ticket?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.