Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,408 members, 7,954,622 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:07 AM

ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee (23135 Views)

President Akufo-Addo Speaks On Nigeria Border Closure / Nigeria’s Border Closure Hits Hard On India, Thailand Others / Ghana Resorts To Diplomacy To Get Nigeria Border Opened (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by simhosting: 7:02am On Feb 12, 2020
One day, i go better
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by afemgbosey(m): 7:06am On Feb 12, 2020
Border closure the way I see it :

Repetition of Buhari's legacy. Immediately he came on board @ CHANGE, dollars was scarce cos he made it so. CBN however issues dollars @ridiculous discounted low price to the core North guys, making them billionaires overnight. I see that as repayment of electoral success support. @NEXT LEVEL, border closure affects only South & middle belt. Core North guys again have unfettered access to be SOLE 'importers' of so many commodities that you can think of ;including rice. We all know rice is extremely cheap in the north. That is another group of sudden northern billionaires..

I may be wrong, but that is MY opinion, not yours. If yours is different, say it & don't castigate mine. If you support it, does that feed me?

I don't care.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Jamarii: 7:07am On Feb 12, 2020
[s]
FrLukas:
Nigeria- a dumping site for all kind of goods, from substandard and fake goods to totally harmful products and byproducts.

Unfortunately, such activities are initiated and aided by her own citizens, including the officers tasked with border control.
[/s]
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by DarkJeddi(m): 7:11am On Feb 12, 2020
nony43:
Biko, someone should tell me the head and the tail of this border closure, cos the cost of buying a bag of local rice is still expensive, insecurity is still on the high side. This border closure some people are benefitting from it monetarily
Rice is not grown OVERNIGHT.

Give it time and it will be lucrative enough for more farmers to go into it..

Rome was not built in a day..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Blindersoff: 7:12am On Feb 12, 2020
ECOWAS is wasting their time. There is an existing legal agreement between Nigeria and some ECOWAS countries regarding bringing in goods and services through our borders and the clause contained in this document when agreed demands from Nigeria are not met include CLOSURE OF THE BORDER.

It is this agreement that Nigeria is enforcing and until those countries captured in the agreement meet up with what was originally agreed, Nigeria reserves the right to keep the borders closed against them.

They can use the air ports to do their business

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by mvem(m): 7:18am On Feb 12, 2020
TommyAnthem:
Border closure my ass, yet boko haram and Iswap are receiving arms and ammunitions from across the border.
so why is ECOWAS complaining

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Okoroawusa: 7:25am On Feb 12, 2020
northvietnam:
Until the northern border is totally shut down toattaly.. then we go know say bubu serious
I can understand that you don't know where it is located but the southern border is not "totally shut down toattaly"
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Fragility6: 7:30am On Feb 12, 2020
Riele:
Ecowas should stay out of this .

Nigeria needs to close that border well . It'll go a long way to correct our balance of payment problems .
Border dey closed since last year wat has it done to the economy? Prices of local products still having the same price as foreign. No really trust diz buhari govt. On d surface dey say sumtin while underneath the real motive is hidden. U might call me a pessimist bt rememba diz same president said he would be taking a cut from his salary wen e entas power,spending govt. funds would be less n oda rubbish he said. My brodas n sistas, since i was born n now am getting old i am yet 2 see d salary e reduced. E even travel pass OBJ, Yar'adua n Goodluck togeda. Mr Integrity led guy
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Okoroawusa: 7:30am On Feb 12, 2020
SoNature:

Even though everyone is rejoicing because of the impact it has on Nigeria's economy, I don't consider this a smart move. Imagine if all the countries we sell our goods to shut down their borders in retaliation.

If Buhari feels that there's too much smuggling into Nigeria, it means that the customs is not doing its job. Yes, it is an internal problem, so it should be sorted out in-house.

Notice that there are Nigerian businesses that export through the land borders, and they are out of business now. This means that when the border is finally reopened, their customers would have sourced for other reliable suppliers.

Again, the solution is not closing the border. Apparently, Nigerian customs is the problem and should be reformed with many officers with questionable characters laid off.

Buhari has been a bundle of disappointment because if Sunday Ehindero could stop the police from collecting roadside bribe in his time as IG, Buhari can sanitize the customs.

It's very annoying that Buhari hasn't been able to "clean up" one institution of government even though he tells us that he is fighting corruption.
Long beautiful nonsense you just typed

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Fragility6: 7:33am On Feb 12, 2020
SoNature:

Even though everyone is rejoicing because of the impact it has on Nigeria's economy, I don't consider this a smart move. Imagine if all the countries we sell our goods to shut down their borders in retaliation.

If Buhari feels that there's too much smuggling into Nigeria, it means that the customs is not doing its job. Yes, it is an internal problem, so it should be sorted out in-house.

Notice that there are Nigerian businesses that export through the land borders, and they are out of business now. This means that when the border is finally reopened, their customers would have sourced for other reliable suppliers.

Again, the solution is not closing the border. Apparently, Nigerian customs is the problem and should be reformed with many officers with questionable characters laid off.

Buhari has been a bundle of disappointment because if Sunday Ehindero could stop the police from collecting roadside bribe in his time as IG, Buhari can sanitize the customs.

It's very annoying that Buhari hasn't been able to "clean up" one institution of government even though he tells us that he is fighting corruption.
Which impact has it made in our economy? Oga all na audio impact dem dey giv una. Upon d VAT wateva dey increased dey will still tell u next year dat we are not fully out of recession. Were ar all d money going to...Mtcheew
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by rotile247(m): 7:34am On Feb 12, 2020
Riele:
Ecowas should stay out of this .

Nigeria needs to close that border well . It'll go a long way to correct our balance of payment problems .

ECOWAS is not useful to Nigeria rather it's a parasite.
We hardly produce here despite having the local market and population hence other African countries even outside ECOWAS are dumping goods on us free of charge using ECOWAS free trade and movement as disguise.

Nigeria needs to pull out from ECOWAS since our borders will remain shut for the foreseeable future which will save us some unnecessary cost in maintaining ECOWAS as Nigeria contributes 40.9% ($710milliin out of $1.736 billion) of the budget which is more than what 13 other countries contribute altogether as at 2018 (source: Premiumtimes 6 Dec 2018).

Nigeria needs to cut costs now, pull out from ECOWAS now.

4 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Area4Area: 7:37am On Feb 12, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

You guys claimed border closure will bring down the price of rice, curb insecurity and improve the economy.
Kindly tell us which of the above has occurred since august.

None of you zombies have talked about port congestion which is ravaging apapa and tin can ports.
In cases like this, there are winners and losers, what counts is which outweighs the other.
Our farmers and manufacturers are strongly winning while smugglers and well to be sincere, few manufacturers are losing, still a win-win for us. Any serious exporter can use the seaports

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Nobody: 7:38am On Feb 12, 2020
omorihi1:
nice one,many business and women had lost their jobs because of border closure .

You mean smugglers

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Area4Area: 7:40am On Feb 12, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

This is a good head. You just wonder how dull most people are in Nigeria. No wonder our leader is lifeless. At the start of this border closure, so many gains were touted which have all turned out to audio gains.
Fuel subsidy is still high.
Insecurity is at its worst.
Local rice production has not been boosted.
Worst still, inflation has hit the roof which has worsened the economy.
You ain't the PRO of Nigerians, most are happy because of the closure so why are you so pained?

3 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Kokoebapluse(m): 7:40am On Feb 12, 2020
Abi aye ecowas febaje ni? ,Did ecowas not hearing about coronavirus? It's not only Nigeria need to close the border but all Africa, we need protection right now not money.
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Area4Area: 7:42am On Feb 12, 2020
2cul2care:
When I see some peoples comment on this border closure of a thing it makes me wonder, those of you supporting the border closure, do u really think any nation can survive on its own, without the help of other nations, no nation is self sufficient, even AMERICA WORLD POWER can't survive on its own without help from other nations.

The same way goods are being imported into NIGERIA is the same way we also export goods to other nations, so when we are unable to export our own products aren't we loosing too.

If Buhari claims he closed the border because of smuggling then my question is, the custom officers at the border what exactly are they doing, are they there to fry Akara, if our customs do their job their will be no case of smuggling.

Buttom line is our president and the goverment in general doesn't give a damn about us, if u don't already know that by now, I really don't know what to say to u.

Just imagine Lai Mohammed wants to borrow $500m to upgrade NTA a channel nobody watches anymore, a channel that has stopped being relevant since the 90's, with all our debts they still want to plunge the country into more debt and worsen the economic situation.

[b][/b]SERIOUSLY DO THE MATH, AND REASON FOR YOURSELF
Nigeria didn't shut herself in, point of correction.
We have our airports and seaports and any serious trader can use them

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:49am On Feb 12, 2020
Area4Area:
You ain't the PRO of Nigerians, most are happy because of the closure so why are you so pained?
PRO kini?
I didn't ask you about the state of mind if Nigerians. I asked you if the border closure has achieved what you guys said it will. Lean to understand before giving a response. Don't be itchy fingered.
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:53am On Feb 12, 2020
Area4Area:
In cases like this, there are winners and losers, what counts is which outweighs the other.
Our farmers and manufacturers are strongly winning while smugglers and well to be sincere, few manufacturers are losing, still a win-win for us. Any serious exporter can use the seaports
Show us facts that manufacturers are winning.
I asked about inflation, insecurity and subsidy.
If the ports are congested as reported, kindly tell us how serious exporters can make use of it?

From the above, only rice farmers have "gained" while the rest of the popular populace are battling inflation, ports congestion, corruption at the borders. I hope you can weigh properly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:55am On Feb 12, 2020
Blindersoff:
ECOWAS is wasting their time. There is an existing legal agreement between Nigeria and some ECOWAS countries regarding bringing in goods and services through our borders and the clause contained in this document when agreed demands from Nigeria are not met include CLOSURE OF THE BORDER.

It is this agreement that Nigeria is enforcing and until those countries captured in the agreement meet up with what was originally agreed, Nigeria reserves the right to keep the borders closed against them.

They can use the air ports to do their business
What do we have customs for?
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Nobody: 7:56am On Feb 12, 2020
when is this Lovely baba going to attend meeting in China? we need Chinese investors
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Agboriotejoye(m): 7:59am On Feb 12, 2020
payperpost:
when is this Lovely baba going to attend meeting in China? we need Chinese investors
Lol grin
Bahdt guy
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Jancy606(f): 8:03am On Feb 12, 2020
[quote author=Area4Area post=86578621]In cases like this, there are winners and losers, what counts is which outweighs the other.
Our farmers and manufacturers are strongly winning while smugglers and well to be sincere, few manufacturers are losing, still a win-win for us. Any serious exporter can use the seaports[/quote
What about the goods that are incurring dumurrage in millions.you are aware that people’s goods are packed there since then.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by AgentNairaland(f): 8:05am On Feb 12, 2020
Bubu Don Throw The Key Inside Konji River
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by stevups(m): 8:06am On Feb 12, 2020
post=86577034:
*They said we are the poverty capital of the world.
Our Darling President decided that we should just close our poverty stricken borders to the outside world so that we can manage on our own.
Suddenly, scarcity hits Benin republic, Togo, Niger.
Demonstration hits Ghana. Vietnam, Thailand and other envoys all came calling.*
*Their economy depends on our poverty.

They are begging the most corrupt nation on Earth to do business with them.
They have no buyers for their commodity.
In our neighbors domain, scarcity have hit them hard.*

It turned out they need us more than we need them.
We have all it takes to stand alone as a nation.
All we need is a plan and a willing leader.

God bless Nigeria*

��������
��������

Good one on this border closure by the FG.

At the end of it all, SANE Nigerians will enjoy all the benefits.

A drastic change requires a drastic solution.

WE continue to STAND WITH THE BORDER CLOSURE,
It is for the good of all sane, honest and hardworking Nigerians.

Again, God bless Nigeria.

Correct niggarrr.
You are mouthed!
Cheers!!

Correct guy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by bromen: 8:20am On Feb 12, 2020
karma meet up with you guys nigeria by the america visa ban(indirectly america closed their border against you). wait this just the beginning. and by you guys focusing more on america removing the ban on you reather than removing the indirect ban you placed on your family and race. more countries are coming for you to ban you annoying country.
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by foreshore(m): 8:21am On Feb 12, 2020
Sunofgod:
Waste of time....Buhari no fit read report.

Correct but aside that Nigeria runs the rule in ECOWAS just as America in the UN
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by nature4c: 8:23am On Feb 12, 2020
Pls Let them open it pooh. Ecowas make sure u follow up this issues of border closure. Let them bring up some necessary measure that can boster our Economy.
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by blackbone989(m): 8:25am On Feb 12, 2020
I wonder if the border is truly closed cus I still buy foreign rice 22k n turkey dey for my area Wella. It was last year that the border was closed. This year those army n mopol are bringing it Wella. When last did u hear custom intercept xyz? It was all initial gragra

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Blindersoff: 8:26am On Feb 12, 2020
Agboriotejoye:

What do we have customs for?

So because we have customs other nations should keep exploiting us?

I guess US customs and immigration are also non existent yet Trump chose to build his wall cutting off Mexico.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by bromen: 8:27am On Feb 12, 2020
law of karma is visiting you guys in form of american visa ban. maybe more countries will ban you then you come crawling back. but I may be joking
Re: ECOWAS Challenges Nigeria’s Border Closure, Sets Up Committee by Agboriotejoye(m): 8:34am On Feb 12, 2020
Blindersoff:

So because we have customs other nations should keep exploiting us?

I guess US customs and immigration are also non existent yet Trump chose to build his wall cutting off Mexico.
The wall is not cutting off Mexico. It's to curb illegal entry via the porous areas. The walls have gates through which anyone can enter legally.
We could try that too.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos Thugs Impose N100 Levy On Individuals Using Yaba Pedestrian Bridge / Buhari Appoints Tolu Ogunlesi As His SA On Digital/New Media / Ebonyi Ring Road Project, A Dream Come True

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.