Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,452 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:09 PM

Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa (33830 Views)

INEC Replies Oshiomhole: We Obeyed Supreme Court On Bayelsa Like We Did On Imo / We Will Comply With Supreme Court Judgement On Bayelsa — INEC / INEC's Press Release On Bayelsa And Kogi Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by fergie001: 11:04pm On Feb 15, 2020
Divinalss:
They should have just disqualified the Deputy and ban him from public offices instead of removing the man that won 75% of the total vote cast.

Let me ask a question here, what if the deputy dies before swearing in. ...what happens?
Death isn't a basis for disqualification.

Its law that It is a joint ticket. One is roped to the other. What affects the gov-elect affects the dep-gov-elect, same as President-Elect/VP-elect.

If it's death, the law allows for substitution with another candidate.
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Sexycardib: 11:10pm On Feb 15, 2020
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Dansuqi: 11:12pm On Feb 15, 2020
fergie001:

I think they were charmed.

Apologies to stupid people, they can't even do something as silly as this.
That is why i blamed the apc hierarchy.dropping ssce alone would have stopped all these
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by cckalima: 11:15pm On Feb 15, 2020
Alanpoza007:

You're a kid I don't need to banter words with. You're shouting minimum. Does a degree from a Nigerian University exist in isolation. JAMB publishes brochures yearly that explicitly state admission requirements for each University because they know blockheads like you and the types who ill-advised Degi will try to explain away commonsense. I don't blame you though. I brought myself to your lowly level to exchange words with an idiot like you.
extreme,you dont go that far bros
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by mushystuff: 11:18pm On Feb 15, 2020
Dansuqi:

Is discrepancies now a crime or fundamental enough to prove forgery? Is pointing out same as proving beyond reasonable doubt
Discrepancies of such a fundamental nature amount to fraud and forgery. Why are you very careful in making sure that your name appears as is in your passport especially when you apply for a Visa?

2 Likes

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Dansuqi: 11:20pm On Feb 15, 2020
mushystuff:

Discrepancies of such a fundamental nature amount to fraud and forgery. Why are you very careful in making sure that your name appears as is in your passport especially when you apply for a Visa?
What does the constitution and evidence act provides for as the standard for proving forgery
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:20pm On Feb 15, 2020
fergie001:

I think they were charmed.

Apologies to stupid people, they can't even do something as silly as this.

I suspect "Degi" might enter the Nigerian lingo as a word/name for the absolutely retard3d

1 Like

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by NGpatriot: 11:21pm On Feb 15, 2020
As Nigerians, we get too political and tribalistic that we miss the bigger picture. We encounter the same electoral issues all the time and instead of asking questions like how did we get here, we get political and send the lames and accountability elsewhere.

We gave billions to INEC to conduct elections, but most of the results are appealed, reversed or canceled based on INEC avoidable irregularities and incompetence.

If INEC can not authenticate simple documents or clarify names or even reject candidates based on multiple names or name changes or even prevent from contesting to protect elections and foster electoral credibility, they we need to scrap INEC.

INEC is the root of our electoral woes and the electorates are the sad beneficiaries of INEC's incompetence and corrupt collusion with politicians.

The courts shouldn't be throwing our the people's votes just because of other people's incompetence and corrupt behavior and if they can not order fresh elections, they should just stop accepting election related cases.

The courts are also part of the corrupt electoral process.
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by mushystuff: 11:24pm On Feb 15, 2020
Dansuqi:

What does the constitution and evidence act provides for as the standard for proving forgery

Standard of proof is beyond reasonable doubt. PDP achieved that by showing the oddity of different names on different certificates yet claimed by one man and failure to use proper procedure for effecting corrections if names are claimed to have been mistaken.

Degi and his team were not able to disprove those facts and they are bound by them. The court is therefore convinced beyond all reasonable doubt that the certificates bear evidence of forgery.
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Advancedman(m): 11:26pm On Feb 15, 2020
Citytrend:
Some will never agree with the Ruling no matter how obvious the Evidence.

Abeg joo, I will Design a Professional Logo for your Company or Product For 2k Only. Offer valid Today Only. See my info below to Chat me

Different affidavits in one day.
When on his own knowing he wants to pursue political career he should have do a name harmonising and perfect such through a legal firm not roadside agbero affidavit.
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Divinalss: 11:27pm On Feb 15, 2020
fergie001:

Death isn't a basis for disqualification.

Its law that It is a joint ticket. One is roped to the other. What affects the gov-elect affects the dep-gov-elect, same as President-Elect/VP-elect.

If it's death, the law allows for substitution with another candidate.

Was it not the same Supreme Court that nullified the Bauchi state election in 1999 because the running mate of Adamu Muazu wasn't qualified to partake in that election, why didn't they adopt their judgement in 1999?? My brother if you are not in Bayelsa don't talk. Bayelsans are in deep pains. Bayelsa has been a pdp state since 1999 but we dumped partisan politics and we voted massively for Lyon. The blood of the old people who protested for their pension to be paid and got beaten by Dickson will visit this useless justices. ... Dickson spent 10billion naira to secure this judgement.

Some LGA's in Bayelsa are owing 12 months salary ..There are no street lights in yenagoa not to talk of other towns, poor electricity supply, no water, salaries are not paid in Time.
Pdp only won Dickson's LGA where there was massive electoral fraud and that of Diri's. Infact APC got 40% in Diri's LGA.

It may interest you to know that yenagoa is one way in one way out.. There are no roads not to talk of good roads. Right now some workers have been paid and others are not because sterling bank has seized some part of the state allocation claiming that the govt is owing them money.

My brothers a lot has been happening in Bayelsa for the past 8years my people have never had it so tough despite the fact that Dickson received more than N1.7 trillion in 8 years.
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:28pm On Feb 15, 2020
NGpatriot:
As Nigerians, we get too political and tribalistic that we miss the bigger picture. We encounter the same electoral issues all the time and instead of asking questions like how did we get here, we get political and send the lames and accountability elsewhere.

We gave billions to INEC to conduct elections, but most of the results are appealed, reversed or canceled based on INEC avoidable irregularities and incompetence.

If INEC can not authenticate simple documents or clarify names or even reject candidates based on multiple names or name changes or even prevent from contesting to protect elections and foster electoral credibility, they we need to scrap INEC.

INEC is the root of our electoral woes and the electorates are the sad beneficiaries of INEC's incompetence and corrupt collusion with politicians.

The courts shouldn't be throwing our the people's votes just because of other people's incompetence and corrupt behavior and if they can not order fresh elections, they should just stop accepting election related cases.

The courts are also part of the corrupt electoral process.

You again! you have come again abi, display your ignorance and stupidity? This matter was settled in a court case, details of which I cant remember, where it was determined that it is not the business of INEC to verify the authenticity of a candidate's documents. INEC's job is to make sure the document submitted meets the requirements.

INEC has said it many times even when GEJ was still president this matter came up, it is not their job but the job of the parties to verify candidates credentials. Anybody that feels a candidate is not qualified are encouraged to challenge in the courts but it is not INEC's business.

When you think about it, it makes sense, how many candidates can INEC realistically investigate in the time period etc etc.

1 Like

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Advancedman(m): 11:28pm On Feb 15, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Actually this further proves the judgment was very political

There's no evidence the certificates were
forged

No one came forward that the other names belonged to them

Forgery is a serious criminal case that needs to be proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Can you operate your bank account with such 4 different names when BVN the umpire?
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Advancedman(m): 11:33pm On Feb 15, 2020
Firstorderwizard:
The judgement is very clear. Even a primary school dropout will understand this

You don't even need school to ask him which is your name and for emphasis what is your name?
They should sue him for the time he spent as senator and he must return our money he collected during that period and INEC must pay for overturned of the people mandates for not doing thorough work.

1 Like

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Feemmy(m): 11:34pm On Feb 15, 2020
isthatso:

Thank you. He even submitted primary school leaving certificate that nobody asked him for and this was one of the documents cited as a basis for the verdict of forgery.

He want us to Know he's well Educated.... Olodo

2 Likes

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Dansuqi: 11:45pm On Feb 15, 2020
mushystuff:

Standard of proof is beyond reasonable doubt. PDP achieved that by showing the oddity of different names on different certificates yet claimed by one man and failure to use proper procedure for effecting corrections if names are claimed to have been mistaken.

Degi and his team were not able to disprove those facts and they are bound by them. The court is therefore convinced beyond all reasonable doubt that the certificates bear evidence of forgery.
So that is the only evidence that can prove or satisfy the clause beyond reasonable doubt?
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Geeoriginal: 11:45pm On Feb 15, 2020
AreaFada2:

On evidence, they reasoned that someone vying for such a high office should be more consistent and trustworthy. Instead of trying to use various affidavits and unknown/unregistered notary public to justify names on certificates he's about to use at various times. Such discrepancies do not go well with the spirit of the law. He could easily have used a Deed Poll to change his names. That's more authentic as he can then use it to inform civil registry.

Fact is our system is not organised enough. Over 75% of people over 50 are probably guilty of incessant change of name, age declaration and such. If you examined older civil servants carefully, hardly anyone will go Scot free. Too much age reduction to stay longer in office.

Had PDP/Diri just argued that the certificates were not his, they might have lost. But the discrepancies were overwhelming.
Yours and lamgrees are most reasonable responses so far. The judgement did not prove that the documents didn't belong to him. According to page 16 of the posted judgement, the JSCs only reasoned that since the candidate was changing name incessantly, he must be fraudulent. To me, this is an opinion that was not proven. I am not a lawyer, but if there is no law that stipulates the number of times you can change your names, no crime has been committed. He can only be said to have committed a crime if any of those documents don't belong to him or if any was fraudulently obtained, the fact that was not proven.
That a fraud was committed should not be based on opinion but fact.
I also felt strongly that the court should not take away the right of the people to choose their leaders based on error of someone.
Though, the Imo judgment was deemed faulty, but the judgement says, Hope scored the highest number of votes.
Our electoral act needs urgent and serious revisit to address these issues. The Zamfara governor score less than 25% of votes casted, but he is the governor today. Those judgments are against and punish the people of the land and not just the candidates.

1 Like

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by fergie001: 11:48pm On Feb 15, 2020
Divinalss:

Was it not the same Supreme Court that nullified the Bauchi state election in 1999 because the running mate of Adamu Muazu wasn't qualified to partake in that election, why didn't they adopt their judgement in 1999?? My brother if you are not in Bayelsa don't talk. Bayelsans are in deep pains. Bayelsa has been a pdp state since 1999 but we dumped partisan politics and we voted massively for Lyon. The blood of the old people who protested for their pension to be paid and got beaten by Dickson will visit this useless justices. ... Dickson spent 10billion naira to secure this judgement.

Some LGA's in Bayelsa are owing 12 months salary ..There are no street lights in yenagoa not to talk of other towns, poor electricity supply, no water, salaries are not paid in Time.
Pdp only won Dickson's LGA where there was massive electoral fraud and that of Diri's. Infact APC got 40% in Diri's LGA.

The law was apt. If you see even the APC bigwigs have subscribed to the judgement, because that's the right judgement.

I know how the elections went and I know Diri massively lost. But the law is the law. I know about bad governance, I am from Abia..Do you think we are doing better than you guyz?

I have spent time in Yenagoa...even during the protests I could see the roads from the pictures...come to Abia and see what bad governance is? If that judgement was given in Abia....crooked or not....Abia would have filled the streets with joy. So, I know about bad governance but the law is the law. The judgement was right.

It is the APC and Lyon that should shoulder the blames for fielding a nonentity to spoil Bayelsa's liberation.

Laws do change, as a result of facts available. We have long gone from the Mu'azu's time because the amended act says you cannot be running for a Gov without a running mate.

In 1999, it wasn't like that....That was why Atiku had already won his governorship in Adamawa before Obasanjo picked him as deputy. Will it happen now? never.

So the issue of Mu'azu and Kaulaha Aliyu in 1999 was correct at the time... but with the amended act now, cannot work.
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by fergie001: 11:51pm On Feb 15, 2020
Geeoriginal:

Not exactly true Sir.

In Nigeria, there is a process for change of name. You have no right to change your name at will and present same without following the deeds process for change of name, and reconciling same.

That's where he missed it. There was nothing he showed to back up his "change of name". He was wrong and law was right.
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:52pm On Feb 15, 2020
Geeoriginal:

Yours and lamgrees are most reasonable responses so far. The judgement did not prove that the documents didn't belong to him. According to page 16 of the posted judgement, the JSCs only reasoned that since the candidate was changing name incessantly, he must be fraudulent. To me, this is an opinion that was not proven. I am not a lawyer, but if there is no law that stipulates the number of times you can change your names, no crime has been committed. He can only be said to have committed a crime if any of those documents don't belong to him or if any was fraudulently obtained, the fact that was not proven.
That a fraud was committed should not be based on opinion but fact.
I also felt strongly that the court should not take away the right of the people to choose their leaders based on error of someone.
Though, the Imo judgment was deemed faulty, but the judgement says, Hope scored the highest number of votes.
Our electoral act needs urgent and serious revisit to address these issues. The Zamfara governor score less than 25% of votes casted, but he is the governor today. Those judgments are against and punish the people of the land and not just the candidates.

Did you see the section where it says that he made a deposition/affidavit with a Notary public that is unknown?

1 Like

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by fergie001: 11:52pm On Feb 15, 2020
Dansuqi:

So that is the only evidence that can prove or satisfy the clause beyond reasonable doubt?
You know the process of change of name....

Did he meet it?

1 Like

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Dansuqi: 11:53pm On Feb 15, 2020
fergie001:

You know the process of change of name....

Did he meet it?
He had a sworn affidavit which is crucial
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by fergie001: 11:55pm On Feb 15, 2020
Advancedman:

You don't even need school to ask him which is your name and for emphasis what is your name?
They should sue him for the time he spent as senator and he must return our money he collected during that period and INEC must pay for overturned of the people mandates for not doing thorough work.
Section 31 of the Electoral Act states that INEC has no power or rights to disqualify any candidate(s) presented by a political party. Whether the nomination is contrary to the constitution or not..they don't have that power.

So INEC has no case.
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by cckalima: 11:55pm On Feb 15, 2020
Dansuqi:

Inec lacks disqualification powers.
who told you, so you mean if a candidate didnt meet the statutory requirement inec cant disqualify but have to approach the court to do that, oga i dont know u are talking about,if they lack such powers whats the essence of their screening exercise or its the court that screend grin
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:56pm On Feb 15, 2020
Dansuqi:

He had a sworn affidavit which is crucial

He swore an affidavit before a notary public but the notary public was not named...therefore legally that Affidavit is null and void.

Secondly the law says it is only the person who issued a certificate that can change the particulars of that certificate, so in any event the affidavit even if it were a valid document would have no legal consequence.

1 Like

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by fergie001: 11:57pm On Feb 15, 2020
cckalima:
who told you, so you mean if a candidate didnt meet the statutory requirement inec cant disqualify but have to approach the court to do that, oga i dont know u are talking about,if they lack such powers whats the essence of their screening exercise or its the court that screend grin
Dansuqi is correct...

Section 31 of the Electoral Act 2010 says such.....

Theirs is to conduct primaries

2 Likes

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by NGpatriot: 11:57pm On Feb 15, 2020
isthatso:

You again! you have come again abi, display your ignorance and stupidity? This matter was settled in a court case, details of which I cant remember, where it was determined that it is not the business of INEC to verify the authenticity of a candidate's documents. INEC's job is to make sure the document submitted meets the requirements.

INEC has said it many times even when GEJ was still president this matter came up, it is not their job but the job of the parties to verify candidates credentials. People are free to challenge in the court but it is not INEC's business.

INEC Releases Guidelines for Screening of Candidates

Preparatory to the National Assembly and state assembly elections expected to hold February 14, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) will commence the verification of the credentials submitted by the political parties on behalf of their respective candidates.

INEC, it was gathered, would be using the provisions of the constitution and the Electoral Act for the screening and verification of the documentation presented by the various candidates of the political parties.

In this regard, INEC would set up committees for the verification of candidates vying for national and state assemblies and members of these committees will be visiting the states to verify the personal particulars of the candidates between January 4 and 14.

As penalty for candidates with false credentials, INEC is threatening to impose a fine of N500,000 on parties that present such candidates.

http://www.imostateonline.com/politics/950-inec-releases-guidelines-for-screening-of-candidates.

Even with all your gra gra, you sound just like another ignorant illiterate.

1 Like

Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Dansuqi: 11:58pm On Feb 15, 2020
isthatso:

He swore an affidavit before a notary public but the notary public was not named...therefore legally that Affidavit is null and void.

Secondly the law says it is only the person who issued a certificate that can change the particulars of that certificate, so in any event the affidavit even if it were a valid document would have no legal consequence.
There is no forgery there conclusively.failing to get the institution to change the names is not a fatal mistake
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Nobody: 11:58pm On Feb 15, 2020
Divinalss:

It may interest you to know that yenagoa is one way in one way out.. There are no roads not to talk of good roads. Right now some workers have been paid and others are not because sterling bank has seized some part of the state allocation claiming that the govt is owing them money.

My brothers a lot has been happening in Bayelsa for the past 8years my people have never had it so tough despite the fact that Dickson received more than N1.7 trillion in 8 years.

I;m not a PDP man but you have all these problems and you still voted for Lyon? have you not heard the man speak? You think that kind of person has any plans?
Re: Full-text of the Supreme Court Judgement on Bayelsa by Alanpoza007: 12:00am On Feb 16, 2020
cckalima:
extreme,you dont go that far bros
You could clearly see the guy placing insults on me just because I aired an opinion, calling me an illiterate and all sorts. Do you expect me to keep quiet?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Buhari Accepts Abba Kyari’s Death As Will Of God – Garba Shehu / The Dumbness Of The “convoy ” Story: Buhari Should Stop Deceiving Nigerians / See What Fayose Wore To Distribute Rice (images)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.