Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,484 members, 7,812,502 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? (4843 Views)

2019 Mercedes-benz G550 Versus 2019 Mercedes-amg G63, Which Is Your Favourite? / Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer / This Japanese Robot Car,Earth-1,Can Fold & Park In Tight Spaces & It Costs £52k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by yungboss(m): 3:10pm On Feb 17, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Depends on the engines, imo.

Nissan's VQ engines are solid, same as Toyota's 2GR and Honda's J35.

These are the main V6 engines made by the big Japanese three and, imo, you'd have to be pretty careless to kill them under 200k miles.

Mercedes M113 and M113 engines are solid. The M272 and M273 are good too, but not quite as good as M112 and M113. M156 had head bolt issues, until 2011. No idea about the other V8's.

BMW engines are, imo, quite frail, especially the forced induction ones. The N54 and N55 are iffy.

Audi seems to have plenty of issues with timing chains. On the 3.2L V6 and 4.2L V8. The 2.0T engines were poor.

Imo, Japs make the more durable engines. But maintenance culture is a more important factor.
True, you are right. Some of the BMW engines,especially the N series, are not as dependable as one would expect...
There are a good number of solid ones- the M20, M40, M42, M50, M52, M54, M60, M62....those were very reliable, most come from the 90s and early 2000s.
I have had all mentioned but the M20,M40 and M42 ( the 4cylinder engines).I currently have the m62b44 (non vanos 98' e39 540i) and the N62b48 (e66 750li). The electronics of the 750 is a bit of a concern though. But both engines have good power and torque delivery. Despite only 286hp from the 540i, its a rocket, especially in triple digit speeds.
I also own a c350 (m272 engine), no problems so far...
It depends on how one uses the cars, maintenance with the right fluid and regular checks can see both type of engines easily reach 300k miles.

1 Like

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by 9icetoo(m): 5:46pm On Feb 17, 2020
Fentanyl:
for whomever is interested in actual factual information on the german vs Japanese build issue the OP raised:

https://jalopnik.com/how-bmw-and-toyota-overcame-a-culture-clash-to-design-t-1827831415

while you're at it, google NUMMI and how the american automakers were so enthralled by Toyota that they setup entire plants just to take advantage of their efficiency and reliability
You do realise the post says jap engines last over 250k miles while the Germans are just luxury cars that don't last that long. Shooting yourself in the foot there bro.
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by 9icetoo(m): 5:50pm On Feb 17, 2020
jaybabs1:

Until you drive a Benz you won't know what you've missed. I went from an almost toks Accord 1996 to a fairly old M.Benz 190 and I said what? What a better performance in the Benz...I stepped up to a C-Class later.
This topic is not about driving feel but about engine longevity. Google cars that have covered 1 million miles on a single engine. The only German car there is a BMW. The Mercedes there needed three engine transplants.
Modified.
There are quite a few Mercedes on the list.
But the japs are there as well and surprisingly, Volvo ruled the roost.
Splendid.
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by Fentanyl: 5:57pm On Feb 17, 2020
9icetoo:

You do realise the post says jap engines last over 250k miles while the Germans are just luxury cars that don't last that long. Shooting yourself in the foot there bro.

quoted the wrong person
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 8:22pm On Feb 17, 2020
jaybabs1:

Until you drive a Benz you won't know what you've missed. I went from an almost toks Accord 1996 to a fairly old M.Benz 190 and I said what? What a better performance in the Benz...I stepped up to a C-Class later.

You are right
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 8:29pm On Feb 17, 2020
9icetoo:

This topic is not about driving feel but about engine longevity. Google cars that have covered 1 million miles on a single engine. The only German car there is a BMW. The Mercedes there needed three engine transplants.
Modified.
There are quite a few Mercedes on the list.
But the japs are there as well and surprisingly, Volvo ruled the roost.
Splendid.

Is that so?

1 Like

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 8:32pm On Feb 17, 2020
uboma:

I beg to disagree.

Opel cars are very reliable.
... maybe it has to do with parts or lack of mechanics
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 8:35pm On Feb 17, 2020
nurey:

let me give you ones I snapped before, I am unavailable now and made my point in 2019 but I can't remember the thread

1981 Datsun sunny

Toyota Corolla E30 1974

Nissan atlas F22 1970s

Nice research....I am impressed
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 8:45pm On Feb 17, 2020
nurey:

you are very myopic and you need to go out more often.

The oldest Engine you would see in Nigeria is American Engines by Ford or those made by UK, followed by Nissan/Datsun engines. Don't always take Lagos as the basis of everything.

There are 18xx Engines and vehicles still on the road that weren't made by Germans or Japanese.

But Japanese still have older Engines compared to Germans in Nigeria. if you need evidence, I will point you to location, make, model as you deem necessary

Wait ooo 911 is Benz shaaaa and I grew up seeing it

Also Bedford is a strong engine also

All those molue are Benz
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by udemzyudex(m): 8:57pm On Feb 17, 2020
AmuDimpka:

They don't argue that one.. I started with Japanese car ( Nissan) that is the worst car one can ever drive another Mitsubishi ! Those engines are terrible ! Very weak and smokes

But since I switched to Benz! There has been rest of mind !

I talk from my own personal experience having driven both Japanese and now driving a Benz

Cars of same class?

You know just like phones ,there is midrange and flagship,the cars you're comparing with the Benz you're driving now ,are they in the same class?

How many years have you been driving the Benz compare to others and What's your maintenance culture on both cars?
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by nurey(m): 9:24pm On Feb 17, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Wait ooo 911 is Benz shaaaa and I grew up seeing it

Also Bedford is a strong engine also

All those molue are Benz

The Ford and UK cars I know are 1920s, they are used to haul water from Lagos water corporation in ikoyi infront of ikoyi club, anybody living or passing that area can attest.

I was at UDO in Edo state last week and a certain truck for hauling logs of wood I am certain is an 1800 vehicle, it is red in color I don't know the make but that vehicle plenty there.

There are 1950s Nissan atlas along Abeokuta Iseyin road, Honda sef no carry last alot of 1970 Civic and 70s accord in kaduna and Kano There are a lot of extremely old cars in Nigeria only when you travel often would your mouth be agape at seeing history in real life.

There are even very clean Benz W140 in the north park there with no use in villages.
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by ogbuefi677(m): 10:00pm On Feb 17, 2020
dicksonadams:

Try Toyota
Toyotas have the most fragile engines.
Small abuse,kaput.
1 in every 5 Camry or Corolla has had an engine or transmission change or rebuild
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by ogbuefi677(m): 10:03pm On Feb 17, 2020
HeavenlyBang:
Depends on the engines, imo.

Nissan's VQ engines are solid, same as Toyota's 2GR and Honda's J35.

These are the main V6 engines made by the big Japanese three and, imo, you'd have to be pretty careless to kill them under 200k miles.

Mercedes M113 and M113 engines are solid. The M272 and M273 are good too, but not quite as good as M112 and M113. M156 had head bolt issues, until 2011. No idea about the other V8's.

BMW engines are, imo, quite frail, especially the forced induction ones. The N54 and N55 are iffy.

Audi seems to have plenty of issues with timing chains. On the 3.2L V6 and 4.2L V8. The 2.0T engines were poor.

Imo, Japs make the more durable engines. But maintenance culture is a more important factor.
The M112 on Mercedes cars is unarguably d strongest engine on cars built since the year 2000
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by Fentanyl: 10:11pm On Feb 17, 2020
ogbuefi677:

Toyotas have the most fragile engines.
Small abuse,kaput.
1 in every 5 Camry or Corolla has had an engine or transmission change or rebuild

another example of blind dogmatic thought

you did not see all the objective evidence on the first page of this thread, no, you just prefer to be posting this fake merzedes superiority myth up and down like a robot

if 1 in every 5 Camry vehicles has had transmission repair, 4 of every 5 same generation merzedes models has had the same

2 Likes

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by 9icetoo(m): 10:25pm On Feb 17, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Is that so?
If you took your time to Google like I advised, you would have seen that Benz and other non German cars including Honda's and Toyota's and fords and most especially Volvo's on that list. This Benz was in that list too.
Make una try dey read small. Maybe just maybe you'd let go of this silly German superiority nonsense. Na so world war two take start.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by HeavenlyBang(m): 10:45pm On Feb 17, 2020
9icetoo:

If you took your time to Google like I advised, you would have seen that Benz and other non German cars including Honda's and Toyota's and fords and most especially Volvo's on that list. This Benz was in that list too.
Make una try dey read small. Maybe just maybe you'd let go of this silly German superiority nonsense. Na so world war two take start.

Funny enough, Germans themselves don't think their cars are more reliable or inherently superior than Japs. Americans, a neutral party, don't think that either.

Na these group of clowns for Nigeria dey carry am for head.

2 Likes

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by ogbuefi677(m): 11:02pm On Feb 17, 2020
Fentanyl:

another example of blind dogmatic thought

you did not see all the objective evidence on the first page of this thread, no, you just prefer to be posting this fake merzedes superiority myth up and down like a robot

if 1 in every 5 Camry vehicles has had transmission repair, 4 of every 5 same generation merzedes models has had the same
Can't you avoid quoting me?
Pls,na beg I de beg
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by adanny01(m): 12:44am On Feb 18, 2020
My 2cents.

I honestly don't see German car owners swapping engine like Japanese car owners in Nigeria. My assumption is that the German engine should be more durable. But wait, how many German cars take to the abuse in Nigeria. Just yesterday, a Benz owner was embarrassed at a hang out spot, his kazeemed cooling fan was so loud and raise an unbelievable amount of dust from under the engine bay and exhaust pipe. The dust was similar to the downwash that crashed the VP's helicopter in Kogi last year. Am abused Japanese will go miles but an Abused German car will leave anyone stranded and disappointed.

However, most German engines I have seen with same spec with a Japanese engine, the later will have more power and efficiency. I think this power and efficiency comes at the price of durability.

1 Like

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by adanny01(m): 12:49am On Feb 18, 2020
AmuDimpka:
Apart from personal experience...please hear from Japanese themselves

https://taiken.co/single/japanese-vs-german-cars/

But wait a minute, who compares German engineering with Japanese ! Yes Japanese they have tried in technology but Germans are known for great engineering feats

Let's be honest ...I hate sentiments

US holds the most patents of the technology in cars. Germans are second to the US. Where is the German feat you talk about?

When you talk about sentiments, count and hate yourself first.
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by uboma(m): 2:40am On Feb 18, 2020
AmuDimpka:
... maybe it has to do with parts or lack of mechanics

Opel spare parts are readily available.

As for the technical hands, you need to search for them.
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 10:42am On Feb 18, 2020
uboma:

Opel spare parts are readily available.

As for the technical hands, you need to search for them.

Great
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 10:43am On Feb 18, 2020
adanny01:

US holds the most patents of the technology in cars. Germans are second to the US. Where is the German feat you talk about?

When you talk about sentiments, count and hate yourself first.

So if USA has the highest and Germany second...so it makes German cars better than Japanese

That's my deductions ....so we are in same page bro
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 10:46am On Feb 18, 2020
ogbuefi677:

Can't you avoid quoting me?
Pls,na beg I de beg

LoL....he would be doing that.

I no fit laugh
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 10:47am On Feb 18, 2020
9icetoo:

But you said no Benz has reached 1 million mark naaaaa

No be wetin you talk ?
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 10:50am On Feb 18, 2020
udemzyudex:

Cars of same class?

You know just like phones ,there is midrange and flagship,the cars you're comparing with the Benz you're driving now ,are they in the same class?

How many years have you been driving the Benz compare to others and What's your maintenance culture on both cars?

Bros...the first car I used was Nissan! It showed me pepper ! When I bought a C class ...drove that car 4 years without opening the engine ! Buy Nissan ! Chai

Water pump today, gasket to tomorrow, timing chain next ...it's American model Sunny ex saloon

That was my experience shaaa! This was years anyway ! Cars I avoid as plague are Nissan, mistibushi and Mazda !
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by udemzyudex(m): 12:31pm On Feb 18, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Bros...the first car I used was Nissan! It showed me pepper ! When I bought a C class ...drove that car 4 years without opening the engine ! Buy Nissan ! Chai

Water pump today, gasket to tomorrow, timing chain next ...it's American model Sunny ex saloon

That was my experience shaaa! This was years anyway ! Cars I avoid as plague are Nissan, mistibushi and Mazda !

Noted.
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by 9icetoo(m): 2:07pm On Feb 18, 2020
AmuDimpka:

But you said no Benz has reached 1 million mark naaaaa

No be wetin you talk ?
And I had the intelligence to accept I was wrong When I verified the facts.
Can you lot do the same?

The answer to that question holds the key to your freedom.

1 Like

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by 9icetoo(m): 2:09pm On Feb 18, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Quit buying cheap abused cars. They were that cheap for a reason.
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by diportivo: 2:46pm On Feb 18, 2020
AmuDimpka:

Water pump today, gasket to tomorrow, timing chain next ... it's American model Sunny ex saloon

is that so?? undecided
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by Bizzyliss(m): 5:51pm On Feb 18, 2020
AmuDimpka:
German engineering.....I still see 1978 Benz 230 flat boots around and I still see 1956 Vboots

But I can't even see 1990 Toyota whatever around

It's German engineering
look for toyota dyna
Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 8:18pm On Feb 18, 2020
The truth is that most Benz and German cars comes with cast iron engine and it is more durable than aluminum...a simple physics and chemistry would tell us that aluminum isn't stronger than cast iron

One thing that makes some of the engines in Mazda, Nissan and Mitsubishi wear easily is because of aluminum engine blocks ...also the property used in .along the Pistons matters also....

I am trying to use physics! Also the maintenance and driving style matters also

Aluminum does have some drawbacks, however. As a metal, it's not as strong as iron and doesn't hold up to high levels of heat as well. Many early aluminum block engines had problems with cylinders warping, leading to concerns over durability.

End of discussion

1 Like

Re: Japanese Engine Versus German Engine, Which Last Longer? by AmuDimpka: 8:26pm On Feb 18, 2020
Bizzyliss:
look for toyota dyna

That was when Toyota were using cast iron to build their cars ..today they have all gone aluminum in Japan bro

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Project: Supercharging An LR3 / Changing AC Compressor From Automatic To Manual / 2013 Audi S5 Or 2013 BMW M3?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.