Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,341 members, 7,822,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:52 PM

Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) (51820 Views)

Permanent Site Of Computer Village At Katangowa Under Construction (Photos) / Traders Count Losses As ‘mysterious’ Fire Wipes Out Section Of Katangowa Market / Fire Engulfed Katangowa Market In Agbado/okeodo, Lagos State (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by BCISLTD: 9:53pm On Feb 17, 2020
sulaak:

Why should they offer solutions to squatters, Lagos cannot be the home for 200 million Nigerian.

The city is already an eyesore with slums in every corner, it about time the state government start destroying those slumps, maybe Nigerian will stay in their home state.

Well u have a point...but do you know that govt have been collecting taxes and tolls from this person's for years... and there are statutes in law that protect illegal settlers with years....

But it's all purely academic..

But lemme address ur unfortunate sentiments....lagos and and other state is home to all Nigerians...and people should not be held accountable for govt being stupid and unable to implement policies

1 Like

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by BCISLTD: 9:54pm On Feb 17, 2020
atobs4real:

I share your pain my brother, but the land in question is owned by the government. They all knew that. That particular land belongs the state government.

I get u...but it doesn't stop them from providing a soft landing ..after collect so much as rent over the years
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by Businext: 10:07pm On Feb 17, 2020
If you know you had ever patronised this market raise your hands

I did and I still have the shirt cheesy

Wonderful market

It will be greatly missed cry

But I'm all for urban planning but not at the detriment of human beings

#LetJusticePrevail
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by atobs4real(m): 10:10pm On Feb 17, 2020
BCISLTD:

I get u...but it doesn't stop them from providing a soft landing ..after collect so much as rent over the years
You are very correct. They make decisions as is they are God. May God help us fight for our right.
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by loveliveshere: 10:37pm On Feb 17, 2020
solmus:
cool

New Computer Village

as much as our Developer blodas selling bails of okirika have right to have a decent business, Lagos is a metropolitan state that can gain more and more from IT revolution, New Computer Village would be the Nigerians silicone Valley boasting of billions in IT revenue

everything is an opportunity to trivialise and tribalise issues. Seun is not doing much here to sanitise his forum

1 Like

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by timbs001(m): 10:50pm On Feb 17, 2020
NurseJP:
My Guy is affected, I just pray he bounce back, bro assisted me with funds when I needed cash to travel go England, such a good fellow

Help him bounce back. One good deed deserves another.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by Redman44(m): 10:53pm On Feb 17, 2020
Many years ago, I bought 2nd hand clothes at this market. I still remember how some of those shirts and trousers look like. This life smiley smiley smiley smiley. I am talking about the late 90's to about the year 2000. I went to the market with my brother and we joined people in scrambling for clothes. Most guys in my neighborhood patronized clothes sellers at Katangowa Market. I thank God for his mercies. However, I believe we don't know how to preserve historical markets in Nigeria. This Market should have been modernized and left at this same location. All the taxes collected from this people, what was the money used to do? I am sure the traders and cloth sellers at this market paid all kinds of taxes to the local council, state government and touts. Can the Lagos State Government account for all these monies they collected from these traders? Hmn.

2 Likes

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by jaxxy(m): 10:56pm On Feb 17, 2020
Don't think I've heard of this place b4. I'm surprised.
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by lifenajeje(m): 11:02pm On Feb 17, 2020
Hero10001:
Katangowa was the bigger boutique in the world.

If you know, you know.

I tell u..

This market made me wear grade 1 clothings that passed off as new during my school years..

Had to be in the market before 6 am by 6:45 am done with my picks ..

1 Like

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by deeptechcool(m): 11:35pm On Feb 17, 2020
2special:
Alade market that was diminished about 3years ago is still there with no building
When last did you visit there ?
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by Yankee101: 11:44pm On Feb 17, 2020
Why should the first 12 months be filled with agony?
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 3:37am On Feb 18, 2020
EKO ONI BAJE!

Glad the LASG no longer tolerates impunity and lawlessness...
Nigerians will moan about chaos and disorder while actively promoting same.

All Nigerians cannot live in Lagos (less than half-percent of Nigerian land mass)...
Especially since the NASS has always rejected making a special allocation to Lagos.

>
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 3:44am On Feb 18, 2020
mmsen:
These people were not buoyant in Lagos, what difference will it make if they go to Kaduna, Jos or Port Harcourt.

Lagos is overcrowded, too many people with nothing and nowhere proper to live. It's a recipe for disaster.
sulaak:
Why should they offer solutions to squatters, Lagos cannot be the home for 200 million Nigerian.

The city is already an eyesore with slums in every corner, it about time the state government start destroying those slumps, maybe Nigerian will stay in their home state.

BLESS YOU!
EKO ONI BAJE!!
>

1 Like

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 3:48am On Feb 18, 2020
2special:
Alade market that was diminished about 3years ago is still there with no building

Alade market redevelopment has been tied up in litigation...
>
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 3:54am On Feb 18, 2020
Enwhen:
If u are still in England, pls don't come back again....Nigeria is hell fire...and please try as possible u can to assist him please , I know England too it's not roses, but it's still heaven to Nigeria....

Let him try to set up an unauthorized 'okrika' market in England and see how fast he is deported...
Nigerians want to live in a civilized ordered country but support lawlessness and disorder in Nigeria. SMH

>
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by nedu2000(m): 6:09am On Feb 18, 2020
Past govts only loot now they loot,extort,seize,destroy,tax and arrest.
When will we have a govt whose forte is build,unite,distribute,invest,educate?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by PCFC(m): 7:55am On Feb 18, 2020
Na wa o

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by Enwhen(m): 8:24am On Feb 18, 2020
9jaRealist:

Let him try to set up an unauthorized 'okrika' market in England and see how fast he is deported...
Nigerians want to live in a civilized ordered country but support lawlessness and disorder in Nigeria. SMH

>

U are a slave , u haven't been to England and u want to say what u don't know....

The English don't wear second hand clothing, some of the okrika u see hear called first grade are from England , what they throw away and some for refugees in africa, what about second hand electronics ?, They are not useful in the UK, OUR LEADERS FAILED US IN AFRICA, Nobody is even talking about clothes now, but how to sleep with two eyes closed and when day break , what to eat is another issue but... Now u are blaming hard working citizens for trying to survive, NOW , like to me that u don't wear second hand clothing ?, or even third grade ?.... Our today leaders, most of them have never put on second hand clothing in their body because of founding fathers sacrifices alot for them , in terms of feeding, clothing, security, health , education....abeg go meet your Granny's to tell how it was, that Nigeria was even among the top 50 in the world.... But same people that benefited all these things from our founding fathers are the leaders of today sending their children abroad and making the common man go through hell in Nigeria , Almighty giant of Africa has become a joke over night.... The good news is that majority of Nigerians abroad are doing very well to show u that our leaders in Africa are cursed, and it will never be well with them, the souls of those dieing daily as a results of failed system due to the leaders selfishness and corrupt attitudes in public offices will continue to hunt their generation, they will never go unpurnished , it shall not be well with them, their generation will suffer more than what our innocent people are going through, peace will be far from them...and those of u supporting nonsense , I leave u for God, may posterity gudge u....

Everybody cannot be criminals, everybody cannot involves themselves with diabolical devices to survive, We believe God, God is not sleeping.
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by Horus(m): 9:49am On Feb 18, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4m1p-yceoY

Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by folajoy09(f): 12:17pm On Feb 18, 2020
Onlineclothing:
Order pants trousers 1500
Chinos 3k
Jeans 3.5
Turkey shirts 3.5
Tm Lewin Grade 1 4k
Payment on delivery within Lagos and nationwide delivery check contact on profile just click
All are Europe too brands and all sizes available

All these, are they grade or cha cha?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by tchidi066(f): 1:34pm On Feb 18, 2020
To be sincere, Lagos is congested and people should divert their attention to other states, but destroying people source of livelihood is not it, why not place an alternative...for those forming posh, these are also known as drift shops (you can also find them in advance countries )where they sell second hand goods, not everyone can afford brand new clothes

2 Likes

Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by youngbest(m): 2:26pm On Feb 18, 2020
InvincibleNIGGA:
This is so typical of many Nigerians (hypocritical nature)....
Though the govt also has it share of blame due...
The LASG informed them of the plan to demolish and relocate the market since 2011....
The people never saw diz coming 10-15yrs time (fact, cos they know govt don't act on time)
Same way d nearby ile-epo market went d way of TVISL (name of d new company managing ile-epo market)...
Pls don't blame the govt too much but rather give d bulk of blame to the iya-loja and baba-loja 9f d market who have been settled Buh refused to communicate duely with shop owners

The claim from the government is that the residents and traders were notified officially, in reality apart from hear say and the demolition notice painted on buildings on the 17th January 2020, there has been no official notice till date.
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by sulaak(m): 7:21pm On Feb 18, 2020
BCISLTD:

Well u have a point...but do you know that govt have been collecting taxes and tolls from this person's for years... and there are statutes in law that protect illegal settlers with years....

But it's all purely academic..

But lemme address ur unfortunate sentiments....lagos and and other state is home to all Nigerians...and people should not be held accountable for govt being stupid and unable to implement policies

If and when Lagos collapse into complete anarchy and it seems to be going in that direction, what will be your sentiment on the statutes in law that protect illegal settlers. I guess it will be let's move onto the next city until it is consumed by millions of illegal slums and squatter camps.....political correctness gone mad.

Even if the Lagos State government was as efficient as the government of Norway, it cannot manage the unsustainable migration of illegal settlers from other parts of the country, we thought when Abuja was made the capital, Nigerian will flock to Abuja, instead, the migration has increased, turning Lagos into a shithole when it is supposed to be the financial and commercial hub of Nigeria.

I support the notion of restructuring the country into 6 regions and reduced the centralisation of government, let each regions be provided with the funds to build their own Abuja
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by sulaak(m): 7:31pm On Feb 18, 2020
Enwhen:

U are a slave , u haven't been to England and u want to say what u don't know....

The English don't wear second hand clothing, some of the okrika u see hear called first grade are from England , what they throw away and some for refugees in africa, what about second hand electronics ?, They are not useful in the UK, OUR LEADERS FAILED US IN AFRICA, Nobody is even talking about clothes now, but how to sleep with two eyes closed and when day break , what to eat is another issue but... Now u are blaming hard working citizens for trying to survive, NOW , like to me that u don't wear second hand clothing ?, or even third grade ?.... Our today leaders, most of them have never put on second hand clothing in their body because of founding fathers sacrifices alot for them , in terms of feeding, clothing, security, health , education....abeg go meet your Granny's to tell how it was, that Nigeria was even among the top 50 in the world.... But same people that benefited all these things from our founding fathers are the leaders of today sending their children abroad and making the common man go through hell in Nigeria , Almighty giant of Africa has become a joke over night.... The good news is that majority of Nigerians abroad are doing very well to show u that our leaders in Africa are cursed, and it will never be well with them, the souls of those dieing daily as a results of failed system due to the leaders selfishness and corrupt attitudes in public offices will continue to hunt their generation, they will never go unpurnished , it shall not be well with them, their generation will suffer more than what our innocent people are going through, peace will be far from them...and those of u supporting nonsense , I leave u for God, may posterity gudge u....

Everybody cannot be criminals, everybody cannot involves themselves with diabolical devices to survive, We believe God, God is not sleeping.

Then go after your failed leaders and stop coming to Lagos. We don't want illegal squatters
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by Enwhen(m): 7:43pm On Feb 18, 2020
sulaak:

Then go after your failed leaders and stop coming to Lagos. We don't want illegal squatters

That's what I hate about some of u , u reason via your anus.... Are u from Lagos ?? , The binis in Edo owns lagos , but some buzu from various villages in Oyo, Ogun will be claiming Lagos.... u better be proud of your failed state, not even Baba Tinubu, former Gov of Lagos can claim Lagos, he is from Osun, same to many of u, who are wanted in your villages in Osun... I am from the Niger Delta , and I am proud of it, I don't do biz but I feel for those been frustrated by lazy govts who depends on our crude for survival.

Abuja and Lagos are what they are today because of our crude oil...Nigerian leaders in general failed , even your leaders failed, but for slave like u....I cast sense to ur head, receive it, ekpa
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by sulaak(m): 9:12pm On Feb 18, 2020
Enwhen:

That's what I hate about some of u , u reason via your anus.... Are u from Lagos ?? , The binis in Edo owns lagos , but some buzu from various villages in Oyo, Ogun will be claiming Lagos.... u better be proud of your failed state, not even Baba Tinubu, former Gov of Lagos can claim Lagos, he is from Osun, same to many of u, who are wanted in your villages in Osun... I am from the Niger Delta , and I am proud of it, I don't do biz but I feel for those been frustrated by lazy govts who depends on our crude for survival.

Abuja and Lagos are what they are today because of our crude oil...Nigerian leaders in general failed , even your leaders failed, but for slave like u....I cast sense to ur head, receive it, ekpa

The Bini's conquers Lagos and used Lagos as a trading fort, the first people in Lagos were the Awori's.

I have no problem with other ethnic Nigerian living in Lagos as long as they are not constituting a nuisance as illegal settlers and squatters. If you are born in Lagos, you are a Lagosian in my opinion.

Lagos and Abuja are what they are because the leaders of both regions used their influence to ensure the development of both cities, what were the leaders of the Niger-Delta doing when their crude oil resources was being used to develop other regions.

I will suggest you direct your anger to the lazy Niger-Delta leaders, that despite having the leverage to be kingmakers of Nigeria, will rather behave like slaves. Can you imagine that fool called GEJ built a railway line between Abuja and Kaduna while his home state of Bayelsa didn't even have an airport or major express road?
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by Enwhen(m): 9:20pm On Feb 18, 2020
sulaak:

The Bini's conquers Lagos and used Lagos as a trading fort, the first people in Lagos were the Awori's.

I have no problem with other ethnic Nigerian living in Lagos as long as they are not constituting a nuisance as illegal settlers and squatters. If you are born in Lagos, you are a Lagosian in my opinion.

Lagos and Abuja are what they are because the leaders of both regions used their influence to ensure the development of both cities, what were the leaders of the Niger-Delta doing when their crude oil resources was being used to develop other regions.

I will suggest you direct your anger to the lazy Niger-Delta leaders, that despite having the leverage to be kingmakers of Nigeria, will rather behave like slaves. Can you imagine that fool called GEJ built a railway line between Abuja and Kaduna while his home state of Bayelsa didn't even have an airport or major express road?

To u , Niger Delta leaders are bad, while your own leaders are the best...Yoruba and tribalism, God forbid... I can see that your region is US, everybody are enjoying , it's only the Niger Delta that are suffering, the northerners are enjoying , they have good leaders , they have been ruling for long, their people are doesn't lack.... 87% poverty.... I pity u slave.... I don't have time for u, I believe u drank gari and fish this afternoon and u are here spilling rubbish... Go sleep orue
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by sulaak(m): 5:07am On Feb 19, 2020
Enwhen:

To u , Niger Delta leaders are bad, while your own leaders are the best...Yoruba and tribalism, God forbid... I can see that your region is US, everybody are enjoying , it's only the Niger Delta that are suffering, the northerners are enjoying , they have good leaders , they have been ruling for long, their people are doesn't lack.... 87% poverty.... I pity u slave.... I don't have time for u, I believe u drank gari and fish this afternoon and u are here spilling rubbish... Go sleep orue

Niger-Delta leaders are useless, they control the region that has 94% of Nigeria wealth and yet they have no political power.
Re: Katangowa Market In Lagos Demolished By State Government (Photo) by 9jaRealist: 6:34am On Feb 19, 2020
Enwhen:

I ignore personal insults....
They merely betray a lack of substance and a crude personal upbringing.

Sticking to the SUBSTANCE of the matter under discourse, even without bothering to read your dissertation, it's obvious that you miss the point. If the citizens of England acted with the same impunity and lawlessness as those who set up this 'Okrika' market, the dude (and Nigerians running off to England) would have nowhere sane, civilized and organized to run off to. CITIZENS BUILD NATIONS - not vice versa!

Most Nigerians love to blame "leaders" as if they are from Mars rather than integral citizens of Nigeria who merely happen to hold public office at a point in time. But leaders emerge from within the society and often reflect the prevalent values of said society, and that's why people who are on TV pontificating one day become rapacious looters once afforded the opportunity of actually holding public office.

Finally, leaders are NOT limited to the political class or to public office holders or political leaders. Pastors, Imams, teachers, lecturers, parents, traditional rulers, coaches, job bosses, scout masters, etc., are all leaders in their own sphere who contribute towards shaping societal values and mores. Ultimately, however, Nigeria's condition is the culmination of the actions (by commission or omission) of ALL Nigerians!
>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu As Allstates Trust Bank Staff (1994 Throwback Photo) / See How I Was deceived By Loan App Agent / Importation Business As Plan 'B'. The Nitty Gritty.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.