Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,788 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:57 PM

Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (9475 Views)

Poll: Is Nigeria A Failed State?

Yes: 60% (71 votes)
No: 39% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Osun State Is Now A Failed State. Received Only 55 Million In FG Allocation / Anambra Governship Debate Is Holding Today At Awka House / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 9:04pm On Dec 17, 2010
strangerf:

^^^

Iro lepa Aunty mi

Nigeria has not failed

And, it is not failing

It is not America for sure, nevertheless it is a well functioning state!

Are you high? define well functioning. . . . . .
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by rasputinn(m): 9:44pm On Dec 17, 2010
No,if you see failed state you no go know
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by zoraro(m): 9:59pm On Dec 17, 2010
I hope that Nigeria will never be a failed state. I am sorry, but I think only an enemy of Nigeria/Nigerians will wish that for this Country. Like Chrisbenogor said, it is because Nigeria is not/can not be a failed state that is why we have so many problems today. The threat of been a failed state is not what should motivate Nigerians to make the Country better, the suffering is already unbearable as it is.
If Nigeria becomes a failed state the suffering will be 100 times more than it is today, all neighboring Countries (if not the whole West Africa) will be affected. The Nigerian civil war will be child's play compared to it, Nigeria's population today is more than 3 times what it was then.  
So I can't Imagine that a Nigerian will say/wish such for the Country.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bjcisse: 10:05pm On Dec 17, 2010
Nigeria is not a failed state. She might not be doing enough but still developing. that is why we refer to as a developing nation.

Please guys, if you have said something bad about this country on this thread, please delete it.

Reason being;

we are all not thinking logically, what makes you think we are not given an under-cover or a researcher an information for his/her report. This might be someone who is collecting information weather to invest in Nigeria or not which means job employment for our people.

Whatever we say online goes a long way that all of us and our children are still coming to suffer for it. Simple test will tell you that if you or anyone anywhere in the world just put the key word 'Failed State or countries' in  google search, 80% chances that nairaland would come out in the first ten search result and bring out this thread.

This thread simply enough to put  off people who want to invest here and consider your neighbor Ghana.

think guys, if things is not going well or smoothly, we should not contribute in ways that will spoil it the more.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 10:19pm On Dec 17, 2010
zoraro:

I hope that Nigeria will never be a failed state. I am sorry, but I think only an enemy of Nigeria/Nigerians will wish that for this Country. Like Chrisbenogor said, it is because Nigeria is not/can not be a failed state that is why we have so many problems today. The threat of been a failed state is not what should motivate Nigerians to make the Country better, the suffering is already unbearable as it is.
If Nigeria becomes a failed state the suffering will be 100 times more than it is today, all neighboring Countries (if not the whole West Africa) will be affected. The Nigerian civil war will be child's play compared to it, Nigeria's population today is more than 3 times what it was then. 
So I can't Imagine that a Nigerian will say/wish such for the Country. 

it seems most of you do not understand the dire situation Nigerian is in. There is no foundation for development and i am not talking of infrastructure here. The mental and psychological decay in Nigeria is unbelievable. future generations have been scared beyond belief. what is an abomination elsewhere is the norm. Think about it. if someone you know contests an election and wins, the first thing that pops into the average nigerians head is "man, e don hammer". The thought that should pop up is "how do i make him/her accountable", (which should be norm) but we have been scarred psychologicaly to the extent that the thought is instinctive. Nigerians have accepted corruption as a way of life. Another problem is denial. the average nigerian hates the truth And will fight tooth and nail to live in denial with the excuse that “God dey” or “you are not patriotic enough”. Meanwhile his/her circumstance is worsening but prefers to turn a blind eye and keep “hope” alive. My Guy, the country is failing rapidly with the brakes gone. And to prove my point. . . . .http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/dec/18/national-18-12-2010-001.htm
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 10:21pm On Dec 17, 2010
Go to wikipedia and search, Nigeria is ranked 14th on the list of failed states. Somalia and Chad are sitting comfortably at the top. Nigeria has failed in all areas hence, she deserves to be called a failed state.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:30pm On Dec 17, 2010
bidemi12:

it seems most of you do not understand the dire situation Nigerian is in. There is no foundation for development and i am not talking of infrastructure here. The mental and psychological decay in Nigeria is unbelievable. future generations have been scared beyond belief. what is an abomination elsewhere is the norm. Think about it. if someone you know contests an election and wins, the first thing that pops into the average nigerians head is "man, e don hammer". The thought that should pop up is "how do i make him/her accountable", (which should be norm) but we have been scarred psychologicaly to the extent that the thought is instinctive. Nigerian have accepted corruption as a way of life. Another problem is denial. the average nigerian hates the truth And will fight tooth and nail to live denial with the excuse that “God dey” or “you are not patriotic enough”. Meanwhile his/her circumstance is worsening but prefers to turn a blind eye and keep “hope” alive. My Guy, the country is failing rapidly with the brakes gone.
No it seems you are the one who does not understand what a dire situation is. This classic neo colonial way of thinking is what continues to haunt us, our democracy can never be like that of the west, we are a unique people and at our own pace we would get there. The atrocities committed in states like russia and china everyday would rival and even defeat that in Nigeria, no one holds anyone accountable in russia, putin has been in power since forever, how many places refer to them as a failed state? huh?
As for denial that is the real problem we have, are you going to come out with your family to at least try and kick the pdp out? Let us grow at our pace, corruption is part and parcel of our culture thats the sad truth. If the silly colonial masters had not put together this experiment we would not be in this much of a mess but still we have risen up and above and slowly we are celebrating more than ten years of democracy. It has not been easy but it would be worth it, all this suffer would pay off for our kids hopefully someday. Someday.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 10:40pm On Dec 17, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

No it seems you are the one who does not understand what a dire situation is. This classic neo colonial way of thinking is what continues to haunt us, our democracy can never be like that of the west, we are a unique people and at our own pace we would get there. The atrocities committed in states like russia and china everyday would rival and even defeat that in Nigeria, no one holds anyone accountable in russia, putin has been in power since forever, how many places refer to them as a failed state? huh?
As for denial that is the real problem we have, are you going to come out with your family to at least try and kick the pdp out? Let us grow at our pace, corruption is part and parcel of our culture thats the sad truth. If the silly colonial masters had not put together this experiment we would not be in this much of a mess but still we have risen up and above and slowly we are celebrating more than ten years of democracy. It has not been easy but it would be worth it, all this suffer would pay off for our kids hopefully someday. Someday.

Like i said before. DENIAL. GOD DEY. E GO BETTER. "YOU ARE NOT PATRIOTIC ENOUGH" Did you even bother to read the link i posted? see what your president is saying about democracy.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:49pm On Dec 17, 2010
bidemi12:

Like i said before. DENIAL. GOD DEY. E GO BETTER. "YOU ARE NOT PATRIOTIC ENOUGH" Did you even bother to read the link i posted? see what your president is saying about democracy.
Dude I did not read your link because you just added it. I am an atheist and I do not do the GOD crap, did you bother to read what I wrote at all? Is there anywhere I said we did not have problems? My point has been and will be that the problems we have are not unique and certainly not bad enough to give Nigeria a place on the high table with countries like Sudan somalia and chad.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by zoraro(m): 11:28pm On Dec 17, 2010
@bidemi12 I understand your frustration, the problems of Nigeria frustrates me too. I will however take the present corruption, decay, stagnation, insecurity over war, refugees, starvation etc. At least, there is a chance that things might change for the better however small or tiny that chance is. The pains of a failed state are 100 times more than what Nigeria has today.

tosag:

Go to wikipedia and search, Nigeria is ranked 14th on the list of failed states. Somalia and Chad are sitting comfortably at the top. Nigeria has failed in all areas hence, she deserves to be called a failed state.

The list includes every country in the world. It didn't say that the top 14 are the failed states.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by CGKing(m): 12:05am On Dec 18, 2010
Must Nigeria first start with F before you believe?
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Bluhazel: 12:22am On Dec 18, 2010
Those joining America to wish this country to be a failed state shall be disappointed.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by san26dy(f): 12:59am On Dec 18, 2010
Nigeria has failed since:

We can't get clean water to drink,
We can't have light for at least 4hrs straight without burning generator,
We can't have roads to drive on without having headaches,
We can't have a complete semester of classes without going on strike,
We can't have good healthcare without human beings dying like chicken,
We can't can't afford to have good meal without sacrificing other basic necessities,
Etc Etc

Tell me what country lacking basic amenities like these have not failed. whatever!!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bighead1(m): 2:07am On Dec 18, 2010
Naija is a total place of failure where nothing works out and never will.,
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 2:31am On Dec 18, 2010
And who the heck decides a failed state? Obama or Putin? who the heck? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by cheikh: 2:39am On Dec 18, 2010
Nigeria is an 'Ideal/Idyll' we wish & hope for because it is not yet uhuru or a full fledged nation/state but in name. Only a handful of persons exercise and control the apparatus of terror/coercion and consume the 'national' wealth. The Somalian stand a better chance of creating a viable nation/state out of the present chaos in the horn of Africa than the Nigerian. Nigeria was never a state let alone a nation so it cannot be adjudged a failed state but anyone can adjudge it so depending on your situation in the socio-political arena. It's - ' work in Progress'
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Obijulius: 4:02am On Dec 18, 2010
is this a question or a statement,

i'll rather it were a statement
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 18, 2010
zoraro:

@bidemi12 I understand your frustration, the problems of Nigeria frustrates me too. I will however take the present corruption, decay, stagnation, insecurity over war, refugees, starvation etc. At least, there is a chance that things might change for the better however small or tiny that chance is. The pains of a failed state are 100 times more than what Nigeria has today.

The list includes every country in the world. It didn't say that the top 14 are the failed states.
You and I know that Somalia is the No.1 failed state in the world. So, for Somalia to be No.1 on that list tells you that it is a form of ranking and our own 9ja is ranked 14th on the list. My brother, tell me , in what area has anything ever worked in Nigeria? Even our football has been affected by the failure syndrome. Things has gotten so bad that Nigerians are now seeking greener pasture in countries like Sudan and Zimbabwe.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by poweredcom(m): 7:35am On Dec 18, 2010
My dear, that country has scatter scatter.

A country that cannot protect, provide, and secure for its own citizen.

A country where you have opposing forces [boko harams in the North, Kidnapping in the East, Millitants in the ND]

A country where the idea of human rights is laughable, where brutality prevails.

A country where the politicians are more corrupt that the drug dealers in Mexico.

A country where election is not free and fair, where people are coerced to vote for a particular party.

A country where election becomes . . . .

Freedom of religion is gradually receding. You have gay Christian churches in Igboland being threatened to get burned down etc.

Give me your reasons why you you think Nigeria has not yet failed.

In addition. . .
A country known as the 5th or 6th largest oil producing but have failed refineries, fuel scarcity and queues everytime

A country that is just planning to install CCTV at airports at age 50 of independence but 96 years old

A country that still imports toothpick and matches at 50 of independence

A country that cant guarantee an hour power supply out of 24hrs for its citizens

A country where less than 500 legislatives spend 25% revenue and about 150million others spend 75%

A country that has cattles but still imports fresh milk

A country where poultries are finer than classrooms and graduates cant write about themselves

A country where you dont visit an exam centre but get the best result while those who read have to keep writing annually

A country where you have a monthly budget for mechanics cos your car will need him due to ditches (not potholes cos their sizes are bigger than the biggest pot) on the roads

A country where you walk and look back every min for security reasons

A country where robbers inform police of their upcoming operation in a particular area

A country where road is the only functioning means of transportation

A country where you spend 3hrs in traffic for a journey of 30 mins

A country where labour union is only for increase in civil servants salary while foreigners use citizens without pay and some citizens get maimed without compensation.

A country where nurses and doctors bark at patients (frustration) while patients beg with his money

A country where police rounds up innocent pple on streets and take them to prison without explanation or trial

Well, the answer is left for individuals to decide if its a failed state or successful one.

A country where food stuff is not cheap but there is enough land mass and good soil to plant and feed its citizen

A country where the gap between the rich and the poor is very very far

A country where private universities are more praised and encourages instead of empowering the federal or state ones whom are left to rotten

A country that does not have a second look for education sector only to pump money into irrelevant issues

A country that has so much sunlight and can not make solar energy cheap for an alternate use of electricity

A country that has bitumen and coal but has many bad interstate roads,

A country that the citizens cannot fight for their comon right by protesting even if the price of a loaf of bread is increased they will still say we go buy,

Ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nigeria tire me tire,
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by zoraro(m): 8:07am On Dec 18, 2010
tosag:

You and I know that Somalia is the No.1 failed state in the world.  So, for Somalia to be No.1 on that list tells you that it is a form of ranking and our own 9ja is ranked 14th on the list. My brother,  tell me , in what area has anything ever worked in Nigeria? Even our football has been affected by the failure syndrome. Things has gotten so bad that Nigerians are now seeking greener pasture in countries like Sudan and Zimbabwe.

Sudan and Zimbabwe are ranked 3 and 4 respectively on the list, which shows that the list is just a figment of someones imagination.
Sierra Leone and Liberia that just came out of civil wars are ranked better than Nigeria which shows that some people are actually wishing that Nigeria becomes a failed state and it is sad that some Nigerians are amongst them.
Nigeria has no business been amongst the poor nations in the world (I believe that the individual parts that make up Nigeria will do better if separated or co-federated.) but that is no reason to say Nigeria is a failed state.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by okpismart: 9:14am On Dec 18, 2010
Nigeria has not failed yet - The sooner our oil curse finish the quicker we get out of relegation zone
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 18, 2010
zoraro:

Sudan and Zimbabwe are ranked 3 and 4 respectively on the list, which shows that the list is just a figment of someones imagination.
Sierra Leone and Liberia that just came out of civil wars are ranked better than Nigeria which shows that some people are actually wishing that Nigeria becomes a failed state and it is sad that some Nigerians are amongst them.
Nigeria has no business been amongst the poor nations in the world (I believe that the individual parts that make up Nigeria will do better if separated or co-federated.) but that is no reason to say Nigeria is a failed state.   
It's good to see optimistic peeps like you. But I dont think you understand the severity of the situation, Nigeria is exhibiting every trait of a failed state. Kidnapping, militancy, chronic corruption, lack of credible elections, etc. Infact, if I continue to count the failures of this country you go cry.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by babamoha(m): 9:48am On Dec 18, 2010
Nigeria is not a failed state but the leaders are the failure in the state.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:08am On Dec 18, 2010
poweredcom:

A country where food stuff is not cheap but there is enough land mass and good soil to plant and feed its citizen

A country where the gap between the rich and the poor is very very far

A country where private universities are more praised and encourages instead of empowering the federal or state ones whom are left to rotten

A country that does not have a second look for education sector only to pump money into irrelevant issues

A country that has so much sunlight and can not make solar energy cheap for an alternate use of electricity

A country that has bitumen and coal but has many bad interstate roads,

A country that the citizens cannot fight for their comon right by protesting even if the price of a loaf of bread is increased they will still say we go buy,

Ohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nigeria tire me tire,
This could easily be china no? who is calling it a failed state? this could easily be india no? who is calling it a failed state?
The brits were wise enough to divide their kingdom into 4 abi? and left the monarch there abi? why did they not do so for Nigeria? because they wanted absolute power and even at that with our differences we still forge ahead.
Today even okada men and men in the villages all have handsets, they can communicate how many countries in sub saharan africa can boast of the number of phone lines Nigeria has? You say the country has failed what percentage of the population cannot eat? You all have the nerve to compare Nigeria to somalia and sudan? I feel very insulted. If we were a failed state why is the UN chasing GEJ around to intervene in Ivory coast huh? Which country single handedly brought liberia out of chaos huh? A failed state like Nigeria abi?
Even with our differences GEJ a man from the south minority is in charge of the whole Nigerian Armed forces and there has been no talk whatsoever of a coup. The earlier you silly peeps start to realise that this country is unique the better things would turn out for us.
tosag:

It's good to see optimistic peeps like you. But I dont think you understand the severity of the situation, Nigeria is exhibiting every trait of a failed state. Kidnapping, militancy, chronic corruption, lack of credible elections, etc. Infact, if I continue to count the failures of this country you go cry.
Russia displays all of the above traits too, there is chronic kidnapping and corruption in russia, there is militancy in russia (people like you know nothing of Chechnya), putin has been in power since forever has anyone referred to them as a failed state? huh?
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by tEsLim(m): 11:44am On Dec 18, 2010
Nigeria has been a failed state since independence. Dubai was built under 37years with oil money. That place was a desert. THey discovered oil after the Brits left. And used it very very well.

Nigeria is a failed state if all our ex-government officials are not in jail or held accountable. There are genocides,theft, and all sorts of corruption. Obasanjo should be taken to Hague for the Odi Village Genocide
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by adidek(m): 12:11pm On Dec 18, 2010
I think 'failed nation' is too harsh on GREAT NIGERIA, rather it is a developing nation. We're less than 50yrs of real independence. So a developing 'yes' a failed nation 'no'.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by olakintanj(m): 1:53pm On Dec 18, 2010
What do u say of a nation when every thing is in shamble. Ill-equipe school and hospital. Striking lecturers, marginalizing leaders, crumbling economy, millitancy, insecurity, bribing & corruption rigging of election. Is Nigeria not charaterized by all these? In fact, Nigeria has failed woefuly
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by okpismart: 2:31pm On Dec 18, 2010
I love this debate: It shows that Nigerians are really concerned about there nation. But i still maintain that Nigeria has not yet failed
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 18, 2010
^^^You dey talk like dis maybe becos you still dey chop 3 square meals a day.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Pakavy(m): 5:25pm On Dec 18, 2010
adidek:

I think 'failed nation' is too harsh on GREAT NIGERIA, rather it is a developing nation. We're less than 50yrs of real independence. So a developing 'yes' a failed nation 'no'.
nobody is tryin 2 b harsh or sound pesimistic rather we r just trying 2 cal a spade a spade so dat where posible we wont dig out d solution wit a shovel, a developin nation? 'no' a retrogresive nation?.'yes', its ova half a century since we got independence, in dat 50yr we hav been dependant all along, imagine dat d same ingrates dat were previledge 2 gt free education r d monkeys dat hav turn around 2 mess up d system dat made dem who dey r not wat dey bcame
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by SQout: 6:35pm On Dec 18, 2010
Niga is not a failed state, but a failing state. res ipsa loquitor
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 7:52pm On Dec 18, 2010
Nigeria will remain a failed state to those who see nothing good, and you will all KEEP failing in Nigeria if you believe Nigeria is FAILED state.

Since a failed state means a non-performing state, you all saying Nigeria is one will also fail and be un-performing if you are in Nigeria.

If you are not in Nigeria and you claim Nigeria is a failed state, then i have nothing to tell you because you surely do not know anything about the peculiarity of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Buhari’s Speech At The National Executive Committee Meeting Of APC / 12 Opposition Parties Back PDP In Enugu As G-5 Governors Express Confidence / China Warns Citizens In Nigeria Against Maltreating Employees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.