Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,272 members, 7,954,066 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:48 AM

Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (9621 Views)

Poll: Is Nigeria A Failed State?

Yes: 60% (71 votes)
No: 39% (47 votes)
This poll has ended

Osun State Is Now A Failed State. Received Only 55 Million In FG Allocation / Anambra Governship Debate Is Holding Today At Awka House / Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Dec 19, 2010
Lol, no it is not. Liberia, Sierra Leone AND Somalia (sometimes Angola & DRC) are.
Not Nigeria.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:48pm On Dec 19, 2010
bidemi12:

@Chrisbenogor, your rethoric to the layman would be close to intelligent but to people like us who obviously and truely intelligent, it would be a tough sell.
First of its "rhetoric" and I know you are intelligent, I certainly hope my points make sense to the layman because the elite of the society like you have only come up time and time again with flawed analysis that have taken this country nowhere.
bidemi12:

Let me dismantle your so called logic step by step. Step 1, you agree there is decay on all levels of society right? so how can you trust the next man to follow through on his pledge to fight with you when the time comes? You don’t even trust people of different tribes in the so called error called Nigeria.

You talk about logic in your method *scoffs* seriously?
We both agree that there is decay, that would certainly mean that everyone that wants a change would work to achieve the change. Questions like how can I trust bedemi12 to go through on his promise to fight for that change would take us nowhere, if that time comes and renege on your promise for reasons best known to you fine. But you loose the right to complain that this country is messed up, my point has always been lets come out and try yours has been there is no need to try.
Step 2, if all levels of society has been corrupted where do you start from but from the beginning. And the beginning my friend-in-denial is from the future generation. Start teaching them what is right now so our future can be guaranteed.
I hope the odeku you took would have cleared from your system(and oh tell that unilag girl to allow you read  grin )
Where is the logic in what you have said above my Einstein-wannabe friend? If all levels are corrupt, who will teach the future generation? In fact how can any child learn what will take Nigeria forward from you for instance? or are we supposed to program robots to do it? How will you teach your child when the patriotism you have shown on this thread is only as much as the hair strands on a vulture's head?
Step 3, you claim violence is the answer I agree with you but not in Nigeria. Do you think I will trust my life to someone who does not know which way is up when holding an m16 or would desert me when shown cash. Like I said before violence is not strange to me but I would never trust a computer warrior when he is trying to lead me into one. Especially one from Nigeria where at the sound of gunfire would disappear like the wind. Believe me war sounds great until you are in it my bro. I have done two tours so I know what I am talking about.
Laying down you life means more than violence and that is the last thing I would support, Ghandi laid down his life through peaceful resistance and we can surely adopt that in Nigeria. It must come with knowing that if we cannot fight for our children's future no amount of tutoring would change anything.
In conclusion, we have no recourse but to resort to bringing up our children the right way to take over for the future because if they are as messed up as this generation is then the cycle will continue.
Logic must really suck for you my friend, so we are going to assume that the kids you will raise the right way would not interact with the decaying system?  Are they going to be raised in a test tube where they would not see adults like you openly saying their country is a sorry mistake?
Take my advice, when you get to the beer parlour after a couple of odeku bottles you can begin to pass this hogwash to your fellow comrades in laziness. But when you come to a forum like this, you gotta clean up your act bro.

Sincerely yours,
Chris.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:01pm On Dec 19, 2010
EKONGKING:

Chris I admire your patriotism and feel something has to be done .But we also have to acknowledge Nigeria is Failed state or something close to it.
you have given example of russia and middle east having flawed democratic process which is in common with Nigeria. YES i agree with you but thats it but you cant compare the standard of living ,quality of life index
India has population of 1.2 billion which is 8 times nigerian population so obiously there will be more number of slums and poor people when compared to nigeria. The important thing is the percentage of people which is below poverty line.
regarding electricity india has percaptia consuption of 50.5 watts compared to nigerias 14.6
life expectancy of india is 63.7 compared to 46.9 in case of nigeria (nigeria since it independence has acheived a increase of 1 year in life span)
India has rebel problem in form of  left wing rebels i agree and thats what iam worried about nigeria, India for 50 years upto 1997 have achieved very little growth leading to dissatisfaction and anger against the government leading to left wing violence in 5 states. Same thing can happen in nigeria too the conditions are similar
I understand your point and I am not in anyway saying we are having a jolly time here in Nigeria, but its not that bad and there is certainly room for improvement. What I have taken as an insult is roping Nigeria, sudan and somalia in the same category, that is flawed reasoning at best. I pointed out russia china and the middle east to show that we are not that far away and the problems are not unique to Nigeria. The Nigerian government bad as it is, is in total control of this country and that is the strongest indicator, no one cartel can hold a state ransom for instance. I mean how can you call on a failed state to help failed states in africa?
Quality of life may not be high in Nigeria, but I am sure its a lot better than other places and if it is not good enough lets us put people who are accountable to us in power. Simples!!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by bidemi12(m): 11:20pm On Dec 19, 2010
Chrisbenogor:

I understand your point and I am not in anyway saying we are having a jolly time here in Nigeria, but its not that bad and there is certainly room for improvement. What I have taken as an insult is roping Nigeria, sudan and somalia in the same category, that is flawed reasoning at best. I pointed out russia china and the middle east to show that we are not that far away and the problems are not unique to Nigeria. The Nigerian government bad as it is, is in total control of this country and that is the strongest indicator, no one cartel can hold a state ransom for instance. I mean how can you call on a failed state to help failed states in africa?
Quality of life may not be high in Nigeria, but I am sure its a lot better than other places and if it is not good enough lets us put people who are accountable to us in power. Simples!!

God see logic. Have you not been listening? As Nigerians we are too prone to deceiving ourselves. So because we offer peace missions, and dash out funds we cannot afford qualifies us not being a failed nation. That trait is a Nigerian trait, fake bigmanism, spending more that he can afford, purposely distracting its citizens from the real problems at home. Wait a minute, why is Nigeria so different from Somalia and sudan? Having peppersoup to eat at evening times does not qualify as development you know. In the case of sudan both have wars going on, both lack security, their electoral  machinery is flawed. Both cannot manage the oil that they possess. Their social infrastructure is decaying rapidly, both countries have thieves in govt, so pray tell why is Nigeria so different from sudan. Have you been to the Christian part of sudan? You would think you were in lagos or Abuja. I know this because I have Sudanese friends and I have seen pictures just like I have shown them pictures of Abuja to make them realize that Nigeria is not completely like the niger delta. So please tell me what is the difference?
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by honeric01(m): 11:38pm On Dec 19, 2010
Those who believe Nigeria is a failed state should hold unto their belief, it's your cross to carry, and as for those who think otherwise, it's our cross too to carry, whichever way you are looking at Nigeria depends on how Nigeria has treated you or how high you have the issue of the country at heart.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:52pm On Dec 19, 2010
bidemi12:

God see logic. Have you not been listening? As Nigerians we are too prone to deceiving ourselves. So because we offer peace missions, and dash out funds we cannot afford qualifies us not being a failed nation. That trait is a Nigerian trait, fake bigmanism, spending more that he can afford, purposely distracting its citizens from the real problems at home. Wait a minute, why is Nigeria so different from Somalia and sudan? Having peppersoup to eat at evening times does not qualify as development you know. In the case of sudan both have wars going on, both lack security, their electoral  machinery is flawed. Both cannot manage the oil that they possess. Their social infrastructure is decaying rapidly, both countries have thieves in govt, so pray tell why is Nigeria so different from sudan. Have you been to the Christian part of sudan? You would think you were in lagos or Abuja. I know this because I have Sudanese friends and I have seen pictures just like I have shown them pictures of Abuja to make them realize that Nigeria is not completely like the niger delta. So please tell me what is the difference?
I am beginning to think that you are just writing for the sake of argument, so you concede that we are regularly asked to send peace keepers abroad abi? Who will ask Sudan to send troops anywhere? Do these countries have a seat at the UN security council?
You dare ask why Nigeria is different from somalia and sudan?
We have a GDP (PPP) of $341.572 billion, sudan has just $98.926 billion and somalia a paltry $5.731 billion  shocked shocked ARE YOU EVEN NIGERIAN?
Sudanese militia are in control of vast sections of the country as for somalia lets not even go there. In fact I would stop here because you have insulted my country enough. If intelligence were dynamite you would not have enough to blow a wig off your head. I am done with you, NEXT!
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by SapeleGuy: 12:00am On Dec 20, 2010
I Am Nigeria
By SG OBOYO

I am Hungry, Please Re-brand me!

I am Nigeria. I have millions of acres of arable land and billions of cubic litres of water, but I cannot feed myself. So I spend $1 billion to import rice and another $2 billion to import milk. I produce rice, but don’t eat it. I have 60 million cattle but no milk. I am hungry, please re-brand me.

I drive the latest cars in the world but have no roads. I lose family and friends everyday on roads for which funds have been looted. I lose my young, my old, and my most brainy and productive people to the potholes, craters and crevasses they travel on everyday. I have mourned enough, please re-brand me.

My school has no teacher and my classroom has no roof. I take lecture notes through the window and live with 15 others in a single room. All my professors have gone abroad, and the rest are awaiting visas. I am a university graduate, but I am illiterate. I want a future, please re-brand me.

Malaria, typhoid and many other preventable diseases send me to hospitals which have no doctors, no medicines and no power. So my wife gives birth with candle light and surgery is performed by quacks. All the nurses have gone abroad and the rest are waiting to go also. I have the highest maternal and infant mortality rates in the world and future generations are dying before me. I am hopeless, hapless and helpless, please re-brand me.

I wanted change so I stood all day long to cast my vote. But even before I could vote, the results had been announced. When I dared to speak out, silence was enthroned by bullets. My rulers are my oppressors, and my policemen are my terrors. I am ruled by men in mufti, but I am not a democracy. I have no verve, no vote, no voice, please re-brand me.

I have 50 million youths with no jobs, no present and no future. So my sons in the North have become street urchins and his brothers in the South have become militants. My nephews die of thirst in the Sahara and his cousins drown in the waters of the Mediterranean. My daughters walk the streets of Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt, while her sisters parade the streets of Rome and Amsterdam. I am inconsolable, please re-brand me.

My people cannot sleep at night and cannot relax by day. They cannot use ATM machines, nor use cheques. My children sleep through staccato of AK 47s see through the mist of tear gas. The leaders have looted everything on the ground and below. They walk the land with haughty strides and fly the skies with private jets. They have stolen the future of generations yet unborn and have money they cannot spend in several lifetimes, but their brothers die of hunger. I want justice, please re-brand me.

I can produce anything, but import everything. So my toothpick is made in China; my toothpaste is made in South Africa; my salt is made in Ghana; my butter is made in Ireland; my milk is made in Holland; my shoe is made in Italy; my vegetable oil is made in Malaysia; my biscuit is made in Indonesia; my chocolate is made in Turkey and my table water made in France. My taste is far-flung and foreign, please re-brand me.

My people are cancerous from the greed of their friends who bleach palm oil with chemicals; my children died because they drank ‘My Pikin’ with NAFDAC numbers; my poor die because kerosene explodes in their faces; my land is dead because all the trees have been cut down; flood kills my people yearly because the drainages are clogged; my fishes are dead because the oil companies dump waste in my rivers; my communities are vanishing into the huge yawns of gully erosion, and nothing is being done. My livelihood is in jeopardy, and I am in the uttermost depths of despondence, please re-brand me.

I have genuine leather but choose to eat it. So I spend a billion dollars to import fake leather. I have four refineries, but prefer to import fuel, so I waste more billions to import petrol. I have no security in my country, but would rather send troops to keep the peace in another man’s land. I have 160 dams, but can not get water to drink, so I buy ‘pure’ water that roils my innards. I have a million children waiting to enter universities, but my ivory dungeons can only take a tenth. I have no power, but choose to flare gas, so my people have learnt to see in the dark and stare at the glare of naked flares. I have no direction, please re-brand me.

My people pray to God every morning and every night, but commit every crime known to man because re-branded identities will never alter the tunes of inbred rhythms. Just as the drums of heritage heralds the frenzied jingles, remember - the Nigerian soul can only be Nigerian - fighting free from the cold embrace of a government that has no spring, no sense, no shame. So we watch the possessed, frenzied dance, drenched in silent tears as freedom is locked up in democracy’s empty cellars. I need guidance, please re-brand me.

But then, why can I not simply be me, without being re-branded? Or does my complexion cloud the color of my character? Does my location limit the lengths of my liberty? Does the spirit of my conviction shackle my soul? And is this life and country Nigeria worth re-branding without Christ Jesus?
I am not yet born, please re-brand me. Nigeria needs your prayers, ,
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by zoraro(m): 12:17am On Dec 20, 2010
@bidemi12 if we all most agree to bring up our children in the proper ways to change things why can't we all then agree to change our bad ways now, Is this not a egg-before-the-chicken problem? Which comes first.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by poweredcom(m): 12:49am On Dec 20, 2010
Yes, electricity is not constant, not because we cannot have a constant electricity, but because people like you are fond to always nag nag nag without any action, we all know why we don't have constant electricity (corruption from the few elite), yet we that are bearing the brunt have failed to act, we sit down, nag about all our problems without taking any action.

ELECTION IS COMING, VOTE THESE PEOPLE OUT, if smaller & bigger countries could fix electricity for their own country, why can't we have the same? answer is corrupt leaders and weak followers who only know how to nag and whine, yet wouldn't act.
You make me laugh. You are talking of voting out corrupt leaders. We dont elect leaders in this country .They are selected by the top caucus. If Nigeria is not a failed state ibori, ibb, odili, lucky igbins, uduaghan, dariye, alamieyeseigha, patricia etteh, atiku and others would have been languishing in jail. If not for britain and UAE, ibori would have squashed the case long ago.

Ol boy tell am e be like say im uncle dey for power dey send am money, Nigeria is one useless nation of humanity i must confess
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 2:15am On Dec 20, 2010
Pls my friends know dat everything u write here is been read by outsiders and children unborn that doesn't mean we should claim dat everything is okay why it is not but we should take a look @ western world or even whitemen world they have problems they may post it and also post how to tackle it so if the problem is not eradicated in their era, the patrotic children can learn 4rm d solution. AT CHRISBENOGOR i really appreciate ur words and please know that almost d nigerians on NL lives abroad so can bash d country because they will never come back neighther will their children DO.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Ultrame(m): 8:23am On Dec 20, 2010
Absolutely. There's no doubt about it.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 20, 2010
We are on a fast lane leading to dat distination, all most close.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by AjanleKoko: 11:57am On Dec 20, 2010
Nigeria hasn't even taken off, and people are talking about failed state.
Nigeria hasn't failed, and is not likely to fail any time soon.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by jaybee(f): 12:15pm On Dec 20, 2010
@ yeswecan

There is no such thing as a failed state neither is there a third world.

for third world (or third world regions) i may not say; but there exist failed states, and Nigeria is one.

@ honeric01
Those who believe Nigeria is a failed state should hold unto their belief, it's your cross to carry, and as for those who think otherwise, it's our cross too to carry, whichever way you are looking at Nigeria depends on how Nigeria has treated you or how high you have the issue of the country at heart.

dear, it's not an issue of the heart; wake up from your slumber. we are talking of reality. what is on ground. not heart. the mad person on the street hardly knows he/she is sick. that he/she feels alright does not make him/her healthy. so you may wish to stop wishful thinking in your heart.

@ byrron
We are on a fast lane leading to dat distination, all most close
for emphasis, [size=20pt]Nigeria is already a failed state[/size], fast moving towards a [size=20pt]collapsed state[/size].

for those who feel otherwise, i suggest you first find out the [size=20pt]definition of a failed state[/size], then take a wholistic unbiased look at what we call nigeria and make a comment.

a simple google search on failed nations will do you a little good.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by badlaw(f): 1:24pm On Dec 20, 2010
[b][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][size=8pt][b][color=#990000]no doubt nigeria is a fail state. though me i dey make my money dey go.sorry for nigeria as a country[/size][/size][/size][/size][/b][/b][/color]
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by namdo(m): 2:57pm On Dec 20, 2010
we are experiencing some problems, the nation has not failed yet. How many years did it take some western states to stand as a progressive nation?
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by IBEXY(m): 4:21pm On Dec 20, 2010
namdo:

we are experiencing some problems, the nation has not failed yet. How many years did it take some western states to stand as a progressive nation?
angry

The argument was interesting till I read this. You can talk of "how long" when there is progress. In our case, its like "how long" till total collapse. Are we progressing or retrogressing? In the later, the faster it goes the better. A fast death is far better than one prolonged period of suffering and gradual decay!

You used "progressive nation" in your response. Good. Would you say Nigeria has really progressed in the last 30yrs? All the good roads built by the then progressives in the 70s and 80s have been left to decay.

Mind you, denial is not patriotism. That you refuse to critcise evil or that you accomodated it all your life makes you an accomplice and not a patriotic Nigerian.

Many people think suffering and smiling in silence qualifies them to be the real deal Nigerians. Bah! You are excatly what the politicians love. The silly ones who cant talk and have refused to understand their rights to freedom of speech. Freedom from government imposed suffering and a right to live above $1 a day because your country can afford it.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by idifu(m): 12:49pm On Dec 21, 2010
A country dat can not cater for her own ppl is a failed state
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by manblaaque(m): 1:50pm On Dec 22, 2010
nigeria isnt a failed state.it's a failing state,
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by tck2000(m): 2:23pm On Jul 16, 2020
strangerf:
No, it is not
Somalia is a failed state Haiti is a failed state Honduras, Colombia, And Cuba have all failed
No, Nigeria is on the brink of failing, but hasnt failed yet.
Re: Debate: Is Nigeria A Failed State? by tck2000(m): 2:27pm On Jul 16, 2020
strangerf:
No, it is not
Somalia is a failed state Haiti is a failed state Honduras, Colombia, And Cuba have all failed
No, Nigeria is on the brink of failing, but hasnt failed yet.
Ho

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Atedo Peterside & Ben Bruce Appointed By Newly Sworn-in Bayelsa Gov Dickson / Buhari Is A Useless Nonentity Kunu Drinker And The Worst President In The World / PDP Leadership Tussle; Sheriff, Markarfi Refuse To Shift Ground.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.